Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Not being able to get belt of antipode

13

Comments

  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    indeed a game like BG grows on you. I've lost count of the times I've played through this game, and not once did I not find new quests/items/events/shops - that I missed out the first time.

    that is actually what makes this game worth playing again and again, that and the brilliant story
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,513
    Feature requests get considered based on a few criteria such as:
    - Popular demand
    - Broken feature/mechanic
    - Missing content that is implied

    Your argument seems that the feature is not acceptable to you. I can appreciate that, but it is not broken and is working as intended. So your other recourse is to get enough people on your side to make this a popular request. I am here to help, but you have to convince the community here that this is a worthy feature. This is a major mechanic change and it would need to be overwhelmingly popular to even consider it. Then it would have to go through the proper channels to be approved or rejected. The better your case, the better chance you have of getting a feature implemented.

    I will allow this thread to continue a bit longer, but it needs to have some substance and some valid reasons why this should even be considered.

    SirK8mlnevese[Deleted User]Selaboc
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    This is my second favorite thread haha :) My favorite is this one
    ErgmoopyHerrderGezeitenCrevsDaak
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    SirK8 said:

    This is my second favorite thread haha :) My favorite is this one

    I totally saw that coming =D

    SirK8moopyCrevsDaak
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Cuv said:

    Feature requests get considered based on a few criteria such as:
    - Popular demand
    - Broken feature/mechanic
    - Missing content that is implied

    Your argument seems that the feature is not acceptable to you. I can appreciate that, but it is not broken and is working as intended. So your other recourse is to get enough people on your side to make this a popular request. I am here to help, but you have to convince the community here that this is a worthy feature. This is a major mechanic change and it would need to be overwhelmingly popular to even consider it. Then it would have to go through the proper channels to be approved or rejected. The better your case, the better chance you have of getting a feature implemented.

    I will allow this thread to continue a bit longer, but it needs to have some substance and some valid reasons why this should even be considered.

    I doubt any substance will be found. Heaven help us if the OP finds out about the +1 dagger for 18 charisma characters in candlekeep, or if he turns in Prism and misses out on the Varscona sword.
    SirK8mjsTJ_HookerSelaboc
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Madhax - you win this thread, I think @Cuv can close it now :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 7,700
    Nope. AFAIK a fully patched vanilla version would always give you that dagger at 18 charisma.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Bhaaldog said:

    Madhax said:

    Heaven help us if the OP finds out about the +1 dagger for 18 charisma characters in candlekeep, or if he turns in Prism and misses out on the Varscona sword.

    Sorry to go off topic but did they change that in BG EE? I originally thought that a high charisma would allow you to get the dagger but in the original game I did that quest numerous times with a charisma of 18 and received nothing, that was subsequently followed by a negative response from Hull.
    Unless I'm mis-remembering, it's a reward from the soldier in the barracks who needs crossbow bolts, not Hull. He's one of the few quest-givers in Candlekeep that you actually have to offer your services to, everyone else immediately gives you an errand to run when you talk to them.
    mlnevese[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    reposter said:

    The old D&D rpgs I played usually do not have magical items that are out in the open and disappear if I do not go get them within a certain time period. Its quite disappointing to me that this game has such a system even for unique items that cannot be replaced and are out in the open due to creature deaths.

    I'm kinda curious what RPGs you are playing that make you think that items on the ground persisting indefinately is the norm. In the majority of the games I've played, it's pretty standard to have items disappear after a certain amount of time, or even as soon as you leave the area. Leaving something lying around in the hope of picking it up later was a gamble at best. In fact BG is much more forgiving in some regards, in that you can revisit almost any area at almost any time, whereas some games with more discrete areas or levels often won't let you backtrack.
    reposter said:

    Now I am not here to argue with everyone who disagress that this feature should be included in the next patch, but like I said its no fun to miss out on items that could have been reasonably acquired by using my thief and stealth mode (like I said its my first time playing, I did not know). I only found out about the item when I started the third chapter. Now I am not saying I am going to get more character deaths or not with the item, but hey like I said if they could add in the feature to make unique items persist in the game world irregardless of item container, I would be content to try and finish the game, that is all.

