Skip to content

Someone tried 3x Multi class

I would like to know if someone played with a 3x multiclass, and whats the max lvl u can reach on each class with the exp cap.

ty :)

btw worths it?

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    My very first game of Baldur's Gate was with a fighter/mage/thief. I managed to beat the game in the end, but man if he didn't level up incredibly slowly.

It was pretty hard and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    I currently have one game going with a triple class. It is certainly a unique challenge, and I'm enjoying it a lot for that reason. But leveling up comes very slow and your PC will never be the toughest character in the party (unless you're playing a very small party). I would not recommend it for an inexperienced player.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    GaNoN said:

whats the max lvl u can reach on each class with the exp cap.

Divide the xp cap by 3 to see how much you can get in each class. To see what level that corresponds to for each class see here:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts

For more info on triple classes in general, see here:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing#Triple_Class_Options

Also, no offence, but do you ever try to find this stuff on your own before you post here? I just ask because you start like 3 threads a day, and about half of them seem likes things you could find in about 2 minutes using Google.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Your better off with a fighter/thief or illusionist/thief IMHO, or a Bard if you don't need to use Find Traps.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I hate it in a full party, but they're quite powerful solo or in a small group. Fighter/Mage/Thief, at least. I don't understand the point of a F/M/C, a simple M/C would get drastically better spellcasting capabilities earlier and should be able to at least partially compensate for the loss of melee prowess through self-buffing.

I agree with @ZanathKariashi, if you want a versatile PC in a full party, try the bard instead. Sure, you'll need another thief, but you'll still get a good combination of fighting and spellcasting, with the ability to pickpocket and the unique bardsong ability. Blades, in particular, function like fighter/mages in BG1 with a touch of rogue.
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    TJ_Hooker said:

GaNoN said:

whats the max lvl u can reach on each class with the exp cap.

Divide the xp cap by 3 to see how much you can get in each class. To see what level that corresponds to for each class see here:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts

For more info on triple classes in general, see here:
    http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing#Triple_Class_Options

Also, no offence, but do you ever try to find this stuff on your own before you post here? I just ask because you start like 3 threads a day, and about half of them seem likes things you could find in about 2 minutes using Google.

Some stuff i find is from old BG1 games, and i assume some of the info is not 100% correct or outdated, thats why i ask in BG:EE forums really.
    @GaNoN, typically anything you read online that's accurate as of the TotSC expansion is still accurate, including XP tables. The current 161k xp cap, for example, is from TotSC and still holds true (though not in the Black Pits).
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited February 2013
    I am currently playing a fighter/mage/thief (ok, I cheated with shadowkeeper a little and he is a (fighter/wildmage/thief)

I think they are cool. They do suck up xp. I would recommend the xp cap remover if you play with one.

Remember that thieves as a fighter you are limited to two pips and that hp gained slows after lvl 10, no more mega benefits gained after apart from the odd pip every 3 levels.

A thief gets the x5 backstab multiplier after lvl 13, again after that it's just points for skills...

Okay... You will never chuck those level 9 spells as you will need to be a lvl 18 mage to sling em... BUT you will get the most out of those touch/melee spells that a normal wizard will be too squishy too use...

Being ridiculously high in one class is not all that great. Duals and multis spread the love across the classes...
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    Madhax said:

@GaNoN, typically anything you read online that's accurate as of the TotSC expansion is still accurate, including XP tables. The current 161k xp cap, for example, is from TotSC and still holds true (though not in the Black Pits).

Btw do ppl normally remove the XP cap? or its lame to do so?

Yeah, it's worth noting that a F/M/T will never reach level 9 spells, even at the end of ToB. This is why I, personally, prefer to do 2-class multiclasses. A Fighter/Mage, for example, will get to level 9 spells eventually.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The only change I'm aware of is that they removed the Root of the Problem (Club +1, +3 vs unnatural (the only blunt weapon with silver/Cold Iron flags)) for some reason. And changed a couple mechanics around. Animate Dead summons 1 level scaled skeleton warrior per cast instead of a bunch of 1 HD skeletons (net gain overall, since the skeleton warrior is a decent glass cannon and mage killer). (Both effects are technically correct for PnP, since you could raise a bunch of lower HD or fewer stronger HD as part of the spell, depending on your choice and bodies available).

And there's several new weapons, and NPCs, but nothing that really changes the core experience too awful much (spawn rates are a bit off, and lower then they should be, but not badly so)
    GaNoN said:

Madhax said:

I think it's spoils the game, but others have different opinions
    Yeah...the game isn't really balanced for higher levels...nor is it balanced for a power-gamed character, and doing either trivializes a lot of the content, and doing both will bore you absolutely to death.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I would only remove the XP cap after you have played through a few times. You will then have enough experience with the game to see the difference in balance and decide whether that is something you want to do.

I personally remove the cap and then either level up or don't level up past 160K depending on my want for the game. By not leveling up, I can still carry the XP forward into BG2 but not affect BG1 balance.

Yeah...the game isn't really balanced for higher levels...nor is it balanced for a power-gamed character, and doing either trivializes a lot of the content, and doing both will bore you absolutely to death.

I've only relatively recently realised that it's actually more fun to play with a character who doesn't have 18s in most attributes, and isn't necessarily a power-gaming class, you have to think much more about what spells/equipment/tactics to use the make the best of your character. Not that I deliberately nerf a character, but I usually limit myself to 10 or at most 20 rolls on character creation.

