2»

Comments

• valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Fenghoang said:

I heard Neera can resolve that issue for ya =P

I 2nd this! :P
    She pretty good in wasting gold....
  • NaastriilNaastriil Member Posts: 60
    Hard Times looks good. In Ad&d to enchant a magical item you need to be able to cast a permanency spell which reduces the caster Constitution by 1. However FR is extreamly rich with magic and BG is more :D
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    Naastriil said:

Hard Times looks good.

I 2nd that...hard times is excellent.I use it with easy tutu and its amazing how much gold and magic items you get in bg vanilla.Im hoping hard times gets updated for bg:ee.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    So, why can't you donate to the temple even if your rep is already 20? Isn't that only doing it to see benefit for yourself and therefore inherently evil? JK... :)

I have a similar problem in my game. I am just on the cusp of chapter 6 and have almost 100k. Basically I spent some time and went around upgrading everything I had to the maximum available in stores. Still had over 75K. Donated some to the church (rep was already 20, but who cares). I only stay in the best rooms in taverns and rarely if ever camp outside. I figure that at some point my character would invest in revitalizing the town. I also imagine buying up more of Bergost than the "Mayor" just to get his goat (what a jerk).

I strongly disagree with the sentiment of "Reducing gold drops". The game should be a living world with living economy. Loads of money coming in, but equal opportunities for gold to get spent. Buy a house or a tower in Baldur's Gate. Buy an Inn in Bergost or Naskal. But I don't begrudge the original designers for not putting that in. Beyond a certain point, just ignore it. And maybe you have an infinite purse (equivalent to a bag of holding but only carries gold).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i remember when i first played bg1 i always had a hard time trying to have gold, i remember the first time i ever bought platemail and the large shield +1, i felt so invincible i think i was around level 5 or so when i first got those 2 items at once ( but back in those days i used every potion i have ever found, never sold them, and i spent 1000s of gold at temples, mostly for reviving characters) so i bet new comers well probally have far less gold than us veterens because we know where everything is, what items we can use and save for tougher battles and so on, i think the first time i ever got to bg the city i only had around 40 000 and i was like wow im rich, and then you buy all your items from buddy mage dude in the first bg city area and your gold drops like a rock, but now adays i usually hit around 100 000+ gold before i get to bg the city, and usually average around 350 000- 500 000 gold when i get to the final battle
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Wow. I'm always broke in BG. I don't buy potions much, but I stock on remove paralysis and things like that. I don't think I buy a lot of weapons, but there's something going on.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @sarevok57. More or less exactly. I believe that the game is designed such that if you are playing through for the first time, or are not as familiar with the game mechanics and where everything is, it is very easy to blow through money quickly. That is one of the reasons why I don't think that there should be less money going in. But, as you explore there should be loads of options (not necessities) that can drain money out.

I also play on a NWN2 PW. The creators of that world want it to be a "Low money" world. Unfortunately, they are not game developers and believe that the only way to do it is to restrict monetary drops. This means that (in addition to the fact that they want to make it a low magic world as well) they don't understand that players want rewards. Sans money and or treasure, it is only XP that rewards players. And they want to keep it a low XP world as well so..... Needless to say there is almost no reward for adventuring there.

When I started out (again) recently, I had my Charname as a Fighter/thief. I picked up Xzar and Montaron and headed south. I then Picked up Kaigan and Shar-Teel. By the time I got to Naskal, I had blown through all of my healing potions and was making regular stops at the temple to keep in fit fighting shape. I bled through a LOT of early gold (relatively speaking) on healing and identification (Ring of wizardry, 2 +1 protection rings etc...). Because I understand how the game mechanics work, I realized that I really needed Viconia sooner rather than later. Someone who was not as familiar with the game play may not have been able to identify that quickly, or been able to figure out how to solve it.

The game definitely rewards knowledge of the game (buying the Scroll of Stone to Flesh from the temple instead of the huxter). Call it Meta-gaming or whatever. Even just simple knowledge of the usefulness of a cleric will have you keep your eyes out for one rather than running back to the temple all the time.