Skip to content

Please, please help me out! XD [Creating a custom item]

Cler1cCler1c Member Posts: 32
Hey guys! :D
An old BG veteran here! :)

Please I have a question so If you can provide any help whatsoever I would most thankful!

I have been trying to create a custom 2H sword by using the NearInfinity editor and changing the stats of the item in the save file itself. I had no luck with it though since whenever I try equipping it the game crashes. Did you guys had any luck with this?

And If it is such a big hassle I am even ready to pay you 5$ over paypal if you could create the item for me (Yes I am that desperate! ><

All right let me know if you can help! :D

And now to install the Kit mod! :)

Yours cordially

Cler1c

P.s. It is my long lasting wish to have "Heya it's just me Imoen" inscribed on my tombstone. Not kiddin'. ^^

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Leave your poor save file alone. You are better off using CLUAConsole if you want an updated copy of the item.
    As for the rest, it is a bit hard to help you when you provide the barest minimum on what you are doing and say nothing about what you want the end result to be.
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    I would use dltcep over nearinfinity, there is much less chance of ruining your item through an accidental extra keystroke, but post some more info and we can help
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Cler1c said:

Did you guys had any luck with this?

@Cler1c, I've been using a custom sword for a while. Actually, I copied one that I made over from BG2 - so it doesn't have any description. I haven't had any real problem in creating items. If I were you, I would add it to a store or use the CLUAConsole command rather than edit the save.
    Requiem said:

I would use dltcep over nearinfinity

Also, this.

If you post details of this weapon - name, description, value, stats, equipping effects, on-hit effects, etc. - then someone can help you. I might even give it a go since I have some free time today, and I can include a handy WeiDU installer so you get item name and description, too.
  • Cler1cCler1c Member Posts: 32
    Wow! :) Thank you so much for this guys! :)

Ok. So basically the item is a sword. A two handed one.

The name would be "The Breacher." The sword was forged in Netheril to battle the Phaerrim.

Basically it is a two handed sword with these abilities (at least I'm thinking on these for now)

:Grants the wielder mind immunity (charm, stun, psionic attacks etc...)
    :+1 AC
    :Once per day : Can cast spell - Breach
    - Stoneskin (or if this is too much some other magical protection)

:Only usable by : Good aligned fighters and paladins

Level of enchantment +3; +4 vs psionic?

It is basically a weapon in the level of an artifact.

Thank you so much for the inputs and the feedback! :)

@Cler1c, not sure about +4 vs psionics. You want RACE->MIND_FLAYER, I assume?
    edited January 2013
    This it the WeiDU setup. As with all WeiDU setups right now, you will need to follow a couple simple steps in order to install it.

If you don't want to create a hardlink, then the alternative steps are just as simple:

It should go without saying, but just in case: make a backup of the dialog.tlk file first and store it somewhere else for safe keeping.
    1. Go to the language folder.
    2. Find the language you want (this is in English only unless you want something specific, so that's lang\en_US).
    3. Copy the dialog.tlk file to the main game directory.
    4. Run the installer (copy the contents of the archive in the link to the main game folder, which should be called 00766).
    5. Then copy the patched dialog.tlk file back to the language folder, overwriting the existing one.
    You will have to let me know if it does what you want it to, and if it is correct.

Right now, the sword is a two handed; You are immune to charm/domination, confusion, and stun. You have two spells that you can cast once per day each: Breach and Stoneskin (icons should tell you what they are, but there's also the tooltips). It does 1d10 damage, +3 to THAC0 and Damage, and +4 vs Mind Flayers.

I've made it so that it can be equipped by multiclass fighter/mage/thief, fighter/mage, fighter/thief, as well as the base class so, again, let me know if you want that modified to only be the base class.

If you want a better description (I forgot to type Stun in the mind control section, but the effect is still there), then you'll have to write that up for me.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    By the Heavens!!

I Cler1c of the Midnight Squadron am by this in your most loyal gratitude and debt honorable Troodon!

You have no idea how MUCH have you given by creating this sword for me!

Please accept once again my most humblest thanks! I would be giving a couple of more details (if you don't mind please!) in a couple of hours. I am busy currently with some lectures so I really cannot make it, but please bare with me a bit more!

