Skip to content

Should Shadowdancer's abilities stay the same?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
It's my first attempt to arrange a poll but this is a subject I cannot give the go-by.

A Shadowdancer kit has been added to the game with the latest patch. Many (myself included) started to use him at once. I very much appreciate this kit has finally appeared in BG.

Currently a Shadowdancer has the following features.

May not wear armor heavier than studded leather.
May not equip shields larger than bucklers
May only use the following weapons: long sword, short sword, katana, scimitar, dagger, club, quarterstaff, crossbow, shortbow, dart, sling.
May only become Proficient (one slot) in any weapon class.
May only become Proficient (one slot) in any fighting style.
May only distribute 15 points per level (30 at level 1) in thieving abilities: Open Locks, Pick Pockets, Find Traps, Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, Detect Illusions.
May use Backstab ability for increased damage
Level 1-9: x2
Level 9+: x3
Hide in Plain Sight: A shadowdancer may hide in shadows, even when being observed.
Can cast Shadowstep 1x/day for every 3 levels
Slippery mind: +1 bonus to Saving Throws
Hit Dice: d6

The most controversial decision regarding this kit is probably his ability to become invisible as soon as he hit someone with a backstab attack and became visible without any time required to cooldown. The only exception is when he fails to hide in shadows.

I like this feature the most. For me, it has changed the gameplay as a thief drastically - it alone enhances this game as I like to play with stealthy characters.

For years we had to use the same tactics with backstabbers: hit > run > hide. With some knack and practice it's possible to find a place at any area where an enemy looses you from his sight for a second at least. In dungeons this is hardly a problem while outdoors there're at least one hurdle in any area. You just have to retreat, walk in circles, change directions and you'll have a chance. After you gain Boots of Speed this becomes much more easier but it's possible even without them if your enemy has a standard speed.

The system as it is now gives you a variety in tactics: if you've hid after the attack, you attack again and if you haven't hid after the attack you should retreat and hide elsewhere. The feature to hide after an attack is the main trait of this kit.

In my opinion, his low backstab multipliers (max x3 for the entire BG2)*, a small number of points available to distribute at the start and at each levelling up, inability to set traps, a chance that hiding fails (especially in the light) together make up for an excellent feature to use sneak attacks and chain backstabs.

I've fallen in love with this style as soon as I tried it for the first time.

But it turns out this is not a single point of view. Also, there appeaps to be some propositions for a patch. So I've decided to make a poll which probably can help to understand whether this kit has to stay the same or not.

I'm wondering what everyone else thinks?

*Now there's a bug about his multipliers in BG1 but it will be changed soon and won't make it to BG2:EE anyway.

1. Should Shadowdancer's abilities stay the same?89 votes
    1. Yes, I like the ability to re-stealth immediately after an attack is made and chain backstabs.
      26.97%
    2. Yes, but there can be more minor abilities.
      15.73%
    3. No, there should be some cooldown effect to prevent chain backstabs.
      30.34%
    4. No, but the changes should not be connected with his ability to hide after an attack.
        6.74%
    5. I don't care because I don't plan to use this kit.
      20.22%
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's already been confirmed that the Shadowdancer is bugged, so, as of next patch, these changes WILL happen:

* Backstab caps at X3 at level 9.

* HIPS usable once per round max.

* No set traps.

It's a bit pointless to discuss how a shadowdancer should be, until people have tried it the way it is intended to be.
  • BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    What I would suggest is he/she keeps the ability hid after an attack but each time he/she hides in plain sight he/she has a small penalty to hide in shadow and this penalty is reduced each round.

By this way, we keep the ability chain backstabs but at a moment it will be not possible to do it.
    So we have to manage between the chain backstabs ability and the penalty at hide in shadow by using some other abilities like Shadowstep...
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2013
    The poll is missing the option

"No, this kit is too overpowered and it needs to be drastically nerfed".

Even with the proposed bug fixes, this kit is still a bit too powerful for my taste.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2013
    Fardragon said:

It's already been confirmed that the Shadowdancer is bugged, so, as of next patch, these changes WILL happen:

* Backstab caps at X3 at level 9.

* HIPS usable once per round max.

* No set traps.

It's a bit pointless to discuss how a shadowdancer should be, until people have tried it the way it is intended to be.

Discussion is always expedient, it's never pointless. Till the patch is out nothing is certain. Maybe discussions like these can help to even better enhance this kit. Moreover, planned features are never set in stone. A phrase "HIPS usable once per round max" can be vaguely interpreted and maybe this poll can define the final version of changes.

