Skip to content

thoughts on bioware today

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic
messed up on the last one, lets try this again. sorry, haven't made a poll before

baldur's gate gave bioware a fanbase, and i thought that i would ask this here because all of you seem the most "core" fans i can think of. bioware has changed over the years, and are now owned by ea. and today they have lost much of their fanbase to their 3 most recent games:
mass effect 3- ending (to end... like this?), romances destroyed (thane dead, jacob cheats on your), decisions not mattering (rachni show up even if killed in ME1), less rpg elements, multiplayer must be played to get the best ending (before extended cut dlc)
dragon age 2- change from tactical combat to a more hack and slash style, outright being lazy (one cave environment just got repeated and sections blocked off to make all of the caves, and some environment you just revisit too often)
swtor- didn't innovate from mmo's as they said it would, subscription based made many not even want to play

so, you long term bioware fans from baldur's gate. how is your image of bioware today. how have they changed you opinion since they created our beloved baldur's gate

also, please be civil. we all know the rules. i don't even care if you have a different opinion, i just thought that it is right that we can see what bioware's long time fans think.
  1. thoughts on bioware today79 votes
    1. i like bioware to this day
        7.59%
    2. i never really became a fan and followed there stuff. they are just another company who happened to make a game i like
      10.13%
    3. i think my hate is just because they are with ea. they can redeem themselves by leaving them
      12.66%
    4. one more mistake and i am gone. dragon age 3 better be good
      11.39%
    5. i left them with dragon age 2
      17.72%
    6. i left them with mass effect 3
        6.33%
    7. i left them before any of those 3 games
        5.06%
    8. i really dislike some of their new stuff (multiplayer being forced into games), but overall i still like them
      13.92%
    9. don't vote, see results
      15.19%
Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    EA is a bad master to have. If they could cut ties they might be able to turn it around.
    That said, ME3's endin was AWFUL and ruined the entire ME Trilogy for me.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well, i left them with me3. dragon age 2 was actually a little fun, but it didn't last past the first chapter because at that point things got repeatitive. however i joined their fanbase with mass effect 1, so that was the big deal to me. when they messed up mass effect 3, now it felt personal. i am so lucky that in my time as a fan i decided to try baldur's gate, due to all the positive comments i saw all over the place. it shows what they can do, but they need to really put more effort into their games in the future
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited May 2013
    i used to realy like bioware but da2, mass effect 3 and some other queestionable practices changed that now theyre just another mediocre devloper i wont swear of them ill just do what i do with most other companies and only buy stuff im 100% sure of or once it has been heavily discounted

seeing as da3 is using a human only protagonist, with voice and paraphrasing its not looking good to me i think itll be a 5£ purchase
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    All their games have been rehashes of the BG formula, with slight modifications here and there, to appeal to different tastes (Graphics-whores, and FPS-whores mainly, and a couple games that sucked, but had Jedi in them, so that's auto-buy for certain groups (HK-47 being the only slightly redeeming factor of those 2 games, due to be a geuninely entertaining character...the stories were otherwise the most generic mary sue POS I've ever played).
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I really think the the pressure from EA with their profit-oriented attitude is what gets them into stupid situations and making huge mistakes with games. Most of the time they are harassed to make games with not enought time on hand and also force them to satisfy the majority of gamers, or more like the segments with more sales potential=casual gamers, while Bioware originally made their games for the hardcore fans.

Biggest example for this I think is DA2, with it's simplified, smooth systems, flashy animations, cartoony graphics. ME3 could have been better as well, although, I still really like that series. For me all the hate around the ending is a bit exaggerated, but I don't want to (and not going to) get into that argument here.
    Greatest fail was arguably Star Wars: The Old Republic. I was really psyched about it, and really wanted it to work, but in the end, I had to agree with those who said that a KotOR 3 would have been better. (But one of the main problems there was also a hurried release...)

Not to mention EA's focus on the console market (which is again a more profitable sector)...

That said, could have done better without EA (at least, customer service would definetly have been better! :) ). So for me they are the big "evils" here. But with all the people who left Bioware, I'm actually starting to lose hope a bit, so I guess I'm also voting for "one more mistake and i am gone. dragon age 3 better be good". But it's not easy to turn your back to a developer studio, whom you loved so much for many-many years... :/
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I'm not sure why there's a need for this poll, but I guess some might find it interesting. I picked the top one. I've enjoyed their games for many years, and I am excited to check out any RPG with their name involved. Some games they have made, like Torment. Fly under the radar or get unfairly criticized. I consider Torment and RP classic, it's a truly exceptional adventure based on a PnP campaign world that I could never get into at the tables. I am very much a DnD old school loyalist. I don't enjoy Elder Scroll games or many of the other big name RPGs out there, simply because they don't use DnD rules.

