Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

NPC Preview: Dark Side of the Sword Coast

245678

Comments

  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 9,602

    Castorp said:

    Very nice.
    DSotSC is very fun indeed, and dusting it off is truly a nice idea.

    Are you also re-working the balance aspects of the mod? The original version introduced a lot of new objects that many would consider OP, especially considering how easy the original campaign already is with the BG2 engine.
    Also, will you expand the banters of the NPCs?

    Thanks @Castorp!

    Yes, all that you mentioned is in the plan!

    @CuChoinneach

    You could start by taking a look at some of the changes the BPBalancer does. It may save some work balancing things.

  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I have a few questions, and please don't take these the wrong way...

    First I just wanted to say that I'm shamed by not actually trying this mod when it was out for BG (I have been playing BG for years) and now that I know this was the first mod that was out for BG, I think I'm shamed even more... but I digress

    1. Wouldn't a harper bard be True Neutral? From what I know of harpers (which isn't much) is that they try to maintain a balance whereever they go, so I figure they're all true neutral. Not sure if that's true though so correct me if I'm wrong; I might learn something.

    2. Why are they all good alignment? I'm guessing it just happened that way, but isn't that a bit... one sided? I saw the post about wanting to add two Evil NPCs, which would be awesome, but I'm just curious about the alignments of those that have already been introduced.

    3. Are you guys planning on adding extra content as well to this mod, or are you guys doing just a resculpture so it fits BG:EE?

  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2013
    Isandir said:


    ...
    If anyone else has any suggestions, we're open to them, as we want to make sure that this mod becomes one of the best. Just drop a comment for Solaufein or CuChoinneach here, or at baldursgatemods.com.

    The Umberlee Priestess (fisherman Quest, the killed her mother?)

    Joinable NPC i would try,..

  • KaigenKaigen Member Posts: 1,567
    Don't let Jaheira fool you. The Harper idea about "Balance" is more about promoting good while being mindful of long term consequences and avoiding extremes than of actually trying to equalize the good and evil in the world. Besides, they figure Evil's always trying to mess things up, so promoting Good just keeps that in check.

  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    Xavioria said:

    I have a few questions, and please don't take these the wrong way...

    First I just wanted to say that I'm shamed by not actually trying this mod when it was out for BG (I have been playing BG for years) and now that I know this was the first mod that was out for BG, I think I'm shamed even more... but I digress

    1. Wouldn't a harper bard be True Neutral? From what I know of harpers (which isn't much) is that they try to maintain a balance whereever they go, so I figure they're all true neutral. Not sure if that's true though so correct me if I'm wrong; I might learn something.

    2. Why are they all good alignment? I'm guessing it just happened that way, but isn't that a bit... one sided? I saw the post about wanting to add two Evil NPCs, which would be awesome, but I'm just curious about the alignments of those that have already been introduced.

    3. Are you guys planning on adding extra content as well to this mod, or are you guys doing just a resculpture so it fits BG:EE?

    Actually, the Alignment of the Harpers (organization) is Chaotic Good. Jaheria is a Fighter/Druid so she must be neutral... but the Harpers have many in all the alignments, from neutral to good, but mostly good.

    When we created the mod, it was just the way it seemed to work. Since the quests had to do with heroic or honor (killing undead, killing a dragon, killing a vampire, killing drow, etc...) then it seemed to make sense. That being said... we are looking at the possibility of adding in some new "evil" NPCs with their own quests.

    We are adding in new content, fleshing out the current content, and upgrading/balancing/etc.

    Thanks!

    Xavioria
  • KaigenKaigen Member Posts: 1,567

    When we created the mod, it was just the way it seemed to work. Since the quests had to do with heroic or honor (killing undead, killing a dragon, killing a vampire, killing drow, etc...) then it seemed to make sense. That being said... we are looking at the possibility of adding in some new "evil" NPCs with their own quests.

    If you do, you should call the new component "Bright Side of the Sword Coast," just for irony's sake ;)

    Fina92leeux
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 586
    edited January 2013
    I was going to ask about the name (I have never played the mod, but gladly will when it is BG:EE compatible): why the "Dark" Side? how is it darker than the rest of BG1 exactly?

    Very impressed by the depth of the game, its community and such a mod. Amazing to see some of those originally involved still active. Congratulations gentlemen.

  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    Ignatius said:

    I was going to ask about the name (I have never played the mod, but gladly will when it is BG:EE compatible): why the "Dark" Side? how is it darker than the rest of BG1 exactly?

    Very impressed by the depth of the game, its community and such a mod. Amazing to see some of those originally involved still active. Congratulations gentlemen.

    We came up with "Dark Side" because of the heavy amount of Undead and Vampires in it. As well as Drow!

