Skip to content

Thieving is Too Easy! Add Missing Thief Armor Penalties

bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
edited January 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
At the end of this game, even with a Fighter/Thief who gets much less points to invest in Thief skills, I'm able to disarm almost every trap in the game (there was one I could not). On top of that you throw in potions to further enhance that, these characters are too easy to play. If it's this easy to disarm traps as a Fighter/Thief, a pure Thief is downright overpowered.

Currently only Elven Chain and Hide Armor have the penalties, Leather and Studded leather do not (and Chain for Bards).

According to the original Baldur's Gate manuals, and D&D rules, characters are supposed to receive a penalty to thieving abilities by wearing armor. I understand this alone does not mean penalties should be added. However, I do believe the penalties would help balance thieving based on my game play experiences.

I ask to put in the penalty, that was originally advertised as being in the game, to help balance the ease of thieving that currently exist in game.
Post edited by bigdogchris on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

According to the Baldur's Gate manuals, and D&D rules, characters are supposed to receive a penalty to thieving abilities by wearing armor.

PnP doesn't apply here, and I'd suggest caution when citing the manual as a source since it's notoriously bad. This specifically is not mentioned in the BG manual, and in BG2 it follows a page that lets you know your thief's scores for read languages and climb walls.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited January 2013
    I'm going to start a petition to have the D&D label taken off the box, or at least add an asterisk *in name only.

I'm going to start a petition to have the D&D label taken off the box, or at least add an asterisk *in name only.

If it cuts down on the number of times I have to tell people that BG isn't PnP, I'll be the first person to sign it. :)

My point was really to prod you into arguing for this on its merits as a feature, of which there are many, rather than as another 'PnP does it differently' thread. I don't really view the thieving penalties in armor as nerfs at all (since it lets you use skills which are otherwise outright disallowed) and I think you'd get a lot more support if you couched your arguments accordingly.

Personally, I'm ambivalent--this is one instance where mods have already enabled this choice so the default setting, so to speak, doesn't matter too much.
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure you've had the PnP vs. game argument for many years, and you're tired of hearing it, but being part of the rules is not the the only reason I listed.

If developers want to open up the game to modding so that people who want to change the rules can, just like a DM can, then I'm fine with that. However, I think that if developers are going to subscribe to the idea that this is a tactical D&D based game and want to use that label, then they owe it to the game and the fans of the game to at least try and follow the rules where they are able to.

As tired as you are about the PnP rule argument, I'm equally tired of not following the rules "just because".

If people don't want Dungeons and Dragons, then I say play another game.
    CamDawg said:

If it cuts down on the number of times I have to tell people that BG isn't PnP, I'll be the first person to sign it. :)

You have said that many times. However, this is a D&D, which is PnP. Saying it should follow the rules because of that fact, alone, has more weight than someone saying not to follow the rules, "just because" which you seem to be insinuating by saying "Being PnP is not enough of a reason".
    CamDawg said:

Personally, I'm ambivalent--this is one instance where mods have already enabled this choice so the default setting, so to speak, doesn't matter too much.

This being a D&D game and all, wouldn't it make more sense to have mods to break the rules, rather than have mods be required to follow the rules?
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think what he's saying is that he's ambivalent with regard to this case, because mods have already handled it, which means that it not being in the game doesn't necessarily mean it can't be done.

There is a significant difference between what works for PnP and what works for video games, and that difference is the reason why so much of the PnP structure was omitted for BG (non-weapon proficiencies, for example).

Implementing something like this means shifting the balance of several abilities in a meaningful way, which means taking a lot of other factors into consideration; so it's important that the argument be more substantial than "Because that's how it works in PnP", because if it's done for the wrong reasons, it might be done poorly, and it might ruin some other things that weren't anticipated.

On the other hand, if you state reasons why this feature would be helpful or a positive addition to the game, then it's possible that the developers might be able to find an even better way of implementing it than what you originally proposed, which makes it a meaningful but not ruinous addition.

Right now, CamDawg's argument is, "It shouldn't be done because that's not how it works right now", which is a more substantial argument than "it should be done because that's how it works in another, similar game."
    I didn't want to derail this into a PnP discussion, but I do want to touch on a couple of points.

I'm sure you've had the PnP vs. game argument for many years, and you're tired of hearing it, but being part of the rules is not the the only reason I listed.