Maybe the views expressed here can be taken into account by the devs when they combine the details of the next patch. To talk about something is never malapropos. Especially if the subject is unsettled yet.
    Erg said:

The poll is missing the option

"No, this kit is too overpowered and it needs to be drastically nerfed".

Even with the proposed bug fixes, this kit is still a bit too powerful for my taste.

The 5th option matches this answer. If you see this kit OP you don't plan to use it, right?
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2013
    As long as it is called Shadowdancer i wont play this kit... if they change the Name shadowdancer to Spy or something else that is 2nd edition class then i play this kit.. (and many of my friends feel the same as I do)

Shadowdancer is 3rd edition class not 2nd...

remember it's the name that i dislike not the class ability... if they change the name to 2nd edition class name(kits) then it's okey class in my eyes
    bengoshi said:

Discussion is always expedient, it's never pointless.

It's impossible to reach a valid conclusion without data.
    planned features are never set in stone.
    A bug fix is not a "planned feature".
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I love the shadow dancer's HIPS ability, it is unique, it is powerful, and it is fun to use. A new breath of fresh air to the old backstab routine. I love it to bits.

I would love to see its bugs fixed, and a few minor bonuses or abilities would be good too. Like simple illusions like blindness, reflected image, blur, etc. as special abilities at later levels would be nice, augmenting his pseudo-magical nature.

I would also like to see disabling dual classing too. Shadowdancer is an extremely dedicated and narrow path, dualing into fighter or mage after maxing move silently to abuse HIPS makes the character overpowered IMHO. A shadowdancer can hide infront of enemies, but he can only attempt a weak backstab with bad THAC0. A SD dualled into fighter will have many attacks/round, weapon mastery, dual wielding etc. to make HIPS overpowered. Oh and a mage dual will be like having the Staff of Magi, cast a spell, HIPS, attack with a backstab, immediately cast another spell quickly and HIPS again before enemies reteliate.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Fardragon said:

bengoshi said:

Discussion is always expedient, it's never pointless.

It's impossible to reach a valid conclusion without data.
    planned features are never set in stone.
    A bug fix is not a "planned feature".

I don't see any sense in declaring there's nothing to talk about. There's a lot to talk about.

If it was the other way round, there wouldn't be any sense in talking about BG2:EE before it's released or in talking about BG:EE before it was released. If it was the other way round, the point of this forum in its entirety would be in question.

An ability to hide immediately after an attack from the shadows cannot be called a bug at all. It's a feature that some people like and some don't. It's up to the devs to say the last word here but it's certainly up to the forum members to discuss if something should be done or not and how exactly everyone sees it ideal.

From my point of view even if there're some developments in this direction, they can be changed any time before the patch is out, even in the last minute. And what is written here (on the forum) can play a certain part in it.
    bengoshi said:

An ability to hide immediately after an attack from the shadows cannot be called a bug at all.

No, it's a bug. 100% confirmed. Check the developer quotes.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited March 2013
    I'd like backstab multipliers to be fixed to what they're supposed to be BUT add x4 multiplier at level 17. Otherwise the multiplier is worse than a Stalker.

@Fardragon Where are the developer quotes?

It can't be a bug to hide immediately after an attack since that's the whole point of the kit. If you mean *backstab - hide -backstab - hide* within a single round then fair enough, but I see nothing wrong with *backstab - hide - backstab*. But even in that case the developers MUST have known about this 'bug' since it's always been the case that stealth 'cooldown' only occurs when failing to hide successfully. Even regular thieves have the option to hide immediately after a backstab (though obviously, they automatically fail).

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    bengoshi said:

For years we had to use the same tactics with backstabbers: hit > run > hide. With some knack and practice it's possible to find a place at any area where an enemy looses you from his sight for a second at least. In dungeons this is hardly a problem while outdoors there're at least one hurdle in any area. You just have to retreat, walk in circles, change directions and you'll have a chance. After you gain Boots of Speed this becomes much more easier but it's possible even without them if your enemy has a standard speed.

There's still Invisibility Potions, the Invisibility spell, and the Sandthief Ring, off the top of my head, that allow you to pull off another backstab. Also, this is all based on the assumption that you need to be constantly backstabbing with your thief. Personally, I rarely backstab more than once per encounter. I see it more as a devastating combat opener, rather than a standard form of attack. And for the odd fight where I do want to use it again (like a boss fight), I usually use one of the methods I mentioned above. I think HIPS, even if it is limited to once per round, would go a long way in making it so backstabbing actually is a standard form of attack for Shadowdancers (at least for me).

