Skip to content

OSX Stand-alone Launcher issues

CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
edited February 2013 in Mac OS X (Archive)
Hello all,

If you are having any trouble with the Beamdog OSX stand-alone launcher for BGEE, please post to this thread. I'll try to keep this top post updated with known issues and resolutions.

System requirements: OSX 10.6.8 or later, Any Apple Hardware Compatible with OSX 10.6.8.

Currently, Beamdog is accepting pre-orders for BG:EE for OSX with preload in progress. The game will be available to play on February 22. For more details, see www.baldursgate.com.

1) Launcher crashes on startup
Solution: The entire "Baldur's Gate - Enhaced Edition" folder must be copied from the .dmg to the Applications folder. If you try to run the Launcher from the .dmg it will result in a crash (reported)

2) After logging in to the launcher, the screen says "Downloading..." but makes no progress.
Solution: Update your launcher application. Proxy support was added in Launcher version 1.1.13.
Note that the OSX Launcher uses http and peer-to-peer to download your game. It is possible that firewall or proxy restrictions are interfering with your download.

3) I'm unable to log in to the launcher.
Solution: make sure you are logging in with the e-mail address and password that you used when you purchased the game. If that doesn't work, try the following:
- Hold down the option key and choose Go/Library
- Open the preferences folder
- Delete com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist
- Restart the launcher

4) "You can't open the application "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported"
Solution: You download was corrupted. To fix this, do the following:
- Delete the launcher plist as described in #3 above
- Delete the 777.fastresume from the Game Data folder
- Right - click on the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" and choose "Show package contents"
- Under Contents/Mac OS deleted the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition executable
- Start the launcher and sign in

5) Launcher quits silently when "Launch" is pressed, without launching the game
Solution: Ensure that the Baldur's Gate Launcher application is in the same folder as the Game Data folder, then do the following:
- Delete the launcher plist as described in #3 above
- Delete the 777.fastresume from the Game Data folder
- Start the launcher and sign in
(under investigation)

Please list your hardware model and OSX version with your report, and attach or PM me your crash report if there is one.
Post edited by Cerevant on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Stickying this thread.
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    We currently do not support proxies, so I'll look into supporting that
  • DritoneDritone Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone put here direct link to Mac launcher?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    When you purchase the game, you should get an e-mail with a link to the launcher - is that not the case?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2013
    @Dritone, Go to the purchase page, log in (if you haven't already), and then click on the button marked "Install Now."

• comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    It was very confusing for me to find the launcher as well.
    @comatory - did you get an e-mail with a download link?

@Aosaw - can you send this up the food chain for someone to look at? I don't think the game/launcher bug tracker is the right place for this kind of issue.
  • JavierothJavieroth Member Posts: 5
    Is multilang (spanish) ?
    Yes. The game text is available in spanish, although I do not think there is spanish voice acting.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    I am having that issue where the launcher says it's downloading, but no progress is made. I'm doing it through my school's internet (I'm a boarder) so there is probably a proxy or firewall. Not sure how to circumvent it.
  • comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    Cerevant said:

@comatory - did you get an e-mail with a download link?

@Aosaw - can you send this up the food chain for someone to look at? I don't think the game/launcher bug tracker is the right place for this kind of issue.

no. it just took me a while to figure out where to get OS X install on Beamdog page. although I signed up for email notification, I never received one, I guess they'll be sent out once the preload is over.

you can download os x install file from Beamdog after you purchase the game, you must purchase OS X version specifically.
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    "2) After logging in to the launcher, the screen says "Downloading..." but makes no progress.
    Solution: The OSX Launcher uses http and peer-to-peer to download your game. It is possible that a firewall, proxy or other download blocker is interfering with your download. (under investigation)"

This is the case with my launcher. Is there any way I can view what proxies/firewalls are switched on on my computer and turn them off?
    This is typically not something that is on your computer, although you can try turning the Mac firewall off (system settings, security). Are you at school or work, or are you downloading from home?
  • dradamdradam Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2013
    I can't seem to log in to the launcher, every time I try, I get a pop up saying "invalid username or password" with an option to reset my password or retry the log in. I've tried reseting my password and it still doesn't work. Anyone have the same problem?

