Skip to content

Dual class HP decreased upon Importing

TurcamTurcam Member Posts: 26
When i import a character, in my case a dual-class kensai-mage of level 7-9, from black pits into a new black pits OR BG proper game, via character file, the HP decrease. Before importing the character has 110 hit point, 7*10 plus con bonus 7*4 = 98, plus 2 levels mage, 2*4 plus con bonus 2*2 = 110 HP total. After importing this number is decreased to 68 somehow.
Not tested with other dual class combinations...

Comments

• Chinese_JetpilotChinese_Jetpilot Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Incorrect HP values when importing high level character into Multiplayer game.

Current Behavior:

When importing a level 8 character with 19 constitution, the imported character's HP is incorrect, sometimes significantly. When character is exported "naked" (no equipment), the disparity is even worse. A "naked" level 8 Barbarian (19 CON) with 123 HP was a 74 HP character upon import. The incorrect values appear to be random, despite same exported character file. Only tested Human and Half-Elf characters (Barbarian and Ranger, respectively) with 19 CON, may also occur with other classes and values. Only tested on iPad.

Expected Behavior:

Characters' statistics should reflect accurately upon import.
  • MestarMestar Member Posts: 78
    I noticed this too. It happened with a human Kensai dual classed into Druid.
  • TurcamTurcam Member Posts: 26
    I think it is no coincidence that the amount substracted, 110-68=42, is exactly the amount of HP that a 7th level mage would get with 2hp con bonus, so the amount that a 7/9 dual class is not getting while his first class is inactive. I am sure there is some kind of HP correction mechanism at work that makes sure temporary HP are corrected upon character import. I guess that's where the bug is...
    This could be confirmed if the dual fighter/druid has even less hp left, e.g. Not counting con bonus it would be twice the amount for a druid (1d8) compared to mage (1d4).
    to rewrite the above into a more structured bug-fix request:

current behaviour:
    upon importing a dual class character, an amount of Hit Points is substracted from the characters total, according to this "formula": # of levels of lowest level class * number of HP of second class. Example: a dual class kensai (7) / mage (9) with constitution 18 has (7*10)+(7*4)=98 plus (2*4)+(2*2)=12 is 110 HP total. Upon importing the character, it only has 68 HP left, which is most likely 110 - 42 where 42 is 7*(4+2) -> the amount of HP that the second class "gains not" during the inactive phase of the dual class.

expected behaviour:
    upon importing a dual class character, it's Hit Points should not be lowered.
    Again, presumably the lowering is due to HP "recalculation" mechanism put in place to prevent some "exploit" of temporary hitpoints while importing from saved games or so...
    Just some extra info, when i dual a mage level 3 (12hp) dualed to fighter level 4 (+10 hp for total of 22 hp):
    Upon importing the character, the HP is set to 40, for the 4 levels of fighter...
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2013
    Okay, so I FINALLY finished my playthrough of the Enhanced Edition (Don't worry, the guide is coming soon, I promise you...). One of the worst, most annoying gaming experiences I've ever played in my life. You have NO IDEA how many times I had to reset the game, edit my savefile, activate cheats, reload, quit and restart the program, etc. etc. just to get through the endless annoying bugs, lockups, and disappearing journal entries that they still haven't fixed yet. And what was my reward for all this crap? Oh, your character's bugged. Yup. That's how they reward your loyalty folks. 20$ well spent indeed.

More to the point: The game doesn't recognize imported dual-classed characters properly. My Berserker/Mage (the game calls it a Fighter/Mage for some reason...) is supposed to have exactly 108 HP. Instead he's inexplicably downgraded to 60 HP. What the hell...

Screenshot 1:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

That's my HP breakdown...

d10*7 fighter levels
    + d4*1 mage levels
    + 3*7 Fighter's CON 17 gives a +3 bonus/level
    + 2*1 Mage's CON 17 gives a +2 bonus/level
    + 5 from Helm of Balduran
    + 6 from familiar's d12/2
    = 108 HP

and it adds up perfectly.

Screenshot 2:

After importing and starting a new Single- or Multi-player game, my HP is reduced to 60 with the same gear!? I just don't get it. It's as if the game is cutting 1/2 of my HP for no reason whatsoever.

Screenshot 3:

Here's all my stuff right before I went into the Temple of Bhaal to kill Sarevok.

