Skip to content

Atari US files for bankruptcy

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
Just read the news. I wonder if it will affect the digital distribution of BGEE in any way as it's only the US branch of Atari.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/387415/atari-us-files-for-bankruptcy/

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    UHOH.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited January 2013
    Just read this on Google News and came here straight. I guess now we know why BG:EE showed up on Steam all of a sudden.

Hey, maybe the D&D videogame licenses will go to someone who actually cares about using them to make games... but yeah, probably not, as this maneuver is most likely just an economic trick, not a real bankruptcy.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I doubt it will affect much as it stands, but it could explain the decision to release on steam.
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    "...This is the situation that the US arm, which has 40 employees, is said to want to break free from, and if Chapter 11 is successfully completed, the North American business could emerge with its own resources and little or no debt."

The US arm wants to break free from its debt laden French parent so hopefully it's successful in doing so and can emerge healthier. But even the best of plans...
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited January 2013
    What about WotC? I get the impression that they are also partly to blame for BG:EE being so restrictive because Beamdog/Overhaul had to work out the contracts with them as well as Atari. Wouldn't whoever who picked up the license (if it were to actually happen) have to deal with WotC as well as honour any deal previously established?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited January 2013
    mlnevese said:

Just read the news. I wonder if it will affect the digital distribution of BGEE in any way as it's only the US branch of Atari.

Can't say I'm overly surprised, ATA:FR has been on a downward slide for a while.

If a Chapter 11 split succeeds. I'm not sure how this will actually effect BG, if at all. If it doesn't succeed, then someone else may buy up the rights (I'm not sure how Atari's rights management works, so the French parent company may end up simply taking the rights to BG if the American arm doesn't break away). In either case, there probably isn't much reason to worry -- but may explain the Steam release.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

RedGuard said:

What about WotC? I get the impression that they are also partly to blame for BG:EE being so restrictive because Beamdog/Overhaul had to work out the contracts with them as well as Atari. Wouldn't whoever who picked up the license (if it were to actually happen) have to deal with WotC as well as honour any deal previously established?

I dislike how promising game developments are hindered due to legal squabbles.
    Sometime legal issues are created due to genuinely unforseen difficulties such as the disintegration or bankrupcy of companies rather than one or more companies being deliberately obtuse.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    @Bhaaldog when I noticed you had posted on this topic I fully expected your post to say:

"To end... Like this!?"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoneWolfDonLoneWolfDon Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2013
    Bummer news.
    Well, I'm glad I decided to go ahead and buy BG:EE from BeamDog's site rather than Steam, as perhaps this will mean there will be no official support or updates offered from Atari for the version on Steam now.

I hope this doesn't affect the Developers of BG:EE and BeamDog too badly and they will be able to keep on working on their projects and offering continued Support, updates and such.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Bhaaldog said:

RedGuard said:

I dislike how promising game developments are hindered due to legal squabbles.
    100% Agreed. I'm actually amazed Trent still has some hair on his head left after all of the red tape and legal stuff with Atari, WoTC and Apple. I'd throw a table for sure.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Several tables may, indeed, have been thrown, it is simply that we were not made aware of them.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Would it actually change anything on any noticeable scale? Seeing as it's only part of the company, not the entire thing?

100% Agreed. I'm actually amazed Trent still has some hair on his head left after all of the red tape and legal stuff with Atari, WoTC and Apple. I'd throw a table for sure.

Throwing a tablet might not be inappropriate either. Stupid ipads :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Silverstar

Throwing a tablet might not be inappropriate either. Stupid ipads :P

I don't know tablets are more expensive than many tables... It could represent a serious drain in profits. ;)

Anyway I don't really think it will disrupt digital distribution at all. As long as the main company exists it is free to open and close branches as it sees fit. And I doubt the rights are tied exclusively to Atari US.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Don't know what exactly they own in relation to BG (I'm sure it's something)
    How does this affect the EE projects if at all?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Didn't check general, oops
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Even if they are tied to Atari US, that branch isn't going out of business; they're declaring bankruptcy in order to break free from the French parent company. So Beamdog's contract with them would likely remain in effect.
  • KushuKushu Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013
    Interesting. Guess we'll be seeing a new Atari logo in the next few months.

Also? Tinfoil hat!! I went to post this and the site was down for a minute or two. I thought "Are they taking that thread down!?!"
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Tweeted by Trent Oster:
    "We are completely not affected by the Atari bankruptcy. Recent dealings make a lot more sense now."
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    We are completely not affected by the Atari bankruptcy. Recent dealings make a lot more sense now.

— Trent Oster, January 21, 2013
    If nothing else, it reaffirms what people already thought. Nothing is going to change with regards to BG:EE, which is nice :).
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @redguard
    RedGuard said:

That's generally correct, barring an oddball contract. Any interest in the license Atari hypothetically sells would be subject to to their obligations, at least under US law. I'm not familiar with the specifics here, or possibly relevant French law.
  • killykilly Member Posts: 18
    Hi guys, just curious about what this could mean for the future of the baldur's gate series?
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Troodon80 said:

We are completely not affected by the Atari bankruptcy. Recent dealings make a lot more sense now.

— Trent Oster, January 21, 2013
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    All chapter 11 means is that atari is, as mentioned in the article, trying to detach itself from their french counterpart as most of the debt issues lie with them. Atari us remains in control until the procedings are heard and completed in a bankruptcy court. I'm just not sure how the debtload would be distributed in a case like that if at all, but if successful then atari will continue to run and keep it's ip's....hopefully.

So bottom line, business as usual for Atati us until that's done.
    edited January 2013
    From twitter:

Trent Oster -
    Trent Oster -
    No matter what happens, we'll work with all parties to ensure our customers get updates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited January 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I'm glad it doesn't affect overhaul that's good news. Hopefully Atari US can bounce back