In my most recent active game I'm playing a duo run (Safana is my only NPC) with a neutral evil Jester (considered by many to be a weak kit) with relatively modest starting stats (15/18/15/15/7/15) and it's turning out to be a really fun game. You actually have to *think* before acting.
    GaNoN said:

Madhax said:

There's good reasons for it (called "balance"!). I wouldn't modify anything on a first play through. Later on, well it's always up to you. I get rid of it, but the way I play (with a full party) it only makes a small difference, because there just isn't that much more experience to be had. But I happen to like that small difference of a few thousand extra XP at the end of the game.
    edited February 2013
    GaNoN said:

Madhax said:

In my experience the xp cap in SoA and ToB is fine, it is a challenge to reach it!

The xp cap in BG1 with TotSC however is very reachable, even with a f/m/t and a full team if you do every quest and wander the maps day and night for a battle or two... (I hunt out vampiric wolves due to an issue arising in my CHARNAMEs back story...)

The main problem with using th xp cap remover is that it makes the beginning of SoA easier. After that the gaps between the levels rise so exponentially, they basically diffuse the problem of too much xp at the start quite quickly.

I assure you that you will still die horrible grisly deaths in BG2:EE with the xp cap removed... Just don't expect to die in Jon Irunickerlesse's dungeon as often...

On the flipside... I could just be a crap player, and perhaps core difficulty is not for me.

Do what you think you will be happy with. Normally I detest cheating in my BG games. The xp cap and changing my f/m/t to a f/wildmage/t are the only changes I have or will make to my game.

To be honest, and now I am taking an opportunity to air my problems, part of me still feels bad about the wildmage bit... I have however, no regrets over the xp cap remover... Remember in a real PnP game would your dungeon master say "No more xp for you, you got enough already..."

Edit: @AHF Oh crud... That WORKS! You are making me think all kinds of ideas... That may be a better way. On the other hand, why suddenly gain lots of levels in a dungeon at the start of BG2. You will miss out playing your character at a certain level.
    Anduin said:

Edit: @AHF Oh crud... That WORKS! You are making me think all kinds of ideas... That may be a better way. On the other hand, why suddenly gain lots of levels in a dungeon at the start of BG2. You will miss out playing your character at a certain level.

I ran a F/M/C solo through BG:EE (did all of TOSC as well) and ended up with 301K in each class. That is level 9 F/ 10 M/ 9 C. Without leveling up, that stops at levels 6 / 6 / 6. So that is a big jump but I have played the game enough that it isn't a big loss for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited February 2013
    I like them in small groups, otherwise the experience allocation...can get ugly. Especially if you have a few more multi-class characters present. Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User is my favorite, especially with mods that lift the weapon restrictions. Just not with, say, Quayle and Yeslick also in the group.
    Again, experience is split three ways, and so are hit points rolled. Hope you've got a decent Constitution! Otherwise, enjoy. :D!
    Yeah, I'd like to see at least an option to use the original SoA class caps (rather then xp caps, so any xp you earn will still be available for use in ToB) for BG2:EE for SoA.

Though even just enforcing the old xp cap wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to me. Raising the cap for TotSC didn't alter BG much in any meaningful way since it only added another 1-2 levels. But the level cap ToB adds to BG2 dramatically alters the game
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @ZanathKariashi - you can edit the same files that people edit to remove the cap to limit it as well
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    Anduin said:

I assure you that you will still die horrible grisly deaths in BG2:EE with the xp cap removed... Just don't expect to die in Jon Irunickerlesse's dungeon as often...

On the flipside... I could just be a crap player, and perhaps core difficulty is not for me.

I consider myself an atrocious player, as I always play on "normal difficulty" and still die occasionally.
    However (and maybe this is because of my low difficulty level) I have never died in Ironicus (whoops Irenicus) dungeon...is that a common thing?

Yeah, I'd like to see at least an option to use the original SoA class caps (rather then xp caps, so any xp you earn will still be available for use in ToB) for BG2:EE for SoA.

The original SoA cap is beyond any XP you can earn in BG:EE (even solo) without abusive farming so it really doesn't make a difference if you follow SirK8's suggestion and cap the XP or you just remove the limit entirely.
    toanwrath said:

Anduin said:

I consider myself an atrocious player, as I always play on "normal difficulty" and still die occasionally.
    However (and maybe this is because of my low difficulty level) I have never died in Ironicus (whoops Irenicus) dungeon...is that a common thing?
    Everyone dies occasionally, bad luck is part of the game.

I also have never found Irenicus' dungeon very difficult. But there are popular mods out there that make every battle a ferociously hard epic challenge. So yeah, I've seen a non-canon version of that dungeon that's very difficult.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    I've never had a problem with dying in Irenicus' dungeon. Mind you, I hit pause and drop my gear before it 's taken from me, so that may have something to do with it :)
    edited February 2013
    @toanwrath Because BG has such an infinite amount of replay ability, it does attract an enthusiasm, not all bad may I add, to make the game more challenging.

I may be in the minority, but I like the slider. Normal and core rules is all you need. I always use core rules but have in the past used core rules but slid to normal on level up to get full hp, tweaking the difficulty slightly.

I really enjoy SCS a mod that gives lots of tweaks. It allows you to make the game as damn hard or easy as you like :)

Edit: went off on a tangent... Answering your question. I do die in that first dungeon, but only because I like to take on golems with my mages bare hands...
    Post edited by Anduin on