Skip to content

Killed Drizzt in 3 seconds!!! are werebears OP?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    satyrion said:

TJ_Hooker said:

satyrion said:

Um werewolves are a 4HD monster in 2e, so as a level 11 druid with no spells on you, you become a level 4 monster whose biggest advantage is protection from normal weapons. Fighting anything with a +1 or greater weapon (Dorn comes to mind) they have a good chance of winning that fight.

From the 2e Monster Manual
    Lycanthrope, Werewolf
    No. Appearing: 3-18 (3d6)
    Armor Class: 5
    Hit Dice: 4+3
    THAC0: 15
    No. of Attacks: 1
    Damage/Attack: 2-8
    Special Attacks: Nil
    Special Defenses: Hit only by silver or +1 or better magical weapon

Now the 2e supplement book for druids says nothing about becoming a werewolf, other than that in order to be a shapeshifter the druid needs some type of special lineage (it gives the taint of lycanthropy or silver dragon blood in you family line as examples). It says the benefit to the kit is the ability to shapechange at level 1 instead of level 7, and the benefit is to be able to change to an NATURAL animal of 1/2 the HD of the druids level.

Those are the breaks as per ad&d 2e rules.

Yeah with real D&D rules i owned Dorn in a few seconds, but with BG's nerfed version i lost to him
    Umm, did you actuall read @Fighting_Ferret's post? He just described the werewolf as per "real D&D rules", and as far as I can tell, they won't be 'owning' anyone unless that person doesn't have a magical weapon.
    They would be owning a lvl 5 Fighter at least :)
    I really think you need to re-read his post. The werewolf he described is only level 4, has one attack per round, a THAC0 of 15, an AC of 5, and does 2-8 damage.

Dorn at level 5 would have more HP, more attacks per round (assuming weapon specialization), a better AC (as long as he's wearing pretty much any kind of armour), do more damage per hit, and a better THAC0 (at least 13, from 16 base +3 from strength). As long as he has a magical weapon, I would fully expect him to waste a werewolf.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Yeah, still trying to figure it out too...

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Bhaaldog said:

I heard rumours that a fire breathing rabbit familiar can beat Drizzt in 2 seconds! I swear I had only drank 13 goblets of Evermead at the time though...

My half orc can breath fire. It just doesn't come out of his mouth. And usually only happens after he has Mexican food.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Aosaw said:

One of the great things about Baldur's Gate is that it can be modified to suit your playstyle.

If you like things to follow the PnP rules closely, you can do that.

If you like things the way they are, you can do that too.

If you like to start the game with a Holy Avenger and Drizzt in your party, you can also do that.

None of these is a "wrong" way to play, because the game is notoriously easy to modify. None of these is the absolute correct way, with the possible exception of "Vanilla"--but even then, there will always be people who prefer the game with mods.

I agree that Drizzt is poorly designed; he matches many of his intended "stats", but because he's a composition of arbitrary numbers, he isn't actually the ranger that he's supposed to be, which means that he's both more and less powerful depending on your perspective. (Twinkle and Icingdeath not being magical is a bug, and worth reporting.)

None of this is a reason to bully, berate, or badger each other. At the end of the day, we're talking about a

video game. Sometimes I think people forget that. :)

I agree completely, it's just frustrating to me that the op is claiming how easy and unbalanced the game is using mods. People often complain about how classes in crpgs are not balanced vs one another and they are often missing the point that its a game and to play what's fun.

• VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    Looks like you have a friend in another discussion, he killed Saverok with a time stop.

You guys should play online together.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @VittordeVitto

We will teach the Werebears how to cast Time Stop.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    Except that Tiax rules all...

moopy said:

@VittordeVitto

This druid should make these werebears date some fision slimes to produce some VERY powerfull fision wereslimes.

Those would rule over all.

• KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    edited January 2013
    D&D rules are balanced around the presence of a game master anyway, which cannot be implemented in a game until we develop some sort of advanced AI.

So any video game that strictly applies D&D is bound to fail.
    SirK8 said:

moopy said:

@VittordeVitto

This druid should make these werebears date some fision slimes to produce some VERY powerfull fision wereslimes.

For now. =)
    wereslime pls

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

SirK8 said:

moopy said:

@VittordeVitto

For now. =)
    wereslime pls

Wereslimes are good but how about vampiric wereslimes?
    that would require a nasty menage a trois , and the game would then be labbed MRated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Wouldn't they be Werebearslimes? Like people who transform into humongous gelatinous bears that endlessly divide until they conquer all, or get hit by a fireball?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited January 2013
    Kukaracha said:

D&D rules are balanced around the presence of a game master anyway, which cannot be implemented in a game until we develop some sort of advanced AI.

So any video game that strictly applies D&D is bound to fail.

