Skip to content

Which Baldur's Gate 2 romance is your favorite... and why? *SPOILERS*

Comments

• IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I've heard the Kelsey romance is pretty great, though I've never played it. I'm presuming it's better than the Anomen romance, which I liked for its character development, and CN Anomen was pretty interesting by ToB, but the romance had some problems that basically everyone has noted. I'm hoping Dorn eclipses them both in BG2:EE.

I guess with Anomen were still learning how to write romances with guys....
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I don't understand why Anomen is so messed up. There is no difference in writing a boy meets girl story.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    My first PC in BG2 was female. I finished the game and didn't even realise it even *had* romance options in it. I think I might have killed Anomen, thinking about it. I was Chaotic Good too... Greater good, maybe?
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I've sold Aerie to local KFC.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Kirkor said:

Kuldahar Forrest Clinic?
    Kelevmor's Fiend Cleansers?
    Kossuth's Fire Clerics?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited February 2013
    Kirkor said:

Are you making some comment about her personality? or something about her freshness?
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    You guys are silly. ^^

Yes, Kelsey... I've never tried his romance either but I remember using one of his portraits for one of my older CHARNAMEs. Maybe I should give his romance a roll?
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Sniiiimon said:

You guys are silly. ^^

Indeed. Even with their magically/genetically engineered wings, Avariel are still mammals and primates so would taste like pork, most likely. Same as human. I won't explain how I know that, so don't ask.

In the meantime, I'm going to reinstall the game today and then find lots of nice things to say about Anomen.

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited February 2013
    It's very hard to pick one that I prefer, because I love all three Viconia, Jaheira and Aerie romances, but for different reasons.

Aerie was the first romance I tried, and I found it to be great : She's a fragile girl, with a good heart, and there's a lot to like in the way she's behaving. She can be a bit whiny, but since I was quite young (and inexperienced, heh !) at the time I romanced her for the first time (I was about 17 years old back then in 2000 !), I actually really cared about her.

Viconia was the second romance I tried, and one of the best things about it is the fact that it gives you basically two romances : One Evil, and one Good where you redeem her. There's also a lot to like about her character, and the way she refuses to give in, falling in love beeing some kind of weakness for a drow. Piercing that hard shell, and reaching out her feelings is a great feeling when you get to play her romance.

Jaheira is, to me, probably the most interesting character, and the latest romance I tried. Her dialogs and the way you interact with her is just great all around. While authoritative, she's a great support, and her voiced lines, the way you get to know more about her and the inner torments that she's trying to hide from you make her the most plausible character to me, if you don't think too much about k...k...kha...khalid.
    That guy was a pansy, I'm sure that dirty, dirty MILF was already fantasming about your rugged bhaalspawn look back then when you first met her at the FAI.
    That, and she probably got sick of hearing "BETTER PART OF VALOR ! BETTER PART OF VALOR !"

Anomen, I tried his romance once, but couldn't really like his character. Beeing a male myself, I had some trouble with his "I'm insecure, so I'll just boast until you give in, oh oops, looks like you figured me out, hey, here's some flowers" but I can understand why some would find him interesting to romance.
    Post edited by Aranthys on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Aranthys said:

k...k...kha...khalid.
    That guy was a pansy, I'm sure that dirty, dirty MILF was already fantasming about your rugged bhaalspawn look back then when you first met her at the FAI.
    That, and she probably got sick of hearing "BETTER PART OF VALOR ! BETTER PART OF VALOR !"

I've been saying pretty much this same thing for years whenever people bring up the nonsense of Jaheira's romance being "too fast" or the like.
    Aranthys said:

I had some trouble with his "I'm insecure, so I'll just boast until you give in, oh oops, looks like you figured me out, hey, here's some flowers" but I can understand why some would find him interesting to romance.

Please! Shed some light on why someone might find it interesting! We're all at a loss here! ;)
    I think Anomen's interesting because he pretty much has the most character development of any character in the franchise.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited February 2013
    I haven't tried the Anomen romance myself (going to eventually), but from what I've read on the forums, as a female player, the comment of "I find it hard to believe a woman was capable of such heroic deeds" or whatever would be an extreme turn-off... Heck, probably any sensible person, male or female, would find that comment extremely insulting either way.

(That, and I dislike arrogant boasters in general.)