On a side note, I think you chose your poll options well. I knew how you felt about this issue from other threads, and came here kind of expecting to find biased options, but they're not at all, at least as far as I'm concerned.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    How does HIPS work? I mean, is there not a current cool down like with a normal HIS? Or is it: HIPS, walk behind the enemy/wait for him ( melee ) to walk to you, backstab, HIPS, backstab, HIPS, backstab, death?

If it's not limited to once a round, I could see how some would be concerned with it despite the low BS multiplier. Once you get to BG2:EE, the class will shine with SoS on most encounters, but useless on a few of the big baddies.

If it's like the way I described it, then most encounters aside from SCS Mages are going to be a breeze. HIS, let Minsc wade into battle, and just backstab all day. You'll clearly have the percentage of kills.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Fardragon said:

This.

It seems like a cool class, but I can't really say if it's broken or not until I play around with the "real" version, which doesn't exist yet.
    TJ_Hooker said:

bengoshi said:

There's still Invisibility Potions, the Invisibility spell, and the Sandthief Ring, off the top of my head, that allow you to pull off another backstab. Also, this is all based on the assumption that you need to be constantly backstabbing with your thief. Personally, I rarely backstab more than once per encounter. I see it more as a devastating combat opener, rather than a standard form of attack. And for the odd fight where I do want to use it again (like a boss fight), I usually use one of the methods I mentioned above. I think HIPS, even if it is limited to once per round, would go a long way in making it so backstabbing actually is a standard form of attack for Shadowdancers (at least for me).

On a side note, I think you chose your poll options well. I knew how you felt about this issue from other threads, and came here kind of expecting to find biased options, but they're not at all, at least as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks for kind words.

Yes, this issue is very important to me and the more activity on this forum about this subject the better. I didn't have assumptions what direction opinions would take in general, though. Now it seems (from the results of the poll) that I'm not alone in a point about keeping Shadowdancer's abilities.

Invisibility Potions are limited in number, Sandthief Ring is rather far from the start of the game and has a good price, the Invisibility spell is available only for multiclass thiefs, so all these things can't substitute HIPS entirely. This can be not so important if you use backstabs rarely but it really matters if in the main you use sneak attacks during the game.

Now I'd like to set the record straight about allegedly buggish character of the main trait of a Shadowdancer.

We have only the following:

Aosaw Post March 7 "There should be a cool-down period for stealth, even using HiPS. Is that cool-down not taking place?"

Aosaw Post March 7 "That's something we'll have to look at, then. Yes, that would definitely make the Shadowdancer more powerful than is necessary. :) "

So, according to these words, a cool-down period for stealth must be in any case. But this general rule doesn't mean a Shadowdancer will loose an ability to hide immediately after an attack from the shadows - this new hiding can be done immediately after an attack but after a cool-down period from the previous hiding.

These words don't mean an ability to hide immediately after an attack from the shadows is a bug. These words only mean the devs will look at the feature and will seek variants. They didn't said anything certain.

Moreover, it's an opinion of one member of the BGEE team, there can always be other opinions in the team. For example, there had been different opinions about ranged APR before unified point of view was announced.

ryuken87 said:

I'd like backstab multipliers to be fixed to what they're supposed to be BUT add x4 multiplier at level 17. Otherwise the multiplier is worse than a Stalker.

@Fardragon Where are the developer quotes?

It can't be a bug to hide immediately after an attack since that's the whole point of the kit. If you mean *backstab - hide -backstab - hide* within a single round then fair enough, but I see nothing wrong with *backstab - hide - backstab*. But even in that case the developers MUST have known about this 'bug' since it's always been the case that stealth 'cooldown' only occurs when failing to hide successfully. Even regular thieves have the option to hide immediately after a backstab (though obviously, they automatically fail).

Here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16967/shadowdancer-too-op/p1
    Aosaw said:

There should be a cool-down period for stealth, even using HiPS. Is that cool-down not taking place?

It's not specifically a Shadowdancer bug - there should be a cooldown for ALL thieves. It's just more obvious for shadowdancers. The developers where unaware that the cooldown wasn't working when they made the Shadowdancer kit.
    I've decided to revive this poll. It would be great to hear some new ideas after all this time has passed since the adding of a shadowdancer kit. The patch is still in the work, so additional improving is never useless. Moreover, the impovements can be put into BG2:EE.

I hope much more people have tried this kit and its abilities.

If you ask myself, I still think the HIPS ability is unique and fun to use, a real gem in the backstab routine.
  • havlyahavlya Member Posts: 16
    Shadow Evade from neverwinter or
    Summon Shadow.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    The current implementation of hide in plain sight is going to be stupidly overpowered in BG2:EE.
    In BG:EE, it's fine due to the highly limited amount of skillpoints.

