Skip to content

A thread by artists for artists..

EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
Hi everyone,

I've created this thread so that artists - non-digital and digital - may share technique and advice on various aspects of fantasy artwork. I have a particular interest in what software and hardware others use and which they prefer for different styles of art.

I personally use Corel Paint X5 Ultimate Edition and ArtRage 2 for my choice of software. I chose Corel for the simple reason in that it is what I was used to. I began digital painting 6 years ago (also stopped for about 5 years) using this software and I find it difficult to get used to other programs. Photoshop is something I have tried but could never fully get used to, but would give it another shot with the right advice.

If you are a non-digital artist, wanting to give the digital art world a try, I recommend ArtRage. It is a useful tool which replicates real artistic techniques with an easy to use interface. Great for digital oil canvassing (very realistic). It is also extremely responsive (much more so than Photoshop and Corel Paint - even though you can do more with these programs).

For hardware I use Wacom's Bamboo digital pen and tablet. I have never ventured over to different tablets so I wouldn't be able to compare.

However if anybody can tell me what this is, where I can get one and how much it costs, I would be very grateful. It looks amazing and I can slowly feel my eyes going square staring at a screen for hours with my current tablet & laptop:

I am also keen to learn how to use Vue, or how 'rendering' works in general if anybody has any tips. Give me a pencil and i'm at my best, but I am keen to learn new things.

So as I am the creator of this thread, I will try to give some advice to those artists or budding artists who would like to learn new techniques.

Chainmail Tutorial

Chainmail is one of those annoying parts of painting that most people dread. It can be tedious and time consuming. I have noticed a number of people mentioning to me in the past that they find it difficult to draw and paint armour. I have come to the conclusion that many people struggle with it because they do not enjoy it or do not have the patience for it. Many revert to photo-manipulated chainmail from images found on Google, which lets face it - always look like photo manipulations. I am guilty of this myself.

Here I will teach those that wish to learn an easier, fun and satisfying way of painting chainmail. I self taught myself this method some time ago with the help of some 'How to' videos. Before this I used to do it the slow and painful way that never ends up looking right.

Step 1) The trick with chainmail is consistency. Each link has to be the same size or it does not look right. The trick is to create your own brush. This can be done easily on Photoshop and Corel Paint - I am not to sure about other programs.

Now on a simply white background, paint a C shape in bubble writing using a standard paintbrush. For example:

To make your C into a brush, select the square 'selection tool' and wrap it around your C. Then go to Effects -> Edge Effects -> Trace Contour.

Now that you have your edged C, click on your standard paintbrush tool and click on brush options. From this screen there should be an option named "Create brush tip from selection". Voila - You have your new C brush.

Step 2) Start a new image. For this example I used the 'Freehand Selection' tool to create a section of armor that would be covered with chainmail. I used a filler colour of dark grey as it would have a more prominent effect on silver chain link.

Taking your new C brush, pick a lighter colour. For this example I chose light grey. Next go to 'Palettes -> Brush variance -> Rotation. Change the option to: Direction. This will allow your new C brush to follow the direction of your pen/mouse cursor. Change the 'Step' option of your brush to 75, and turn the opacity and density to 100. With your section of armour still 'selected' by the freehand tool, begin painting in strips and in one direction to start with. Like so:

And then follow the link back in the other direction - try to keep your links between the links going the opposite way. Like so:

Now this may look a little messy at the moment, so let's fix this.

Step 3) Select the Burn/shadow tool and use it over the chain link. Don't take the pressure off your pen/finger off the mouse whilst doing this, or you will end up with huge chunks of dark 'splodge' all over your lovely chain link. This helps give your chain link depth and definition. Darkness and shadows are your best friend.

