Skip to content

The Dark Three (The Dead Three)

Ever since the first time I first read about Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul, I have been fascinated with their story. I always thought to myself how much it would have made a good novel.

So my question to Forgotten Realms scholars out there is this: How much do we actually know about these three when they were mortals?

We know an awful lot about them as gods, including their chosen avatars etc, but very little about them beforehand away from the story of how they became gods.

So far I have discovered just a few things.

A) They were all most likely human (Bane and Myrkul definitely. No information for Bhaal though).
B) Myrkul was from eastern Faerun - his full name is Myrkul Bey al-Kursi and he was the crown prince of Murghom.
C) Bhaal was a LE assassin, Bane was a LE fighter and Myrkul was a powerful NE necromancer.
D) Bhaal favoured the bone dagger and throwing daggers. Bane favoured a black gauntlet (and possibly a mace?), and Myrkul used a scythe as a god, but more than likely a staff as a human (I may have made that last bit about staffs up :P).
E) They were friends...somewhat.
F) Well that's about as far as i've gotten...

I'm asking because I am planning to draw an illustration of the three. If anybody has any more information other than the tidbits I know then feel free to help me out. Any information on mortal DnD stats? Appearance?

Thanks all,

EXII

Comments

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @Samus Really? Where can I find this information? Thanks Samus.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I think a full HBO series of a God`s Saga would be fantastic, running from The Dead Three, the Time of Troubles, and the Bhaalspawn Saga. I`d watch the hell of out it.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2013
    @EntropyXII Samus used to go by the moniker of BhallDog... so take it with a grin. That being said here is a link to a really good wiki on the Dead Three:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Three

Also @LadyRhian has a ton of sourcebooks and may be able to offer more insight into your queries.
    @Fighting_Ferret Aha! I figured something was up. I thought Samus was being serious at first but then when people hit the like button on the comment.. well I knew something was afoot! Subsequent searches for "Bhaal has a dog?", "Dog of Bhaal" and "Hound of Murder" came to nothing... sigh... I figured I should just be quiet after that..

I have all of 3rd edition books and most of 2nd. I don't know much about 1st edition but i'd read somewhere that Bhaal was one of Ed Greenwood's earliest creations. If @LadyRhian know's anything i'd be grateful. Looking more at specifics. Especially whether or not Bhaal was human, if Bane ever used a mace as well as a gauntlet and so on. I know that they must have been over level 30 each - as in old PnP that was the level a mortal needed to be before he/she could ascend to divinity.
    @LadyRhian aha, interesting. Were specifics mentioned in 1ed? Bhaal's weapons? Bane's weapons? appearance? Like I said, I know practically nothing of 1e and most sources are becoming difficult to find.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It does make us wonder about them, doesn't it?

However, I also think that it is actually the mistery what makes us so interested in their story.

If he were alive, I'd hire H.P. Lovecraft to write about them.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    You can think about their looks and facial expressions if you think about their characters, based on Avatar trilogy books.

Bhaal is extremely sadistic, he enjoys killing but also enjoys causing as much as pain possible while at it. Think about a horrible slasher smile with piercing, threatening eyes and bloody bone daggers. He is so much stronger than his slender body looks, and quite crafty with that dagger.

Bane is a tyrant that enjoys people bowing down to him, and is always careful never to show any weakness or mercy to anyone. He looks to be an arrogant bastard with attitude and strength to back it up. He is well built, buff and looks impressive and scary in his suit of armor.

To Myrkul, lives of sentient beings have no value, the spirits and life forces of people are just his tools to empower his spells. He looks non-chalant and unimpressed most of the time, and almost skeletal-gaunt in appearance. And he has an aura as cold as grave.

That's how I picture them in my mind ^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @EntropyXII In the original article, Bhaal is armed with a dagger, that when it strikes something, causes the wounded area to wither. It is also said that Bhaal rarely appears to worshippers or others, but is depicted by priests as a bloody, mutilated corpse with a feral face and silent movements. It is said that every murder done strengthens Bhaal. Myrkul is lord of the dead; Bhaal is the lord of death itself, the act of killing. The article also says Loviatar, Talona, and Malar serve Bane through Bhaal (although Loviatar and Talona are rivals). Bhaal and Myrkul have an unbreakable, symbiotic alliance.

