Skip to content

Please, don't make Baldur's Gate 3

Based on the added content alone to the EE I honestly don't think that the studio has the chops to give us Baldurs Gate 3. I read on a gamespot news article that Baldur's Gate 3 is very possible, and I think it would be a shame and a travesty to let this glorious IP sink to this kind of low.

Yes I really don't have faith that the developers can bring us a Baldurs Gate 3 - we'd all expect something even better than Baldurs Gate 2. With this developer, I really don't see that as a possibility. Not to mention Baldurs Gate 2 and 1 were built on an engine created over a decade ago. I don't want Baldurs Gate 3 to fall into the hands of a studio too scared to try something new, or too poor to bring a Dragon Age Origins kind of graphical experience.

I want Baldurs Gate 3 to be a next gen game, something epic, not a title crippled and mired to an outdated engine thanks to its predecessors, and unable to get the love it deserve because the current devs are too poor.

It's a great IP, and if they are able to make Baldurs Gate 3, I don't expect anything but a cash grab off an exploit of everyone's nostalga and trust in the brand.

Comments

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited June 2013
    wait for Project Eternity

nwn + nwn2 expansion + dragon age i think 1 were not bad in opinion of many players (so it is possible the make not bad 3d rpg)

but

is it possible to make a GREAT game ??
  • electrobanelectroban Member Posts: 57
    I don't want Baldur's Gate 3 to be running on a decade + old engine please. Take the franchise somewhere else. Don't compare NWN to Dragon Age Origins. NWNs characters were ass.

I want the same kind of revamp to Baldurs Gate 3 that XCOM got.

All this is just preying on nostalgia.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    elminster said:

By the time Baldur's Gate 2 came out its graphics were already outdated compared to its competition (compared to say Final Fantasy VII or another 3D RPG).

I wouldn't use FF7 as an example in terms of graphics, they were not really top of the line even back then...

And I wouldn't say BG2 graphics were all that outdated in 2000 yet... The fact that it was 2D helped it in my opinion since 3D graphics were not yet all that incredible back then...
  • novotny999novotny999 Member Posts: 10
    Great game is not made by developers, it is made by players who play it. Even bad game with horrible graphics can catch players heart. Especially if fully romanceable Imoen will be included.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    elminster said:

I could care less if the game doesn't have the graphics that Dragon Age 1, 2, or 3 has, provided it has a better gameplay and story. I could also care less if the engine they use for it is or isn't "outdated", as plenty of great games (Portal 1, Portal 2 come to mind) have used outdated engines with great success.

If you could care less, it means you care a little. :)

I'm joking, I'm not sure myself how to say it right.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The way I see it, right now Overhaul doesn't have what it takes to make Baldur's Gate III. The team, even if passionate, is short in numbers and restricted by absurd contract. That might change in the future, thought, but I prefer not to rise fale hopes.
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2013
    Kaltzor said:

elminster said:

By the time Baldur's Gate 2 came out its graphics were already outdated compared to its competition (compared to say Final Fantasy VII or another 3D RPG).

I wouldn't use FF7 as an example in terms of graphics, they were not really top of the line even back then...
    I personally thought FF7's pre rendered backgrounds were awesome for its time. Certainly the character models were meh, but did you see the graphics of other best looking console games released in 1997? I don't think games like Soul Blade/Edge or DKR looked that much better.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Pecca said:

If you could care less, it means you care a little. :)

I'm joking, I'm not sure myself how to say it right.

Couldn't care less??

I don’t agree with the OP, to be polite. The only team that I can trust for now is the actual one.

I don’t want bg3 to become a bling bling flashy flashy mentally retarded game for the Halo/Call of duty generation of recycled 12 years old Wow players with an integrate mommy/daddy credit card slot.

Which is exactly why when i cited a newer game that it should try to get close to I used Dragon Age Origins as an example, not Call of Duty.

Just because the Call of Duty/Halo franchises are shit, and to be honest, mediocre in terms of graphics, doesn't detract from the fact that there is technology available that can transform the Baldurs Gate universe into a living thriving immersive 3d environment whilst still retaining its hard core elements. Dragon Age Origins is a perfect example of this.

