Skip to content

I discovered a new hillarious cult called L.A.R.P

kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjj3b1mcjpE check this video out. I can not believe people dress up like trolls and things and go beyond reality. Its almost crazy talk but it made me laugh so hard how ridiculous people are.

Anyway love to hear some feedback on the hilarity of this thing I found.

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Hey, if you're going to roleplay an Elf or an Orc, might as well go all the way, right?
  • iam1iam1 Member Posts: 43
    I certainly don't consider myself that.. uh... "hardcore"...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2013
    @kingthrall

Live and let be? I know some people that if you tell them that you play RPGs, they would tell you "lol, neeeerd!!1111Real men play Counter-Strike and Call of Duty."

That's literally, Live Action Role Playing. It's roleplaying AND acting. Not that I'm into it but there more ridiculous things in this world, I think.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    scriver said:

I always found computer nerds trying to make fun of larpers to be even more ridiculous.

Hahaha. We're all nerds at the end of the day ;)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    new?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

new?

I was under the impression that L.A.R.P. was around for donkey's years.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    What's worse is when you get a "role-player" (which is what many LARPers insist on calling themselves these days) at a tabletop game, who demands that everyone speak "in character" in Ye Olde Englishe, and denounces anything other than this method of play as "roll-playing." ("Roll-playing," of course, being a term used by amateur theatre rejects to feel better about their bad acting)
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Dr_Atomic
    If anyone is silly (to avoid using something more offensive) enough to tell me that I "have" to speak in Ye Olde Englishe in a DnD, Forgotten Realms setting/campaign, I would ask them to point me to the sourceback that says that you have to speak like that. ;) Dwarves not counting.

By the way, I believe roll-playing means something else completely.

Roll-play means when instead of roleplaying your character or his response you say: "Come." *rolls 50 diplomacy*.
    Or "I tell the truth." *rolls 80 Bluff*.

Basically using only stats instead of trying to roleplay the response or persuasion.

Of course, that's mostly true for 3E+ games.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I guess I understand why someone would find Larping funny in one way or another (it's certainly not the "norm" to run around swinging a sword with elf ears in the middle of a park), but to me, laughing at them is even more silly of a notion. After all, once upon a time, I'm sure many of us played a certain game of "pretend" when we were children. Remember those days when you and your siblings/best friends would pretend you were dinosaurs eating a bunch of people, or hunting for monsters in the woods, or battling against other samurai? Heck, even "playing house" could fit in this category. Larping is essentially the same thing, but for grown-ups, and waaaaay better props if done right.
    Drugar said:

Hey, if you're going to roleplay an Elf or an Orc, might as well go all the way, right?

^ And this.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    If anyone told me to affect an accent, I'd just use my fake Southern drawl and write it off as Foreign Accent Syndrome.

Me: *default Midwestern accent* "Alright, Urist says, 'Have you got any idea where your son might be?'."
    Larpandor: "You're doing it all wrong! Accents!"
    Me: :D *repeats with fake Southern drawl* :D:D?
    Larpandor: "DOING IT WRONG!"
    Me: "Oh, that's not nice. Urist has, uh...Foreign Accent Syndrome. Head injury. So instead of speaking Ham English, he speaks South'n English. Now, stop making fun of brain-damaged dwarves and let's help that farmer find his son! Or do you want me to whip out my Eastern European accent."

And then we would get into a fight, but the gods would be on my side because I was drinking mead at the table, and eating waffles dipped in mead. And then the person playing Larpandor the Elf would cry like a smelly elf-baby because they were drinking Mountain Dew or something.
    That reminds me, I had a half-elf in play-by-post games who used a Minnesota accent. I'd provide a link to the International Dialects of English Archive for players who wanted to know what her exotic accent sounded like.
  • kingthrallkingthrall Member Posts: 76
    Ok for the record I got nothing against people bashing each other with foam swords. I just think its funny instead of surfing or fencing like I do. I mean when I was under 10 I used to do similar things and sit on the ground pulling grass out. These people look like they are 20+ and doing the same thing.