The name of the article was "Down to Earth Divinity".
    edited April 2013
    @Lunar Myrkul is described in the same article as appearing dead, from skeletal at his head, to more like a zombie, with decayed, rotting flesh at his feet. Bane is another God, according to the article in Dragon #54, that is never seen by mortals, but has a black, freezing, taloned hand and with eyes that burn like fire.

Also, according to one source, The Dead Three ascended to being Gods in -339 DaleReckoning (aka DR). This was after the fall of Netheril, because Jergal was God of the Dead in Netheril.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    @Samus That was in D&D (before AD&D- the Basic/Expert sets). Our GM had just gotten the DMG, with the gambling tables in the back, and made me roll 3d8. I rolled three eights, and got it all back. I was NOT happy! (Can you imagine dragging a sack of 1 million plus gold pieces around? Now imagine dragging a sack with 20 times that amount!) And this was after building a castle....
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    @LadyRhianLadyRhian That last part of the story about your character becoming a god via gambling is one of the best stories of godhood I have ever heard. Sadly, I imagine she would be pretty much obligated to become the goddess of gambling.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

@LadyRhianLadyRhian That last part of the story about your character becoming a god via gambling is one of the best stories of godhood I have ever heard. Sadly, I imagine she would be pretty much obligated to become the goddess of gambling.

Or at least luck with a warning of being too lucky does come with consequences.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @LadyRhian I was just thinking about how they looked as mortals, before they ascended and became gods. :-) In Avatar Trilogy Myrkul's avatar does indeed look undead, so when he was an adventurer I like to think he was gaunt, with hollow cheeks, sunken eyes, white skin etc. Almost like a corpse, but not fully, ofcourse. ^^ I like to think Bane looked arrogant and charismatic (maybe like Fzoul Chemberly?) while Bhaal looked ghastly and horrifying even when he was a mortal. Are there any info about their appearance/demeanor when they were mortal adventures? It's fun to think.
    @Necromancer, @Deltago Nope, Goddess of Fighters. But I was annoyed as well because I had to start over with a new character. Zenobia was my first character, named after Zenobia of Palmyra, with flaming red hair and green eyes. Strength 14. She was the strongest character in the party, believe it or not. She became the Goddess Zenobia, who wielded the Sword of Zenobia, +7 to hit, +25 to damage. :)
    @Lunar Possibly. Most gods abandon their human forms, at least eventually. Witness Midnight/Mystra and Kelemvor after the time of troubles. Later, Kelemvor gave up his human form.
    edited April 2013
    @lunar ahh nice, I like your descriptions. Great ideas all around!

I always imagined Bhaal to look like my profile picture. As the ultimate assassin (and killer) he was likely charismatic himself. Bhaal would have had that 'serial killer' facade, able to hide or blend in at will, but also with an ability to easily put himself into any environment, switching between charm and cruelty at will. I imagine as he grew in power, he would allow his darker side to emerge more often.
    @EntropyXII Well, Bane would be a standard fighter... but you might want to make him the "Dark fighter in Black armor with glowing eyes" that Sarevok rocked when he was alive, Bhaal, being an assassin, would be outfitted more like a thief, since Assassins were evil thieves who specialized in killing, and Myrkul could definitely be tall and thin, with lots of skeletal/bony motifs on his robes, robed in gray and/or black. There used to be a class in 1e introduced in Dragon Magazine called a "Death Master", with a quote something along the lines of "The difference between a Necromancer and a Death Master is the difference between raising a corpse and making love to it". The picture in the article has the Death Master with a scythe for a staff, which would probably also be relevant to Myrkul.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    LadyRhian said:

@EntropyXII The difference between a Necromancer and a Death Master is the difference between raising a corpse and making love to it"

Metal
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I always thought that was the difference between a Necromancer and a Necrophile, but it's always nice to be proven wrong.
    @Eudaemonium You may be right, but Death Masters got to make all sorts of undead, even the really weird ones like Ju-ju Zombies. "Normal" Necromancers got to make skeletons and zombies... and that was about it.