Don't automatically think flashy modern graphics = soulless game.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    Kaltzor said:

elminster said:

And I wouldn't say BG2 graphics were all that outdated in 2000 yet... The fact that it was 2D helped it in my opinion since 3D graphics were not yet all that incredible back then...
    I was using FF7 since it was a well known 3D RPG that came out almost two years before Baldur's Gate 1 (it came out in Jan 1997, BG1 came out in November, 1998). If you've got a better example then post away.

3D graphics from back then haven't held up well, but at that time 3D was the next level in graphics. BG2 graphics were outdated when the game came out, even if they still were good. BG2 graphics have done an alright job of holding up over the years, but older 3D games looking worse is largely because of how much better 3D has gotten since 1997-2001. When it came out NWN1 was highly praised for its graphics...now its like OHH GOD WHAT DID YOU DO! (also its gameplay and original campaign storyline are pretty meh, but thats another discussion for another thread)

There weren't a lot of top selling 2D RPG's made after ToB, so there isn't a lot to compare BG2 to. But if there were well made and successive 2D RPG's after Baldur's Gate that we could compare it to overtime our view of its graphics would change as well (and I'm not counting Torchlight/Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3, because all three were kind of toony).
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, the 3D of FF7 I consider to be horribly outdated, even for early 1997, it reminds me of an old PC game by the name of Stellar 7...

So, top of the line stuff really...

And if you want a game to compare to, how about another RPG for the PC? Diablo 1 was originally released very late 1996, just weeks before FF7. I consider that game to be much more graphically impressive than FF7 is.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    I agree with your last intervention electroban, the Witcher franchise is a good example in my opinion. But I still think that the bg franchise is in good hands with beamdog and that they know exactly what they are doing. I think that they can produce a nice bg3 with another engine that can have similar graphic as diablo3 but less flashy and childish.
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    Baldur's Gate is the tale of everyone's favorite Bhallspawn, CHARNAME. The story has been told, and it is finished. I don't think that there should be a BG3 because the game would clearly be little more than a clipped-on addendum both in style and in focus (not to mention it would be using 4E rules- scary!).

Rather, any new content should be molded into a new game entirely. A new game would be forced to be excellent on its own merit, rather than borrowing from BG's fame. Besides, if it is successful then more doors are opened for more titles down the road, rather than a roadblock of contracts and such.

Just my two cents.
    edited June 2013
    @masterdesbaxter

The doors are already opened. Charname became a god or at least wander around with godlike power, that enough to pissed off the other gods and create a great storyline. Some of them or a least one can strip the charname of all is power and banish him somewhere across the different planes. Here you are, lvl1 and wandering the world again looking for old and new friends to face the adversity and maybe seek revenge or at least justice.

Why bother? Because of Minc, because of Imoen, because of Viconia, because of yoshimo, etc.. there are still a lot of thing to work around. Minc may be an enslaved veteran fighting in a drow pit in great need of your rescue. Imoen may be another poor mage wandering around without any arcane power left (just a thief by now) and thus need your brother support. Viconia and Yoshimo may be revived by some way with the intervention of charname, etc.

Just think about that... Viconia eventually die! IT CAN'T BE!!!! WE MUST REVERSE THAT! ^^
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2013

Baldur's Gate is the tale of everyone's favorite Bhallspawn, CHARNAME. The story has been told, and it is finished. I don't think that there should be a BG3 because the game would clearly be little more than a clipped-on addendum both in style and in focus (not to mention it would be using 4E rules- scary!).

Rather, any new content should be molded into a new game entirely. A new game would be forced to be excellent on its own merit, rather than borrowing from BG's fame. Besides, if it is successful then more doors are opened for more titles down the road, rather than a roadblock of contracts and such.

Just my two cents.

They can still make a Baldur's gate game that has nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn. The Current D&D Forgotten Realms timelime takes place a century or more after BG2 and the spellplague, so it would be nice to see what's going on in the sword coast this time around.

