Skip to content

What to do with all that GOLD!

NaastriilNaastriil Member Posts: 60
I am about halfway in the game and I have 150.000 gold.
I got about all I want. In AD&D only kings have 150.000 gold and carrying it like moving a small mountain with me.
I suggest you to add more options to spend gold or reduce the gold dropped.
It makes the game weird...
Post edited by LadyRhian on

Comments

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Donate to the church like a good guy ;)

But i know the problem to. Could be fun to buy a house or something and maintain it. have servants etc etc..
    Whatever..
  • NaastriilNaastriil Member Posts: 60
    I already have 20 rep :)
    I might donate after I do something evil :D
    My group is good group:
    Ajantis
    Kivan
    Coran
    Yeslick
    Dynaheir
    Myself (Mage) NG
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Hmmm.. what about "recharging" some wands, staffs and rechargeable items then? You can easily dump a few 10.000 gold in this.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Almost every RPG I've ever played my characters had a plethora of money by the middle to end.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Buy an inn like any retiring adventurer :D
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    buy enough magical ammo and potions to supply a small army and crank the difficulty up?
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2013
    You're more than just a king. You're the Lord of Murder, or at least just part of his essence...for now!;p
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    never use your clerics/druids for healing again and use temples for all your healing needs, when i play games where i have level 7 fighters dual classing into clerics, those temples get lots of my money because it is so much easier to heal there, since temples are EVERYWHERE
    If you are a pack rat like me and have full inventory space. Its not very hard to make that much gold.
    Since this is not an MMORG I suggest adding expensive items or maybe buying a bank deposit, more containers :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938

Buy an inn like any retiring adventurer :D

I played a PnP game where our group bought an inn and it ended up being our base of operations for the rest of the campagin

... actually I think we either killed or blackmailed the owners, bribed the town watch, and took it over.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    I spent around 50K just restocking my party with elemental ammo from High Hedge. Acid Arrows cost a fortune, and Bullets/Darts of Fire/Ice/Lightning/Acid/Stuffdiesfaster only slightly less of a fortune. 480 projectiles per character adds up to dozens of thousands of gold piece.

Alternatively, kill people until your reputation gets to 1 (not recommended for parties with good/neutral characters), then try to buy those nifty items that would have otherwise cost 10K. Proceed to bribe the church to spread the word that you are a hero and not some murderer who stabs civilians just so the shops will charge you more.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Sell all your wands, amulets and rings that have limited charges and buy them back fully charged?
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    Mathmick said:

elemental ammo from High Hedge.

TC. Do This. ^

My main character is a dart-using sorceress. I'm not even done with the game yet, but I've spent over 50k in ammunition. 3APR makes it easy to chew through a stack of darts. I even have her wearing Legacy of the Masters for more damage. 3d3+3d6+9 is not a terrible way to pass a combat round.

There's also temples with potions that need to be bought out. Oils of Explosion. Potions of Firebreath. Oil of Speed. Healing Potions. Recharge those Wands of Fire and Wands of Monster Summoning.

Then use them, because that's what they're there for.

• MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Download a shop mod like the Weapon and Armor packs in the modding forums and buy brand new super-loot for all your guys.

Option B: Use it as your new sling ammo. Gold Coin of Striking +0.

Either/Or.
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    Have xzar in your party. Those 800gp res's start to add up after a while
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Buy all the items in the game!

Cause a sword coast magic item shortage!

Then sell them back to Amn or Baldur's Gate at extortionate prices!

Whilst conducting said exchange let slip that you have sold said magic items to Amn to Baldur's Gate envoy / magic item purchaser ("I may be a lowly merchant, but do you think Amn must be preparing for war your honor?")... Let them send an observer to watch Amn's envoy purchase magic items, whilst also saying to Amn envoy, that said Baldur's Gate envoy is next in line to purchase magic weapons for Baldur's Gate in preparation for war ("That man there is about to secure Baldur's Gates future, all her enemies will be swept away! Baldur's Gate doesn't like Amn does it... Oh sorry, mind wandering. Yes another +1 longsword, I am here to serve...")