    I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that you didn't know you had to use stealth to get the belt, or are you saying that you didn't know you didn't need to use stealth? Because if it's the former, then stealth is absolutely not necessary. You can pretty much just walk on over there; if you're lucky you may not even encounter any enemies. And again I'm curious what kind of games you play that make you expect to get every single magic item in the game on your first playthrough. It's literally impossible in BG, even with guides, as some items are rewards for quests where you need to pick a side, and you get a different item depending on which side you choose.

    On a much more pedantic note, "irregardless" is not a word.
    ErgSirK8Selaboc
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Bhaaldog said:

    Oh you misunderstood me. Once you have done the crossbow bolt errand, I generally then go back to Hull to give him his sword. Sometimes Hull will say something along the line of Gorion raised you well alternatively he says something negative. With a high charisma I would normally expect the positive response but this was not always the case. (This is of course in the original game though so my knowledge may be out of date).

    It is based on reaction, so it depends on both charisma and reputation. Did you happen to have a low reputation at the time?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 7,700
    Actually I think BG is quite forgiving as it allows you to store stuff in containers and it's all there when you return. Sometimes I think there should be a random chance another adventurer passing by finds your hidden stash...
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Bhaaldog - Hull just has a chip on his shoulder for your CHARNAME :)
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 933
    SirK8 said:

    This is my second favorite thread haha :) My favorite is this one

    @SirK8

    That is every ones favorite thread. Or it should be.

    SirK8CrevsDaak
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 933
    If I start with an evil alignment with 18 charisma I DON'T get the dagger.

    Then in my anger I killed the guy and took it.
    SirK8mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 7,700
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    reposter said:


    How is using a FAQ a cheat? Its just a walkthrough not an invulnerable cheat or adding in things that are not suppose to be there to be there. I do not mind spoilers but to use a console to do a developers job is just not right in my point of view. I fight fairly when I play, so using a walkthrough is just a guide not a "cheat". If you do not want to help or just want to teach people to cheat by using console, like I said it will not work out, there is not much to talk about.

    How is it not a cheat? you gain knowledge of what is coming, knowledge that if you weren't cheating you wouldn't have until you actually discover it for yourself by playing the game. "fighting fair" would be playing the game without seeking out foreknowledge of what lies ahead.

    And, sorry to break it to you, but the developer's job isn't to save you from the choices you make. You chose not to investigate the area where Gorion was killed. you only went back after you cheated to find out that there was something worth going there for. it was too late by that point. too bad, so sad. deal with it and learn from it. whigning about it and blaming the developer for it "will not work out".

  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Selaboc said:

    reposter said:


    How is using a FAQ a cheat? Its just a walkthrough not an invulnerable cheat or adding in things that are not suppose to be there to be there. I do not mind spoilers but to use a console to do a developers job is just not right in my point of view. I fight fairly when I play, so using a walkthrough is just a guide not a "cheat". If you do not want to help or just want to teach people to cheat by using console, like I said it will not work out, there is not much to talk about.

    How is it not a cheat? you gain knowledge of what is coming, knowledge that if you weren't cheating you wouldn't have until you actually discover it for yourself by playing the game. "fighting fair" would be playing the game without seeking out foreknowledge of what lies ahead.
    By your logic, you are cheating every playthrough you do after your first.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    TJ_Hooker said:


    By your logic, you are cheating every playthrough you do after your first.

    While I can see where you'd come to that illogical conclusion, the difference is that that would be knowledge you earned though playing the game rather then knowledge you had handed to you for the express purpose of not having to earn it the hard way.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    TJ_Hooker said:



    By your logic, you are cheating every playthrough you do after your first.