I don't agree. One DM I had was almost like a computer. He was extremely literal minded in his interpretation of the rules and modules he ran. I'd say that most CRPGs I have played did at least as good as he did (sorry Steve).

On a serious note, A live DM can alter and manipulate the encounters to scale against a party. A Live DM can give latitude where industrious players may warrant it. A Live DM can present an actual intelligent AI for the monsters. And a live DM can see through Cheese better than a computer. But.... As far as controlling for quite a bit of this, I think BG series does a pretty good job for what it is. All IMHO.
  • pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111

A certain red dragon in the Living Greyhawk campaign was very experimentative when it came to bedtime companions. We fought half red dragon flying fire-breathing delvers once.

And you will have to live out the rest of your day with the mental image of exactly how such beings were...conceived. >:->

• pekirtpekirt Member Posts: 111
    pekirt said:

A certain red dragon in the Living Greyhawk campaign was very experimentative when it came to bedtime companions. We fought half red dragon flying fire-breathing delvers once.

..Or was it a bulette? Bah, my memory fails me. I do remember that there were half dragon fire breathing sheep for the lower APLs.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Clearly the problem is with the D&D rules. I remember one time I was Dungeon Master and sent a party of basic goblins against a level 15 party and they got wiped out very easily. I wish these balance problems would be addressed.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359

.... is there anyone on this forum not using hacks and going 'lul diz game iz esey!!!'

The only "hack" I use is enabling the CLUA console, and I've not dared try that with BGEE yet.

• hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    I just killed drizzt as a bountyhunter, set 8 traps, and sniped him. was epic. didnt need hacks
  • I just killed drizzt as a bountyhunter, set 8 traps, and sniped him. was epic. didnt need hacks

This is my favorite method of killing the Cowled Wizard enforcement squads in BG2. Step 1: Yoshimo sets up a bunch of traps; Step 2: Party mage stands in the middle of the traps and casts a spell; Step 3: ???? (The Cowled Wizards reaction to teleporting into a death trap); Step 4: Profit! Since the wizards don't bother to pre-buff, their contingencies and spell triggers don't get the chance to fire before they gib.
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    @Kaigen that... that's BRILLIANT!
  • @ScytheKnight It's similar in principle to the old "Summon something to distract them and blanket the area with clouds and nukes" strategy, but it's a lot faster to set up and execute. It's also less prone to killing innocent bystanders, since the fight is over before it even starts (and traps are harmless to the blue-circled).

Of course, you need either Jan, Yoshimo, or a Charname Thief to do this, as Nalia and Imoen are rubbish for trap-laying.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Wilbur said:

Roller12 said:

ironically no matter the level Shapeshifters are illegal in bg, since the original game doesnt have any kits.

Yes, but we're talking about BG:EE here in which they are very "legal".

A lot of the changes made in comparison to original BG1 make the game easier and I don't mind it being easier since you can always create a less god-like PC or restrain yourself from using any cheesy tactics.
    well yes, Overhaul added extra stuff to the game and made it legal, but so did the OP, nocap is legal is his game ecosystem. I mean they added stoneskin to the game, any fighter/mage would own drizzt, being immune to his weapons, capped or not. Just some classes are better than the others against single targets( or just specific encounters). On the other hand a 200k fighter would have about the same chances as a 161k fighter. So i feel there is a lot unnecessarily bashing in this thread. The OP just found a class that owns Drizzt, no big deal really, its not the only one, killing Drizzt is not a difficult task.
  • nptitimnptitim Member Posts: 111
    If you want to make the game/Drizzt tougher, try this mod. I couldn't kill him with 6 level 10 characters and I usually beat the game easily. I do like this mod though, tougher enemies but more XP to go with it:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13762/modimproved-difficulty-mod-beta
  • UnknownQuantityUnknownQuantity Member Posts: 242
    I would prefer if he was not able to be killed. The poor guy has survived the underdark and other powerful beings, but can be taken down by a group of low level adventurers just starting out. I have to think Drizzt was not accurately portrayed in D&D stats. In the books he took down a stone golem by chipping it with his scimitars lol.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

I would prefer if he was not able to be killed. The poor guy has survived the underdark and other powerful beings, but can be taken down by a group of low level adventurers just starting out. I have to think Drizzt was not accurately portrayed in D&D stats. In the books he took down a stone golem by chipping it with his scimitars lol.

I've actually read elsewhere on the forums, from a guy who seemed to know his stuff when it comes to DnD, that Drizzt is actually more powerful in BG than his official 2E stats. I think he has some extra resistances, a better AC, and maybe even more attacks per round than he should.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    Only one guy could really duel drizzt, Artemis entreri, and it's still a draw, don't you nerds know your lore? Lol
This discussion has been closed.