Skip to content

Installing Mods in OSX a quick tutorial

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JBCJBC Member Posts: 4
    It's solved for me, but I had to change the permissions of the folders (I don't know which one, I changed a lot of them in the Ressources file).

Thanks a lot :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @subtledoctor Any editing of a sandboxed App requires administrative rights as OSX will not prompt for them in this case. It even happens with the Overhaul version, AFAIK... I'll add a note to the OP.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    @minevese I can't locate the override folder inside my data or my resource folder. I'm running Mac OSX Mavericks so maybe that's why? Or maybe it's possible there are separate game folder locations for the launcher itself / application?
    @ghostowl You must create the override folder. It's not created by the installation.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    thanks. does your tutorial work for BG2:EE as well?
    @ghostowl It does. You just apply the process to the BG2 folder instead
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    I can't get any of this to work, so I'm throwing my hands up. I yield.
  • atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    Oy, the darned permissions issue. I've been following the directions here, using both the dedicated installer script (when it works) and the direct, renaming-Weidu method (when the former doesn't). With a majority of mods this all works, but with some, including some that matter a lot to me (e.g., the tweak pack), I get a "permission denied" error. And this is while logged in as an admin (I checked, and I have root privileges), and after having added myself as a user with RW permissions to everything in the Resources folder in the BGEE app package. (I'm using an app store version.)

I've encountered irreconcilable permissions issues before; it seems to be a common problem with Mavericks (OS 10.9).

My plan now is to try to install the problematic mods on a copy of the resources outside the package, then copy the new resources folder over the old one. Does anyone with experience with this sort of thing have advice regarding this plan?

Alternatively, I would be satisfied simply to copy the correct resources into the override (and other?) folder — is there a way to tell exactly what would need to be done in that regard with a mod like the tweak pack? I am fine with text editors, but don't know where to start.

Advice appreciated. I'd really like to get this install working well.
    Further about the above: I have tried using sudo in Terminal to run the installer (the renamed copy of Weidu), but thsi doesn't solve the problem because sudo doesn't seem to apply to running these programs — I get a no such command error.
    OK, I've now solved it (yay!). I'm not sure whether the solution was trying again to change the permissions (using sudo chmod -R 0777 (directory name, which I recommend getting by dragging the Resources folder into the console window), or manually doing the problem mods, deleting the .command file and the setup file that lacked an extension, and then renaming a copy of the latest Weidu to match the setup name and then running it in console. But one way or the other, it worked for every mod I tried except Alora (whose setup claimed I didn't have ToB installed).

For anyone else running Mavericks, I recommend this approach, including the changing of permissions — Mavericks is notorious for declining to cooperate in this regard.

Also, point of interest: On my machine, the files are not named as I've been seeing referred to; the Resources folder is just located in BaldursGAteEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/, with no numbered folders involved.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @atakdog - glad you got things working. FYI - the permission denied error is probably because the setup-XXX binary packaged with the mod didn't have execute permission (which is separate from read/write permission). Probably best to make sure you have the latest weidu anyway. Older versions of weidu may not recognize BGEE.
    Yes, I had seen an earlier comment (maybe by you) about execute permission, which is why I attacked it using the console: there, it's easy to set permissions to include execute. ("7" is RWX.) Seems to have worked. (Of course, in the process I seem to have messed up my launcher, so I'm currently reinstalling and will start from scratch. Whee.)
  • Livegood118Livegood118 Member Posts: 48
    atakdog said:

OK, I've now solved it (yay!). I'm not sure whether the solution was trying again to change the permissions (using sudo chmod -R 0777 (directory name, which I recommend getting by dragging the Resources folder into the console window), or manually doing the problem mods, deleting the .command file and the setup file that lacked an extension, and then renaming a copy of the latest Weidu to match the setup name and then running it in console. But one way or the other, it worked for every mod I tried except Alora (whose setup claimed I didn't have ToB installed).

For anyone else running Mavericks, I recommend this approach, including the changing of permissions — Mavericks is notorious for declining to cooperate in this regard.

Also, point of interest: On my machine, the files are not named as I've been seeing referred to; the Resources folder is just located in BaldursGAteEnhancedEdition.app/Contents/, with no numbered folders involved.

I was struggling trying to get all this to work for about two to three hours on Mavericks. Tried the sudo command and everything started working. Did an install with SCS II + Tweaks and the game worked perfectly - tried to uninstall a component from SCS II and it completely broke the game. Guess it'll be easier second time around.
  • farsiderfarsider Member Posts: 1
    Despite the OPs help, I'm still having trouble with the installation. Attempting to install one of the WeiDU OS X compatible mods (SCS/Tweak Pack).

I have the beamdog version. I have tried running the installation from both the Game Data/00777 folder (for BG1) and the Contents/Resources folder. I run the .command file that comes with the mod download and it offers me the following error:

/Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/setup-stratagems.command: line 2: cd: /Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enha: No such file or directoryesources
    /Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/setup-stratagems.command: line 3: ./setup-stratagems: No such file or directory

I try running in terminal the script the OP offered and it gives me the following:

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000028
    Trace/BPT trap: 5

I haven't copied in a separate WeiDU and renamed it according to the Windows executable, because it looks as if the mods already have one (it's a Unix Executable File named setup-stratagems).

Permissions aren't an issue. Can anyone help? Thanks!
    @farsider - You are using a version of WeiDU that is incompatible with your version of OSX. Try downloading the latest WeiDU binaries from http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/.

You'll then need to choose the right set of binaries. If you have OSX 10.9, use the weidu+mavericks binary, if you have 10.6-10.8, use the weidu+snowleopard binary.
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    Hi,

I'm confused, what versions of BG does this apply to? Does it include BG-EE and/or BG2-EE?

Thanks
    Dave
    @LookToWindward‌ - If you're referring to the OP, then the instructions were written for BGEE. The specific file locations mentioned are for the Beamdog install (not the Mac App Store install). Also, it's over a year old and some of the instructions are a little outdated (i.e., current versions of WeiDU can use a dialog.tlk file in a specific language directory, so you don't have to create a symlink anymore).
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    I've tried all sorts but can't get it working. Just get messages about missing files or permissions. It's all very complicated with all the different version of BG and OS version etc, so giving up!
    @LookToWindward‌ - I've posted an updated how-to guide for installing mods on OSX.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31155/the-hitchhiker-s-guide-to-installing-mods-on-osx

It may help you out. If you're still having trouble, I can try to lend a hand. Send me a message.