Skip to content

Aec'Letec Death Gaze & Protection From Petrification

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited April 2013 in Not An Issue
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Did she ever get killed by the death gaze? If not then this is just a portrait icon issue (fairly common). It also depends on if prot. from pet. was meant to protect from death gaze (not sure about that).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    death gaze doesn't petrify, it turns a character into a ghast so no, it doesn't help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    Samus said:

She did not die as I quickly removed it with a Protection against magic scroll (I never let my comrades die!)

I am also trying to establish whether prot. pet. is meant to do that or not. It may just be some advice incorrectly disseminated via the internet. I cannot recall if it worked in vanilla or not.

it doesn't
    @smeagolheart I keep hearing that the potion of mirrored eyes helps but I have never tried it. Does it?
    edited April 2013
    Tresset said:

@smeagolheart I keep hearing that the potion of mirrored eyes helps but I have never tried it. Does it?

@Tresset yes that is useful against gaze attacks including death and petrification gazes

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Ardanis
    Do you know if the spell "Protection from Petrification" is meant to protect against Death Gaze?
    p.png 1.4M
    edited April 2013
    edited April 2013
    Samus said:

But according to the description it works against petrification only so why would it work against the "gaze" if the gaze is not a petrification attack?

good evidence, devs should clean up the description as it's confusing / wrong compared to in game use.

I never knew the potion protected against Aec'Letec myself until I saw it posted around these parts and then tried it myself. I probably read the description and figured it didn't also back in the day.

edited April 2013
    I know what you mean bha... uh Samus When you cast prot. from petrification the log/console says:

CHARACTER-Gaze Reflection

Quite confusing...

Especially since a cursed scroll is not a gaze...
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Part of the confusion is that hold, paralyze, and petrification are not the same. Petrification generally means something fatal and permanent, i.e. the gaze of a basilisk. While hold and paralyze are technically different in the engine, for the most part stuff that protects against one generally protects against the other.

Aec'Letec has a paralyzation attack; anything that protects against hold should block this. Death Gaze is blocked by the potion of mirrored eyes, being a gaze attack. Death Gaze paralyzes (anti-hold stuff protects against this) but also includes an instant death-component, which AFAICT isn't blocked by anything. After 30 seconds the victim chunks and becomes a ghast unless dispelled. Aec'Letec also spams silence and vampiric touch and LOVES to target (via spells or attacks) any disabled party member.

All of its abilities are subject to magic resistance, and all but Vampiric Touch have saving throws. Protection from Petrification does nothing against his paralyzation and gaze. You'd be best served loading up on potions of mirrored eyes to prevent Death Gaze, or at least loading up on dispel magic to remove it. Beyond that, items or spells that prevent/remove hold (i.e. free action) or increase magic resistance would be your next set of buffs.

We should probably look at removing the 'gaze reflection' string from the spell, since it's definitely not a gaze reflector.
    CamDawg said:

Part of the confusion is that hold, paralyze, and petrification are not the same. Petrification generally means something fatal and permanent, i.e. the gaze of a basilisk. While hold and paralyze are technically different in the engine, for the most part stuff that protects against one generally protects against the other.

Aec'Letec has a paralyzation attack; anything that protects against hold should block this. Death Gaze is blocked by the potion of mirrored eyes, being a gaze attack. Death Gaze paralyzes (anti-hold stuff protects against this) but also includes an instant death-component, which AFAICT isn't blocked by anything. After 30 seconds the victim chunks and becomes a ghast unless dispelled. Aec'Letec also spams silence and vampiric touch and LOVES to target (via spells or attacks) any disabled party member.

All of its abilities are subject to magic resistance, and all but Vampiric Touch have saving throws. Protection from Petrification does nothing against his paralyzation and gaze. You'd be best served loading up on potions of mirrored eyes to prevent Death Gaze, or at least loading up on dispel magic to remove it. Beyond that, items or spells that prevent/remove hold (i.e. free action) or increase magic resistance would be your next set of buffs.

We should probably look at removing the 'gaze reflection' string from the spell, since it's definitely not a gaze reflector.

@CamDawg also please take a look at the screenshot of the post by Bhaaldog. Mirrored Eyes description only talks about protection from petrification
    We probably need to be a bit more complete, but it's accurate--it protects against petrification for one turn, but it also reflects gaze attacks.

CamDawg also please take a look at the screenshot of the post by Bhaaldog. Mirrored Eyes description only talks about protection from petrification

@smeagolheart *Samus

I know, it will take a bit of getting used to.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Potions of mirrored eyes + potions of freedom are kind of essential to that fight. You can also dispel the gaze effect, but he does it so often that it's only a useful method if you can kill him quickly and dispel afterward.
    @Jalily
    Can you tweaked the description of the potion? Many players are a bit confused about its effect. Something like "It works against XXX; it does not prevent XXX attacks" would be great.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    New description:
    This potion will protect the drinker from all forms of petrification and gaze attacks. The effect will last for 1 turn or until dispelled.

STATISTICS:

Special: Immune to petrification and gaze attacks
    Duration: 1 turn

Weight: 1
    @Jalily
    You rock, girl :)
    Can we update spell description too? Something like "However, it does not work against the death gaze of a tanar'ri".
    In this way, players will not have any doubt about this.
    Thanks for you patience. I know you want to kill me for being such a fussy :)
    edited April 2013
    Samus said:

Slightly off topic, but do tanar'ri in BG2 (I think Planar Sphere segment) receive this death gaze attack? If not I would probably make a feature request to spice things up :)

Well they do have a thing called "death gaze" but it is nothing like Aec's death gaze. They use it once per round and it does some minor fire damage to one character of their choice and if a save vs. death is failed they are held for several rounds.

From my understanding Aec is not your typical nabassu. He is actually extremely powerful considering the type of demon he is. I guess it makes some sense that he gets a more unique death gaze. Although from my understanding of the lore; all nabassu are supposed to get a death gaze similar to his.
    Post edited by Tresset on
    Aedan said:

@Jalily
    You rock, girl :)
    Can we update spell description too? Something like "However, it does not work against the death gaze of a tanar'ri".
    In this way, players will not have any doubt about this.
    Thanks for you patience. I know you want to kill me for being such a fussy :)

I'm not in favor of this at all, mainly because it's a massive spoiler, but also because I don't want to start weighing down all of our spell descriptions with miscellany.

@Samus
    Then why did you report this as a bug?

@CamDawg
    Sorry, but I fail to see where the "massive spoiler" is. It is a simple sentence that explains how the magic works. In the game there is a bunch of descriptions that state when the spell has effect or not.
    Also, no one is asking you to "weigh down all of our spell descriptions with miscellany".
    I think the updated description by @Jalily is fine
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Does free action protect against petrification?
  • ugobananasugobananas Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to dig up an old post but I've been hunting for a solution. I'm playing this time on Story Mode and when I get to Aec'Letec after I defeat him I dispel magic on everyone (even though looking at their status icons no one appears to have the death gaze effect). I've tried this about a dozen times now and every time one of my companions (or my character) dies. I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

First of all I thought in Story Mode, no one could die - in fact, the character still appears in my list of companions and is shown as healing, though their corpse and inventory are on the ground. Second - the dispel magic skill SHOULD work to remove the effect, but it doesn't even appear to be on the character in the first place. Anyone have any ideas?