Skip to content

Please, don't make Baldur's Gate 3

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    shawne said:

@Mathsorcerer: A fallacious argument - one doesn't need to be a director in order to have a critical opinion of a film. By the same token, you don't need to have the ability to write stories in order to critique them.

In fact, in my experience writers are generally the worst people to ask for criticism; we have a nasty tendency of rewriting stories and plots in our critique, which is rarely what you're looking for when you're looking for feedback. :)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    True enough, @shawne. Nevertheless, it is siginifcantly easier to negatively criticize a video game because it contains x and y (which both suck) but not z (which would have made gameplay/the scenery/the characters better) than it is to work on making a game that takes advantage of the criticizer's high standards. No game is perfect and no game will please everyone; similarly, no game can include all the content everyone wants or it would be a 1 TB install.

There are things I disliked about BG1, just like there were things I disliked about SoA/ToB, IWD/HoW/TotLM, Fallout 3, New Vegas, BGEE, etc. In fact, there are little things I disliked here and there about every game I have ever played. Rather than complain about them, though, I either sold the game back used (if possible), gave it away, threw it away, let it sit on my bookshelf never to be played again, or--in the case of BGEE and the other games that I can mod--corrected that which I found problematic or nonsensical.

Clearly, the price of artistic creation is that some will dislike your work, sometimes vociferously and loudly. Haters gonna hate, so sayeth the wise Alaundo. I still applaud the work done by the devs for BGEE in successfully resurrecting the franchise and I hope their stay in legal limbo doesn't last too terribly long.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    RedGuard said:

Well I've seen people put forth a case for dealing with loose ends from the previous games or just continuing the story. Continuing the story can mean adding another chapter to the Bhaalspawn chapter, but it could also be a different story inolving CHARNAME and his/her companions. I don't personally subscribe to the idea some do that you can't have any games after that.

I'm not personally interested in a BG3 where the only continuity you see from previous games is the odd bit of background lore and at best a cameo from an npc or two. That just seems more like a spin off than a sequel. I think that's fine for another game, but not for BG3.

What loose ends, exactly?

What would a different story entail? What level would you be at the start? What level would you be by the end? When did CHARNAME find the time? Why is CHARNAME not a god, or a preposterously powerful mortal with +6 weapons and armor? You really can't answer any of these questions in a satisfactory manner. There's too many variables, the game can end in two completely different ways, the game balance would be weird, and there's really no place for another chapter in the timeline. CHARNAME's story is over. We were with him or her from the beginning up to the end.

Sorry, but after TOB, there's really no place the story of CHARNAME can go. There comes a time when stories when all stories need to end. A new story set in Baldur's Gate is really the best way to go.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    @Calmar Even if you disregard Adul's post and go with the notion that no one involved ever wanted a BG3 that involved CHARNAME, I don't see how that should have any affect on what I posted. Or should I suddenly change my opinion to suit or simply just not express it?

@Schneidend It's a story. It's not set in stone. I personally wouldn't bat an eyelid if we saw another canon ending. I don't think that's quite the blasphemy some on these boards tend to think it is. You can tell me I'm wrong all you want or that there is no way to follow on with CHARNAME, I'm just not going to agree with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Adul said:

@Schneidend If you haven't yet read this interview yet, I heartily recommend it. In it, George Ziets talks in detail how he imagines a Baldur's Gate III that's built around the continuation of CHARNAME's storyline.

The story sounds idea interesting, actually. The mechanics of having more than one avatar at the same time, however, sounds a bit annoying. Replace that weaksauce with being able to raise a few BG2 characters as your exarchs or angels.
    It's not a requirement for every RPG for the protagonist to start out as a lowly commoner.
    Well, given that I never suggested as much, and was perfectly fine starting BG2 at level 7-9, I would suppose that it is indeed not a requirement.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Adul said:

@Schneidend If you haven't yet read this interview yet, I heartily recommend it. In it, George Ziets talks in detail how he imagines a Baldur's Gate III that's built around the continuation of CHARNAME's storyline. It's not a requirement for every RPG for the protagonist to start out as a lowly commoner.

I actually like this idea for a game, however, not in a canon heavy universe such as Forgotten Realms. It would be a unique way of introducing a new universe. However, I can see someone getting a hold of this idea and destroying it and making it a fb game or something *shudder.*

But on second thought, that'd be a cool marketing idea to sell this new universe and game. Having actual people competing to be gods in a social network and then implementing them as the gods of their chosen portfolio once an actual console game (like Dragon Age) was ready to be released. But then on third thought, I really wouldn't want to play a game where a bard goes "All hail the god of Music and Poetry - Justin Bieber." *shudder*
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    edited July 2013
    My suggestion is to liscense Dragon Age 3 and convert it to a total overhaul of Dragon Age Origins in that nice looking frostbite engine hmmmn hmmmn ... I spent something like 700+ hours playing that thing, kinda unbelieveable ... Uh, and just call that baldur's gate 3 ... Cash Money!!$?!
    deltago said:

