Skip to content

Why are there so many bears!?

NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
edited April 2013 in Not An Issue
I'm not entirely sure if this is a real bug, but it didn't happen before the latest patch, so...

Scenario: I would be wandering around the woodsy-areas doing my usual exploring thing when all of a sudden four or five bears appear in one concentrated area.

Expected behavior: I always thought the bears of Baldur's Gate were more of a loner-type animal than gathering in giant groups of five. Occasionally I had seen two bears together, but never more than that. At first I thought it might be a part of the monster-spawning-too-soon issue, but it only happens with bears!

It's happened with black bears and brown bears. I don't remember cave bears being the same way, but I might just be getting them mixed up with the brown bears.

I suppose all else fails I could just slaughter them for experience, but... I don't know, five bears is a lot for one party to handle at my levels. I usually just go around them, and in a couple instances, they don't reappear after a reload.
Post edited by Aedan on
CrevsDaak

Comments

• DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    I think it's a scaling thing. I've noticed as your characters move up in levels, the number of respawning creatures you encounter seems to increase.
    TJ_Hooker
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Didn't you know that bears hunt in packs?
    [Deleted User]
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Dalryk said:

I think it's a scaling thing. I've noticed as your characters move up in levels, the number of respawning creatures you encounter seems to increase.

I guess that makes sense. Still, having five random black bears pop up out of nowhere is pretty terrifying. o_o;;

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    moopy said:

The question is...

are they WEREBEARS?

I hope not. I barely managed the WEREWOLVES. D:

• forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31

Dalryk said:

I guess that makes sense. Still, having five random black bears pop up out of nowhere is pretty terrifying. o_o;;
    Does Baldur's Gate actually use any kind of scaling?
    I've never really noticed any obvious level-dependent spawning of monsters.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Moopy - This is the only reason I clicked on this thread. Thank you.
    moopy said:

The question is...

are they WEREBEARS?

• XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I think that Bears were one of the races that Bhaal chose to propagate with, and some of them are Bhaalspawns, that's totally why they're after us, I just KNOW IT
    Elrandir
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @moopy
    Powerful though werebears may be, let's avoid overloading the forums with them. The bugs forum isn't a place to propagate one's memes.
    CrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • 23dutch45man23dutch45man Member Posts: 11
    I have recently played the original Baldur's Gate without mods and I have seen large groups of bears (4-8) common, in the areas close to the Bandit Camp, so I believe it's not a bug.
    CrevsDaak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    It may seem odd but this is not a bug. It was like this in the original. Sure, in real life bears do not line up in neat little rows and randomly wander up to people and then get angry that the people are too close to them (9_9), but then again there are also no wolves that spit ice balls at us in real life either. I say this is not an issue.

Fun fact from Tresset the animal savant: There are some real life bears (grizzly bears I think) that do live in a sort of loose pack like group. Of course most bears are loners (probably even most grizzly bears) but they do sometimes form groups.
    [Deleted User]
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Moved to Not An Issue.
    [Deleted User]