Skip to content

Which Baldur's Gate 2 romance is your favorite... and why? *SPOILERS*

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Aerie: Play therapist/ego fluffer to sad little elf girl where you tell her exactly what she wants to hear.
    Jaheira: Play Oedipal fantasy/rebound to cranky elf girl with a shaky grasp of "appropriate period of mourning" where you tell her exactly what she wants to hear.
    Viconia: Play morality pet/sub to evil elf girl where you tell her exactly what she wants to hear.
    Anomen: Play keeper to a wannabe Paladin with daddy issues and a misogynistic attitude completely at odds with actual lore.

I choose option D: Play all of the girls together in the same party and watch the sparks fly for my own dread amusement, then stick with Aerie because she could take the lot of them in a straight up fight.
    And set Anomen on fire.

Outside of Bioware's "romances", I'd probably go with Tyris Flare, though it's been awhile since I last played it I vaguely remember it being low drama with some reasonably entertaining interactions that were appropriate to a non-adolescent relationship, an accusation I couldn't hope to level at any of the core romances. Neera appears promisingly devoid of "shape your personality around me" tendencies, so I await with interest how she turns out in BGIIEE.
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    I've slowly moved to prefering Aerie over Jaheira. I like the way she changes over the course of the romance from someone who constantly needs reinforcement to a person able of standing on her own. (Now I just have to drag out ToB long enough to get the baby to arrive...)

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Jaheria because you get a pin.

I like pins...
  • CalvinandhobbesCalvinandhobbes Member Posts: 14
    Eh, it's kind've a shame Anomen gets so much flack. I think he's an interesting character, and I liked how developed over the course of the game.

But he was an AWFUL choice as a romantic option. In so, so many ways. I would've preferred it if he weren't one at all--I think that would've made me like him as a character a little bit better. Or maybe I'm just bitter female PCs got stuck with him (would've loved to have, say, Haer'dalis instead).

I am fond of Kulyok's Xan mod though. :D
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I have to admit that I have no idea why they chose to stick with the Anomen romance over, say, Haer'Dalis. Maybe it was just the most complete at that point? 'Pretty-Boy Tiefling' just seems like a more logical choice than 'Misogynistic Pseudo-Paladin' when you're selecting a single character for female players to romance. At least to me, but then I always liked Haer'Dalis.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Maybe they wanted to avoid the obvious. Bards with their poetry and stuff are kinda obvious.
  • AquafluteAquaflute Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2013
    Sister or no, wrong or right, my PC is always in love with Imoen. That's just how I interpret their relationship and the game feels more engaging that way. And don't tell me it's wrong etc, there are far worse things you can do in this game. I've never had a sibling in real life so it doesn't feel so weird to me. And my PC always give up the essence that made them siblings in the end anyway. Now I actually don't want Imoen as a romance option because IMO that is just way too difficult to be done right. So I'm happy with the canon stuff as it is. It is a very special and deep relationship regardless.

But I was very tempted by Viconia all the time to be honest. That voice, that portrait and that music really give me a chill every time her romance dialogue starts. I even give in to her and played through her romance once. Then I realized how much I hate her romance ending then decided to never romance her again. I still love Viconia and bring her along in every playthrough, but I just tell her I'm not interested the first chance I got.

I would MUCH prefer Jaheira's romance if it happens a bit later in the game (like chapter 3 or even 6), for obvious reasons. And it doesn't seem I'm missing out much by not romancing her as I still got her quests and many of her lines. I want to say I really dislike Aerie but truth is I've never tried her yet. I did romance Anomen once with a female PC and as much as I actually don't feel bothered by his personality, I could NOT stand how his questline ends, because by the end I feel thirsty for blood yet the only option was to forgive. My PC has to be a perfect saint in order to do that, and yet I hate being a perfect saint!

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I have to admit that I have no idea why they chose to stick with the Anomen romance over, say, Haer'Dalis. Maybe it was just the most complete at that point? 'Pretty-Boy Tiefling' just seems like a more logical choice than 'Misogynistic Pseudo-Paladin' when you're selecting a single character for female players to romance. At least to me, but then I always liked Haer'Dalis.

I haven't done Anomen's romance, as I have yet to make a female CHARNAME I could stick with, but he is a cool NPC. I think the devs imagined the Anomen romance would be more rewarding because Haer'Dalis would court you the same way he does Aerie, but Anomen is kind of a jerk and you need to get past that to hook up with him. Really, Anomen is kind of a male Viconia, in that he has this serious personality flaw engendered by his past that gets in the way of any kind of stable relationship.
  • dreambleddreambled Member Posts: 48
    Vic, hands down for me. I think she has the best romance in a BioWare game period.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I like Aerie, I'm a sucker for elves. Viconia is good also but she's a bit too dark for my personal tastes.

