Skip to content

Deleting Saved Characters

MeekratMeekrat Member Posts: 31
I would like to be able to delete some of my saved characters, but haven't found any options or methods of doing so. Hence, it is a feature I would like.
vladpen

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I'm not sure what platform you're on, but if you're using a pc, your saved characters will be stored at:
    C:\Users\[You]\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\characters
    Just go there and delete them. As far as I know you can't delete the pre-made characters though.
    Meekrat
  • MeekratMeekrat Member Posts: 31
    ...that solves that, then. I had no idea everything was in different directories.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Bhaaldog the pre-made characters included with the game aren't located in the same directory as the ones you make. As far as I can tell, they're buried in the actual game files somewhere. I'm sure it's possible to get rid of them if you're determined, but I don't know how.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Just go there and delete them. As far as I know you can't delete the pre-made characters though.

I think they're located in a BIF file somewhere (don't know which one), as far as I know you can change them by saving a character of the same name to the override folder, but I have no idea what effect it would have if you tried to delete one.

A delete character/save game function might be something I'll include in the Keeper, though, I've always wanted a handy feature like that myself.

Implementing a feature like that in-game would nice, and shouldn't be difficult.

Edit: Done with Keeper.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The default characters are stored inside default.bif. I won't explain how to delete them for two reasons:

1) There's a potential risk of corrupting the game file and needing to use the launcher's repair function.

2) Whenever the game is updated they'll be back anyway.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    There should be such option in the game.

Also the game should ask you, if you want to do this, when you rewrite existing character.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This may seem like a silly question, but:

Why?

The files are stored in "Documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/characters". All you need to do is delete the .chr file (to delete the character) or rename the file to something else (to restore the pre-gen character).

I suppose it would be useful for iPad users, though, who don't have access to the file structure.
    Nifft
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It's more user friendly than having to come to these boards to learn what you just said. :)
    Melicamp
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    If we save over the 'stock' character files, will a future patch delete them since they were saved over?

Please '@Wiggles' me cause I forget to check back on my comments. Thanks.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Wiggles
    If the .chr file used to "overwrite" the default character file is in your override folder, it will be erased with the patch.

If it's in your characters folder (which is where exported character files go), it will be preserved.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    @Aosaw

Ok, thank you very much.
  • OrieOrie Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2013
    wow thank you this was an awesome solution to my problem
    '
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I agree with @Dee, this would be most useful for iPad (and presumably Android) users.
    Bestopher