Screenshot 4:

After importing and starting a new Single- or Multi-player game, all of my containers and the stuff inside them were deleted. Intended or a bug? How about some WARNING MESSAGES next time, developers? Yeah, I'm going with "bug" because it's a completely unfair, cheap move.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Yes. They took your bags and HP on purpose...

Honestly we are lucky that BG:EE exists at all. Most games stay dead when they die the first time.
    Can someone delete wraith sarevoks post from my bugreport? I dont like his tone at all. While i believe he supports my case, we can do without his attitude towards bg developers. Thank you.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Turcam said:

Can someone delete wraith sarevoks post from my bugreport? I dont like his tone at all. While i believe he supports my case, we can do without his attitude towards bg developers. Thank you.

Oh, I'm sorry that you weren't motivated enough to post your own screenshots of the bug, but that you were motivated enough to lash out at the people trying to help you.

I'm also sorry that you're either unwilling or unable to stand up and tell someone when their work (videogame) is terrible; when they're making a mistake and that they need to rethink their methods. Last I checked, constructive criticism is welcomed and everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether others agree with it or not.
    Totaly agree with you, tj-hooker, thanks for your post...
  • leotk2leotk2 Member Posts: 1
    I´m facing the same problem, someone got an answer for that?
    My best answer at this moment (until the bug gets fixed), for those that like to play BG with characters imported from TBP and especially if you don't intend to continue the character into BG2:
    Play dual class characters with the better Hit Dice character as second class, e.g. Mage->fighter dual in black pits.
    Upon importing you will actually get all the fighter level HP. In black pits, due to the level cap depending on the XP that come with the second class level 10, this also allows for higher level characters anyway, when second class is fighter or cleric over mage or thief.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    It even hits with level 1 multiclass characters.

A Mage-Thief with 16 con should have 7 hp at level 1. And when creating a new character and starting a new game, he does.

But import that character into a new game, and he has only 5.
  • salahcinsalahcin Member Posts: 5
    Same problem aka Duel classes are rendered pointless. The only reason to have a Fighter then duel to Mage is for that extra HP its not like you can cast spells with armor! How am i supposed to feel about wasting half the game developing a worthless character! Messed up my whole strategy and loads of time.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Even single class characters have different HP after the character file is imported. I think all the hit dice are randomly rerolled, because I tried creating a new game several times while importing the same character file and the HP is different every time.
    It is rerolled depending on what class your character is, for example if you are a fighter level 8 and import. The stats should remain what they should be. But if you are a fighter level 8 that changed to a mage and imported at level 5 mage then it adjusts it to a mages expected hp roll and disregards the 8 levels of fighter. I have tested this. And i am not happy.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Please people remain civil to each other or the thread will be closed before it derails into a flaming festival.

About importing characters it's a know bug and should be fixed soon.
    This problem is the only reason i bothered to join the forum at all.

I am just hoping that stirring the pot will make this problem that actually affects playability rise to the top so i can get on with the development of my character and not feel like i got ripped off 20 dollars for a game i already own Played Beat and payed for 10 years ago.

Other wise Much love and keep up the good work! D&D needs a video game Revelution

Fingers crossed for a BG3!
    If you have the game on PC it's mildly annoying, but it really isn't such a huge deal. You can always fix it with Shadowkeeper or EEKeeper.
    shouldnt have to fix anything, it should just work. I have it on ipad because i thought hey there was a lot i could still do in bg1 maybe i will do a fighter and duel to mage! Have yet to do that yet! Why is it possible to do this class at all if it duds.. and then it will be in full swing when it comes time to go to the next game . And i dont feel like this lame attitude that i should have to mod a game just to get it to do what it should do in the first place is a reasonable attitude to have. if i was making millions of dollars off peoples interests i would act like that was what it was about. This is not about expectations its about common sense!
    I wonder if this was an issue on vanilla.
  • lorithadlorithad Member Posts: 1
    I just want to add my name to the list of people affected. I have BG:EE on steam. Really hoping for a patch for this.
  • shiffdshiffd Member Posts: 23
    post v1.2 this is still a problem...BOOOOOO
  • AlmeidaAlmeida Member Posts: 5
    Just to mention that importing a char in BG2:EE shows the same behaviour.
    My Kensai mage loses all hp from the Kensai levels. It only counts the mage levels.