Though, depending on your roleplay, I can see how he'd be viable. Maybe your female Charname is so fed up with his boasting and his sexism that she just HAS to take the time to prove herself, if only to see the dumbstruck look on his face when you do something completely worthwhile that he could never hope to accomplish. At least, that's my plan on tolerating him. >_>;;
    That last paragraph doesn't sound very romantic. I can see it as a reason to take him along, but doesn't a romance require... umm, romantic feelings? It's not the same situation as with Viconia - trying to get through her tough shell. In her case, I can see how someone would take it as a challenge, but what I read about Anomen doesn't sound like a shell. It sounds like he's simply an egomanic jerk, not someone who doesn't like to show his weakness. Unless you interpret his comments as nagging from an insecure guy who went to a pick up artist for lessons, and female charname decides to put up with his shit in the sense of a pity date.
    There's a reason that people will often tell folks who constantly bicker to "just fuck already," KidCarnival. :P
    But that would require a female *willing* to fuck Anomen already. He's certainly a jerk, but I can't see him as a rapist.
    Well, they certainly do exist. Female Anomen supporters, I mean. Being a straight male, I can't speak to my desire to bed him, but I do like him as a character.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    Faren, a custom NPC mod. He was written so well, I didn't care he was a guy: of all the romanecable NPC's, he seems the most human.
    Hm, this poll doesn't look like there are *any* Anomen supporters. I rarely take him along since I mostly play evil, so I can't say much about his character from first hand experience.

That last paragraph doesn't sound very romantic. I can see it as a reason to take him along, but doesn't a romance require... umm, romantic feelings? It's not the same situation as with Viconia - trying to get through her tough shell. In her case, I can see how someone would take it as a challenge, but what I read about Anomen doesn't sound like a shell. It sounds like he's simply an egomanic jerk, not someone who doesn't like to show his weakness. Unless you interpret his comments as nagging from an insecure guy who went to a pick up artist for lessons, and female charname decides to put up with his shit in the sense of a pity date.

I suppose that's true, but just because it's considered a "romance" campaign doesn't mean there has to be romantic feelings from the very start. I think it'd be more likely that a female charname would start out as a friend of his, putting up with his ego splurges because she's just too stubborn or proud to let him go unchecked. But as time goes on, and we learn more and more about Anomen, do his quest, and (depending on whether or not he fails or succeeds to become a knight) he reveals the light of his true character underneath all of that gloating, it's very possible for a female charname to develop some feelings for him.

As some people have said on here, Anomen does go through a lot of development, but you have to be a little patient with his attitude before you finally see the good in him. The above idea was just some Roleplaying reasons for why my particular character would keep him around instead of kicking him to the curb. :P She's gonna be a pretty proud dwarf, so... XD
    Uh, @Nonnahswriter, I believe dwarfs can't actually romance Anomen. Heck, if I remember correctly, dwarfs can't romance anyone.

Sniiiimon said:

Uh, @Nonnahswriter, I believe dwarfs can't actually romance Anomen. Heck, if I remember correctly, dwarfs can't romance anyone.

What!? Really??? That's just depressing!!! TT_TT

...Well, I learned something new today. Thanks for informing me!
    No problem, @Nonnahswriter. :) But dwarfs might be able romance Rasaad, Neera and Dorn in both BG:EE and BG2:EE... I have no clue what kind of race restrictions they have, if any.

Speaking of race restrictions, maybe Overhaul will change them in BG2:EE? Everyone deserves some lovin'!
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Dwarves can only romance ale.
    I think Dorn has no restrictions at all, Neera only romances male charnames, and Rasaad only good-aligned female charnames. He might be an option for a good female dwarf, but I'm not sure.
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    Jaheira, because her romance is more interesting and realistic than cliché "Hot'n'Cold" blower (no disrespect for Viconia's fans) and annoying cry-baby. Also, this romance is intertwined with various quests, including the big Harper plot, which has nifty rewards on its own. And all in all, imho, it is more plot relevant to protagonist's story and people he is involved with.
  • forbjokforbjok Member Posts: 31
    I've only done the Aerie and Jaheira romances as far as I recall, and out of them I'd say Aerie.
    It kind of sucked that the selection of romanceable characters is so limited. It would have been nice to be able to romance Imoen and Nalia. Maybe even Mazzy.

Maybe I'll try Viconia next time I play through the game.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Jaheira, because to me she is the most mature and complete character of the three romanceable ladies.
    The option to romance Imoen would be so... Theon Greyjoyish. No thanks.
    Yeah I wouldn't want to date my little sister either. I mean, sure, she's adorable... but she's your little sister. Case closed.