Step 4) For this particular example, select the 'Lighten' tool. Now start going over the chain link in your armor, lightening each link up as you go along. To add 'shine' and 'reflection' go over some over the links multiple times. Do this erratically yet clustered to add a realistic effect. I did this without removing my pen from the tablet, applying my 'shine' effect at the end on certain sections of the chain link:

Now you may wish to do this individually and with much more detail than the image above, but for the purpose of this tutorial I have only done a quick/rough example. The drawings for this took less than five minutes and goes to show how simple it can be to do this once time consuming and tedious chore. I actually have fun with it nowadays. Try using different colours to add different effects. Elven chainmail = greens, Gold = yellows/oranges. Don't forget to add 'shine' and 'burn' though!

Anyhow, I am guessing many of you may know this trick already but for those that don't I hope it helps!

@Troodon80 @Seldar @Syntia13 @krax @Nixxi @Jakaminski @Sylph @artastrophe @serabiet - Feel free to join in if you wish =) (sorry if I missed anybody out, i'm tired and struggling to think straight.)
Post edited by EntropyXII on
mlneveseTJ_HookerMalicronTroodon80GodDJKajuruMoomintrollTaylorTwerkBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov

Comments

• SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Woo! Art thread! (I'd make a little heart but the formatting on this site doesn't like those :( )

That chainmail trick works pretty well traditionally as well, just takes a lot longer and is a lot more tedious :P One good piece of advice I got for it was to make sure you curve it around the form and not just make straight lines, otherwise it just looks like chainmail hanging on a wall :)
    EntropyXII
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    good to know for that chainmail.

Here a tutorial about water (the best accroding to me) :

http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/26/displacement-water.html

and if you need textures, go to cgtextures.com, a MILLION of textures for free (15mb per day)
    EntropyXIITroodon80
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @EntropyXII: Wow, fantastic! :D I got a question for the artists in this topic. I've always been struggling with making my drawings look more realistic, especially when it comes to colours and shadows. I'm a traditional pencil-and-pen artists, tho, so I don't really know how to use most painting programs... But if anyone's got any ideas or good tutorials, I'd really appreciate it. :)
    You know, I think the best school is... yourself.

There are a lot of video of speedpainting on Youtube, it's not like a tutorial (but there are too) but you can learn with that. It is how I did, I learned everything by myself. Of course I don't know my soft at 100% and there are alot of stuff that I don't know use, I don't know how they work. But I practice.

I use photoshop and I think that brushes are a big part of a realistic painting. Yes you can paint a castle with basic brush, but well, you will have a "bad" result (simply grey walls, brown doors etc...). Brushes help you to add textures and soft colours variation which will give you the feeling of stones, wood, clouds and more.

This how looks like a painting when I start :

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/261968mine.jpg

and as Bob Ross said : "You can do everything you want, everything !!! As long as you believe"
    EntropyXIIMoomintroll
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud - It's as Seldar said, the best teacher is yourself. Try and discover what kind of artist you are first. From looking at the work of @Seldar - I am guessing he is a sketch artist. Sketch artists apply their lines, colour, basic shading first before adding deep shadows and dark lines at the end with the detail. I'm just guessing though, so correct me if i'm wrong Seldar =)

I grew up as an ink artist, and thus I tend to draw in dark lines and shadow first, before adding colour and detail.

Adding shadows is an incredible way of giving your work a touch of realism. Start with finding a light source (as you become more advanced - multiple light sources). Shadows can come from a number of directions. If you are planning on creating people/portraits then you may find it easier to practice digitally painting in black and white first (like a sketch). This can help give your painting definition, shadow and depth, before you have even begun adding colour. Afterwards, multiple coloured layers can be dropped over your digital sketch (decreasing opacity on merge) and sooner or later you will end up with a coloured portrait that has depth and definition. The original BG portraits were done using this method.

I prefer using my own palettes to paint in colour but in general, it is each to their own. If you would like an easy transition from pencil and paper into digital, then I recommend picking up a Wacom tablet (or something similar) as soon as possible. Mine cost about £50 and I wouldn't know what i'd do without it.

If you have any questions about certain aspects of digital painting and would like a tutorial in detail, let me know and i'll put something together for you =)

@Seldar - Thanks for that great webpage mate! This will be incredibly useful.