Also I have this vision of an old couple walking quietly holding hands in the park and out of the bushes come 20 adults bashing each other in duels yelling heroic battle-cries wearing kilts and all kinds of fantasy materials.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Dr_Atomic, eou dw n't lyke olde Ænglisc?

That is a joke
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Also I have this vision of an old couple walking quietly holding hands in the park and out of the bushes come 20 adults bashing each other in duels yelling heroic battle-cries wearing kilts and all kinds of fantasy materials.

This is a thing that has happened, I am sure. Ephraim and Gladys are going for a walk in the park, hand in hand, reminiscing about the good old days...when all of a sudden, a bunch of humans and orcs start duking it out.
    What couldn't be improved with LARP?! Baby showers, surgeries, bake sales, drug busts, doggy day-cares...

But naw, to each their own, like you said. We're strange creatures.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Maybe I should just go to Pennsic this year...
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Have some friends who enjoy LARPing, never really cared for it myself though. I'm cool with roleplaying, not cool with running around all day in the sun wearing heavy faux-medieval gear.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    in the campaigns i've played in, all Drow speak w/ a French accent...BUT, it's assumed, not carried out, as none of us can do a passable French accent...
    the Drow that turned us on to the Drow/French connection was an archer named Jordan (said, of course w/ a bad French accent & an accent on the last syllable)
    TJ_Hooker said:

Ok for the record I got nothing against people bashing each other with foam swords. I just think its funny instead of surfing or fencing like I do.

Hey look, I discovered a new hillarious cult called fencing. I can not believe people dress up in full body pajamas with a colander for a mask and poke each other with sharp metal sticks. Its almost crazy talk but it made me laugh so hard how ridiculous people are.

Anyway love to hear some feedback on the hilarity of this thing I found.
    now your just being rude

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited February 2013

now your just being rude

Consider this:
    That kind of statement is exactly what you opened this thread with.

I'd say he was just following suit, insult for insult, only, you don't like it because his was directed at something you do rather than what someone else does.
    Nailed it.

And for the record, I have nothing against fencing. I was just trying to prove a point.
    TJ_Hooker said:

now your just being rude

Consider this:
    That kind of statement is exactly what you opened this thread with.

I'd say he was just following suit, insult for insult, only, you don't like it because his was directed at something you do rather than what someone else does.
    Nailed it.

And for the record, I have nothing against fencing. I was just trying to prove a point.
    Your point is lacking substance. Fencing is a international sport and the equipment serves a purpose of protecting the person.

Larping is obviously a hobby that you do with way too much time on your hands for fun. Unless you can win a gold medal in some championship for being the best dressed half-ogre.

As I said before Ive not even seen this before until recently and found it hilarious. I didnt say it was wrong and you took my O.P out of context. Besides I am all for having real life hot chicks as dryads in skimpy clothes who can charm me all day.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    With humour is the best way to push a point. It seems like you find fencing more validating as a hobby/sport than what these people do. To each their own.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited February 2013

"My way of dressing up in ridiculous clothes and playing with fake swords is better than your way of playing with fake swords!"
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    The larp videos are funny (as an outsider) but bringing up a "look at the crazy nerds" thread on what I consider a nerds' forum is bound to get some justifiably disgruntled reactions.
    scriver said:

"My way of dressing up in ridiculous clothes and playing with fake swords is better than your way of playing with fake swords!"
    Please... Id like to see my sword against yours and see how that blessing from the 40 year old cleric with a wig helped you get skewered.
    edited February 2013
    I can't tell if you are trolling really well back or unfortunately have some issues with being an elitist or too serious about yourself. :P

I'm not into that stuff at all, but people can do whatever the hell they want in my book, be it this or having sex with 3 other couples. Live and let live. Huzzah.
    no im just annoyed that a bunch of larping fanboys seem to be liking every comment against me. Tis to be expected for lesser beings do not possess the skill to wield true metal like I do.
    edited February 2013
    You got me. I'm also secretly known as Luke the luminous lute player. People who hear my songs are always confused for a few seconds, and then I whack 'em with a quick magic missile (red ball of yarn that my mother made for me). But at the end of the day I actually wish to be a master in the fine arts of fencing. But... Tis not to be. I am just a simple bard.
This discussion has been closed.