Skip to content

The new stat total

13»

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited June 2014
    Well, I think the time has proven that this option is cool. It's a very useful feature and maybe one of the reasons 75-roll playthroughs have appeared: in the past we had to focus more not on stat totals but on particular stats during a character creation.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    RavenslightCrevsDaak
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    ljbo said:

Quartz said:

I had a Bard with a 3 Wisdom, and I played her very stupidly indeed ... pickpocketing just about everybody even though she kept getting caught, etc.

Your character must have got a very low intelligence too then, which I highly doubt for a bard! Imho intelligence and wisdom have a lot in common in the real world. The distinction enforced by AD&D is rather artificial, and for the sole purpose of distinguishing mages and priests.
    hahahaha

I completely disagree. Sorry. I've seen many intelligent people who make very unwise decisions and ruin themselves. I've also seen very wise people who aren't terribly intelligent, sure they struggle in classes but with their hard work, dedication, and heart of gold they go far in this world.
    jackjack
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    Quartz said:

ljbo said:

Quartz said:

I had a Bard with a 3 Wisdom, and I played her very stupidly indeed ... pickpocketing just about everybody even though she kept getting caught, etc.

Your character must have got a very low intelligence too then, which I highly doubt for a bard! Imho intelligence and wisdom have a lot in common in the real world. The distinction enforced by AD&D is rather artificial, and for the sole purpose of distinguishing mages and priests.
    hahahaha

I completely disagree. Sorry. I've seen many intelligent people who make very unwise decisions and ruin themselves. I've also seen very wise people who aren't terribly intelligent, sure they struggle in classes but with their hard work, dedication, and heart of gold they go far in this world.
    @Quartz‌ @ljbo‌
    I always figure intelligence=IQ. A five year old could have an IQ of 180(as it adjusts for age) and a wisdom stat of 3, because he's five. It's more likely that someone with high intelligence would have mores wisdom, becuase they remember more, and can interpret situations faster and more accurately, but it's not always true.
    I think wisdom is a completely stupid stat though. No one knows what it's even supposed to be. On just this forum, we have huge argument about the fundamental nature of "wisdom". At the very least that's a poor choice of word.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I really like the feature.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    meagloth said:

I always figure intelligence=IQ. A five year old could have an IQ of 180(as it adjusts for age) and a wisdom stat of 3, because he's five. It's more likely that someone with high intelligence would have mores wisdom, becuase they remember more, and can interpret situations faster and more accurately, but it's not always true.
    I think wisdom is a completely stupid stat though. No one knows what it's even supposed to be. On just this forum, we have huge argument about the fundamental nature of "wisdom". At the very least that's a poor choice of word.

Wisdom is only possessed by the learned.
    SethDavisCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovSCARY_WIZARD
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    My vote would really be for having the option. There is something very real for me in having to rapidly assess the six results of each roll which involves a certain amount of pride and mental stamina while also experiencing the inner dialogue:

~~ " Oh come on, 89 is more than enough already and we have been rolling at least 30 minutes. I mean, think what Lemernis would do and then all those folks doing 75 roll no-reloads!! ~But I really, really want at least a 92 or a 90+ with 18/76+ Str if I am playing fighter or fighter multi and Min/Maxing is just somehow....unpatriotic!! Well at least we should store it!!" ~LOL

And then dallying with occasional rolls which are in the high 80s with several 16s&nothing below 10 and I think, "Here is a great opportunity to try a Natural but Rearranged Roll, particularly if you allow 1 point to be subtracted or added to each Stat..." At such times it takes real discipline to keep holding out for that really outstanding roll.

So many interesting psychological thoughts come up in that pursuit. I am a classic Middle Child always looking for the Win-win solution, the arbitrated agreement, diplomacy and a pure sporting outcome in which everyone does well and the outcome could have gone either way up until the last few seconds. Never have quite understood the "Thrill of Victory!" thing... Or maybe it is just Southern [US] White-Man's Guilt???

But Auto-roll is also great!! I would definitely love to play F/M/T with @99pts so I could have Wish and also decent Charisma [18/56-19-17-17-14-14]. Why NOT??