@Cler1c, understandable. Let me know what else you would like at your earliest convenience.
    edited January 2013
    Description:

"Presumably of Sharn origin the Breacher is an artifact of legendary power. Created in the ancient times before the fall of the Netherese empire it's former power is now lost forever to the change of magical reality after the Folly of Karthus. What exact abilities did this ancient blade confer to the wielder none can tell. But although the power it holds now could be just a trace of it's former self "The Breacher" still shows mighty signs of the intent it was made for - extermination of all evil psionic magical users. To ensure this "The Breacher" offers it's wielder both defensive and offensive capabilities rarely seen together within a single magical item. The defensive bonuses offer the wielder protection from mind manipulation and life draining magic securing it's wielder to become a defensive bastion of unstoppable force. The offensive capabilities on the other hand are proven to be lethal even to the mightiest of said foes. By being able to remove magical protections through a mere mental command the wielder has enough time to strike at the foe securely from within the weapon's reach. Yet the most powerful ability of "The Breacher" is not in it's defensive wards nor in it's offensive spells but rather in the blade itself. The blade itself is as it seems somewhat alive for it feeds. And it feeds upon magic. Mimicking the very monsters it was made to exterminate "The Breacher" feeds upon the magic resistance of the one it hits. Still a capable hand needs to wield it because for unknown reasons this ability manifests only upon a critical hit triggering the dormant power within the blade to quench the thirst for magic...and vengeance it was created for. "

Abilities : Level Drain/Fear immunity. Mind control immunity.
    Once per day spells - Breach, Pierce Shield
    Critical hit lowers Magical Resistance by 5%

1d12 damage, +3 to THAC0 and Damage, +4 vs Mind Flayers, +4 vs Undead

Only usable by - Fighter, Fighter/Mage, Paladin
    - Minimum Intelligence - 16
    - Minimum Wisdom - 14
    - Must be of Good Alignment

@Cler1c, I'm not sure the critical hit option is possible, but I can do a percentage chance to lower magical resistance if that will be satisfactory? Perhaps 10% chance - maybe more, maybe less?
    Troodon! :)

Percentage chance upon hitting the enemy or?
    Oh 10% would be too much I believe. Hmm. 5%? :)

Thank you so much once again! :)
    edited January 2013
    @Cler1c, yes, the effect would only activate upon a percentage basis for hitting the enemy - similar to how the percentage works for the critical hit system, but not linked in this case.

I'll put in 5% chance, then. So, that will be 5% chance of using the effect which lowers magical resistance by 5%.

I assume you want to discard the other effects; immunity to Charm, etc. and only use the updated effects? I didn't see them listed in the updated details.

Edit: I'll get this finished tomorrow :).
    Oh! :) I get it! :)
    No need to go that low then ^^

Here are the final updates:

a)15% chance on hit to lower MR by 5% :)

b) The only thing discarded is the Stone Skin spell. I wouldn't like to discard immunity to Charm etc...Isn't that included into mind immunity? So basically everything that messes with level or ability drain together with fear/charm/mind control is negated by the breacher. :)

c)And please put the Mind Flayer enchantment to +5. Gosh I like hitting those bastards hard and heavy on their squid heads! :D

d) Must be of Lawful Good or Neutral Good Alignment please. :)

Well I guess this is in the level of an artifact. (Because some of my friends were going - booo when they saw the stats ^^)

@Cler1c, okay, I currently have everything except for immunity to fear done. I'll get this finished up tomorrow and then upload it :). Then you can try it out and let me know if it's what you expect.

And, yes, it is on the level of an artefact, it might almost be on the same level as the Silver Sword in its own way.
    edited January 2013
    @Cler1c, here is the update. You'll have to test it and let me know if it is what you want.

As always, make a backup of your files, just in case.
    WOW! :D

Downloaded and installed. :) But where do I find it now? I cannot find it in the items list. Is it perhaps put in the vendors shop or?

As soon as I try it out I'll let you know! :D

P.s. Have you guys ever thought of making a set of legendary items for BG:EE that could be incorporated into future mods? Nothing better then to find a legendary artifact of rich history and ancient times. :)
    edited January 2013
    @Cler1c, it is in the vendor's shop. Thunderhammer Smithy. Thought that was probably the best place for it. It costs around ~2500 (it is pretty cheap, should probably set that higher; perhaps 8000 or 9000 - Dagger of Venom +2 is 6700, so...).

You can also use the console command CLUAConsole:CreateItem("SW2H35",1,1,1)

Also, no, I haven't really given a weapons pack much thought. It would be easy enough to do, though. Not sure how much call there is for something like that with all the other weapons that can be downloaded.

Some other modder has probably given it more thought that myself (I would be prepared to help out if that was the case).
    edited January 2013
    Ooh thank you! :D P.s. Is it protecting against Psionic stuns and Illithid INT drains too? Going to lunch now gonna check it out as soon as I come back! :D

P.s. You should have made it drop from a legendary monster. :) I can always use the Console to add it :)
    edited January 2013
    It is supposed to protect against the following:

Opcode 5: Charm Specific Creature.
    Opcode 24: Horror.
    Opcode 45: Stun.
    Opcode 76: Feeblemindedness.
    Opcode 106: Moral Break.
    Opcode 128: Confusion.
    Opcode 216: Level Drain.

I have increases the price to 10000 (should be about ~8500-9500 depending on your attributes).

