Skip to content

Please, please help me out! XD [Creating a custom item]

2»

Comments

• NivthulanNivthulan Member Posts: 1
    Greetings to one and all,

Apologies for my delay in reaching you this day.

I wish to add my sincerest thanks for this great deed you have done for a most dear friend, Cleric.
    He shall treat this fine instrument of battle and calm beauty with the care it is most deserved of.

Long shall he remember and exalt you, for the depth of his honour knows no bounds.

*bows head in respect.*

Until the next meeting of friends, I bid you farewell.

~Nivthulan Keilana
  • Cler1cCler1c Member Posts: 32
    Ah! :D

Lady Nivthulan has come to express her thanks! :D

Troodon forgive me for not returning the answer before. I have been trying to get in touch with a friend of mine on this subject. I believe he will be available to create the required picture for us. :)

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited January 2013
    @Nivthulan, thank you for the input :).

@Cler1c, no rush, whenever you get the picture I will put it into the game.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • EdgedyEdgedy Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for being a great guy and a wonderful asset to the community Troodon80. :)
  • ValendaleValendale Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    Anton said:
    All the links there are useless because TeamBG is down now, unless I'm mistaken and there's something I missed.
    Troodon80 said:

This it the WeiDU setup. As with all WeiDU setups right now, you will need to follow a couple simple steps in order to install it.

If you don't want to create a hardlink, then the alternative steps are just as simple:

It should go without saying, but just in case: make a backup of the dialog.tlk file first and store it somewhere else for safe keeping.

1. Go to the language folder.
    2. Find the language you want (this is in English only unless you want something specific, so that's lang\en_US).
    3. Copy the dialog.tlk file to the main game directory.
    4. Run the installer (copy the contents of the archive in the link to the main game folder, which should be called 00766).
    5. Then copy the patched dialog.tlk file back to the language folder, overwriting the existing one.
    You will have to let me know if it does what you want it to, and if it is correct.

Right now, the sword is a two handed; You are immune to charm/domination, confusion, and stun. You have two spells that you can cast once per day each: Breach and Stoneskin (icons should tell you what they are, but there's also the tooltips). It does 1d10 damage, +3 to THAC0 and Damage, and +4 vs Mind Flayers.

I've made it so that it can be equipped by multiclass fighter/mage/thief, fighter/mage, fighter/thief, as well as the base class so, again, let me know if you want that modified to only be the base class.

If you want a better description (I forgot to type Stun in the mind control section, but the effect is still there), then you'll have to write that up for me.
    This may seem like a really dumb question, but after I install it, how do I run it? I can't find an executable or anything. I'm trying to mod BG:II, Mainly, I just want to create some cosmetic armors for armorless classes that otherwise look like they're running around in short skirts.
    @Valendale,
    Valendale said:

This may seem like a really dumb question, but after I install it, how do I run it? I can't find an executable or anything. I'm trying to mod BG:II, Mainly, I just want to create some cosmetic armors for armorless classes that otherwise look like they're running around in short skirts.

When you say you have installed it, what do you mean? Did you just copy the files as indicated, or did you run the Setup-Breacher.exe file? If you just copied the files into the main game directory, then you will need to run the setup. If you have installed the mod via the setup, then just run the game and bring up the CLUAConsole and use the CreateItem command to create SW2H35.
    edited November 2013
    This is a bunch of indecipherable arcane stuff to me, I haven't edited anything in the infinity engine for a long time. It'd be great if there was an Enhanced Edition tutorial for item modding somewhere.

When you say copy the files as indicated, what do you mean? I put the language folder in my main \Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition folder (where the main exe is) and installed The Breacher in the same folder. But now what do I do? I'm not sure what to do with the WeiDU setup.

I used to have mods and mod tools on my old BG2 install back when I had the Disc, but nothing seems to work now, I can't even find how to run anything, and most of the websites that used to host modding stuff seem to be down. I can't seem to download anything off the sorcerer's palace anymore either.

For instance, you can visit this link
    http://www.pocketplane.net/modlist/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=115
    But it all has links to Teambg which was awesome when it was around but no longer seems available.
    @Valendale, I should also note that the WeiDU installer is outdated when I made that mod. The newer version of WeiDU does not require any copying or pasting of language files. I'll see if I can dig up some information. Here's a quick link that you can read up about it.

