Skip to content

Algernon's cloak - getting it without rep loss (spoilers)

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
Is 60 in pickpocketing plenty to lift Algernon's cloak? I do want the cloak. So if the pickpocket fails I'll have to wax him. But I'd prefer not to take a rep hit as my party's rep is now at 6. Does killing Algernon result in rep loss?

If I Charm him and have him attack Tranzig, that would be another way, I guess...

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Use a potion of master thievery first.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Don't have one handy. :/
    edited April 2013
    Well, you're at Beregost. I think Thalantyr sells them at High Hedge.

EDIT: Nevermind. I don't think it's sold in any stores until late in the game.
    Unfortunately they're not among his inventory. Still in chapter 2. I think I'd have to go to Durlag's and purchase from Erdaine to get one.
    Thalantyr has Potions of Perception, but they're costly at rep 6 with no party member with Cha higher than 11. And I don't think I have quite enough gold for one right now. I could make the trek to Durlag I guess...
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Do you have enough gold for Friends? That brings Edwin at least to 16 charisma, and after you get the cloak, to 18. Not that it's a big help now, but in the long run, you need a shopface and from the NPCs you rolled, no-one really stands out, so it has to be with Friends spell.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    If you are okay reloading a few times, 60 should be enough I think. Otherwise you will want a potion. Also note that potions of Mind Focusing give you +3 Dex (+15% pp) though they are pretty rare and might be better used in combat (or to learn spells with +3 Int).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you are not ok with reloading knock him out with unarmed attacks and then continously attempt to pickpocket. you won't lose rep that way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Keep in mind that if your PP fails the "new" Algernon may disappear entirely if you can't manage to kill him right away.

First time I tried to get the cloak in BGEE we failed the PP and he ran downstairs - we followed and chased him around the room a bit and he ran back upstairs and apparently disappeared forever...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Erm, use ranged weapons?? What hp does he have? His ac wasnt amazing.
    DreadKhan said:

Erm, use ranged weapons?? What hp does he have? His ac wasnt amazing.

Since when do ranged weapons prevent the rep drop?

edited April 2013
    Another question re: Algernon's cloak: is there still no save against it for most enemies in BG:EE?

My thought is to possibly use it on Mulahey. I'm running a trio in a no-reload game (Assassin, Monataon, Edwin). I know the cloak got nerfed to one casting per day. (Which, personally, is fine with me, it was way OP.) But is it still as effective as it was in vanilla?

One strategy I'm considering is to charm Mulahey before he can summon his minions. Then backstab with a Poisoned weapon and have Edwin cast Blindness and Horror.

If I go the Algie's cloak route, I'll have to make a run to Durlag's to buy some potions of master thievery.
    @Lemernis - I once had Oublek (!) save against the cloak charm. Can't remember anything else, but apparently it is possible to save against it.
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    -Steal something to summon the Flamming Fist
    -Charm Algernon
    -Move him next to the FF so they'll kill him

You wont suffer reputation loss for his death this way
    I just went to Durlag's and found that the potion of master thievery doesn't increase pickpocketing. The potion of perception does (by 20%) which Thalantyr sells, lol.

@Neonfisk I may actually give that a try!
    edited April 2013
    nm
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    I pickpocket him regularly with base like 25 in PP that monty and imoen start with rather successfully. You should be fine at 60. If not, oh well. No risk no reward.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Imeon's base PP enough to steal it more then half the time.
    I just tried it with pickpocket at 65 and it worked first try. Could have been lucky though.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    With every character I've run through so far..(3 :) ) I've been able to picpoc on first try. Though the last one one I had to use Imeon and reload twice to get it. No loss of reputation.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    try putting him to sleep, and then pickpocketing him?
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    hmm. not that i wanna bump this, but you're saying algernon (or anyone else) wont turn hostile if you cast charm / sleep? also, is he in the same area as Tranzig, so you can charm Algernon and have the mage kill him?
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    raelcari said:

also, is he in the same area as Tranzig, so you can charm Algernon and have the mage kill him?

That might actually be the best way to do it - no worries about cleaning up FF's.

When charm ends the target will become hostile (I believe resting will reset the "mood" of the target).
    Sleep only works on hostile targets, unless you use Command (which should make him hostile).
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Try using the spell color spray on him, then picking his pocket. I've read where color spray does not turn the NPC hostile if it succeeds. Only one way to find out.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @franco It does make them hostile.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    @Tresset. There was a thread on here earlier today where a few people were saying it didn't. But, of course I'll take your word for it. Thanks.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Recruit Garrick down the street. He should have a respectable pick pick pocket score.

Or, just save before trying and reload if you fail.

I have stolen it with a 40 pick pocket, but often need to reload.
  • UlvarylUlvaryl Member Posts: 217
    Klorox said:

Or, just save before trying and reload if you fail.

I have stolen it with a 40 pick pocket, but often need to reload.

This.