Skip to content

The new stat total

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I don't Dislike it (which should be an option in the poll) because quite frankly I wouldn't pay attention to it either way. If people use it, great. More power to them. I am not going to ask that something be removed that doesn't impact me directly and can be ignored if it is something that others want. Simple as that.

Don't like it, ignore it. It won't impact your game play in the slightest.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    When the new stat roll came out I tried rolling a character and still spent an hour or two rolling.
    Total stat roll doesn't really make it any easier, but it is a convenience.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Man... Back before I got my program to add the total I didn't even add the numbers. I knew I wanted 90ish so I just went. Does this look like 15 on average? If it did THEN I would add the numbers together.
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Now I can add the proficiency for a 90+ quick glance roll to my ever growing list of obsolete skills...
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Ravel said:

That said, I wish Str % were visible for fighters even without allocating 18 points into strength, but this is something :D

This.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ravel said:

zomg, Overhaul catering to casuals, ruin my favorite game.

LOL. When they start altering content, I am right behind you.

• EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    It should come with a free replacement micro-switch for the left mouse button.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    less math I have to do, the happier I am.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I'll vote when I have the iPad update, though the theory sounds excellent.
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    Anduin said:

As a teacher I reject this loss of enjoyable mental computation on character creation! Our kids are gonna grow up not being able to count to 10! (Or 18!)

As a teacher with lots of marking. This is as useful as the answer book!

I'm sure the same was said when they first invented the affordable pocket calculator.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Good. Saves time.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I only voted positively because there's no "Apathy is the only appropriate response to polls" option.
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    Messi said:

The OP is a joke post right? "the accomplishment out of sitting there for an extended period to get a good roll (this sounds sad but at least you feel like you have in a way earned those high stats)"

You are damn right that sounds sad, if you get feeling of accomplishment from sitting on your ass and pushing random number generator button for "extended perioid" you might want to rethink what you are doing. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but that's the way I see it.

i lol'd
    "You don't want to sell me deathsticks... You want to go home and rethink your life" :P
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Ah hell, I take it back. The stat total is a good thing. I spent some time rolling up a black pits party last night, mostly out of boredom, and the stat total was invaluable. I probably would have been there all night without it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Must be frustrating for the Devs. Anything they implement gets liked by some, scorned by others.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @reedmilfam It will happen with whatever they do. You may be sure that if the devs had access to the original artwork files and remade them into detailed models where you can see every single scale in a scalemail there would be people complaining the game doesn't look like the original.
    edited January 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Mental arithmetic going down hill...

Since the invention of the abacus, my friend. . .

If you have to resort to video games as a way to practice math, you're probably already on the downhill.

If you really want something to crunch, go ahead and practice division by figuring out the average score (stat total / 6).
  • Bhaaldog said:

You're telling me. I developed my mental arithmetic by divvying up experience in PnP, and BG does that for me? Uses one pool of money for the whole party instead of making me do long division? Next thing you know they'll get rid of THAC0 and people will start forgetting how to add and subtract negative numbers [/tongue firmly in cheek]

pfft. The devs should stop putting in patches. It is sooooo annoying to download all their patches! :P

But on a serious note. 93% approval for something like this is a very clear statement that it was liked.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Bhaaldog said:

True enough. A certain part of me laments that fact.

However, if technology advances to the point where I can have an arithmetic co-processes embedded in my brain, I will probably be the first to sign up :-).
    Bhaaldog said:

Yes...
    To end...
    like this...
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    I like it I used the autoroller anyway because using the all 18 cheat just guarantees to good stats.
    Darkcloud said:

I like it I used the autoroller anyway because using the all 18 cheat just guarantees to good stats.

I used the 18 cheat as well, but I followed a couple conditions. I didn't give myself 18/00 Str (17 max). And I didn't use all of the points available, only 84 or so (depending on class min. req's).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    Quartz said:

I had a Bard with a 3 Wisdom, and I played her very stupidly indeed ... pickpocketing just about everybody even though she kept getting caught, etc.

Your character must have got a very low intelligence too then, which I highly doubt for a bard! Imho intelligence and wisdom have a lot in common in the real world. The distinction enforced by AD&D is rather artificial, and for the sole purpose of distinguishing mages and priests.

Bhaaldog said:

swnmcmlxi said:

Bhaaldog said:

Yes...
    To end...
    like this...
    Boo likes you!
    (Looking longingly at Boo) :)