Set up a neutral hospital tent in middle of battlefield between Amn and Baldur's Gate (which you instigated), with sign saying outside "I have all the healing potions." (You bought them all remember?)

Get people to carry the injured to you, where you can use a scalpel, badly, to end their lives and gain vast amounts of xp...

If anyone is worried about your poor doctoring / clerical skills, show bookcase of resurrection scrolls that you have bought. Say it is easier to carry everyone to the temple dead (60 in a cart piled on top of each other versus 8 in a carriage... easy maths my good sir, your brothers head will be sown back on in a jiffy, now go and show that anger to the enemy!)

Dump bodies off a cliff or conduct a mass burnt offering to yourself, as the new God of Murder, as now you have so much xp you should be near demigod status anyway...

Build swanky temples to yourself all over the sword coast with the change...

That's how I'd spend it... Saveoursock, my idiot brother, thought too small.

Errrm... And back to the real world... Lost myself again there with visions of grandeur.
  • knasknas Member Posts: 50
    Naastriil said:

I got about all I want. In AD&D only kings have 150.000 gold and carrying it like moving a small mountain with me.

Not sure why you'd suggest this. Accumulating this amount of gold just indicates that you either know the game like the back of your hand. Or use a walkthrough to find all the items available.

Or finally (the one I'd go for) you're playing on a too easy difficulty where you don't need to use any expendable items like staffs, potions and scrolls.

I'd also suggest not playing the game with the most maxed out well rounded character group possible. Currently we're playing a 4 player multiplayer game with no healing apart from life stealing attacks. Adds a huge gold sink.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    knas said:

...Adds a huge gold sink.

Now that would be an item I would purchase in game! Can we have platinum taps and a diamond plug as well?

• LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    edited January 2013
    Go to the nearest tavern and buy BEER!!!! (or Ale)
    Afterall it is Friiiiiiiday =)
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    edited January 2013
    Naastriil said:

Let me see if i understood you:

You pillage everyone one in every city and wilderness of the sword coast and you are mad because you are too much rich ?

I lol'd
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Damn, I wish I had that kind of problems in RL.

First World Gamers problem :)
    Geeze there are trolls every where.
    The reason for this post was to point out there was too much gold.
    Thank you all for your comments.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Buy the Gold digger +1 and use it!
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw

@Naastriil
    On a more serious note, you're not the first to think so. Check out the Hard Times mod. It's not up yet for BGEE, but it seems as thought you'd enjoy it. Here is a breakdown:
    http://www.usoutpost31.com/hardtimes/
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I heard that Viconia is looking for a house in Beregost .
  • TinterTinter Member Posts: 152
    BG2 Tweaks already is available for BGEE, and it includes an option to remove the discount high reputation gives. This will effectively double shop prices for most of the game, which helps reduce this problem.

Beyond that, it depends. Its less of a problem in mage heavy parties due to scroll buying. There are lots of useful arrows and potions you might want as well. Still, the fact is if you are being a completionist you will eventually have lots of money. Give some to illimater or enjoy your character imagining retirement I guess!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    The best advice I can give is the Hard Times mod, like deucetipher said. I hope MacReady will update his mod, last news i've had he's not yet started updating it and didn't even have a copy of the enhanced game. But he wasn't negative about it, so I hope he will.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    With Hard Times, it's making hard decisions in the Sorcerous Sundries as to what potions you want to have for the final battle, as you can't afford all you want.

Before Hard Times, I had the same problem of having too much money. I tend to avoid using expandable items and use only spells for buffing and also healing to a lesser extent. But then it really adds up, like you experienced.
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    I heard Neera can resolve that issue for ya =P

Or you can just throw it at people... I always wanted to throw money at people...