Skip to content

If BG3 is to be released what engine would you want?

2»

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Thank you, @redline. The pretentious bias was getting a little thick in here.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I wonder if they can get the Aurora Engine but make BG3 play like the previous BG games. I want to be able to create my own stories and game types and whatnot. Neverwinter Nights had this ability and back in its heyday, it was paradise!

There hasn't been a game as community-friendly as NWN since its master servers were shut down. Shoutout to @TrentOster for helping make 2005-2011 the best online and modding experience I've ever had. Seriously.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    tilly said:

Aren't Project Eternity and Wastelands 2 both using something called Unity? That might be a good choice too.

Torment: Tides of Numenera as well.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    They'll build a new engine from the ground up. I think the devs have said that. It will not be the Infinity engine for the reasons @mlnevese cited.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2013
    I understand the OPs point about NWN2, but I think my face would turn a little green if BG3 came out as another infinity engine game. BG may have been one of several classics using infinity, but I find I have very little to like about it besides marveling at some of the nice artistic backdrops. I enjoy party play, but watching everything isometrically doesn't seem that great of a serving other than for nostalgic reasons.

Something along the lines of the Aurora engine used for NWN and the Witcher would probably sate my taste buds. Unity engine might be nice, though I don't know too much about it.
    I watched the demo for Wasteland 2, and it looks great. Character building seems a little dull though, being purely based on the growth of skills. I've been spoiled by actual class perks like BG's kits, Feats in IWD2/NWN/etc., and Perks in Fallout. Oblivion bored me to tears because of its purely Skill-based building.
    Obviously, that doesn't mean the Unity engine Wasteland 2 is apparently using couldn't be turned into an awesome 3.5 or 4E Baldur's Gate 3. Still, though, it does make me concerned about whether or not I'll enjoy Wasteland 2 itself.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Out of curiosity, are there any games that have been released already that use the Unity engine? If not, i think we should see a finished product before we determine if it would be a good fit for BG3. If there are games out that use it, what are they? I'd just like to get a feel for how that engine actually works.
    @Akihiko
    None have been released just yet as far as I know, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hQWqtxXPU is a gameplay demonstration for Wasteland 2. It's pretty extensive in showing you how it handles.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Akihiko said:

Out of curiosity, are there any games that have been released already that use the Unity engine? If not, i think we should see a finished product before we determine if it would be a good fit for BG3. If there are games out that use it, what are they? I'd just like to get a feel for how that engine actually works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(game_engine)#Games_using_Unity
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited April 2013
    Today's Twitter comments by Trent leads me to believe there may not be a BG3, at least not from Beamdog.

Someone tweeted Trent "Baldur's Gate 3 #whydonttheymakethat

Trent's response was:
    Because it it hard to make a great RPG. It will take a long time and expectations will be to the moon high

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    An RTS engine would be ideal for this sort of thing. I mean, Baldur's Gate basically has an RTS-style control system: Select units one-by-one, issue commands etc.

Just because there are other, odd mechanics like the spell memorisation system, live-pause gameplay etc., doesn't mean the engine can't support them.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    How about a text based engine? Go all retro. It's probably cheap too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.