For the example given, you need to copy the dialog.tlk file located within the appropriate language folder. Copy the mod installer to the game directory, run the installer, copy the now-modified dialog.tlk back to its appropriate language folder. It's up to you what you do with the mod files themselves once the mod is installed. :)
    Troodon80 said:

For the example given, you need to copy the dialog.tlk file located within the appropriate language folder.

Ok I did that.
    Troodon80 said:

Copy the mod installer to the game directory, run the installer,

Kk did that but I'm a little confused here.
    Troodon80 said:

copy the now-modified dialog.tlk

Wait ok here, how do I modify the dialog.tlk?

Well, more specifically, I don't want to change any dialogues really, what I actually want to do is create a custom item. That involves editing an existing item and creating a description, and placing it in the Override Folder if I remember correctly. But I can't make heads or tales of this.
    @Valendale,
    Valendale said:

Wait ok here, how do I modify the dialog.tlk?

Well, more specifically, I don't want to change any dialogues really, what I actually want to do is create a custom item. That involves editing an existing item and creating a description, and placing it in the Override Folder if I remember correctly. But I can't make heads or tales of this.

The dialog.tlk is a file with every string in the game; item names, descriptions, as well as spells, dialogues, etc.

When you run the mod installer, it adds the strings included in the TP2 file (item name and description) to the dialog.tlk file. You need to copy that dialog.tlk file back to the original language folder for the strings to actually display in-game. Otherwise, you will get the item but there will be no strings associated with it (you'll get something like 'Invalid String:').

If you just want to create a new item yourself then you can use something like DLTCEP. Just load an existing item and edit it in any way you want, then save as a new item. If you want to share it with other people then you will preferably want to use WeiDU to create an installer.

If you think it will help, I will take some screenshots and upload an item creation walkthrough.
    Erg
  • RevolRevol Member Posts: 1
    um a random google search brought me here lol, long time lurker but something I noticed that might be the root of all his problems. hes talking BG2:EE wasn't the installer/sword made for BG:EE? and that's why its not working? still awesome sword(I actualy nabbed it for my cavalier lol) insaly OP but fun when you already ran the campaign 3 times for books on same char(trying to not EEKeeper everything lol)
    edited February 2014
    I was asked to make an updated version of this sword so that it would be compatible with BG2:EE.

You can download it here (edit: fixed link). This adds "The Breacher" to the Adventurer Mart, at a cost of 19800, assuming you haven't already accessed the Ribald's store (I don't think adding is retroactive once a store has been saved in your current game). Otherwise, it should give it to Firkraag and drop when he dies.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    CrevsDaak
  • Cler1cCler1c Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2014
    Wohoo! :D Thank you Troodon! :D And now I'll have to summon Firkraag again to do battle just for the breacher. ^^ (I got him early on with the use of *SPOILERS AHEAD* http://bit.ly/1gnKEM9 )

Death to Illithids! ^^
    Troodon80
  • BurticusBurticus Member Posts: 1
    Sooo... I know this Thread is fairly dead since February, but I was hoping to do a similar thing... I'm playing BG2EE and I can't figure out this item editor thing, I'm playing a Fighter/Cleric of Talos who dual wields Warhammers... I'd really like to figure out how to change existing hammers... I'd like to change the Hammer of Thunderbolts to have the animation of Spiritual hammer spell, as well as Crom Faeyr. Also, maybe add a +1 Lightning damage to Hammer of Thunderbolts, since I think it should at least do some lightning damage considering it's name... Troodon80... you are my only hope!
    @Burticus, I'll take a look in a few hours. :-)
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    This has nothing to do with me but @Troodon80‌ you are a gent and a scholar :) if you ever decide to create an item creation walkthrough I will read it with glee. A brief explanation of how you turn someones scanned sketch into a baldurized item image would also be amazing :D
    @Burticus, I have modified the Hammer of Thunderbolts so that it is the same colour as the Spiritual Hammer and it also deals 1 point of electricity damage. Question: do you also want the Crom Faeyr to also have the same properties?

@jobby, I may do a guide but it will depend on how much time I have. :-)