Skip to content

PETITION - Mr *Spoiler* as a BG2EE Companion

neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
Support insanity!

Of the three certifiable companions from the original BG1 (Minsc, Xzar and Tiax) two are summarily executed in BG2. It just so happens both of them could be useful for Evil parties but, alignment aside, many people took one or both for the banter ...alas, Nasty Mr Necromancer and Mr Crazy Cyricist end up pushing daisies for no good reason (especially when you could haul their asses to a church or even raise them yourself)

And now we get a tantalizing taste of another insane (psychotic megalomaniac .. but no name calling ^_^) character.

If the dev tweets are to be believed, he may/might/will be making a comeback in BG2EE... but not necessarily as a companion. Now since we have had him as both an antagonist and a companion, just knowing he will be making an appearance doesn't reassure me. Especially as his role as an antagonist took precedence in BGEE. :) ... and, after all, Tiax made an appearance and then poofed out of existence after Irenicus threw a temper tantrum. Xzar took one to the gut to satisfy Jaheira's romance triggers... I'd like
Baeloth
to provide a more permanent sort of entertainment.

As a sorcerer he complements many a party, as an Evil character he helps fill the roster and his quips are hilarious.

If you're one of those who would like to see him make a comeback as a companion, sign this petition / vote Yes.
  1. Mr *Spoiler* as a BG2EE Companion92 votes
    1. Yes
      71.74%
    2. No
      28.26%
Post edited by neleothesze on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    On a personal note I'd love to see him. He is my favourite new NPC so far
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Frankly, I would vote for a fix that allows the rescue of Xzar and Montaron. No, that isn't changing the game content, it is fixing it. Letting them die like that can't possibly be intentional.

If I can't have that... he'll do.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @KidCarnival I'd vote for a fix for Monty and Xzar as well. Well...one for Tiax too. As long as they're not chunked, they should be resurrectable. I mean, you can save the kid from Umberlee's Temple and he's as dead as they come... body more than a few hours old. And somehow you can't spare some compassion for the man who would make a cup out of your skull... a good cup is forever... that there is devotion. :P
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I don't think he is well written - too goofy, not really evil.
    I mean, he an original , interesting, powerful character. But I don't buy him yet.
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190
    In a different thread, we've heard confirmation that Baeloth will NOT be a companion (because he's busy with other things, or something like that). Doesn't invalidate this poll, but I thought it would be useful to point it out (the OP makes it sound like it's still ambiguous).
    DJKajuru said:

@DJKajuru He enslaves people of any and all races and makes them kill each other for profit (money and popularity). Furthermore, he takes enjoyment in playing mind games with people's lives as stakes ( if Magda's husband talks to her then Baeloth kills one clan member for each word )
    I think there is no question of him being evil or not. But yes, he's flamboyant... that's part of the charm :)
    @Rhyme Thanks for pointing it out... I only really made my point that it was a petition in the last line of my post.. maybe I should change the title to reflect that.
    @neleothesze , he is surely all of that during black pits ... but what about BG?
    In BG, he has very few lines and no real banters. It's hard to tell his alignment if you didn't play Black Pits first. But his lines make clear that this is after Black Pits, so even if he doesn't do anything now... he's still everything @neleothesze listed, and he just ended his slave master career the moment before you meet him. It's not sins of the past or a reckless youth or something. That's enough to qualify as evil.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Maybe they have plans for him. I would just wait to see what those plans are before deciding anything.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I'm pretty ambivalent. I'd like to see a nod to him in the Underdark at the least.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    He is just too powerful :)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I shouldn't say no. There are people that really like him (I suppose) and I think that's more than enough reason to see a return for him in the second game. I however, don't like his appearance in BG1. It just feels like name dropping and also out of place. That's just me though. My attitude has always been: "you don't like it? Don't play it!" And that's exactly what I do with him. But my personal opinion is that in my particular game, I would just rather he didn't show up......
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Yes, because if there's one thing I want Beamdog to do with their limited resources, it's to implement another powerful evil arcane caster.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Why not?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am undecided. Mostly because i think I will be disappointed when I take him into the underdark and there won't be as much interaction with the races down there with him than I will want.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

Yes, because if there's one thing I want Beamdog to do with their limited resources, it's to implement another powerful evil arcane caster.

Maybe allow his alignment and surname to be changed via a quest and romance? Maybe it could include werebears.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Please add him at least as an optional character to meet. I'd happily pay extra for him.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @Wowo thank you for that, i feel the same way. @Kennis I'd be nice if they made him content that you had to pay for, I think. Would give everyone the options to play with him exactly the way they want :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    DJKajuru said:

...He routinely captures, imprisons, and enslaves people to fight to the death in a bloodsport arena. How, in the name of the gods and all the Nine Hells, is he not evil?!

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited February 2013

DJKajuru said:

...He routinely captures, imprisons, and enslaves people to fight to the death in a bloodsport arena. How, in the name of the gods and all the Nine Hells, is he not evil?!
    I agree. And I would also add that someone with a score of 19 (!!!) in Intelligence is something like a super-mega-hyper genius. So smart to know that his current state of weakness, after Najim granted his wish, didn't allow him to act like a boss with his "protectors".
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Baeloth strikes me as more of the adversary-type. I'd rather see a follow-up to Black Pits than have him as a party member.

By inventing a time machine and going back to ancient Rome, then becoming a public figure. I think it would be quite a stretch to let Baeloth do that though.

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    He is an easter egg, as far as I'm conserned. He's not only that, thought, but also a pure fanservice: Sorcerer, drow, max HP per level up, exellent stats, knows much more spells than he was supposed to... Just what majority would want, I suppose.

Just no. I would rather see a evil thief in BG2:EE.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    This is what, to me, the EE games are for; more party members.

I want Mr Spoiler AND an evil thief. There's no either/or here.
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    don't want to see every new NPC being recruitable in BG2EE, wouldn't mind seeing him make a cameo in a side quest tho
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited February 2013
    Usually, my stance is the more the merrier. However, I don't feel like the allocation of resources to implement him into BG2 is really worth it. He'll just be a superfluous addition to an oversaturated class (mage). With the addition of Neera, we have 2 pure mages, 2 essentially pure mages (Imoen and Nalia dualed so early, that it's almost a nonfactor caster-wise), and 2 multiclass mages. Though, to be fair, they're mostly good/neutral aligned. I suppose another evil sorc would balance the caster ratios a bit.

On the other hand, I really like him as a character, and as an NPC, he is an extremely powerful addition to any party.

I voted no, just so we can hopefully get more NPCs to fill the slots that are lacking in the roster - like romance options for the shorty races (mainly dwarves) and a solid thief (preferably a backstabby one).

However, I would love for him to be implemented later, like how he was added in BG1EE.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I think we should put him to Spellhold instead. I mean, that's the logical place he would end up in, right?