I couldn't bring myself to play Dragonage until a year after I bought it, and only because I was recovering from surgery. Once i got into it I REALLY enjoyed it. It's an incredible game. I bought DA2 but I never played more than an hour into the story because I wanted to continue with my old character, not use a new one. So I'm not really amped for DA3.

I have high praise for them, I always tell my friend's that they are the best when it comes to RPG games. I just wish they could have got involved with making Lord of the RIngs online instead of turbine. I love Middle Earth dearly, and long for the day when a MMORPG exists with THAT world and DnD rules.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I thought DA2 was fine. The ME3 ending and unfixed multiplayer bugs seriously soured me on the company. I bought no DLC for that game; the first Bioware DLC I didn't buy.

As for future Bio releases, I will eye them with interest, but caution.
    Lateralus said:

I'm not sure why there's a need for this poll, but I guess some might find it interesting. I picked the top one. I've enjoyed their games for many years, and I am excited to check out any RPG with their name involved. Some games they have made, like Torment. Fly under the radar or get unfairly criticized. I consider Torment and RP classic, it's a truly exceptional adventure based on a PnP campaign world that I could never get into at the tables. I am very much a DnD old school loyalist. I don't enjoy Elder Scroll games or many of the other big name RPGs out there, simply because they don't use DnD rules.

I couldn't bring myself to play Dragonage until a year after I bought it, and only because I was recovering from surgery. Once i got into it I REALLY enjoyed it. It's an incredible game. I bought DA2 but I never played more than an hour into the story because I wanted to continue with my old character, not use a new one. So I'm not really amped for DA3.

I have high praise for them, I always tell my friend's that they are the best when it comes to RPG games. I just wish they could have got involved with making Lord of the RIngs online instead of turbine. I love Middle Earth dearly, and long for the day when a MMORPG exists with THAT world and DnD rules.

i thought i would make it because many people say they have lost interest in their core fans, and baldur's gate seems the closest we can get to core fans. i thought that i would ask here, especially because BSN or the retakers, the two main groups to talk about these things, would be biased. i agree dragon age origins is an incredible game, and am replaying it right now (though i won't play DA2 after this) i think i like that DAO is seperate from DA2 in terms of the character so that I don't feel compelled to replay that. da2 was an ok game, but i found it super repetitive and nightmare was over the top. it took over an hour on my victory attempt against the first boss!
    Senash said:

ME3 could have been better as well, although, I still really like that series. For me all the hate around the ending is a bit exaggerated, but I don't want to (and not going to) get into that argument here.
    :/

thank you for keeping it civil rather than argue. i trust that we can avoid the arguments here. i like that most people in this forum are mature enough to just talk and deal with differing opinions.

never will they ever satisfy everyone, but i think they would have done better if it were like baldur's gate's ending where we could know what happened to them after the adventure. i think most of us expected that. open ended just doesn't work too well in a game about consequences. i found the ending emotional, they hit that right. the music was perfect, and i actually downloaded that soundtrack it was so beautiful and well done. but i just wanted to feel like life went on for these characters, like we did with baldurs gate.
    moved to off topic. that was a mistake that i put it in general. i should pay attention
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I only played DA:Origins, so I can't say I've tried DA2 though from what I've heard its repetitive. I was so pumped for Origins when it came out, and while it was a good game whenever I play it it still feels too linear and lacking in story depth. As for ME3 well, suffice to say I wasn't a fan for a great many reasons (not just the ending). I of course hope to hear that DA3 is the best game ever, but I'm not holding my breath. Project eternity is really the only CRPG I'm pumped about.
    wow, i am really bad at this. i didn't even realize we had two off topics. i think i have everything right now
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    You know, between Mass Effect 3 and Throne of Bhaal, it occurs to me; Bioware really can't do a decent ending to save their lives. At least, not to an epic, multi-game RPG adventure.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Malicron said:

You know, between Mass Effect 3 and Throne of Bhaal, it occurs to me; Bioware really can't do a decent ending to save their lives. At least, not to an epic, multi-game RPG adventure.

For all the gameplay/storyline issue people have with ToB they did a few of the ending stories well. Keldorn has an awesome ending.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    I loved both DA:Origins and Mass Effect 2... I noticed their quality control slipping a bit with the Awakening DLC for Origins but still mostly enjoyed it. Dragon Age 2 was... flawed to say the least, but I got into it enough to finish it but couldn't quite manage a second playthrough. Mass Effect 3 I didn't even finish... it was fun enough but something about the writing seemed off to me... and then all the noise about the endings and I just kind of lost the drive to play it anymore :/

And really, they've been trying way way WAY to hard to be all grimdark lately.