I agree with your last intervention electroban, the Witcher franchise is a good example in my opinion. But I still think that the bg franchise is in good hands with beamdog and that they know exactly what they are doing. I think that they can produce a nice bg3 with another engine that can have similar graphic as diablo3 but less flashy and childish.

What is it about the Beamdog dev that makes you say that you trust it? You did play the extra side quests right?
  • KarsusKarsus Member Posts: 11

or too poor to bring a Dragon Age Origins kind of graphical experience.

Dragon Age: Origins isn't something I would use as example of good loooking, I mean DA2 looks much worse but DA:O isn't exactly pretty either.

WotC is now backpedalling from 4E and new their new products will be edition neutral(meaning they will work with multiple editions).

But we are years from any Baldur's Gate 3, and considering license issues there is no guarantee anyone will make it at all.
    edited June 2013
    @electroban

Prepare yourself a 24 cup of coffee, lock your doors and begin the reading of every single dev posts on this forum/reddit/other social media platform.

No seriously, there are pages and pages of information about them and theirs projects all around the web, I just can’t cite only one or two source. Let’s just say that I follow them since a lot time, you can also google Trent Oster or other member of the beamdog team, if BG is the baby of someone, this is their baby.
  • chuukoguchuukogu Member Posts: 40
    I think BG3 should take a more lighthearted approach: Baldur's Gate 3: The Adventures of Jan Jansen, the Griffin killer. There are two pitfalls, really: streamlining too much (e.g. by removing all useless spells and so on) and thus creating a dumbed-down hack&slash game, or making the gameplay and mechanics complex and open ended, allowing all kinds of powergaming abuse.

p.s. Character quality was inconsistent in Dragon Age, in terms of graphics and dialogue/storyline both. Problem of starting a new game franchise?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I agree entirely. They are passionate and that's awesome, but they just plain don't have the resources or manpower to bring justice to any sort of Baldur's Gate III. It's that simple.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I find the graphics for bg 2 less painful to the eyes then plenty of much more recent RPGs... Kotor comes to mind, those graphics were not conducive. The disaster (imho) alone of making animated faces look marginally human kinda soccer kicked immersion in the head. I think for RPGs, which rely heavily on actually relating to characters, benefit from a fairly zoomed out isometric view. But then, I also prefer strategy games to have fairly utilitarian graphics, as they don't improve gameplay... So I'm what most developers hate; someone that will happily sacrifice graphics, sound quality, etc for better gameplay. It's easier to find and polish a poop than it is to mine for and smelt good, useful iron.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Personally, I think they could do it as much as any other group out there, more so as they have an indepth working knowledge of BG1 and 2. But I think it is a blown question as I simply don't see it happening. Given the current wranglings that are going on around BG:EE and BG2:EE, and the fact that it has been said any BG3 would quite probably have to go against whatever the newest Rules set from WoTC is appropriate and would require a completely new engine, I simply do not see it being a factor. more's the shame. Still, I have hope.

For me, I am perfectly happy with the Infinity engine. I could absolutely see them making more adventures or additional content based on that engine and still making a profit. I think there is a lot of potential there and would be perfectly happy to vote with my dollars towards the proliferation of additional content/adventures in the Sword Coast (or elsewhere) in a like vein of BG1 or 2 or even Icewind Dale series.

And then there is always Project Infinity, The next Planescape and the upcoming Wasteland 2. All delicious good stuff to come.
    I just love what they do with Bg1, it was my favorite game back then and now I have a lot of fun with the Bg:ee. If they do something similar with bg2 (maybe less bugged, we all hate bugs ^^) it will be perfect. Why I think that bg3 can be a success in their hands?

-The personality/dialogs of every single npc in the blackpit especially Baeloth (You Pathetic Pack of peripatetics!)
    -The personality/dialogs/little story of Neera/Dorn/Rassad
    -The way Baeloth was introduce in the main storyline and the way Viconia react to this encounter
    -The ‘speculate’ storyline of bg3

I would love to have my good old rpg game in an enhanced version; bg1, bg2, iwd1, iwd2, planescape, toee on a tablet and be able to play everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.