Also... does nobody have any idea what that tablet is in my OP? I saw it on the Project Eternity kickstarter video and I have been looking for one since!
    It looks like a Cintiq tablet
    edited June 2013
    @Seldar -

Thanks dude.... Found it. http://www.ebuyer.com/391713-cintiq-24hd-touch-dth-2400?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CJ6dksTl0bcCFQ3KtAodzHcAjg

THREE GRAND!? what is this!? With this kind of money I could buy a robot and then program it to build this tablet for me! :-O
    sounds like it's for real pro lol !
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    As far as hardware is concerned, I have the following:

My primary all-rounder:

Cintiq 12WX @ 1280x800
    Asus VK266H @ 1920x1200
    GTX690 (2x2GB internal SLI)
    32GB RAM @ O.C. 2133MHz (11-11-11-30)
    250GB SSD, 2x3TB HDDs
    Core i7-3960X (6 core) @ 3.30GHz

For software, I typically use a range of 3D software such as Vue, 3DS Max and ZBrush, as well as drawing software like Photoshop, GIMP, PaintTool SAI, and PhotoFiltre.

As a quick walk through for this picture:

First thing to do is model the gate house and bridge. Need to get a shot from the game for that:

Then we need to go into 3D Max, drag a cube into into the viewport and model it.

This is pretty easy and required minimal editing. Cut out the front and back, bridge the now-open faces, extrude (inwards) the edges around the entrance and use symmetry so that it will be the same on the back as it is on the front. Other basic modifications include extruding portions of the sides for the buttresses and, again, using symmetry so the two sides will be the same.

Then add another primitive. This new one will be the head or lintel above the arch. This only needs to be resized, so no modification to the basics (aside from adding a texture).

The next bit is adding and shaping the iron around the gate entrance. For ease, I did one side and then selected to create a symmetry layer.

Then the chains. This was incredibly boring, but basically created one single shape and copied it multiple times to line them up and create the chain.

Then export as 3DS.

Next, import into Vue. Create an infinite terrain and a procedural terrain. Then position the procedural terrain and edit it. Once you get it looking decent, you can position your imported gatehouse.image

You can get down close to it and view it to make sure it is how you want it. Then you can add rocks and other objects around it.

My scene isn't complete yet, and won't be for some time. So the textures are only placeholders.
    EntropyXIIDJKajuruBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    @EntropyXII Sounds like you could benefit from a Yiynova. It's a tablet monitor similar to a Cintiq, but at an actually affordable price. I got the MSP19U for ~550 bucks incl. shipping, and it has worked flawlessly so far. Yiynova really is the only alternative for a Cintiq. Other brands exist (they are far between though), but none come close to a Cintiq.
    It has its pros and cons of course. It uses a glass frame, which while does make it sturdier, it adds a bit of space between the tip of the pen, and what you're painting. But for a Bamboo user, that shouldn't be a problem. The driver support isn't great, but custom work-arounds can rectify that.
    Its biggest "flaw", compared to a Cintiq, is that it has a VGA output, instead of HDMI, which basically means I couldn't use my main PC for it. You could always get a converter if needed of course, but I'm not a fan of those.
    Other than that, it's great, and will truly change how you paint digitally.

It has incresed a bit in price since, but is still extremely cheap all things considered. Your best bet will probably be Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-MSP19U-Monitor-Windows-Solution/dp/B009QQ7BG0
    EntropyXII
    edited June 2013
    @Zanian - Thank you, that is helpful! the idea of getting new hardware is something I am strongly considering. I love my bamboo tablet but the monitor has become more my problem. After staring at a screen so intently I find myself missing easy mistakes which i usually discover the next day.

@Troodon80 - Also very helpful. I have never digitally sculpted 3D before - it is something I will look at.