I usually flee once the rules lawyers show up, but I've been forced to have this conversation many times for the BG2 Fixpack, especially given how open we are about everything.

If developers want to open up the game to modding so that people who want to change the rules can, just like a DM can, then I'm fine with that. However, I think that if developers are going to subscribe to the idea that this is a tactical D&D based game and want to use that label, then they owe it to the game and the fans of the game to at least try and follow the rules where they are able to.

As tired as you are about the PnP rule argument, I'm equally tired of not following the rules "just because".

Sure, but the nature of these discussions almost always lose sight of the forest for the trees. Overall the game is pretty true to the PnP rules and it's only the divergences that spur these discussions. Armor, in general, follows PnP fairly closely, but we don't focus on those broad swaths of agreement because we've found this corner of the game where they don't. To claim BG is not a D&D game because of the dev house rules is hyperbole.

If people don't want Dungeons and Dragons, then I say play another game.

CamDawg said:

You have said that many times. However, this is a D&D game. Saying it should follow the rules because of that fact, alone, has more weight than someone saying not to follow the rules, "just because" which you seem to be insinuating by saying "Being PnP is not enough of a reason".
    PnP by itself is not a reason. It's possible the devs were ignorant of PnP rules; maybe they implemented PnP but the playtesters didn't like it or it was too difficult for a broader audience to understand; perhaps they felt the rules were unworkable; perhaps they thought they had a better system and used it instead. These are all reasonable conclusions and different people put different weights on them. Since the game is pretty close to PnP overall I don't put much weight in the first, and my experience bugfixing and modding has given me a lot of appreciation for the rest. You see the armor penalties partially implemented and conclude we should extend them everywhere; I see the partial implementation and conclude they probably found this simpler system to be better or it was preferred by their players. What we can't conclude is that they were unaware of the rule; they simply didn't follow it.

There's also the school of thought that the reasons no longer matter--we have the capability to implement PnP rules and we should do so, regardless of the original reason to diverge from the ruleset. Setting aside the conceit, this is correct insofar as we do have the capability, as many PnP mods demonstrate, but broad mandates for change should be met with equally broad skepticism. I load up my game with PnP rule mods since I happen to prefer them (and this one in particular since I wrote the mod), but I have a much higher bar for changing the way everyone else has to play.
    edited January 2013
    My argument is philosophical. I want the developers to take the stance that this, and future projects, are tactical; "bring Dungeons and Dragons to video games", just like the Zeb Cook said they wanted to do in his 'Welcome to Baldur's Gate' message. I think it's possible to go above and beyond what time and money allotted the original team to do, especially in a crowd sourced game like this is.

So if you're asking me to list reasons why giving Thieves negative skills is a good thing for the game, I can't, other than to say I want the game to take itself seriously.

I'm not asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars in manpower be spent on adding in the endless amount of out-of-combat skills or non-weapon proficiencies and feats. I'm only asking that the implemented features that can follow the rules, do.

There's nothing stopping this game from properly implementing Thieving armor penalties,
    There's nothing stopping this game from properly implementing proper Constitution regeneration,
    There's nothing stopping this game from properly implementing proper Elf sword THAC0 bonuses,

...except just not wanting to.

What makes matters worse is when I read things where part of bugs are fixed (like Elf Charm resistance), but the other bugs (THAC0) that are nerfs, are ignored.

So I ask again;

Does it make more sense for a game that is trying to "bring...the AD&D game alive on the computer like no other game before it" require mods to follow the rules?

OR:

Does it make more sense for a game that is trying to "bring...the AD&D game alive on the computer like no other game before it" require mods to break the rules?

@Camdawg, you prove my point. "I have a much higher bar for changing the way everyone else has to play."

My poll here shows that the majority if people want to follow the rules.

So again, doesn't it makes more sense to follow the rules, since the majority want to, and then allow the lesser amount of people who don't want to follow the rules mod the game to break them?
    edited January 2013
    My poll here shows that the majority if people want to follow the rules.
    Correction: the majority of people who voted in that poll want it. It doesn't take into account all the people who don't visit these forums, or who don't vote in polls, or who abstained from voting because they don't care enough to read the thread. It also doesn't account for people who voted "yes" without knowing what the specific rules are, which would suggest that they might vote differently on specific issues such as this one or others.

