Skip to content

Do I have to start over to make mods take effect?

I would hate to have to restart when I am like 5 chapters in BG2

This is my last thread today I swear >.>

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    It really depends on the mod.

Anything that changes the area tilesets, doors, containers, etc., will probably need a new game. Anything that has some affect on the world map will need a new game. Mods that alter NPCs or NPC dialogue will probably need work best with a new game. Weapons, armour, and other miscellaneous items should not need a restart. Modified scripts (while the game is being played) will only need the game to close and relaunch, but should not require that you start a new game.

Can you provide any information about the mod, or mods, you want to use?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Yep, depends on the mod, unfortunately. :/ I had a lot of luck in that...not being necessary with the Neera Expansion mod!
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    I am asking about BG2 RE mod
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Fubby said:

I am asking about BG2 RE mod

Not entirely sure about that one. If you have already picked up the NPCs in question and started a dialogue chain with them, and now wish to install the mod, I would suggest—for maximum compatibility—that you should start a new game. You could simply back up your current save games and try the mod regardless (alternatively, you could make a backup of the entire BG2 installation, so that you can keep any other mods you may currently have installed, just in case WeiDU doesn't get rid of everything (assuming it is a WeiDU installer)).
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    That should be fine, but you'll probably have missed a bunch of encounters that are plot-dependent. :)