    Ignatius
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I actually remember burning this mod on disc along with Trials Of The Luremaster (IWD)... wow that was a long time ago!

    CuChoinneachlunar
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2013


    When we created the mod, it was just the way it seemed to work. Since the quests had to do with heroic or honor (killing undead, killing a dragon, killing a vampire, killing drow, etc...) then it seemed to make sense. That being said... we are looking at the possibility of adding in some new "evil" NPCs with their own quests.

    We are adding in new content, fleshing out the current content, and upgrading/balancing/etc.

    Cool, this and Archaic's GUI mod are my two most anticipated EE mods at the moment. Looking forward to what you guys cook up.

  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I definitely stand corrected... kind of makes me dislike harpers even more... except Jaheira, she's a badass.

    BUT anywho, I did not mean at all to imply that you guys weren't doing good works, I just wanted to indulge in some of my personal curiosity. I really can't wait to try this mod out for the first time! I think I'm partially glad it'll be in EE!

    Another question: I'm sure there is banter between bioware NPCs and the DSotSC NPCs, will there be banters with Neera, Dorn, and/or Rasaad?

    Illustair
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Castorp said:

    Very nice.
    DSotSC is very fun indeed, and dusting it off is truly a nice idea.

    Are you also re-working the balance aspects of the mod? The original version introduced a lot of new objects that many would consider OP, especially considering how easy the original campaign already is with the BG2 engine.
    Also, will you expand the banters of the NPCs?

    Seconding this question on the OP items that come along with some of the NPCs.

  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    AHF said:



    Seconding this question on the OP items that come along with some of the NPCs.

    Yes. We are looking at balancing issues, including OP Items, OP NPCs and perhaps increasing difficulty of Bosses in fights (bringing them more inline with what their true stats and abilities should be). All in all, we are trying to address most if not all of the issues that have been brought up over the past 13 years. I hope that answers the question thoroughly. ;)

    IchigoRXCAHFJames
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Thanks, @CuChoineach! Looking forward to it.

  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Isandir said:

    8 of 9. The beautiful Harper bard.

    image

    Might this actually be that rare thing... an NPC bard with actually decent stats?

    lunar
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

    Perhaps... ;)

    Perhaps a Skald even? Or at least one of the other kits? Though a non-kitted Bard with decent stats would do!

  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    If you're adding new adventures, any chance of a experience reducer, so I don't hit the level cap too soon, or has anyone tried simdingos one with BGEE?

  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    James said:

    If you're adding new adventures, any chance of a experience reducer, so I don't hit the level cap too soon, or has anyone tried simdingos one with BGEE?

    ... we have level reducers... and also cap raisers. ;)

    (that's all I'm saying at this point)

  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2013

    Perhaps... ;)

    Perhaps a Skald even? Or at least one of the other kits? Though a non-kitted Bard with decent stats would do!

    Well she is a Harper...so... ;)

  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

    Perhaps... ;)

    Perhaps a Skald even? Or at least one of the other kits? Though a non-kitted Bard with decent stats would do!

    Well she is a Harper...so... ;)
    Oh, you tease! :-)

  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110

    James said:

    If you're adding new adventures, any chance of a experience reducer, so I don't hit the level cap too soon, or has anyone tried simdingos one with BGEE?

    ... we have level reducers... and also cap raisers. ;)

    (that's all I'm saying at this point)
    Everyone has a cap raiser ..... a cap reducer on the other hand, like golddust

  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 9,602
    @James

    Just read my OP in the thread below and it'll explain how to set the cap to whatever you want.

    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover/p1

    James
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    @mlnevese Can I slow it down? i.e reduce all experience earned by 10 or 20%

  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 9,602
    @james Yes but it would be very complicated. I don't know any mod that is compatible with the EE that does that.

    James
  • _Crusher_Crusher Member Posts: 10
    Hello ..

    I was very happy to know what is being produced a version of DSoTSC for the EE, I really love this mod and already finished BG1 with it before, my favorite characters are the CuChoinneach and Keiria.

    Some suggestions:

    - Do a little less magical items + X for the BG, these items end up being too powerful for the game.

    - Please record new voice lines for NPCs, it would be wonderful to play with characters full of voices like Neera for example.

    - Revise better enemies and their characteristics slightly decreasing the degree of difficulty and if possible create a proper name for the Dragon of the game - in Faerum the dragons are rare creatures that are usually known by a name such as Frikraag in BG2 .

    I wish good luck to you guys on this project, I want to be the first to play when it is Released. xD

    Oxford_Guy
  • CuChoinneachCuChoinneach Member Posts: 105
    edited February 2013
    Thanks... glad you like it! We will attempt to hit all of those suggestions... ;)

Sign In or Register to comment.