I haven't done Anomen's romance, as I have yet to make a female CHARNAME I could stick with, but he is a cool NPC. I think the devs imagined the Anomen romance would be more rewarding because Haer'Dalis would court you the same way he does Aerie, but Anomen is kind of a jerk and you need to get past that to hook up with him. Really, Anomen is kind of a male Viconia, in that he has this serious personality flaw engendered by his past that gets in the way of any kind of stable relationship.
    Hmmm. Valid points. I've just never been too fond of Anomen as a character, despite his development I can never really stomach having him in the party too much. I guess I find his personality flaws more difficult to deal with than Viconia's? Dammit, now I'm going to have to go and analyse my personal motives vis-a-vis characters.

• jimkayjimkay Member Posts: 10
    Anybody else think it's weird that all 4 of the Bioware romances fill the healer role in the party?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,165
    jimkay said:

Anybody else think it's weird that all 4 of the Bioware romances fill the healer role in the party?

I think that was deliberate. It makes it easier to only keep one of them if you want, and it makes it most likely you WILL have one or more of them in your party.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    This explains my priest's bromance with dualed Xzar.
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    jimkay said:

Now that you mention it...

But hey, at least everyone's noticed that all of the romances for straight male CHARNAMES are all elven - especially with Neera. So there's that.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Fenghoang
    That always bothered me. I love Viconia and Jaheira, but I would also like some human, dwarf, and half-orc ladies.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I found Viconia the most interesting in terms of character and story. Also, she was much less whiney than the other two females. I've never played through an Anomen romance. He's a bit much to put up with at times while you're not romancing him. lol
    Reading about the Anomen romance, I almost want to try it myself. Does he romance any alignment or just good/neutral? I see an evil, brutish carnation of Brianne of Tarth on the horizon...
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Wow NO ONE liked Anomen's Romance? LMAOOOOOO
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    Xavioria said:

Wow NO ONE liked Anomen's Romance? LMAOOOOOO

You are officially the outcast. BURN THE DROW... wait...

Looks like Anomen finally got his pity date. That's very sweet of you. ;)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

'Pretty-Boy Tiefling' just seems like a more logical choice than 'Misogynistic Pseudo-Paladin' when you're selecting a single character for female players to romance.

Chicks dig pushy, shouty, misogynistic poseurs.

Much better than some suave, exotic flatterer with a nice voice.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Aerie. Cuz she's so sweet and innocent.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    Awww man, poor Anomen. Now I have to play through his romance as well. He needs some lovin'.

So how do you guys feel about the new romances? That is to say, Dorn, Neera and Rasaad? I kinda like all three so far but for obviously very different reasons. Can't wait to se how they turn up in BG2:EE.
    I actually kind of like that Dorn's seems to be shaping up to be somewhat about the issue of trust, at least as I have read it. He might be an evil, homicidal blackguard, but one of his main attributes seems to be an obsession with trust: he is hunting his former companions primarily because he trusted them and they betrayed that trust, they pretended to be his friends but were not. One of the reasons he gives for joining you is because you seem like someone whom he can competently fight alongside, and the basis for the relationship so far seems to be based around a certain acceptance of and reliance upon one another, both as battle companions and even as friends, and later possibly lovers.

One of the reasons I find Dorn interesting is that it seems like they might be exploring/subverting the whole issue with evil characters not being able to feel things like camaraderie.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I didn't like the start of Anomen's romance. Toward the middle and end though, I found it very rewarding. He was somewhat of a needy male (figures) but I guess that is kind of what he had to be so that the PC who was female could grab the reins of the relationship. And no offense to females nowadays, but most of the ones I know are out there taking care of their men instead of the other way around... which is sad. Anomen can at least get some of the job done.

It sucks that he's a bit powergamey because you can't go chaotic neutral with him and end up with a decent romance, but he is a sweetheart at the core. I think perhaps alot of jerkish guys can be when someone finally penetrates whatever it is that the jerk is using as a buffer. I find Anomen to be extremely real and well written in terms of romance. Yea he starts off pompous, but guess what, it's kinda how alot of men are........ the one's I've met anyways
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    Viconia, always appealed to me, even as a good character. She took the most role playing to make it work, and her rather straight forward manner just set well with me. Jaheira I liked quite a bit as well, Aerie just irritated me with all of her damned whining about her wings.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2013
    i always wanted a mazzy option for shorty characters

I actualy like all the options besides anomen who i just dont even like enough to keep in the party

of the new ones ive only seen neeras and i liked it well enough i couldnt get rasads to trigger for some rason and i have no interest in Dorns
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    element said:

i always wanted a mazzy option for shorty characters

Mazzy would have been a interesting romance , sort of like Jaheira's since both had lost loved ones
    Jaheira lost Kalid and Mazzy lost her Patrick. BG2 needs a " shorty " only romance option