Skip to content

What about this Portrait for Khalid?

francofranco Member Posts: 507
After several years of not playing BG1, I bought the new BGEE version. The ease of use of the new game, coupled with the better graphics, the new kits and NPC's renewed my desire to play the game. But I wanted to refresh even the way the old characters from BG1 appeared in BGEE to add to the freshness of the game.

For one, I often had to swallow hard to play with Coran, because I didn't like his portrait at all. In addition, Khalid's portrait wasn't too inspiring to me and it added to the feeling that he wasn't really ok as one of my party's Fighters.

But I set out to changing the portraits of some of the leading NPC's to get a visual experience that would be more pleasing in the new BGEE. I particularly like a Portrait I found of an elf in armor, and I felt it tended to fit Khalid's personality, but in a way that inspired a new respect for him. Now I know these things are highly subjective and many may disagree, but I'd like to show it below for those who might like it.

Please let me know what you feel about it.

Comments

• francofranco Member Posts: 507
    If you want to pick up this portrait, It is available at the following link in the section Portraits (Canou):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gsn24bgwwu0gyqw/bV-5phrjwu

or

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gsn24bgwwu0gyqw/nRPPWzI8FI/Portraits (Canou)/Elf & Half-elf

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited May 2013
    I like it as a portrait, but isn't it a bit self confident for khalid?

I would make it a really cool custom npc portrait!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I prefer portraits that have the same aspect ratio as the originals personally
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you @KidCarnival. I kept imagining that Khalid had to be more than he sounded. There had to be some more 'there' there. After all, @Samus has shown us a campaign where he scored more kills than anyone else in the party. Here he's represented in a more charismatic moment when he relaxes knowing he's done a good job. After all, perhaps to marry him Jaheira had to see him in some moments like this.
    Post edited by franco on
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    @KidCarnival: I disagree with your thoughts on the original Khalid portrait. To me, it looked more like he was concentrating on an enemy in battle. Not that there is anything wrong with the other portrait, of course, it's very good.:)
    Khalid wasn't a coward, rather a man who simply suffered from a lack of self-esteem, due to his upbringing by a neglectful father.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    That portrait looks better than Khalid's default.

But I always pictured him to look like Joxer the Mighty.
    edited May 2013
    @Samus. I didn't say anywhere in my posts that Khalid's original portrait looked cowardly. That statement was introduced in another poster's statements. I did say that the new portrait I'm using was now more pleasing to me and inspired new respect for him. I did point out that you had in fact shown he could be a great fighter and I introduced the thought that, to marry him, Jaheira had probably seen him in more charismatic moments similar to the portrait I was now using.

@Samus, as you requested,here is the portrait of Imoen I've been using in BG1:

I like it because it softens her features to be more natural and shows a bit more of her vulnerability.

My plan, though, is to use the following portrait to represent Imoen in BG2EE when she is more experienced.

They can be found at the same link I gave above. I hope you like them.
    Post edited by franco on
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    To me, Shar-Teel looks like she's concentrating in a battle. Khalid looks like he's ducking or fleeing.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    This is some good work. I really like Imoen's new portrait.

Just to be sure though, what do we need to do to replace a portrait of existing characters ? Can we just place it in the override folder like the ones for Charname, or d i need to do something else ?
    Thanks
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited May 2013
    Palanthis said:

This is some good work. I really like Imoen's new portrait.

Just to be sure though, what do we need to do to replace a portrait of existing characters ? Can we just place it in the override folder like the ones for Charname, or d i need to do something else ?
    Thanks

You have to name them properly (usually character's name* + L/M/S (depending on the size), and the portraits must be in BMP format), but yes.

* The following exceptions exist:

Branwen : BRANWE
    Dynaheir : DYNAHEI
    Montaron : MONTAR
    Shar-teel : SHARTEL
    edited May 2013
    Ok, thanks. by the way, i spoke nonsense, the actual procedure for portraits is to place them in the Baldur's portraits folder, in "My Documents."
    I guess this is also true for these portraits then.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

Khalid looks like he's ducking or fleeing.