Maaaaybe if they left EA there might be an improvement again, but I dunno... There seems to be this trend with them where the budgets for sequels to successful games still get cut and they're expected to do more with less and well, it doesn't really turn out. Plus I hate the habit of cutting out a chunk of the game and then releasing it as a 'Day One DLC' bleh.

Can't say I'll NEVER buy another Bioware game, but whereas I used to always pre-order their games cause the Bioware name carried a promise of awesome, now I'll probably wait and see... I miss the Bioware of old, I'm not going to dwell on where they ended up. I've moved on, I guess

Sorry it didn't seem like this many words in my head :(
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    I was very disappointed with Dragon Age 2. So much so I still haven't played ME3 because I don't want it to ruin the series for me - after reading all the bad reviews. I also did not like ME2 at all.

I am hoping, and praying to all the gods that they sort it out for the next games. I seriously hope DA3 is good and they drop the button bashing crap.

BioWare for me was always about the STORY. I mean, they can seriously write a good RPG plot when they want to (DA:O, ME1). It just seems to be that they want so much to cater for a wider audience that they forget their roots. Ignoring and disregarding all of the fans that made them big in the first place.

After DA2 I picked up Oblivion for the first time. I'd avoided it up until that point due to the lack of story, but I truly enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I think if things don't change with BioWare I will most likely move completely over to Bethesda - which makes me sad as some of BioWare's earliest work took me away from linear JRPG's and defined my entire gaming preference.

I was very disappointed with Dragon Age 2. So much so I still haven't played ME3 because I don't want it to ruin the series for me - after reading all the bad reviews. I also did not like ME2 at all.

I am hoping, and praying to all the gods that they sort it out for the next games. I seriously hope DA3 is good and they drop the button bashing crap.

BioWare for me was always about the STORY. I mean, they can seriously write a good RPG plot when they want to (DA:O, ME1). It just seems to be that they want so much to cater for a wider audience that they forget their roots. Ignoring and disregarding all of the fans that made them big in the first place.

After DA2 I picked up Oblivion for the first time. I'd avoided it up until that point due to the lack of story, but I truly enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I think if things don't change with BioWare I will most likely move completely over to Bethesda - which makes me sad as some of BioWare's earliest work took me away from linear JRPG's and defined my entire gaming preference.

Wow, I wish I were u and didn't preorder a collectors edition of me3 :( I would give a lot to forget me3 existed.

Oblivion is also a pretty good game and was actually my first rpg. After playing a game with an open world where I could do whatever I want I really didn't ever want a linear experience again. Playing one rpg redefined what a good game was to me.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I stopped being a fan of Bioware once the Evil Empire took over. I can't believe Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk would sell their baby. And now that they are both retired, Bioware is just a pale shadow of itself. It was better off going the way of Troika.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    BioWare nowadays leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. Had a long history of the 'extreme fascination' with the company, probably since 2007 when I joined its forums as Lauron (or dark lauron that is, but that's not the point). Truly learned lots of Baldur's Gate there with what I considered legends in the gameplay, the one leaving the largest impact on it was frabjous.

Either way, that place shown me some nice integrity that BioWare had : strict rules, dictatorial even. But they were solid rules that didn't allow so-called "trolling". I won't even lie, I met my beloved second half on that site in 2009, after her question about Aec'letec if I am not mistaken, so that place changed me a great deal.

Then... around the end of 2009, BSN happened. And with that all good things fell "down down down, and the flames went higher", to quote Johnny.
    I will be 100% honest, and that's one of those "bash you on the head with a mace" kinds of honests. That place had good people. Although they were outnumbered 1:1000 perhaps. That place, excuse me for the term, is a whorehouse. And BioWare, through those people, those BAD BAD people.... seemed to have undergone a retro evolution... retrovolution, retrolution, I have no idea. But yeah, it changed BioWare and its staff, at least the community relations staff.

2009, Dragon Age Origins was released - it was acclaimed.
    2010, Mass Effect 2 was released - acclaimed, yes... but where's the RPG in it?
    2011, Dragon Age 2 - oh dear.
    2012, Mass Effect 3 - I haven't played it, I won't lie there. Hell, I haven't bought it either. But thank you Simcity, I got it for free XD

(notice how both ME2 and ME3 had their release dates postponed from the prior year because obviously, they didn't stand a chance in ranking among the other games released in 2009 and 2011 respectively)

So now the questions is... what is going on there BioWare? Is it the new-wave fans? Is it the EA influence? Both obviously. Casual audience is good for money, but not for the soul of the game - now I am a casual when it comes to most games, but please. RPGs - make them COMPLEX, hell, make them so tough that a virtual arm comes out of the monitor and punches you in the face. BUT NOT CASUAL!

