Skip to content

Aec'letec dies from Cloudkill

WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
So I was struggling with strategies to kill Aec'letec with my all mage party but noticed that he went pop while passing through a cloudkill.

I repeated the strategy after killing all the cultists and sure enough, I see this:
Aec'Letec- Magic Resistance
Edwin- Aec'Letec is immune to my damage.
Aec'Letec- Death
The Party Has Gained Experience: 16000

Bug, no?

Convenient mind you ... I was kind of stuck otherwise.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    must be because of his HD, if you have 4 or less hit dice you die automatically, and if you have in between 4-6 HD you save vs death or die instantly, I guess Aec'Letec needs to gain some levels :)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    It's probably because Aec'Letec was (mistakenly) assigned only 1 HD in the game (despite his 106 hit points).
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

Wowo said:

Bug, no?

No.

Original BG:
    http://youtu.be/Z7iqZSZaJjs
    Why would that make it not a bug? BG had ton of bugs still after BW stopped patching it.

This clearly one of them. Cloudkill is supposed to immediately kill only creatures with hit die of 4+1 or less. In english that means pretty weak enemies like gnolls, gibberlings, wolfs, etc. Aec'letec clearly doesn't belong this to this group, and only dies to Cloudkill because his HD value is incorrect.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It's a bug, and a fix for this will be in the next patch.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Jalily said:

It's a bug, and a fix for this will be in the next patch.

Nice one.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Don't fix what is not broken. Seriously, why everyone keeps nagging for banishing each and every useful thing that exists in this game? Why not self-ban cloudkill in this fight, instead of erasing an easy method for everyone to beat this tough fight, damnit all? Now only one method remains for killing *easily* this beast; the: "Buff fully your fighters, let them drink a bunch of *appropriate* pots, send *only them* downstairs to make short work on all cultists, then send down your casters to summon beasts, and ranged attack with entire party the demon till he dies, while if you need, retreat outside to rest, reenter, respam summoned creatures, and happily sit away firing bows and slings" one.

But, grrr, since in the EE you can no more summon the vast armies you used to get in 1 original, and since the cloudkill thing is going to be destroyed, this damn fight, will become really hard to deal with!

Stop "correcting" things, please? Pretty please? Exactly as there are many people who like things being "corrected", there are many people who hate having their funny methods to deal with in-game situations removed.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Demonoid_Limewire‌ Here you go. Just extract this into your override folder and Aec will be dying from cloudkill in no time!
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Tresset said:

@Demonoid_Limewire‌ Here you go. Just extract this into your override folder and Aec will be dying from cloudkill in no time!

Ah, thanks for all the trouble, but it seems there is no need for modding! Using the ladder, resting outside and reentering, is good for killing the damn thing very easily...

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    He's a tanarii, right? Thought theyd all be immune to poison. Pretty sure the death effect is poison based!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2014
    DreadKhan said:

He's a tanarii, right? Thought theyd all be immune to poison. Pretty sure the death effect is poison based!

The "instant death" opcode the game uses isn't poison-based. It doesn't specify a means of death, it's just "Death".

In AD&D 2E, Tanar'ri suffer half-damage from poisonous gas. So, Aec'letec should actually suffer 50% of the 1d10 damage per round from Cloudkill (assuming it gets past the magic resistance).

http://www.dotd.com/mm/MM00280.htm
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on