Skip to content

You don't have to fight the amazon mercenaries right after *SPOILER*

Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
Hello,

Since it seems that there is a common belief the you *have* to fight them when you exit the cave, remember that you are not forced to exit the map using the closest limit (north).

... you can go straight west and avoid the fight until you're a bit more confident in yourself or your party...

Worth mentioning it (again) I guess since many people are still saying it's a tough encounter for the mine exit ;-)

(and are even going back to all the mine levels to exit in the Naskhel mine entrance map !!!!).

For SCS this would even be more useful.

Added spoiler tag. -Jalily
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No shit
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    all i need is a nap and i'm ready to go!
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201

For SCS this would even be more useful.

Actually SCS has a component that randomizes the location of the Amazon assassins as well as the bounty hunters near Gullykin.

• MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    I always take the main entrance out. I got what I came for and I want to take the quickest route: The one I already cleared.

The way it's set up it's really easy to forget there is an alternative way out. I barely register it being there whenever I'm doing it.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It isn't like the fight is completely unwinnable even if you make a beeline right to the mines from just outside of Candlekeep. You do need certain spells, though.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    yep, sleep will take out the archer and dart thrower, silence will work on the casters and command/doom/hold person works a treat too
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Sometimes, when you go west from the mines exit, there can be Ankhegs that are dangerous for a low-level parties as well. So, it's better to send someone invisible (a thief or a familiar for example) first to check if your way is safe and then (if needed) change a direction a little bit.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Yeah, with sleep and some decent archery (to disrupt the two casters) you can even the odds enough to win even as a 1st-2nd level party.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited March 2013
    bengoshi said:

Sometimes, when you go west from the mines exit, there can be Ankhegs that are dangerous for a low-level parties as well. So, it's better to send someone invisible (a thief or a familiar for example) first to check if your way is safe and then (if needed) change a direction a little bit.

You can easily outrun them and click to exit the map asap. If your frontliners are frontliners, they should also avoid / survive the shot they fire (I guess it's only once a day per Ankheg IIRC ?).

I have never found this tricky to do since Ankheg really like wasting they time before spitting acid on the characters.

Though, I confirm the fact that many comments said " I wanted to avoid the encounter so I ran back aaaallll the way to the mine entrance" ^^
    Post edited by Aasimar069 on

No shit

Yeah it scared the shit out of me too when I realized that some people didn't even think that they could exit the map from another corner ;-)
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    My favoured tactic is to hide in shadows with Immy and sneak up on their position. Then return her to the party, bring them back up to the edge of their location, and have my mages cast fireball/tangle/any detrimental area-of-effect spell, whilst the rest attack with missile weapons. Haste is also a great bonus.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    If you can cast Fireball and Haste, yeah, the fight ought to be a curb-stomp.
    Immunity to charm, fear and hold from Berserker and Paladin kits make the fights even easier with low levels :p
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Having a thief stealth into the midst of them and choose one of them to backstab as the party caster moves into range with an appropriate CC spell as the heavy hitters charge has the added benefit of usually forcing their archer into melee - even spells like horror can be useful to take some of them out of the fight and make taking down those that save easier before chasing the others down.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I don't always fight the amazon mercenaries, but when I do I summon werebears. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I always go back up through the mine and back to Neshkel. I take the easy experience from the Mayor and bounty hunter. Save the Amazons for another day. Don't know why, I just always feel like its time to sell off inventory and do some other things at that point.

I love the amazon fight, but I save for when I'm clearing that whole map later.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Can the OP please add (Spoiler) tag to the title? It may be a no brainer, but it is the right thing to do.

With that having been said, you just finished up the mines and are probably pretty low on supplies. And there is a battle that you can't avoid before you can rest, so I also recommend skipping the combat. But definitely go back for it later.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Am I the only one who clears that map before ENTERING the mines?

It was first a metagaming thought where I was "hey, why put up with kolbolds when I can go right to the exit" and realized that didn't work; however, I still clear out that area first to get a few tools and XP before venturing forth.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    You obviously want their gear, so go ahead and kill them. Charm person is nice. Sleep and Command as well.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    deltago said:

Am I the only one who clears that map before ENTERING the mines?

It was first a metagaming thought where I was "hey, why put up with kolbolds when I can go right to the exit" and realized that didn't work; however, I still clear out that area first to get a few tools and XP before venturing forth.

I don't do it before the mines, but I do them right after I exit them. There's not a whole lot in the mines that clog up the inventory, so it's easy to just roll through the map.

The exp from the Mage, two Mustard Jellies, the 3k from killing the Revenant, and some nice equipment is too much to pass up after Mulahey.