So, dear BioWare, or BEAoWare... Where the video games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE0lzI4NoU0
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I'm still a fan of Bioware, though I will confess that they've lost their way a bit (which actually *is* probably due to EA and its market focus). I think the kicker for me will be if/how DA3 incorporates Multiplayer, which it obviously will because EA.

I actually loved DA2. I liked the 'cartoony' graphics and OTT action. I didn't really think it was less tactical than DAO in reality: DAO was still largely a hack-and-slash, but the lack of the tactical camera made it seem that way. And I loved the characters, honestly I thought they were much better than 80% of the DAO cast. I also loved what they *tried* to do with the plot and the themes, I just think they failed rather spectacularly with it on so many levels, largely due to the product being blatantly rushed, but also because I'm not sure if the writers really know *how* to write a story that doesn't involve their typical protagonist power-fantasy about saving the world. Obsidian could have done it, I think, but Bioware has been stuck in that writing rut for a bit too long, I suspect. Finally, I thought the DLC was a massive step-up, which gives me hope for DA3, since I think the DLC for DAO suffered many of the issues DA2 had, and thus later DLC is probably fairly indicative of where a team is looking to focus its attentions on the next product. Thus I am hopeful for DA3, but I'm fairly convinced it will have Multiplayer functionality, and thus I'm waiting to see exactly *how* it will.

Which brings me to ME3. Now I like ME3, I loved ME3 until the last 10 minutes where it all went a bit stupid. I thought it had a lot of tension and drama and a story that was generally good until, well, the end. Not even necessarily the 'end of the end', but pretty much everything from the assault on Cronos Station and, especially, the retake Earth section. The combat in the game was also very repetitive, basically coming down to: Go Here, Hold Here, Go There, Hold There, Mission Complete. Very stop, start, stop, start. It was actually the same structure a lot of the ME2 DLC had, but it was refreshing then because for all its faults, ME2 actually had a fair bit of variety in its level flow (though they were almost all corridor shooters).

The multiplayer in ME3 was actually something I didn't mind. I only played it 'once', to get the trophy for 100% readiness (so I played a bunch of matches). Nonetheless, I thought it was integrated well into the story and that it was fairly unobtrusive. I dunno, I just thought that it fit as well as it could, and thus I wasn't too fussed about it. I wouldn't have missed it if it was gone, however. If they'd made 25% of all the achievements/trophies multiplayer, and put one in for getting to like 'N7 level 1000' I would have minded, because I like to get 100% in my games and multiplayer frequently prevents that (ergo I basically never buy MP games).

I like Bioware, but I think Obsidian is better in terms of narrative design and characterisation.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I feel that they have stopped catering to my demographic and have instead started catering to the fanfiction/tvtropes/slashfiction crowd.

These people seem to care a lot less about the quality of the games they are playing. Bioware seem pretty unapologetic about how bad they have been, so I dont see them ever switching back. Most of the old staff seem to have left by now.
    I do not blame EA for this. EA are surely to blame for some sucky stuff like enforced origin installation, and bi-yearly releases. But these aren't the only thing wrong with their games these days, and frankly the writing for the games, which used to be their strongest asset is looking increasingly tired and repetitive.

In summary, many studio's have gone from making good games to making sucky games over the years, but Bioware is the only one I know who has done it by CHOICE. Combine this with their insuffereable arrogance and attacks on thier own fans and they have pretty much earned my eternal scorn.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't think I'm their demographic anymore. But I wasn't a raving fanboy to begin with, I just enjoyed some of their games.
    Thankfully, there's a few companies out there that do cater to my needs so I'll stick with them.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I like them fine. DA2 was a rush job, very disappointing, otherwise I think they do a lot better than a lot of other old companies.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Wait, so you're (or the video is) blaming a large part of it on Jennifer Hepler? To be honest that's pretty offensive.

(The rest of the video was quite funny, though).
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I think the current great hope is Obsidian and Project:Eternity. They seem to specifically be aiming for the feel of the Infinity Engine, and have a lot of Bioware's and Black Isle's old staff. So, maybe, just maybe...
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Bioware has some really brilliant and great games, but now it's just another company to me. Since it's with EA, it all went downhill in the quality of the games. I mean, the new games are good but not what we it used to be. Not any longer focused on making the next amazing RPG experience.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    @Eudaemonium: At no point did I say that. Although I do believe that Hepler's 'writing' did play a large part in the downfall. She is *not* a good writer, most certainly there are far better candidates out there who should have been considered.
    It is, of course, EA who are to blame for the loss of quality. I suppose we should be thankful they didn't disband Bioware altogether. More than can be said for poor Westwood, among others.