Skip to content

Any word on the next patch?

EketEket Member Posts: 69
It has been 2 months since the last patch. There are still plenty of bugs and performance(renderer) issues that have to be fixed... On the ipad i can't even finish that quest in the beginning where you have to get the scroll, and with no console to get around in...
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• FrancescoTFrancescoT Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2013
    I know Devs are working hard on BG2:EE but I also know that I will not preorder it like I did for BG:EE and I will only buy it a couple of month or better a couple of patch after release. Before working on the next product to sell, it should be better to FIX the product already sold.

After a couple of months delay on release, officially for more testing, and SEVEN patchs, the game now is working enough good but still a lot of stuff remain that make a customer not so happy about the purchase. Few examples:
    - one of the very first quest is bugged (I know, there is a hotfix on the forum and I've used it to fix it, but I'm supposed to spend time to play the game not to fix it);
    - the journal is barely usable, to scroll it and read it you have put your mouse pointer on the invisible scroolbar, some pixels width, that let you to scroll it and not to edit any entry. I can only guess how painfull it is to do it on a iPad;
    - the quest/done quest entry sometimes don't show up (Xvart Raids done) or when are done show up again in quests list after some interaction with casual NPC (Basillus killed and money taken from temple and after talk to some commoner in Beregost it's again an open quest. The same behaviour for Guard Captain in Nashkel);
    - when talking to a familiar (uninjured) that keep saying that is injured;
    - stackable items (gems) sometimes lose quantity (Anyway why I can stack rings/necklacks in gem bag but I cannot stack them in normal inventory?)

Blue and gray post guys said that there will be a lot of fix in the next patch.. since 2 month ago. It's not time to have them? As a customer, I don't mind if there are bugs in a software (anyone perfect), but I would like to see them fixed regularly, every 1 or 2 weeks till needed, even few every time than to wait months for a possible big update. Because now seems that Devs forgot BG:EE to work on BG2:EE..

Soon it's not a good answer, end of April, in May, in June or even never is a good answer. Just to know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @FrancescoT Believe me, we have NOT in the least bit forgotten about BG1:EE. We are working hard on both a patch for BG1:EE and BG2:EE right now.
    @Tresset I believe you, but from a customer point of view, your telling me that you didn't finish yet to fix the product I've already bought because you are also working for the next product you want to sell me. This rise the question: why I'm suppose to buy the next prodcut if the one I have is not working as it should?

It's just bad advertising, because now the best course of action for a customer is not to preorder, not to buy on release but to wait 4/6 month after release to buy a product tested by final users and patched close to a enjoyable playing session.

After the release, the patches came out every 1 or 2 weeks, at least showing that, even if there were some problems (more than enough to review your beta testing procedures anyvay), there were frequent visible improvements.
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    I've played since release and I haven't had any problems that have stopped me from enjoying the game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    @FrancescoT

Pretty much sums it up, regarding the current issues left unfixed. As @PinkRose states it's not issues that ruins the joy of the game. Just had a all quest/all areas/all NPC's playthrough. Everything but the mentioned works as intented.

Which leaves me with a feeling that the few missing corrections - and they are few, would be quite easy to solve and fix.

So indeed why not just fix them on a whim, please the already happy customers, and go all in on BG:EE 2?

Sounds like a strategy worth pursuing.

Only thing that would prevent it, would be the fact that the issues mentioned indeed were hard or complex to fix.

• althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    Seriously, fix the Tethoril* quest. Or make it so you can rollback an update. That last update took out the very first quest of the game...
    I had no complaints and have played through EE several times, after a month or so break I decided to start a new game. Uploaded the new update and rolled my character and boom, quest broke.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    My guess/hope is that they're working hard++ on the renderer, which is why things are taking so long.

I expect BG2EE to be smoother because the engine is identical and has already been rebuilt & fiddled with.
    So still no patch (https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/304936/#Comment_304936). On pc version render works just fine, I'll ask for just bug fixes, please :) .

It's not fair, the only week my wife is at her parent's place and I could play without interference.. no patch :( .. this occasion will happen again on next Halley's comet passing..
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279

So still no patch (https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/304936/#Comment_304936). On pc version render works just fine, I'll ask for just bug fixes, please :) .

