Skip to content

thinking about my next character

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
i am having trouble thinking about what class to use on my next playthrough. i thought i would ask you guys how fun some of these classes could be. if you have some others that have been fun, i am willing to take suggestions, but i like my main characters being a combat class of some kind, so I am not thinking arcane magic for this character. keep in mind that this is for the whole saga, not just the first game. also i am not really looking for the most powerful, but the most fun :)

fighter/thief multi or duel
i have thought on this for a long time. as this class, i could be a fighter for more difficult fights, and when i take off the armor i could use my thief skills. like this if i have another thief in the party, i could focus him to be a warrior but if not, give him some leather and use him as the thief. also as a fighter->thief or multi, i will be able to get use any item. when i get this, i could use scrolls to launch spells, and even use carsomyr. if i duel, i have also thought a swashbuckler-> fighter could come in handy by giving me ac, hit and damage, however no use any item. dueling will also allow me to get 5 pips to be grandmastery of my weapon.

cavalier
this is going to give me immunity to charm, fear, poison, and morale failure, all of which can be annoying. i can use carsomyr without use any item. i will not be sharing exp between multiple classes, allowing me to just be a better paladin. access to a small amount of cleric spells. however, i am also missing out on thief skills and being capable of using magic through scrolls and any other items it can't use.

cleric of lothander or helm
A cleric would give me some magic, but I could also use armor and be a fighter when neccessary. there is no point being a pure cleric and i want to be neutral or good. considering i am too good it is hard to keep viconia with me by the end of the game (sorry bhaaldog) and like this is could have a 22 wisdom cleric in throne of bhaal.

as i said, i can take other classes into consideration. i just want to be a melee main so no arcane magic. I will have npcs for that :)

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Fighter/Thief multi is great, but a Stalker is also worth a look

There's also the Blackguard, of course, or the new Dwarven Defender
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Go fighter / thief multi.

This is a underrated class. Bonuses include:-

Backstabs that can hit. (put pips in a weapon a thief can use though...)
    Ability to sneak up on enemies before they see you (mages can be rendered useless before combat really begins)
    Ability to take some damage, when a backstab goes horribly wrong...

Their is a Ranger Kit that gives you backstabs also, which makes it very similar... Do you want to unlock traps and chests more than a few cleric spells?

Dual-ling fighter first then going thief is good also... But you wanna play this with an elf for the bonuses... The NPC Coran is a good example of a fighter thief... Note the need for high dex means you may as well go with a ranged weapon, just like Coran.

However. Everyone has at least played as a cavalier ONCE. You just got to. Easy run through in BG2 because of the bonuses.

Clerics? Hmmm. If you like buffing your helmet to a healthy glow... then this is the way forward... But if your like me, and just have to dive straight into melee. Nah. Avoid. *looks shifty left and right due to possible controversial comment*
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Fighter/thief multi is great
    1/2 orc is you want more fighter then thief
    halfling is more thief then fighter
    elf has the most balance between the two
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I am seeing you guys like the f/t multi better than dual. I had thought this too due to getting HLAs sooner and more than duel, and being able to have thief and fighter selection. It also sounds like I should be an elf. I will just wait for more opinions. I could play something else in the meantime.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Try half orc for F/T. More strength and constitution>more dexterity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2013
    Tresset said:

But no thieving skill bonuses and 19 strength can be reached by any thief by the end of BGEE, also no shorty saves or elf weapon/charm save bonuses. Gnome can be good, as gets shorty save bonuses vs. spell, thieving skills bonuses and can have 18 Str and Con...

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Oxford_Guy True, there is a lot to think about when creating characters. But if you are a half orc you can reach 20 instead of 19 strength! Same with constitution. Though the other stuff is worth considering too...
    Tresset said:

@Oxford_Guy True, there is a lot to think about when creating characters. But if you are a half orc you can reach 20 instead of 19 strength! Same with constitution. Though the other stuff is worth considering too...

Yes, but the biggest difference is felt going from 18->19 Strength
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552

Tresset said:

19 strength can be reached by any thief by the end of BGEE
    In the end yes. In the early and mid game 19 strength is an enormous advantage. Imo shorty saves are far from equally important in BGEE. In BG2 this is another story of course.

Now in any case fighter/thief is the strongest class in BGEE regardless of race so @ChildofBhaal599 just pick what you think is fun.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I just finished a F>T Dual run using Quarterstaffs. Dualled at 7 for the extra 1/2 APR. If you dual at 6 or remove the XP cap then you can get 4x backstabs, otherwise 3x is the best: you end up about 12-13k short of Thief 9, which is a bit galling.

To be honest, the game turned into a joke. By the end I had 19 STR, boosted to 22 with DUHM, Grandmastery in staves and 3x backstab. With Aule's Staff or the *shudder* Staff of Striking, things just die. Aec'Letec? Dead. Sarevok? Dead. It was fun for a while, but next time I run this character I'm actually gonna gimp some of my stats on purpose.

Basically, go multi instead of dual, unless you want to wreck everything in the game.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Fighter/Cleric would be a good choice for you also. To play the entire saga with I'd go with multi-class. Half-elf would be my choice (mainly for RP). (If it was just BG:EE I would go human and dual at Fighter 3, though.)

Half-orc Cleric/Thief is pretty darned awesome too. Bushwhack with the quarterstaff with 19 (20 with tome) Strength.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Thank u all for the recommendations. I think I have made the decision for an elf f/t multi. You've all been helpful :)

Thank u all for the recommendations. I think I have made the decision for an elf f/t multi. You've all been helpful :)

That's a solid choice, hope you have find with your character. BTW don't forget that (in BGEE anyway) as an elf you get +1 to hit with *all* swords (including scimitars, katanas, shortswords, even bastard swords and two-handed swords, though you can't backstab with the those two), though *not* daggers (but the dagger of venom is still great) and +1 to hit with all bows, apart from crossbows.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Elf F/T is great, as is Half-Orc, and Dwarf is actually kind of awesome as well.
  • FidlrFidlr Member Posts: 10
    Well, it depends on what you think is fun. But i would recommend the infamous Bezerker/cleric. He can tank pretty much anything, and the level 5 cleric spell Righteous Magic will make him into a true powerhouse