@Seldar - Nevermind a real pro. I am sure I saw Captain James Kirk using one of those Cintiq's to take out a few Klingons! Starfleet Academy Standard Issue Tablet!
  • artastropheartastrophe Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the invite! This is a cool idea. :) I'm actually the complete opposite of you when it comes to programs and techniques haha... I only use Photoshop, although I keep updating my Corel Painter every couple years, hoping I will at last start using it. It's super difficult for me to get into; there are definitely a lot of differences between it and Photoshop, and when you're a pro at one UI, the other one seems so unintuitive. :P Painter has too many options for me to keep straight; I don't know where to start & just end up floundering around a bit before I give up.... I decided to just stick with PS and use a bunch of imported brushes, which seems to be working. ^^

And I suck so badly at inking or any kind of commitment to single/clean lines; I'm definitely a sketch artist. ;) So my painting approach probably bears a lot of similarities to my sketching, just building up colors/details. Although I usually keep it loose enough so I can fudge most of those details haha...

But thank you so much for the chainmail tutorial; if I ever try to do detailed chainmail, that will definitely come in handy!! I wish I had some cool technique to share... I guess I usually start with darker colors and then dab in more saturated/brighter spots, but that's probably not helpful. ^^; I've been trying to put together a tutorial (or my process at least, I'm not sure it qualifies as a tutorial), but I keep having to reference so many other things, that it's become a long unwieldy rambling mess, sigh.

((I use a Wacom Intuos 3... it's lasted me like seven years at least, woo! and I recently got a backup one (Intuos 5) in anticipation of its inevitable demise, but I forgot to register it for the warranty, and then the cord stopped working... so I bought another Intuos 3 lol since I liked it better anyway. x) ))

@Seldar -

Thanks dude.... Found it. http://www.ebuyer.com/391713-cintiq-24hd-touch-dth-2400?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CJ6dksTl0bcCFQ3KtAodzHcAjg

THREE GRAND!? what is this!? With this kind of money I could buy a robot and then program it to build this tablet for me! :-O

When I got my Cintiq 12WX, it cost almost two grand. They're not cheap, but they are good to work with.
    Seldar said:

good to know for that chainmail.

Here a tutorial about water (the best accroding to me) :

http://photoshopcontest.com/tutorials/26/displacement-water.html

and if you need textures, go to cgtextures.com, a MILLION of textures for free (15mb per day)

This is probably the best water displacement tutorial I've seen. I'll be bookmarking this site.
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    This is a great topic! :)
    I will be checking this out for some good ideas for sure.

I am just a hobby artist, so I have no real ideas or tutorials for people honestly.
    But I can say from my personal perspective that practice makes perfect! :)

All the stuff that I am currently working on can be found HERE!
    Troodon80EntropyXIIKlonoa
    @Zzidolfas86 - I love your bounty hunter mate!

Would anyone have any advice, or be able to put forward a tutorial for fabric, up-close? I'm never happy with the clothing for my portraits. I have tried 'cross-stitch' brushes which I made, but it never ends up looking the way I want it to.
    Troodon80

Would anyone have any advice, or be able to put forward a tutorial for fabric, up-close? I'm never happy with the clothing for my portraits. I have tried 'cross-stitch' brushes which I made, but it never ends up looking the way I want it to.

I would also appreciate a tutorial.

EntropyXII
    Hmm, no response yet - Perhaps @artastrophe may know? the fabric work she uses has some interesting textures.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    It's not a tutorial per se, but 'Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter' by James Gurney is a fantastic and insightful book on the subject :)
    DJKajuru
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    That's really great !

I know I should be learning digital art 'cause there are more opportunities, but lately I've been mostly drawing and painting (illustrations and canvas paintings), which tend to be more "art gallery" potential , but should people require it, I'd be glad to post tutorials.
    EntropyXIIKlonoa
    @DjKajuru - if you have any tips then by all means - post away =)
    DJKajuru
    @EntropyXII @Seldar and @Sylph: Thanks for all the great advice! I'm just curious to find out how I can apply shadows and more realism by using 'ordinary' colour pencils, though. My technical 'know-how' is severly limited. :p
    Hey @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Do you have any examples of your work you could show us? The way I do it is at first:

Choose a selection of pencils you wish to use for the skin tone. Make sure your pencils are always sharp. After lightly colouring in a 'base' tone to the skin, take a slightly darker pencil and begin sketching out typical features:

Face: Eye lines, smile lines, nostrils, ears, facial structure, IE: Cheek bones? Brow?
    Body: Muscle definition, bone definition, joints, etc.

