Skip to content

Ettercap, Ghast, Ghoul

My question is really rather simple... These are 3 types of "undead" creatures that look very similar. What were they before they were undead? Were they the same and it's like a human could become a lich, skeleton, ghost or vampire, depending on who makes them undead/how they are rendered undead? Were ettercaps, ghasts and ghouls humans, too?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited April 2013
    Ettercaps aren't undead though. They are just ettercaps.

http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00098.htm

As for ghouls and ghasts they were supposedly human (or elf or whatever) before their transformation.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Oh. My true weakness shows: Weak eyesight. (I should write the official BG novel... a near-blind Beholder Paladin of Helm!) To me, ettercaps look very very much like the other two, so I assumed they are undead, too.

Anyway, this answers my question; the Special Ghoul Sale doesn't offer such a bargain. I'll wait for Ghast Weeks then.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2013
    Ghouls and ghasts used to be evil, corrupted, gruesome people who enjoyed murder, and even cannibalism. Also, a person killed by a ghoul will rise again as a ghoul, so they can multiply in this way. However, most victims of a ghoul will be devoured so there won't be anything left for a new ghoul to be animated. Wraiths and spectres can create their spawn if they kill the victim with their energy drain attack. Ditto for vampires. Most undead tend to create spawns like this. Also, the fell Death gaze of a Nabassu demon can turn even the noblest man into a ghast. Most ghasts in Durlag's tower are victims of Aec'letec.

Info about ghouls/ghasts:
    http://lomion.de/cmm/ghoul.php

An example ghast with backstory:
    http://lomion.de/cmm/ghoughjh.php

Ettercaps have never been human, nor they are undead. They are poisonous, aggresivemonsters with an affinity to spiders and trapping people with devious web traps.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Also each of those creatures (and more) have a description in the game manual found in the game files.
    I'm aware of the in game description. I was more looking for background info why some may end up as a ghast and others as a ghoul.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Ghouls may be ghoulish, but ghasts can be ghastly.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    it'd be nice if every ghast didn't look like every other ghast. They all look like the same dead fat hunched over guy to me.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited April 2013
    Now that's a bloody Ghoul:

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited May 2013
    Ghasts are victims of their own endless appetites for consumption. The smell of a ghast can sicken you, whereas a ghoul eats flesh to fill the new emptiness after death. Ghouls can paralyze anyone but an elf with their touch, whereas a ghast, who is both more powerful and smarter, can even paralyze elves. Essentially, a ghast is a more powerful ghoul: smarter, stronger and better able to use its powers. They should look indistinguishable from ghasts, but I guess the game makers wanted to warn us that this was something different.
    Post edited by LadyRhian on
    Guess they succeeded in my case, I can hardly tell them apart. :D