It's not fair, the only week my wife is at her parent's place and I could play without interference.. no patch :( .. this occasion will happen again on next Halley's comet passing..

Strange, Firefox doesn't trust that link. I believe they are reworking on the rendering this time. I really hope this game gets totally fixed, it's such a classic. The developers have done a wonderful job, but it's still lacking some shining.
    Necdilzor said:

Strange, Firefox doesn't trust that link. I believe they are reworking on the rendering this time. I really hope this game gets totally fixed, it's such a classic. The developers have done a wonderful job, but it's still lacking some shining.
    For the link, they have some problem on https certification for the forum ("The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.").
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    I want to play a shadow dancer but its broke and was wondering if there was any info about a new patch's eta?
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    Broke... it's awesome! It's so awesome in fact that they need to fix it or all other classes become obsolete.
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    What exactly are the issues with Shadow dancer and i know someone's done a temporary fix.Tresset i believe.Is the kit too good or not good enough.Wouldn't mind giving it a roll.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

Broke... it's awesome! It's so awesome in fact that they need to fix it or all other classes become obsolete.

It'd be nice if the Shadow Step ability worked during combat.
    Ah,question answered.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Banex there were other bugs but I would actually discourage downloading my fixes now that I have found out that they mess up the SD's backstab in the upcoming patch. The patch should be here soon enough anyway.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    The class is too good as you can hide immediately after backstabbing and never even be seen. Shadow step is broken, but it is meant as a get out of danger when hide in plain sight fails.

Once you get decent scores in Hide in Shadows and more importantly Move Silently you cannot be attacked without a failed stealth roll after attacking something.

The major power is the ability to hide so quickly and while in view of enemies. The next thing... which is a bug, but as long as hiding works as it currently does is more of a convenience, is that your backstab multiplier is that of a normal thief...and not lower as the kit says. I didn't use shadowstep, but it is supposed to work in combat to give you a 7 second timestop effect to do non-offensive things (retreat, hide again, drink a potion, etc...) but it is broken and doesn't allow you to use it in combat currently, so it is basically useless.

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581

I know Devs are working hard on BG2:EE but I also know that I will not preorder it like I did for BG:EE and I will only buy it a couple of month or better a couple of patch after release. Before working on the next product to sell, it should be better to FIX the product already sold.

After a couple of months delay on release, officially for more testing, and SEVEN patchs, the game now is working enough good but still a lot of stuff remain that make a customer not so happy about the purchase. Few examples:
    - one of the very first quest is bugged (I know, there is a hotfix on the forum and I've used it to fix it, but I'm supposed to spend time to play the game not to fix it);
    - the journal is barely usable, to scroll it and read it you have put your mouse pointer on the invisible scroolbar, some pixels width, that let you to scroll it and not to edit any entry. I can only guess how painfull it is to do it on a iPad;
    - the quest/done quest entry sometimes don't show up (Xvart Raids done) or when are done show up again in quests list after some interaction with casual NPC (Basillus killed and money taken from temple and after talk to some commoner in Beregost it's again an open quest. The same behaviour for Guard Captain in Nashkel);
    - when talking to a familiar (uninjured) that keep saying that is injured;
    - stackable items (gems) sometimes lose quantity (Anyway why I can stack rings/necklacks in gem bag but I cannot stack them in normal inventory?)

Blue and gray post guys said that there will be a lot of fix in the next patch.. since 2 month ago. It's not time to have them? As a customer, I don't mind if there are bugs in a software (anyone perfect), but I would like to see them fixed regularly, every 1 or 2 weeks till needed, even few every time than to wait months for a possible big update. Because now seems that Devs forgot BG:EE to work on BG2:EE..

Soon it's not a good answer, end of April, in May, in June or even never is a good answer. Just to know.

Couldn't agree more. It's troubling to see that there isn't more of a push in the forums for information regarding the next patch. Yes, we know there are those of you that turn a blind eye to problems, but there are objectively things wrong with the game right now.