After this begin applying darker tones to the area which would be the deepest point of definition. I personally like to use black - but sparingly.

After shadows are applied, begin adding lighter colours - whites etc - between the shadowed points. For example: If I am drawing cheek bones - my darkest areas would be around the cheek to give it depth. The lightest area would be central on the cheek bone and thus I would apply lighter shades/white accordingly but sparingly. Remember, where there is shadow there is also light. ALL faces have wrinkles and lines - even kids faces. A nice effect I like to use is by applying lighter shades on the edges of eye lids. Check out my portrait pack in 'Fan Creations' to see what I mean.

Sorry if this sounds a bit difficult to follow - it is hard to explain this without any examples on hand.

Remember, always keep your pencils sharp and hold the pencil almost 'vertical' to the paper when drawing. No sideways pencil drawing please - very bad technique. This would take longer, but it allows you to keep full control of the pencil and add detail, shadow and light to an excellent effect. It shouldn't take long to pick it up at all.
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2013
    I am testing out SketchBook Pro at the moment, and it is a little more drawing-friendly compared to Photoshop. I can just doodle it directly onto the PC instead of on paper and then scan.

Without much spare time on my hands for testing it out I have started on remaking an old image.

Old Version
    And here is the work so far
    New version

I made a Head shot of the same creature last year, and I was very happy with it.

Lets see how this goes :)
    EntropyXII
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited June 2013
    Useful tool for traditional drawing.

The Alpha Transparency.

Basically, allows you to treat a drawing as if you had done it on a transparent sheet, even if that was not originally the case.

I've often needed to clean up pen drawings, change the paper they were originally drawn on or edit and arrange them in various ways, for which I've found this tool very useful. It's very basic, but I still find it very confusing, here is the tutorial (link, above) which I continue to find the most useful (ignore the bit at the beginning about generating clouds.)

Example.
    Small, pen drawing that I did after reading The Wendigo, by Algernon Blackwood.
    The new background I think is from the same paper stock, but enlarged and with exaggerated texture. Also there was not enough space around the original to drop it at the bottom of the page.

EntropyXIIJuliusBorisov
    @Zzidolfas86 @Moomintroll - Nice!

The Wendigo always creeped me out.

Can I just ask if anybody has an experience painting on the iPad? I have been hovering over the download button for 'Layers' on the iPad for a few days now, but whereas I have heard great reviews... I just don't know. Will my Wacom tablet pen work for it or will I have to buy the erm.... 'iPen?'
    @EntropyXII: I think I understand what you're getting at, yes. I'll look for a suitable drawing, but be warned, it won't be in a realistic style, rather something anime-ish. :p I like drawing animals too, though. I should really make some time free to sit down and watch my cat's antics. XD
    @Zzidolfas86: That 'old' picture looks awesome! I also often redraw drawings, tho, and the result's often slightly better. Best of luck! :)
    @Moomintroll: Hmm, might give this application a try...
    edited June 2013
    @Seldar - Would you mind if I ask which brushes you use for your rock face?

I love the affect you get on this: http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/261968mine.jpg

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud - I love anime so feel free to post what you want =)
    @EntropyXII you can find "my" brushes here :

in the video description. I'm not the painter in this video, but this guy is very talented and his brush pack is free to use. There are a lot of good things in this pack. I use only 6 or 8 of them, very helpful to give textures.

Also I use the Mike Nash's brush pack :

http://www.mike-nash.com/HOME.html

at the bottom

This guy is THE master of painting (see Dryad digital art process on youtube)

Same thing, I use 3 or 4 of them
    EntropyXIITroodon80MoomintrollJuliusBorisov
    @Seldar = Legend.
    Whoa...That painting in the video...It's gorgeous! 8O