    I hit return too early, to conintue....

    the key point in the post you were replying to is "you actually discover it for yourself by playing the game". bottom line is that if you aren't discovering if for yourself through playing the game, you are in fact cheating.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Mmk, yeah I think I see where you're coming from now. I don't necessarily agree with you, but I can see how I was wrong in the conclusion I drew from your logic.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Selaboc There's an edit button in the top right corner of your posts. :)
    Selaboc
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    Jalily said:

    @Selaboc There's an edit button in the top right corner of your posts. :)

    Cool, never noticed that there. Thanks.
  • reposterreposter Member Posts: 36
    Selaboc said:

    reposter said:


    How is using a FAQ a cheat? Its just a walkthrough not an invulnerable cheat or adding in things that are not suppose to be there to be there. I do not mind spoilers but to use a console to do a developers job is just not right in my point of view. I fight fairly when I play, so using a walkthrough is just a guide not a "cheat". If you do not want to help or just want to teach people to cheat by using console, like I said it will not work out, there is not much to talk about.

    How is it not a cheat? you gain knowledge of what is coming, knowledge that if you weren't cheating you wouldn't have until you actually discover it for yourself by playing the game. "fighting fair" would be playing the game without seeking out foreknowledge of what lies ahead.

    And, sorry to break it to you, but the developer's job isn't to save you from the choices you make. You chose not to investigate the area where Gorion was killed. you only went back after you cheated to find out that there was something worth going there for. it was too late by that point. too bad, so sad. deal with it and learn from it. whigning about it and blaming the developer for it "will not work out".

    Using a FAQ is not cheating as far as I am concerned. It is just a guide / walkthrough, think of it like using a map or GPS before you go on a long journey, afterall that is what most walkthrough gives information on anyway: maps of the game. The fights with the enemies are fair and without edit, using an FAQ does not give you an edge over your opponent, it just gives you a "clue" as to how to go about the quest if you do not know what to do. It does not change the outcome of fights.

    If you insist it is cheating that is your point of view, like I said I think using console to add in an item which you missed out is cheating because it is a form of editing which is not legitatmetly allowed by the game if you play by default. However, bear in mind that it is a unique item that was missed out on, not a normal reasonably replaceable item that was missed out which is why I find it no fun anymore.

    If you think I am whining then what is the point of you talking to me? Like I said I am not agreeable with the way this game develops, its my choice to stop if I just do not find the game fun anymore. If you are trying to convince me that I might as well just console in the belt, like I said I will not do it. Thank you for trying to convince me but sorry its not what I will do.

    To TJ_Hooker:

    The old D&D rpgs I played were Neverwinter Nights 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil. In those games I never encountered a situation where an unique item was to be inside an NPC that died due to scripted events, and having an item left out in the open with limited time duration to collect the item.

  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 933
    It isn't like the belt summons werebears. Just saying.

    That would be awesome.
    SirK8
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited February 2013
    reposter said:

    Using a FAQ is not cheating as far as I am concerned. It is just a guide / walkthrough, think of it like using a map or GPS before you go on a long journey

    Right, a GPS! Why don't you make also a thread in Feature Requests to add to the game a magic compass that always tells you where to go and where the next item is? That would be even more awesome then werebears.
    reposter said:

    If you are trying to convince me that I might as well just console in the belt, like I said I will not do it.

    The honourable choice would be to deal with the loss of the item, but you don't want to do that. So if the developers give you back the belt it is not cheating, if you do it yourself it is cheating. Whoa man, that's deep!
    reposter said:

    The old D&D rpgs I played were Neverwinter Nights 2 and Temple of Elemental Evil

    Yep, they're much older than BG. Oh wait ...

    moopy
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
  • WerebearWerebear Guest Posts: 4
    Erg said:

    That would be even more awesome then werebears.

    Rude. Maybe more awesome than Ergs.
    swnmcmlxi said:

    Werebearz rulez ok!

    FACTUAL!
    ErgSirK8CrevsDaak
This discussion has been closed.