1) New kits are broken
    2) New journal system not detecting all questions initiated / completed / failed and clearing them
    3) numerous quest problems as quoted above
    4) stackable items / containers issues
    5) spellbook spell icon art that very much needs to be updated, and the resources to do it are already IN TH GAME
    6) a half-assed big screen mode. give us hybrid mode, dammit!
    7) multiplayer match-making is STILL not implemented. This was promised to be in from the start!

Honestly, the worst part is the transparency. We're getting practically no information, and we don't know whats coming for us or when. Obviously the team over-promised, but they need to address it and at least comment on SOME deliverables and SOME time-line. This business over Atari going bankrupt might have put them in a bind, but they should be making a better effort to communicate with the fanbase. Tweats ain't cutting it @TrentOster

• DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    since the last patch i just can't play the game...epic morale failure...i admit i know nothing about how games are made or bugs are fixed, so maybe i'm missing something...but when a patch breaks the first quest in the game and they seemingly didn't play test it enought to find out, or didn't care enough to fix it before giving us the patch...i begin to wonder why i shouldn't go back to the gog versions and save myself the inevitable disappointment that is to come...
    edited May 2013
    This version of BG has never been fully broken and the quest you speak of.50 xp,come on.There's a modded fix for that until the patch also.So either a fail for an attempted troll or fail for a wind up.Some of the new kits are broken and maybe a hiccup or two in the new NPC quests but i would say that's fair enough it's new content.
    @Cerevant

I preorder the game and I played it since release and QA was crap, no doubt about it. SEVEN patches in 5 months testify it. Or maybe QA did a good job and found all the bugs that were in release but you decided to go live anyvay after 2 month+ delay from original release date because you want to polish the game.. which option is worse?

I'm a software developer too, but for banks, and our process, KPI and success indicator are more strict and different from gaming industry. So maybe I'm pretending too much from you, but if you are working even at night and during week ends to fix a software that wasn't new, that worked enough fine in his original version plus mod and now, after some enhanced and new content, needs at least 8 patches to be fixed, there is something wrong in your company internal process. I'm working all the time on legacy software that banks don't want to dismiss and if adding some new feature I'll introduce so many new bug I'll be fired right away.

I will not complain if you give us a schedule for patch and after need to pospone it.. if you give clear reason like we did this, this and this but after we found this problem so we need a little more time,

I'm asking just for some more clear communication, what you did, what are you doing and what needs to be done. If some new problem arise fine, we know about it so take your time to fix it.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Well, I'm not going to dive off on the software quality tangent again - I think I've said my piece on that subject (well before I joined the Beamdog staff).

Since that time, Beamdog managment has grown their development and QA staff, both contract and permanent, and have committed themselves to improving the general quality of the software.

Right now I'm just struggling to reconcile your complaint that there have been too many patches, with the complaint that we aren't releasing the patches quickly enough.

• DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Really hoping we see the patch soon, especially the matchmaking implication... my friends from high school who I played D&D back then (now were all spread out across the country) bought this game day 1 so we could play together online with Skype and kind of relive the good old days, but sadly we haven't been able to get the TCP/IP thing to work either, so like the rest of us I'm really hoping we see a matchmaking patch some time soon.
    @Cerevant

Complain about too many patches was refered to questionable development or QA before release that Beamdog is working to fix, as you said, hiring new people.

Complain about not releasing patches enough faster was refered to the fact that after releasing a Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition "Beta" we are still waiting for Baldur's Gate: Enhance Edition "Release Candidate". In the meantime is too much asking to have a post a week from a DEV to say how the things are going?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @FrancescoT
    Any post you see from someone with a blue background is a post from a developer; I haven't looked to make sure, but we do post somewhat frequently on the boards, and often times we offer some insight as to where things stand.

Any time you're working on a commercial product, however, you need to be careful of how much you reveal. I could say, for instance, that we have five new kits that are going into the next patch, which would make a lot of people happy--but then what happens if one or all of those kits ends up having a lot of bugs in it, and we decide not to include them yet?

We're working hard to make sure each patch includes enough to make it worthwhile with AppStore and Steam approval times. There are a lot of threads asking for information about the next patch, and we post in them when we have time.
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    "Why must we wait here? Things stir to the south as we speak!"