I have also updated the installer, too, just in case anyone else wants to download and use it.
    Cler1c said:

P.s. You should have made it drop from a legendary monster. :) I can always use the Console to add it :)

That would probably be a good idea, but I have no idea what monster that should be. As a quick-build weapon, I mainly added it to the store so I could test it myself a little. Can't find any mind flayers to kill, though. I'll probably copy it over to BG2 and see if it works there.
    All right! :) I have successfully added the item with the Console. :)
    But it in the upper left corner *(in the item description) it states - Armor of faith and I cannot use the item with any of the available classes. Tried this on 4 different allowed classes. Everything else seems fine. The item looks like a 2h sword. The description is there but it still shows as unusable. :)

Can you get me similar screenshots to what I have below (as well as the item description shot above) so I can see exactly what's going wrong?

Just created a new character, paladin:

And the two abilities I have with this sword:

Also, what are the attributes of the characters you are trying it out with? (Remember that the minimum requirements are INT 16 and WIS 14)
    It works! :D

Hmm. But why didn't it want to work before? I was paying attention to requirements and stats.

Anyway it is exactly the thing! :) Wonderful, truly wonderful! :)

P.s. On a side note, Troodon what do you think? If we wanted to make the sword balanced and according to rules what exact percentage of MR lowering should it have? What kind of percentage does the Silver Sword have for the vorpal hit?
    @Cler1c, good to hear that it works! :).

As for magic lowering, 5% sounds about right to be balanced enough without being overpowered. I'm not sure about the other abilities, I would probably skip the Feeblemindedness and possibly one of either confusion, horror, or stun so as not to be too overpowered. The vorpal hit is 25% chance of instantly killing the target, so 15% to lower magical resistance by 5% is quite a bit under it. Where it makes it up on the level of being an artefact is the abilities. There is also the damage, this sword does 1d12+3 normally, that's more than the Silver Swords' 1d10+3, and about the same as Carsomyr's 1d10+5 (and plus 5 additional damage for chaotic evil characters hit by the sword).

If we take a similar sword for a similar purpose, the Psion's Blade +5. It would be near enough the same thing, just with different named abilities. With that sword, you are immune to:

Psonic Blast.
    Maze (?).
    Domination.
    Ego Whip (?).
    Ballistic Attack (?).
    Detonate (?).
    Psonic Domination.

These are spells that can only be cast by Mind Flayers/Illithid. So, on top of that, you also have immunity to confusion, stun, horror/fear, and level drain. However, this sword, The Breacher, is also very restricted in who can use it, so it balances itself out.

As far as BG:EE in concerned, I think it's a little overpowered. I think the most powerful sword in the first game (from what I can see in DLTCEP) is the Gold Digger 1d10+4 - with each successful strike removing 10 gold from the player - and second best being The World's Edge +3. Neither of which grant any special immunities. It would be probably be considered an artefact in terms of BG2:EE weaponry, when it comes out :).
    :D Thank you for the insight! Such a pleasure to converse on the topic of artefacts and being able to see one in the making is truly something fabulous! :)

P.s. Do you know perhaps what exact picture type/size and where in the DLTCEP should I put it if I could muster a different picture for the swords item description?
    For instance - http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu-aHCV578ij-v8Y3FCUZTW99ZMxLHJiSe3R2JLsnwXM6nnt65mW2ZAmEh
  • RicklesRickles Member Posts: 1
    Hey, that's super cool of you Troodon. I know how happy you made my buddy Cler1c so I had to stop by and say so. You're awesome!
    @Cler1c, I am unsure of the format (I think BMP can be imported and converted to BAM (or is it MOS?)), but I can't remember exactly, I shall take a look tomorrow. If you want a particular image taken from BG2 (e.g. the Carsomyr that you linked), then I can do that very easily. As I said, I shall have a look tomorrow to see what the sizes and formats are.

@Rickles, thank you kindly :).
  • MS_OberonMS_Oberon Member Posts: 1
    Troodon,

Wow, what a cool thing to do.

As a friend of Cleric's I salute you for this act of fellowship!

I know how much Cleric appreciates those that help others.

/bow

Oberon of Midnight Squadron
    edited January 2013
    MS_Oberon said:

I know how much Cleric appreciates those that help others.

I also appreciate those that help others :).

@Cler1c, I've looked at the BAM files, and it appears that a BMP image can be imported. The image should be approximately 130x180. Example:

If you find an image (royalty-free/no copyright) or can make one yourself that you think would be good, I can edit it and put it into the game for you :).
    Ah my MS family has arrived to give thanks! Much much appreciated! :D

Oooh! This looks great Troodon! :D Now let me grab my artist friend by the hand. I'll ask him will he be so kind to draw a close up of "The Breacher". :) That would be pretty cool!

I'll let you know as soon as he responds! :)