So, yeah, I think it should be changed.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    After a quick test run with a halfling with 19 dex, I'd say this kit is ridiculously OP for BG1. 65% HiS at level 1 allowed him to hide almost every time indoors and outdoors at night. Elves would pose similar problems since they also can get 19 dex and have a racial bonus of +10% to HiS. The boots of stealth and shadow armor were easily attainable within the first 15 minutes of game play, which brought him up to 95% HiS and 55% move silently (still level 1 mind you). My test was killing Berrun Ghastkill (who was surrounded by patrolling Amnish soldiers). Nothing personal, he was just convenient after grabbing the boots, heheh. 4 backstabs later and he was takin' a dirt nap, though HiS failed once and he popped me for 7 damage and almost killed me. IMHO HiPS should be limited to uses per day (maybe a separate special ability) since the cool-down on hide in shadows seems to be working (it's working between hides when it fails, not sure about after breaking stealth).

As for BG2, it depends largely on what has been changed in BGEE2. IIRC there was an abundance of invisibility potions in the original as well as rings, and the staff of the magi. If things are still the same, it seems like they'd be under-powered and mediocre.

BTW...@bengoshi...shadow step is 1 per 5 levels with the first at level 5.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    /2 Trade SCARY_WIZARD [14:11:05]: wtb vanishing powder pst
    So, apperently now in the beta version there is a cool down timer when you come out of of the shadows (or after a backstab), so you have to wait before you can hide again. Now it requires a wait instead of immediately turning invisible again.

While there can be a point of view this change has stripped the OP of this class, personally I find it odd. This was the main feature of a shadowdancer kit. I liked every bit of it. This change, I think, somehow makes this kit useless. While a shadowdancer waits after a backstab, there's a big chance of something bad happening to him. And all this with only x3 backstab multiplier... The nasty mage won't die from the first backstab (due to the low damage), during the cool down period of the shadowdancer, this mage will cast some spell to end the shadowdancer's life.

Instead of a breath of fresh air we are coming to the old backstab routine, when you have to retreat after a backstab, or to gulp a potion, or to use a ring. The difference with other thieves is decreasing while the disadvantages of a shadowdancer kit are becoming too big.

I think this change is wrong.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    I think it's okay to have a cooldown on this skill. In NWN2 for example the Hide skill has a usual cooldown no matter is the hide in plain sight ability on your skill list or not.

Personally I like the shadowdancer kit, but found it rather weak. Hide in plain sight is the only advantage that he has. He should have less loss in thieves skill points IMO.
  • InfiltratorInfiltrator Member Posts: 121
    I don't think he should be able to chain stab, but to me this class is giving far too much in order to have a free ring of invis in every fight.

- Crap multiplier that stops growing before BG2 - meaning that during BG2, this class progression will literally just freeze up solid.

- No traps.

- Shitty skill growth with no offensive abilities like poison to make up for it
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    DarkDogg said:

Personally I like the shadowdancer kit, but found it rather weak. Hide in plain sight is the only advantage that he has. He should have less loss in thieves skill points IMO.

I also wish the shadow dancer had more points for thief skills...otherwise I have no issue with a cool down (makes sense personally)...

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited October 2013
    To be honest, I think that :
    - It should get a Move Silently / Hide in Shadows bonus at level 1
    - Its backstab multiplier should be the same as a stalker (level 1-8 = x2, 9-16 = x3, 17+ = x4). It makes no sense to limit it to x3.
    - Some kind of cooldown should be included in Hide in Plain sight to balance the improved backstab multiplier and ensure that class is not stupidly overpowered in BG2.

Edit.: Heh, forgot I had already answered that thread :D
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    I don't care because mages still rocks
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    I voted the way I did because shadowdancer gives too much up for too little. Once a cooldown is implemented on HiS, then it needs traps restored, a higher BS multiplier, or more skill points per level (obviously, not all 3). Basillicum is currently testing and documenting his experience with shadowdancer and it seems the low skill point distribution is the biggest issue.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited October 2013
    I don't think this kit is great in the first place. It does rock early on but when BG2EE rolls around the low backstab multiplier and lack of traps is going to really hurt, especially when other thieves are getting stuff like Assassinate, Assassins get x7 backstabs, M/Ts get Mislead, Swashbuckler bonuses start stacking up, etc. It's not like it's difficult to chain backstabs in the first place, just takes a little longer for a non-shadowdancer.

I don't plan to use the kit for this reason but I voted to keep the ability because I want there to be *some* reason for other people to use the class.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think people might be forgetting about the Shadowstep ability.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @Dee

I guess I am. I'll give it a try after the patch to see if it changes my opinion but I have to admit on paper it doesn't sound useful enough to sway me.