Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round II: Gender-Swap Portraits (UPDATE: Winners Announced!)

Comments

• IvanhoeIvanhoe Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 510
    edited February 2013
    @Aedan
    HAAAAAA! And say that to memory, I remembered her human! Then I have seen here (damnation).
    http://www.oscargalliano.it/bald7.htm
    Ha ha. I think that it is now too much late, to modify her!
    PS: Say that her contempt for the men, has made her less masculine... :)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited February 2013
    @Ivanhoe
    How can you consider reliable a site where half of the space is full of naked women? XD
    Sophia
    edited February 2013
    @Aedan LOL! (There, a powerful spell of enchantment, must have deflected my attention!)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    The time for submissions has ended, but I'm going to leave this topic open if anyone wants to continue this as a fanart challenge for the next week or so. :P
    Moomintroll
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Congrats on some great entries all.

Now the "competitive" part's out of the way, would anyone be interested in giving/receiving constructive feedback? I always find it helpful, but didn't want to put anyone off their game, so to speak.
    MoomintrollIvanhoeFungostar
  • FungostarFungostar Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 179
    I'm surely happy if someone has suggestions for me...
    but consider I'm an extreme newbie when coming to graphics :)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Feedback? I'm not really one for criticism, but I will say that there is great talent in here. I wish I had half the talent on display in this thread. All I have to my name is my werepandaspiderslime in all its nightmarish glory.
    ErgPantalionSirK8
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Troodon80 said:

Feedback? I'm not really one for criticism, but I will say that there is great talent in here. I wish I had half the talent on display in this thread. All I have to my name is my werepandaspiderslime in all its nightmarish glory.

New bossmonster for my D&D campaign - check.
    Pantalion
    I need your clothes, your boots, and your hamster wheel... For justice!

@Fungostar - I think the first and foremost thing I'd mention is that you might want to work on things outside of the face. I think your facial work is excellent, but working on things like Skie's hand/bodyshape and Dynaheir's clothes/tracts of land could make your pictures come together even better.

Second thing to consider, and it's minor one that a lot of folks miss (I certainly used to), are foreheads. Men tend to have taller, broader foreheads, in the same way that male faces are typically longer and more spread out than female ones, and have a hairline closer to a square or an "M" shape as opposed to the more rounded one of a woman. You've already got it pretty much perfect with Dynaheir (in my opinion your best picture), so keeping an eye on that shape/proportion would help ensure your pictures are consistently that good.

In general, I very much like how well your conversions match the original. Cora definitely looks female, and matches well with Coran, and the same can be said of all your entries, I hope you're planning on doing some more for round #3.

@Troodon80 - Is it a Werepanda Spiderslime, a Werepandaspider Slime, or a human with Pandaspiderslimecanthropy? How deep does the nightmare go?!
    @Pantalion

Thanks, your indications are surely valuable, I'll take them in consideration :)

I'll try to do something for the third round...
    drow-ize NPCs could be even more challenging than swapping genders, I think it's something like applying an alpha blended dark texture on their face and make the ears more pointy :)
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Pantalion - that's one good lookin' FemMinsc!
    @SirK8 And you sir, just made my wife's evening. She says that her name is Minx.
    Moomintroll
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Pantalion - Nice! I just may use this in my one of my current games where Minsc ... ahem Minx... is wearing the cursed girdle.
  • SigiliteSigilite Member Posts: 3
    @Pantalion & @Fungostar, since you asked for feedback here are my 2 cents (for whatever it's worth ^^).
    Your submissions are fantastic, I especially like Jaheir (very detailed and clear) and Dynaheir.
    If there is anything to improve I would say that both of you have some pics (not all) where in certain areas a little bit too much blending/bluring is going on which creates a kinda unsharp/out of focus touch.
    You could try to preserve/get back more of the original texture/detail and/or blend those areas more subtle.
    Other than that I think your works are really pretty good. Keep it up guys!
    PantalionFungostar
    edited February 2013
    Readers' Choice polls are now open:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16069/candlekeep-library-readers-choice-round-ii-semifinals-poll-1
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16070/candlekeep-library-readers-choice-round-ii-semifinals-poll-2
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16071/candlekeep-library-readers-choice-round-ii-semifinals-poll-3

Since polls can only have 10 options, we've split the 21 entries into three polls. After three days, the winning entries in each poll will face off against each other. The winner will be eligible for the free games in addition to the Candlekeep Library prize.

Good luck!
    MoomintrollFungostarAndreaColomboTroodon80
    Might I suggest that the entries be placed alongside their original, as Shar-Teel's picture is? I for one am far too lazy to find the original to find and compare.
    IvanhoeMoomintroll
    edited February 2013
    For completeness, however, I add here also the single image (cut from the previous). :)
    Post edited by Ivanhoe on
  • MemmMemm Member Posts: 26
    Thank you. Congrats to the runner-ups and reader's choice winner.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Congratulations to all of the winners and runner-ups, and much courage and success for the participants in the next round! :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,497
    Congrats to all who participated, all the work was great and enjoyed muchley! :D
    AndreaColombo
  • SigiliteSigilite Member Posts: 3
    Congratulations to the winners and of course everyone who took part in the contest. Totally nice move to have a Readers' Choice and Jury's Pick! Awesomeness!
    Big Congratulations to all four winners !

• SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2013
    Wow you guys, I'm absolutely floored :O thank you so much!

Grats to everyone cause everyone was awesome!
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    WOOT! I has a BG2:EE! :D (Or will have it, once it's out).
    Thank you for the votes everyone, I'm thrilled and happy to know you like my pics. :D
    Congrats and thank you to all other participants, it's been fun to compete with you, guys!
    See you at the third challenge! :)
    Fina92
    Okay, the contest is over, but there's still so many NPCs to gender-swap... is it okay if I add them here as I make 'em, or should I dig up that other girdle-challenge post? Or maybe I should just stick them in my own portrait thread? So many choices... ;)
    I guess I'll post this one for now, and just shoo me away if I'm trespassing, okay? :)
    SophiaTroodon80Aedanmeagloth
    edited May 2013
    I've decided that I'll keep posting new gender-swapped portrait here, for two reasons:
    1 - to keep 'em all in one place (well, two places actually, here and that other girdle challenge). ;)
    2 - I know there are people on the board who get squicked by gender swapping, and I don't want them to bump into it while reading the otherwise inoffensive portrait thread.
    So I'm going to revive this thread whenever I 'curse' another unlucky NPC. (@Jalily, is that OK? Let me know if it isn't). Any other portraits inspired by following contests which I don't finish on time to enter the contest itself I will post on the 'Alternate NPC Portraits' thread, so you need not worry about me resurrecting other contest threads. :)
    Now to cut to the chase: Lady Yoshika

imageimage

There's still something slightly off about her face, but I can't put my finger on it. Is it the hair? The dimple? I don't know. *frowns*

EDIT: At @Jalily 's suggestion I corrected the eyes, or, more precisely, eyelids. Improvement, Y/N?
    Post edited by Syntia13 on
    JalilyTroodon80lunar
    edited May 2013
    It's fiiiiine! :D

As for Yoshika, there's something about the eyes...
    Syntia13Troodon80