Skip to content

A time before Baldur's Gate...

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I played a lot of the AD&D Goldbox trilogy Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn, but before Baldur's Gate my absolute favorites were Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    That list basicly sounds like mine, although I never had the fortune of playing Chronotrigger. I hear it's very good, I should get it somewhere.
    I played Secret of Mana to death with my best friend and his brother at the time, as well as Lufia and Illusion of Time.

...I'm gonna go hook up my SNES again, back later!
    @atcDave Fantasy General and Civilization 3 are among my favorite games of all time. I always go back to them.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Before BG? Dragon Ball Z Super Saiya Densetsu, althought I doubt how much of a "rpg" this game is. I'm including a video, since many people may not know how the game looked like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGtNoMk5xAU
    Please don't laugh at me.... too hard, that is :p.
    I totally forgot Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back which I have played both for countless of hours.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Being a younger member of the forum and living with parents who didn't believe in buying game systems as soon as they came out, I never owned or played an NES or SNES. My first game system was a Nintendo 64, and even then, it was a hand-me-down from my older cousins. :/

Anyway, before I discovered the amazingness that is Baldur's Gate, I played a lot of games from the late 1990s to early 2000s era, so a lot of second-generation and late-Playstation stuff (probably my absolute favorite era of video-games). The RPGs I played before Baldur's Gate that I loved (and still do) would have to be: Golden Sun, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Final Fantasy 9, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, Legend of Dragoon, and Threads of Fate.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for JRPGs. XD
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There was a time before baldurs gate where I would walk into a games store, and browse through the second hand games. Anything with a sword, knight or dragon on the cover was an insta-buy.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Especially with booty man.

Fallout made virtual post-apocalyptic brothels cool again.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm pretty sure BG was actually my first ever RPG. I was born in '91, and most of the gaming I logged before BG1 was released involved Mario.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I didn't play PC games back in 1997/98, let alone RPG's. The first computer game I saw was Half-Life, the first pc game I played was Tank Racer(on my cousin's pc), and the first game I played at home was Revolt. My first rpg was either Diablo II or Baldur's gate II.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Bhaaldog said:

atcDave said:

I loved the old SSI Gold Box games, I still have vague hopes of seeing EEs of those someday! But my first CRPGs were Ultima, Wizardry and Phantasie. Many, many late nights came from those games! I did stay with D&D themed games through Eye of the Beholder, Dark Sun, Ravenloft; but those were definitely lesser games than the Gold Boxes. I went several years without playing any CRPGs until BG came along.
    I've also played a few Rogue-like games over the years; Telengard, Dungeon Hack, Sword of Fargoal.
    Other genre games I've played and really liked; Ogre, Warship, PacWar, Panzer General, Fantasy General, Civilization (especially III), War in the Pacific.

@atcDave some of these were slightly before my time but do you think they would be worth playing now? I still have my Windows 95 machine.
    Yeah no doubt I'm an old fart...

A lot of those games are DOS, so they might work with an emulator or DOSbox. I know the last SSI release of the "General" games included a Windows 95 installer, so you should be in business there. I think those games would still look and play well. Obviously a little dated, but the game play is terrific.
    Civilization III should also be available through GOG or something and would run fine on a modern system, I actually have an ongoing game that was interrupted by BGEE's release, I keep meaning to get back to that...
    An updated Sword of Fargoal is available on iOS, and probably other modern systems.

The others get a little more problematic, they were never meant for a modern system. I played many of them on a Commodore 64. All my Gold Box games did eventually migrate to my Amiga, man I thought they looked so good on that system! I have no idea how well most of them would run, but various emulators are available.

I had the later AD&D games; Eye of the Beholder (three games plus Dungeon Hack), Ravenloft (two games plus Menzoberranzon), and Dark Sun (two games) in DOS. They're pretty good, especially Dungeon Hack (a randomly generated, single character dungeon crawl giving it high replay value); but they all will look pretty dated graphics wise. But I would think they would run fine with the DOS emulator.

Another classic oldie is Bard's Tale; all three versions are available for a single price ($5 maybe?) in iOS. It's a great deal if you're interested, but the series was never a favorite of mine.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    1. Planescape: Torment
    2. Civ: Call to Power & Civ2
    3. Panzer/Allied General
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    Baldur's gate was my first rpg. before that i played civilization 2 and command & conquer games.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2013
    Age of Kings: The Conquerors. That along with the BG series resulted in me being totally spoiled by two of the greatest 2D isometric games ever made back to back right out of the gate. (I had never played a computer game prior to late 1999.) Which set the bar extremely high. Every thing else has paled in comparison for me since, honestly. I kind of fell out of gaming about '08. EE has definitely rekindled my love of the BG series though.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    RPG before BG?
    Dragon wars,
    Ultima 7 and underworld,
    System shock,
    wizardry,
    prophecy of the shadows
    Diablo
    were the games I still remember as good games to play.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    edited February 2013
    Dagerfall
    SSI games
    King's Quest
    Bard's Tale
    Wizardry
    Ultima

way way way before:
    Temple of Apshia - C64
    Tunnels of Doom - TI994A

http://makezineblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/tunnelsofdoom.png?w=528&h=396
    Post edited by Edwin on
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited February 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Just curious what RPG games did you play before the likes of Baldur's Gate and Fallout?

I didn't. I got to know BG around 2008, and before that, I was mostly playing Battlefield (1942, Vietnam, 2). I started PC gaming in 2004 or so, with Age of Empires I and later AoE II as my favourite games. My first encounter with computer RPG's was Baldur's Gate. It wasn't a bad encounter :-).

*edit: BTW, it's not because I'm young (42), but because I went for years without a computer.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I'd have to say that Baldur's Gate was my first true RPG experience. Harvest Moon was the only thing remotely close. Before that, it was Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda. Maybe a little bit of Sonic the Hedgehog...
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i played a game & played the part of a banker...the game was called --
    Monopoly!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I was very late to Baldur's Gate. Knights of the Old Republic was what got me into the genre. Like I said : Very Late!
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    edited February 2013
    I didn't play much RPG's before BG actually but i did play almost every LucasArts point & click adventure.
    Day of the tentacle, sam & max, monkey island, indiana jones and the fate of atlantis... good times.

I remember Little Big Adventure 2 being the game that got me introduced into the genre though, and shortly after completing it i switched to bg after reading a review in a gaming mag.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited February 2013
    I had played Diablo , Falllout and Hexen before BG . Both were quite enjoyable, but lacking enough dialogue and interaction.

Also , I gotta say that my order of Infinity games was Torment, then Baldur's Gate II , then Icewind Dale. I only played BG1 back in 2004...
    One old RPG that I also finished when I was like 10 years old was Phantasie III - The Wrath of Nikademus. I remember the game being very short but enjoyable. The game engine hasn't aged very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IO9OiWMfaQ
  • IdabriusIdabrius Member Posts: 7
    Before and after BG, the One True RPG has remained AD&D 2e. With some homemade modifications and the use of slews of optional rules, it has been hardier and more dynamic than any computer game. Hell, I even spent 4 years developing a comprehensive setting that I'm about to package up and make available publicly.