Skip to content

OSX Stand-alone Launcher issues

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited February 2013
    @Kampri - try 4) in the OP.

Support is available from support@beamdog.com, which is in fact Trent & Co.
    @BenN - Did you move the BGEE app out of the Game Data folder? You can move the launcher, but the launcher needs to know where to find the app.
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    Cerevant said:

@BenN - Did you move the BGEE app out of the Game Data folder? You can move the launcher, but the launcher needs to know where to find the app.

Yeah, I found out that that was the cause.

I had moved the entire 'Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition' folder to another location (inside another folder), so when I tried the launcher, it started downloading a whole new 'Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition' folder in the original location.

All now fixed.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @BenN If you want to move the game there is an option for that in the Launcher menu.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Cerevant said:

@Kampri - try 4) in the OP.

Support is available from support@beamdog.com, which is in fact Trent & Co.

Actually, technically support is me. But I've got access to everyone if needed, so yeah.

Thanks to everyone for their patience; I took eight hours off to sleep, but I'm back at my desk now.
  • Silver95Silver95 Member Posts: 1
    Still stuck at 1.3G out of 1.8G downloaded, been going all day at 1.5KB/s. Nothing seems to make it faster, including turning off firewalls etc... Anyone got any ideas?
  • LordOdesseironLordOdesseiron Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2013
    2) After logging in to the launcher, the screen says "Downloading..." but makes no progress.
    Solution: The OSX Launcher uses http and peer-to-peer to download your game. It is possible that a firewall, proxy or other download blocker is interfering with your download. (under investigation)

Am having the same problem, but not seeing any firewalls, proxies or otherwise. No download movement at all. Any suggestions?
    @LordOdesseiron - are you downloading from home, or at school/work/public place? How is your computer connected to the internet? Does your ISP block P2P connections?
  • LordOdesseironLordOdesseiron Member Posts: 11
    I think I figured out the issue. i switched networks and it worked. When it says downloading it actually is downloading, but it just goes so slowly that the launcher will not bother to tell you the rate. I figured this out because when I was in the process of switching networks it started gradually upping the download rate. When i switched back to the bad network it began decreasing (to like 1 bit per second= 2 years) before it just went to downloading. I was using a more private internet connection, but the public one at my school was the one that ended up working.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    I'm looking for some people behind proxies to test an update for me. If you would like to test it, can you send me a message?
  • Dansw707Dansw707 Member Posts: 7
    Im having an issue where when i try to start the game the screen turns white and i have to hold cmd+option+esc to get out of it. Admittedly the game worked fine and i released i did something stupid so i downloaded nearinfinity to try and correct the mistake. After saving my changes it started going white screen. I have deleted the folder in my applications folder and the one in my documents folder twice and reinstalled to no avail.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63b)
    Also im noticing that i don't have a 0766.fastresume but a 777.fastresume
    @Dansw707,

Sorry about the file names - that was my error.

Just to clarify, I'm assuming it is the launcher that is having trouble? Or is it the game itself? You can tell if when you start the app, do you get a screen with a Launch button, or does it white screen right away?

If you get the white screen right away, try deleting the plist file as in #3 in the OP and restarting the launcher. If that doesn't work, you can try to run the game directly by going into the Game Data/00777 folder and running the BGEE app that is there. (If that works, we still need to figure out what is wrong with your launcher, but at least you will be able to play the game)
    Sorry, i just realized this is a launcher thread. The launcher works fine its when i start the game that the screen goes white. Also i did try to do #3 before my reinstalls but i could not find the com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist file to delete.
    @Dansw707 - can you launch a terminal window and copy & paste the following command:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.overhaulgames.bgee installer.plist
    Last login: Wed Feb 27 14:46:04 on console
    Daniel-Williamss-Mac-Pro:~ DanielWilliams$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plistinstaller.plist
    rm: /Users/DanielWilliams/Library/Preferences/com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plistinstaller.plist: No such file or directory
    Daniel-Williamss-Mac-Pro:~ DanielWilliams$
    Try it again, but delete the extra installer.plist off the end of the command (not sure why that happened, same thing happened to me)
    Last login: Wed Feb 27 15:31:09 on ttys000
    Daniel-Williamss-Mac-Pro:~ DanielWilliams$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.overhaulgames.bgee
    rm: /Users/DanielWilliams/Library/Preferences/com.overhaulgames.bgee: No such file or directory
    Daniel-Williamss-Mac-Pro:~ DanielWilliams$
    one more time...(thanks for your patience)

it should look like this after you paste:
    Daniel-Williamss-Mac-Pro:~ DanielWilliams$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist

Notice in the post above, everything after the bgee was repeated twice.
    I'm getting the same result. I think the repeat is actually the second line describing the : no such file or directory
    Ok, new approach:

Download AppCleaner and run it. Click on "Applications", check off everything BGEE related, Click on Search, then Delete. Reinstall from scratch.
    Did that, still get the white screen.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    We've just pushed an update to the launcher with proxy server support.
  • thd990thd990 Member Posts: 4
    I'm having the same problem as Dansw707. Whenever I try to launch the game, I get a white screen and then it quits. Sometimes the main menu flashes for like a second before it quits. I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling the game, using the fixes described in the OP, restarting my computer, etc. Nothing works, the game will not run.
    Try pressing "Enter" when you see the white screen.

If that doesn't work, can you tell us your Mac model and OS version?

Thanks.
    Pressing Enter seems to have some effect - the main menu seems to show up somewhat more often, but it still quits immediately.

I am running OS 10.6.8. I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram.
    Can you try running it from the Terminal:
    /Applications/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition/Game\ Data/00777/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition.app

Is there anything output to the terminal when it quits? Does a crash report pop up?
    It still quits. There is no output to the terminal or crash report.
    Okay - submit a ticket to support@beamdog.com and we'll see if we can get some input from the engine guys.
    Already done, they haven't really said much. Their only advice was to make sure my system is up to date (it already was).