And just because most people want it doesn't necessarily make it automatically the best thing for the game. Which is why CamDawg is asking you to give reasons why this feature request should be implemented, aside from the fact that it would match what the PnP rules follow. More to the point: Why this feature, rather than the myriad other feature requests in this subforum?
    Post edited by Dee on

So if you're asking me to list reasons why giving Thieves negative skills is a good thing for the game, I can't, other than to say I want the game to take itself seriously.

The game has implemented an internally consistent method to handle thieving skills while wearing armor. That it's not the solution you want it to be (and not the PnP one) doesn't mean it's "not taking it seriously"--a phrase so vague as to be meaningless.

What makes matters worse is when I read things where part of bugs are fixed (like Elf Charm resistance), but the other bugs (THAC0) that are nerfs, are ignored.

Elven sleep/charm resistance was implemented in BG, but in a hugely broken fashion. They had resistance to a few things here and there but not in any sort of logical or consistent fashion. This was fixed early because we had an off-the-shelf solution from BG2 Fixpack that could be dropped in. OTOH the elven sword issue is tucked away in the source code somewhere, meaning actual developer time. Given the larger issues being addressed it's been given a lower priority, and rightfully so.

As an aside, there's one thing we certainly agree on: powergamers are flooding the forums with shit requests. I usually only venture in here for interesting ideas (like this one) or when a truly bad idea gets traction (i.e. ogre magi and katanas).

Does it make more sense for a game that is trying to "bring...the AD&D game alive on the computer like no other game before it" require mods to follow the rules?

OR:

Does it make more sense for a game that is trying to "bring...the AD&D game alive on the computer like no other game before it" require mods to break the rules?

It's a meaningless marketing phrase, and a false dichotomy to boot. We're already at a very good implementation of PnP rules, as I mentioned above, we're simply arguing over the small bits of non-conformity. If we were building BG from scratch I'd be right there with you (and the folks in your poll) on most of these issues. But we're dealing with a highly successful, well-known game that's been out for over a decade and, with that in mind, I think the burden of the argument falls on the person advocating for change, even when I personally think the idea makes for a better game.
    As an olive branch disguised as a devil's advocate, I'll offer the following reason why implementing this concept might not be a terrible idea:

Currently, a multiclass fighter/thief who wears more than studded leather armor can't use his thieving abilities at all. This is a good way to discourage fighter/thieves from wearing heavy armor, but it means that any fighter/thief who does wear heavy armor is essentially a fighter with a reduced THAC0 and fewer proficiency points.

On the other hand, if instead of blocking the thieving abilities, the heavy armor bestowed a significant penalty to those abilities, it would still be a strong deterrent without being something that the player would never be able to do.

To wit: A fighter/thief who wears full plate armor would see that he can use the Stealth ability, and attempt to use it, only to realize that it's all but impossible in full plate armor. He will either have to remove his armor, or invest heavily in his Stealth abilities--both of which become viable options.

Using penalties rather than restrictions creates more options for the player without adding potency to the character (if you really want to be able to sneak around in full plate armor, go ahead, but expect to put all your skill points into Hide or Move Silently).

A similar argument could be made for armor-based spell failure chances for fighter/ or thief/mages, although that can get dicey real fast.

That being said, it's not just a matter of saying "All Studded Leather armor is like X", which would make it rather easy to implement; the armors in the game aren't broken into categories like that. So you'd have to apply the penalties for each skill to every single .itm file.

It might not seem like a lot of work, except that you'd have to either use the PnP values (which runs the risk of nerfing the thief, which is something that shouldn't be done), or come up with new values that make sense (which would take a lot of time and consideration in order to make it not unbalanced in either direction). And then you have to add the effects to each armor.

All in all, it would probably take an afternoon to do it; but there are so many other things that are more worthwhile to implement, and this idea already exists as a mod, so I'd rather the time be spent on something else.
    edited January 2013
    I'm just afraid that large amount casual gamers, who often times request on here things which I feel dumb down the game, will start getting their way because they are the majority.

Sophisticated games like Baldur's Gate simply are not created anymore, so I will do everything I can to try and keep it, or more-so, to it's roots.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited January 2013

I'm just afraid that large amount casual gamers, who often times request on here things which I feel dumb down the game, will start getting their way because they are the majority.