Edit: After trying again many times it suddenly worked, so yay! No idea why there was a problem though.
    Post edited by dradam on
    Try the following:
    1) Hold down the option key and choose Go/Library
    2) Open the preferences folder
    3) Delete com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist
    4) Restart the launcher
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for your reply. I've shut down all firewalls and such, and it appears to be downloading 'normally'. Only problem is, it's really crawling along at the moment (~3KB/s)! My computer is fairly fast, as is our internet connection, but it's apparently going to take 12 days to download! Do we know if Beamdog's servers are really rammed at the moment? I've restarted the launcher a few times now, and it's given me the same response each time. If I leave it over night (it's 21:50 here in the UK) are things likely to change?
    Thanks again in advance!
    @AvengerLynx - sounds like beamdog is getting hammered right now. Definitely let it run over night - I'd expect it to be done in the morning.
  • karabeekarabee Member Posts: 2
    when i start the downloader, the download starts normally, speed gets up, but then after 5 to 8 mb it slows fast down till i loose my internet connection and even (!) my wlan. only a reset gets it up again... whats that for a crap??? i payed and i just want to posses that game at least...

pls help...
    Can you try downloading over a wired connection? Sounds like something is funky with the wireless...
  • karabeekarabee Member Posts: 2
    no success. but its not just the wireless con but also the internet con at all. thats very creepy... how can the downloader crash my hardware?!
    Well, it could be the number of ports it opens or the range of ports, etc. Do you have a router between your computer and the cable/DSL modem? You might want to try a direct connection

Another possibility is that your ISP is cutting your connection because they think you are downloading movies, etc.
  • mdhmdh Member Posts: 3
    I pre-downloaded the game, and downloaded the last bit today, but when I press lauch, the launcher just quit and nothing happens. I tried to "repair install" which is successful but changes nothing. If i try to manually launch "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" I get the error message "You can't open the application "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported" I run os x 10.8.2 on a mbp 15-inch Early 2011. What to do?
    @mdh You shouldn't have any problem with your setup, and BGEE is definitely not a PPC binary - something must be corrupted. Try the following:
    1) Delete the launcher plist as described above
    2) Delete the 0766.fastresume from the Game Data folder
    3) Right - click on the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app" and choose "Show package contents"
    4) Under Contents/Mac OS deleted the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition executable
    5) Start the launcher and sign in

Let me know if that helps!
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    Just an update, I'm partially done adding proxy support, look for an update early next week that helps it out.
  • mdhmdh Member Posts: 3
    @Cerevant Thanks. I did as you said and the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition executable was downloaded by the launcher. I have the same problem when I launch from within the launcher, but i can start the game by clicking on the executable!
    @mdh is it possible that you moved or renamed any of the files/folders? Did you drag the BGEE app folder from the dmg containing the launcher?
  • KampriKampri Member Posts: 42
    I pre-loaded the other day and finished (after crawling to a completion) the rest of the download today. Now the launch icon has a line through it and the phrase,

"You can't open the application "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" because PowerPC application are no longer supported.

When I try and click on it.
    Are we getting support update from the beamdog or Trent and crew?
    I'm patient but understandably frustrated.
  • BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    I pre-loaded, and could successfully run the game on my Mac earlier today.

Just now, I added some portraits to the override folder, went to restart the game, and the launcher is forcing me to re-download all 1.8GB again.

Is this expected?

Also, I've done a search for the "com.overhaulgames.bgeeinstaller.plist" on my Mac, and there isn't one.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @BenN When you add any files to the game, the launcher will present you with two options. The one in the left will tell you your local copy has been modified and allow you to repair install. Beside it there's a Launch option that does just that, launches the game with your mods.

If you mod your game and an update is released, the left option will display Update Available instead.
  • Discord88Discord88 Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2013
    Hi guys,

I downloaded the game from beamdog, and the launcher won't recognize my password. I changed it twice, wrote it down very carefully to be sure I was typing it correctly, but it still says "invalid username or password" when I type it in. Anyone else having this problem?

My computer is a macbook 10.6.8

*EDIT* Whoops, nevermind, the question was answered in the beamdog forum - in case anybody else had this problem, you have to use your EMAIL as your username, not the username you use to log into the site. Confusing, but there you are.