Skip to content

Dungeons & Dragons (Film)

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Positives?

Jeremy Irons saying "Give me the rod!"

'Nuff said.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I heard the third is pretty ok, with a cool lich in it.
    The first was...terrible.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    The first movie was all kinds of suck. Pure exploitation of the franchise.
    The second movie was a bad movie but stayed very true to the source material and I enjoyed it.
    The third movie was also true to the source material and I thought it was a decent film, in some ways even superior to most recent Hollywood blockbusters.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Will anyone admit to watching this film (willingly and in a sober state) and if so what were your opinions of it? Apparently there are two direct to TV sequels which I have yet to watch but in all honesty I found it very difficult to think of any positives from the first film.

If it wasn't for Irons hilarious performance, i would have casted this godawful movie into the abyss.

Also:THERES A THIRD ONE!?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    Come on! The first movie has the most EPIC DUNGEON EVER!!!!! THREE, I SAID THREE rooms in a STRAIGHT line with barely one trap! EPIC!

Please tell me no one thought I was serious....
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    Interesting. I haven't heard of these movies. Can someone tell their whole names?
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    edited February 2013
    Yeah I've watched it a few times, it's awful but almost reaches the category of the "so bad it's good". It's not boring, it's just stupid and over the top and has awful characters, so it's quite watchable if you're a connoisseur of shit. There are far, far worse movies out there that are really quite torturous to sit through, top of my list being Stormbreaker which I will never ever ever watch again.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well..they did think about a plot , and scenario details... but the dragons were stupid, the mages were a parody the fighter with lipstick was just funny.

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,290
    I didn't know there was a third one?! But I saw the first two; fun in a really cheesy, awful way.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Dungeons and Dragons (2000)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190374/?ref_=sr_2

Dungeons and Dragons 2: Wrath of the Dragon God (2005)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406728/

Dungeons and Dragons 3: The Book of Vile Darkness (2012)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733125/?ref_=sr_1
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I saw the first one many years ago. I can't remember what my opinions of it were, but doing a little google-search reminded me of how ridiculous the villain looked with that blue lipstick. XD

The second one is by far my favorite. It's not that great of a movie, but it was loyal to the game, very campy, and I got a kick out of some of the characters. Namely the badass female barbarian.

The third one was just...ugh. Pure ugh. People dying everywhere, double-crossing at every turn, a ridiculous plot... Ok, so it probably doesn't help the fact that I only saw the last hour of it when it happened to air on Syfy, but from what I saw... Just not my kind of movie at all.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Anyone cheered when Snails died?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Never heard of the third one, looks like a bunch of nobodies playing the roles. I really tried hard to like the first one, but it failed. The second was better but not by much.

It would have been nice if they had known cities and/or towns as well as known people of the Realms in these movies.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498

Yeah I've watched it a few times, it's awful but almost reaches the category of the "so bad it's good". It's not boring, it's just stupid and over the top and has awful characters, so it's quite watchable if you're a connoisseur of shit. There are far, far worse movies out there that are really quite torturous to sit through, top of my list being Stormbreaker which I will never ever ever watch again.

This said it all for me! Though I haven't seen Stormbreaker. "Not boring, but stupid."
    I'd add that design in the film looks really cheap/cheesy.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Better off sticking to Krull for +5 nostalgia.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I've seen parts of the first one channel surfing and was sort of amused by how bad it was. It makes total sense to me that Hollywood execs (producers for sure, and probably the director too) would so not get how to work with the D&D mythos.

Since Peter Jackson succeeded so brilliantly with Tolkien, I think it's likely now that if a Forgotten Realms flick is ever made it could be done properly. I think the execs probably realize by now that it's best to find a geek to produce/direct that truly knows the material and why it appeals to it's demographic, etc. Naturally, I'd love to see the Baldur's Gate saga told. But I'd love to see anything set in the FR.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @Bhaaldog
    Lux is hottt...
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    rexreg said:

@Bhaaldog
    Lux is hottt...

And she kicks ass!
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    Must be the worst movie ever as it is scored 3,6 at Imdb :D Maybe I should check this out, though I haven't watched movies with this low score ever I guess.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    That would be anything with Uwe Boll's name attached to it.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    My friend bought the DVD when it was released and we watched it. I think we all do stupid things when we're young.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    The first one was terrible. To me it was as if a 12 yr old kid had put together elements from Star Wars Episode I (the child-queen, the Senate, the elven tree that looks like Gungan City, [plus a dashing Han Solo- imitation-rogue], etc., etc.) and put in rods that controll ALL TEH RED DRAGONS and ALL TEH GOLDEN DARGONS for an extra dose of fantasy overkill... And I was about 14 myself when I saw that rubbish.

I've only seen bits of the second one, but it seemed to me to be an ok movie. Probably nothing special, but not trash like the first one. Plus, it has a very beautiful elven wizard lady in it. :D
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The only redeeming bit of the first one was the over-the-top Crystal Maze parody/homage with *Richard Bloody O'Brien*. I was not sure if what I was watching was happening onscreen or in the TV-trivia-vault in my brain. But yeah, that film sucked hard. Not even the beers helped, what a waste.

The second film was indeed very different. It seemed inspired by the same 80s hack'n'slash fantasy films that inspired a generation of D&D players, so it sort of worked. It was cheesy but had the slightly self-aware "so-bad-it's-good" thing going on. Beer worked with this one, and it improved solidly with blood alcohol content.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I remember seeing this flick a good decade ago, and I thought it was a guilty pleasure: by no means a good movie, but it was bad in the sort of a good way that made it entertaining to see nonetheless.

Haven't seen the other two. I've heard the second one was legitimately good.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,290
    Yeah Chow I would never call either movie "good"; but I laughed so hard I had great time watching them!
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Seen it. Wished I hadn't. lol
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    While on the subject of D&D films, I quite enjoyed Scourge of Worlds. Tho not really a traditional movie - more of a choose your own adventure movie.