Sophisticated games like Baldur's Gate simply are not created anymore, so I will do everything I can to try and keep it, or more-so, to it's roots.

Yeah I hear what you're saying, but luckily I don't think this will happen, probably for a similar reason that many of you requests to implement PnP probably won't happen; Beamdog's mission statement seems to include the idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", meaning that as long as an item/spell/mechanic isn't bugged, they'll leave it how it is in order to maintain the game's integrity.

Edit: huh I just noticed that some peoples comments have a light gray background, instead of the normal dark gray/black. I guessing this is applies to moderators, as a way of highlighting their posts? Neat idea.
    edited January 2013
    @TJ_Hooker

I appreciate that, and I can understand why Beamdog takes that approach with a game that's been around almost 15 years as to why they may not want to change things.

One other thing I'd like to point out though is that I hope that they remain fair when it comes to fixing things, say, don't only fix missing/broken bonuses. I say that because the few changes I have suggested have been really resisted. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the resistance comes from my requested nerfs. Penalties are in place for a reason as well.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

@TJ_Hooker

I appreciate that, and I can understand why Beamdog takes that approach with a game that's been around almost 15 years as to why they may not want to change things.

One other thing I'd like to point out though is that I hope that they remain fair when it comes to fixing things, say, don't only fix missing/broken bonuses. I say that because the few changes I have suggested have been really resisted. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the resistance comes from my requested nerfs. Penalties are in place for a reason as well.

Yup, I agree. I'm not as keen as some are about accurate implementation of PnP rules, but this is at least one case where I'd be for it; if there is a bug, and it's ambiguous as to what was intended, then you might as well go with what the rulebook says.
    edited January 2013
    At the end of this game, even with a Fighter/Thief who gets much less points to invest in Thief skills, I'm able to disarm almost every trap in the game. On top of that you throw in potions to further enhance that, these characters are too easy to play. If it's this easy as a Fighter/Thief, a pure Thief must have very easy time.

I ask to put in a penalty, that was originally advertised as being in to help balance that, and basically get told that it's not justified because this is a video game and the penalty is not needed. It's frustrating being told I'm wrong when what I experience in game shows otherwise.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @bigdogchris - I appreciate you making noise about PnP and keeping the game true to it. I find myself disagreeing with many of your requests (not the idea of them, but more along what @CamDawg stated about priorities, etc). I do feel like your requests/posts etc serve as a balance against a lot of the crappy ones out there that really want to change game play and dumb it down (see threads about area of effect indicator).

I do want to point out something about your poll though that you used as evidence to change the way things work in BG:EE. Even assuming those that voted represent players of BG as a whole, the poll is not phrased to include changes to BG:EE gameplay -

"Question: When attempting to recreate D&D in tactical video games like Baldur's Gate, how closely should you follow the rules that you are able to implement?"

It is a good question and I voted for the first option, and yet I disagree with some of the changes you advocate for BG:EE. The reason being that BG is a game that has been around for 15 years and plays a certain way. The implementation of certain things, i.e. thief skills in armor, was most likely a conscious decision made by developers at the time (read - it's not a bug) and changing it "just because" it's closer to PnP should not be the only reason to change it. The question does not state "would you like to see BG:EE updated to follow pnp rules as closely as possible" which is a different question, because the game already exists and has been balanced around certain aspects for game play experience. Now, any future game, such as BG3, absolutely I would like to see it as close to PnP as possible and any variation to have a valid reason. I hope I made sense.. I'm thanking you and disagreeing with you :)

• KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013
    @bigdogchris
    first a minor quibble
    Today you present that 56/16 poll spread as authoritative. But the other day your Constitution Regen poll was 6/36 in favor of "Leave it alone." It would have been unfair if I had presented that as the final word then. It might not be fair for you to present this new poll as the final word now. Polls need lots of things to work. Careful wording (I'm pretty sure people get Masters Degrees in "Making Polls"). Responses. Like, thousands of responses. Hundreds of thousands. And I think there's also a certain time component that kind of goes along with number of responses.

Another thing that occurs to me: What is the core of your concern? I see a split here.

On the one hand, you can pursue the "PnP implementation" thing you've been going at and you can throw your hands up in defeat as you did here when they asked you to convince them in a positive fashion.

