Skip to content

Should Manuals & Tomes be Transferable into BG2?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited January 2013 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Should Manuals & Tomes be Transferable into BG2?41 votes
    1. No. Leave them in BG1
      48.78%
    2. Yes. Make them available if they are in your final save inventory
      31.71%
    3. Hamsters every where... rejoice!
      17.07%
    4. None of the above
        2.44%

Comments

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I think they(or some of them) should be somewhere in Irenicus's dungeon. Just like Helm of Balduran is.
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    I like the idea of them being transferrable.
    If they are not, I think the next best thing would be to improve the transition between BG1 and BG2 by letting me load my entire BG1 save game at the start of BG2. Then the game can compile, from that, what the stats of returning characters should be. If I use three tomes on Edwin in BG1, let his stats in BG2 reflect this.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    It's one the most anticipated questions regarding BG2:EE. It will be great to find out how the transfer will be dealt rather sooner than later. Just to plan your party and your own stats in BG1.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If you have the books in your inventory by the end of BG1 I see no reason Irenicus and Bodhi wouldn't use them. He's a powerful mage and a genius after all.
  • bloodcarverbloodcarver Member Posts: 24
    Why shouldn't Irenicus use them? What would stop him?! OK, I might agree to update Irenicus and Bohdi with spell scrolls and tomes you have in your inventory. They should use all the tomes, learn all spells they don't know, drink all potions that could help them and so on. And of course get rid of most of stuff unusable for them.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    He left you those snazzy underwear.....ingrate.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Why shouldn't Irenicus use them? What would stop him?! OK, I might agree to update Irenicus and Bohdi with spell scrolls and tomes you have in your inventory. They should use all the tomes, learn all spells they don't know, drink all potions that could help them and so on. And of course get rid of most of stuff unusable for them.

A good idea. You should find most of your BG1 endgame gear in shops everywhere, after all Irenicus' lab must be very expensive to maintain why wouldn't he sell the items he has no use for?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    CamDawg said:

He's already 'Gone Galt' with his off-the-grid underground lair to escape the job-killing (and mage-killing) regulations of the government and replaced good, Amnish labor with non-union golems. When his lab collapses (probably because of lax OSHA inspections) he engages in regulatory capture to avoid penalties and fines, offshoring his whole organization in the process.

When this scheme eventually blows up, he tries to distract from his failures by preemptively invading an unrelated country in a thinly-veiled scheme to funnel gold to his buddies in the drow military-industrial complex.

ROFL...
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I like hamsters.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Testing around, It changes the characters stat entirely so if you use them on your own character you should by all means have the bonus stats still in BG2.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Kaltzor
    You do keep the bonus if you use it on the protagonist, because the protagonist is actually imported directly into BG2.

Where it gets dicey is when you use it on one of the other party members, because they aren't directly imported--they're entirely different .cre files. It's also for this reason that Imoen will always end up a Dual-Classed mage, even if you never dual-class her in BG1.
  • bloodcarverbloodcarver Member Posts: 24
    What I hate most in pen&paper games is meta-gaming. "Oh I would certainly give him that tome but my DM mentioned something about next advcenture being for sneaky types so we'll need to left him behind".
    Maybe forget it and just enjoy the show?

Second game assumes quite a bit about how you played first one. It assumes some dual-classing took place, and chara stats really are bit different, aren't they? Wouldn't it be plain simplier to just assume in BG2 that she used one tome of int somewhere before and leave it?
    If we want bg2 to check for statuses of an NPCs, the topic "did Imoen used that tome" seems almost irrelevant to the question "is she alive?". She died the way preventing ressurection in my first go thorough the BG1. Same question for Minsc and Jaheira, Montaron, Garric... Stitching it all would require damn big changes in original content so as fair as I understand it's out of the question. We'll have to live with the assumptions BG2 made. And if you want to powergame, you can use debug mode and conjure "missing" tomes, or kill NPCs you don't feel you need.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    You should be able to find some of your equipment in Irenicus dungeon
    I remeber that Imoen mentioned that your best stuff was sold
    Well to who and where
    there should be a new merchant created that will have some of the Items of your
    that were sold
    maybe just the CHARNAME items to keep it simple