Because he's a freaking crybaby. I always imagined him as some sort of Legolas, if you get what I mean...
    edited May 2013
    God said:

Because he's a freaking crybaby. I always imagined him as some sort of Legolas, if you get what I mean...

Except he doesn't even know to surf with a shield on stairs while shooting arrows.
    BUT : Khalid is married to Jaheira, while Legolas seems more interested in men, especially dwarves who like to drink.
    Of course this is what the movie implies, not Tolkien ^^
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited May 2013
    Seems a bit too confident and brash. Khalid would have a more reserved, humble appearance, due to his passive-aggressive personality and timidness. Other then that, looks alright.... (think Fenthik from NWN, except dressed like a warrior, instead of a priest)

Kind of like Gandhi...cool, reserved, peaceful..and then when ^#%& gets real, out come the Nukes.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2013
    Actually, I rather like the stock portrait for Khalid. For all we know he's fighting Aec'Letec there. He's got some adrenaline flowing in him, that's for sure. But he's not shrinking from whatever he's fighting. It's an honest emotional reaction to an imminent risk of possibly losing his life in the next moments.

The fact that Khalid struggles with self-confidence yet rises to the occasion and excels (he is in fact an excellent swordsman) endears him to me. He's a much more interesting literary character than, say, Kagain, who is by comparison one-dimensional.

For Imoen I like the portrait found here (L, M and S .bmp sized for BG:EE). Although for just a BG:EE game I don't mind using her stock portrait either. When I played BGT games I would always use the one linked above, though, for the sake of continuity.

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I picture Khalid as a soft-spoken, kind and humble guy. But when it is neccesary, he gets the things done. He is no berserking hulk of destruction, but neither he is a wimp.
    edited May 2013
    lunar said:

I picture Khalid as a soft-spoken, kind and humble guy. But when it is neccesary, he gets the things done. He is no berserking hulk of destruction, but neither he is a wimp.

I agree with your statement totally, and he becomes an endearing character. What does bother me though is his voiceset. It conveys too much of the wrong qualities often attributed to Khalid here and not enough of his capabilities. He is a reliable ally. Sometimes I wish he were around for BG2.
    Lemernis said:

Actually, I rather like the stock portrait for Khalid. For all we know he's fighting Aec'Letec there. He's got some adrenaline flowing in him, that's for sure. But he's not shrinking from whatever he's fighting. It's an honest emotional reaction to an imminent risk of possibly losing his life in the next moments.

I also agree with you about the stock portrait. Khalid appears to be in an intense battle, though a bit apprehensive. I think to me It's just something subjective about the newer portrait that is rendered in a realistic style and conveys in its demeanor his kindness and reliability. But that's art, it strikes us individually in very personal ways.

Post edited by franco on
    @Samus. You're right. If Khalid were in BG2, the Jaheira romance would have to be removed. We could leave that kind of stuff to French or Italian movies.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited May 2013
    khalid = this

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Was about to say, Khalid doesn't look scared enough in that portrait for it to fit him.
    edited May 2013
    Khalid

Post edited by CoM_Solaufein on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2013
    @Samus @franco With Ascension and Turnabout mods installed, you get to choose to summon forth old, dead allies for the very final, epic battle at the Throne. In each pool, you get a choice:Dynaheir (good) or Xzar (evil). Gorion (good cleric/mage, foster father) or Alianna (the canon mother, evil cleric) and Khalid (good) or Tiax (evil). If you choose Khalid and Jaheira is in romance with you, Jaheira intervenes and says outright 'what are you thinking, don't do this! Leave the dead to rest!' but you can reply 'I need a reliable ally in the battle to come. And Khalid has been a loyal friend.' or something like that, and when Khalid comes, he has interesting things to say...he was kinda aware of Jaheira moving on, and being with charname, (as in implied in Jaheira's dreams, that Khalid was watching her and charname from a distance, and looked happy for her) and that they will have a lot of stuff to talk about later, but right now he will do everything in his power to defend you, for he has not forgotten his promise to Gorion to protect you. He is that reliable and nice.
    Khalid the Mighty
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    lunar said:

Yes that's the description of Khalid.

Even if he reluctantly battles, he still have the will to stand for his ideas... of course when he does not flees because of the PC's mislead.