On the other hand, you mentioned that Fighter/Thief is too easy. That you have enough skillpoints to steamroll most of the game and if you don't, you can just chug potions. From this, you extend that pure-thief never has to really worry about the difficulty of traps. Ever. I'm paraphrasing, but bare with me please.

I think this second concern would be interesting (and logical) to address.
    Why not ask for "Trap Disable and Detection thresholds based on the difficulty setting of the game" or just ask for them to be looked at in-general??
    I'll be the first to admit I'm clueless at coding and modding. But couldn't this be done?

Why I think this would address your "Multiclass Thiefs are too good at thiefing":
    BG2 shouldn't probably happen. The power curve is all messed up. Right out of the starter dungeon, you can go on a short quest and get the +3 or +4 weapon of your choice. Sometimes armor too. At the very start of the game, you're getting something that--in any PnP game--would be artifact status. And this piece of equipment that took you 10 minutes to get? It's Best-In-Slot. Or you're going to sell it. One or the other. TOB is even worse. It seems like a straight out attempt to bring 3x Epic Levels into the bg series.

Given the absurd power levels of the player characters in BG2 and TOB, I'm not sure that arguing back in a couple of -10s and -15s are going to do you a lot of good because players reached redundant skill levels a LONG time ago. Oooh, I'm wearing armor at endgame (where you implied a part of your concern originated from). I'm only a level 28 thief for the purpose of disabling traps. Big whoop. I'm already past the point where the game engine itself can not handle how many skill points I have. What's a -10?

I don't think that armor penalties in that vein, on their own, would address the notion that thief multis are too good at being pure-class thieves. However, armor penalties (and the ability to thief in heavy armors) in addition to a reconsideration of current/tob trap thresholds might go together to restore the balance for thieves. Furthermore, if traps received a boost to their required skill thresholds on Hard or Insane, I think that would go a long way towards creating an elite-tier experience for longtime players and create a situation where even the elite must carefully consider several extra dimensions for their success. Thus increasing the bragging rights and the sense of accomplishment that comes with being able to succeed at the very uppermost echelons of the game.

...Am I way off base here? Anyone?
    @Bhaaldog

The penalties are specific armor properties rather than some global setting.

I've also updated my original post to better clarify my request.
    You may want to further update your post: only the original Baldur's Gate manuals listed those penalties in the tables at the back of the book.

I removed those tables, in most cases, because they reflected information that was not accurate, and in most cases they existed because they were simply pulled straight out of AD&D sources, rather than based on information in the actual game.
    edited January 2013
    @Aosaw

Regardless of if they are in the book or not, that doesn't change that it's too easy in game. Even so, I changed it per your request.
    I know, but it's important to be clear; people might think what you're asking is for something that's in the new manuals (which would suggest that it's a feature that was intended to be implemented and then wasn't), which is pointedly not the case.
    Understood. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Except that all elven chainmail is currently giving the proper PnP penalty to thief skills...either remove the penalty on elven chain or add the rest of them to leather and studded leather.

I don't care which to be honest, if if you're gonna mess with the game, make it consistent. That penalty didn't exist in BG1 or BG2, so by that logic shouldn't exist here either, UNLESS you're going to implement them all.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

Except that all elven chainmail is currently giving the proper PnP penalty to thief skills...either remove the penalty on elven chain or add the rest of them to leather and studded leather.

I don't care which to be honest, if if you're gonna mess with the game, make it consistent. That penalty didn't exist in BG1 or BG2, so by that logic shouldn't exist here either, UNLESS you're going to implement them all.

The penalties on elven chain did exist in BG2, and the penalties on hide armor have been there since BG1. They weren't mentioned in the item descriptions, but if you put them on, your thieving scores would go down accordingly. None of the values were modified for BG:EE save the Stealth -> HiS/MS thing.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Considering that in non combat situation, you could just remove the armour before performing a thieving task, adding these armour penalties would only affect slightly the ability to backstab and in very rare situations the ability to remove traps during battles. So I'm not sure it is a good idea to implement this, because it looks like an huge amount of work for so little change in gameplay.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Does anybody know if in the latest version wearing Leather and Studded leather lead to any penalties to the thieving skills? Also, does The Shadow Armor inflict any penalties as it's made of leather.

BTW I didn't know that all this is not implemented and have never put any armor on a thief. Can any penalty from wearing an armor be seen in the character screen?