I actually like this idea for a game, however, not in a canon heavy universe such as Forgotten Realms. It would be a unique way of introducing a new universe. However, I can see someone getting a hold of this idea and destroying it and making it a fb game or something *shudder.*

None of the video games are canon, anyway, so it doesn't much matter.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited July 2013
    Unless you count the classic MMO/F2P tower defense game, Cannon Fodder.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    RedGuard said:

@Schneidend It's a story. It's not set in stone. I personally wouldn't bat an eyelid if we saw another canon ending. I don't think that's quite the blasphemy some on these boards tend to think it is. You can tell me I'm wrong all you want or that there is no way to follow on with CHARNAME, I'm just not going to agree with you.

When a story is over, it's over. To me there's nothing as disappointing to a story than some forced retconning that dilutes all that was important and meaningful in the previous installment. I think that's what they did with Diablo III, it only weakens the credibility of the storyline.

I prefer a spiritual successor with a new plot and cast to lengthy retcons.
    Calmar said:

RedGuard said:

When a story is over, it's over. To me there's nothing as disappointing to a story than some forced retconning that dilutes all that was important and meaningful in the previous installment. I think that's what they did with Diablo III, it only weakens the credibility of the storyline.

I prefer a spiritual successor with a new plot and cast to lengthy retcons.
    Well, Diablo II ended on a pretty ominous cliffhanger with the World Stone destroyed, so there was definitely room for a sequel there.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I wish Overhaul and Beamdog much success.

I have always wished that the Infinity Engine or similar interface could be used to run literally hundreds of full scale DLC 'modules', if you will. This has been my hope since I played my first BG1 campaign. I don't care if the new content is linearly related, tangental or totlay new. Just give me more quality content. (imagine how cool it would be remaking famous old P&P modules to run in the Infinity Engine.)

It is one of the best ways to play D&D ever devised IMO.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

I find this silly; if somebody makes BG3 and it isn't good, don't buy it.

But what's the point of being a fan if you can't throw a tantrum and complain about how your childhood has been destroyed whenever your favourite franchises are revisited after an extended hiatus, ya know?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    TJ_Hooker said:

But what's the point of being a fan if you can't childlishly throw a tantrum and complain about how your childhood has been destroyed whenever your favourite franchises are revisited after an extended hiatus, ya know?
    Fixed that for ya.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

TJ_Hooker said:

But what's the point of being a fan if you can't childlishly throw a tantrum and complain about how your childhood has been destroyed whenever your favourite franchises are revisited after an extended hiatus, ya know?
    Fixed that for ya.
    In case there's any confusion, I was joking.
    TJ_Hooker said:

TJ_Hooker said:

Fixed that for ya.
    In case there's any confusion, I was joking.
    I thought that was obvious. I guess my attempt at humor was not so obvious. sorry. I was laughing with you.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Khyron said:

just like how BG:EE's new content flows perfectly into that game and doesn't seem alien to the original game at all.

If the content they make for 2EE flows as seamlessly into the original game, and is on par with it, just like how BG:EE feels.. well.. it's looking good so far.

Okay sorry what. Have you just never played Vanilla BG, only TuTu with the NPC mod and twenty or so others? BG:EE's new content stuck out like a sore toe, make no mistake. It's completely legitimate to like said content (I did for the most part), but let's be honest; it felt like BGII content not BG1 content.

That said, as a result, BGII:EE will probably kick ass. But yeah.
  • Lions_fanLions_fan Member Posts: 19
    1130210 said:

I honestly totally agree with this forum topic, especially the first post. In fact, I've been trying to say for a LONG time on this forum that the developers needed to get their act together, to no avail. In many instances it just resulted in bashful fights, and finally *someone* says it?

Open your eyes people, leave nostalgia out of the equation for once, Baldur's Gate EE was no true success! For example, the new areas they made were amateurish at best, and the content was very nil and void in terms of actual content. Reviews were mediocre. And if reviews don't make games, how come the top studios get 1,000,000+ views? I look at reviews.

Let's be honest, they have one chance. They have one chance to make sure their next remake of a game succeeds. It's a tough thing to do. For right now, Overhaul doesn't have what it takes.

Hate to say I called it a long time ago, much as it upset everyone. One visit to their site to see the hundreds of other games Beamdog has pumped out is all you need to see. It looks like a cheap gaming site from the 90's you'd get to by clicking the flashing banners. Expecting a BG installment of the same quality from them is a pipe dream.

This is not however a failure or naivete. A lot of potential suitors saw how large and dynamic this series' fanbase is over the past many months, and it'll be much easier to find a respectable company to fund a worthy addition, possibly even BG3, because of this.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited July 2013
    Lions_fan said:

Hate to say I called it a long time ago, much as it upset everyone. One visit to their site to see the hundreds of other games Beamdog has pumped out is all you need to see. It looks like a cheap gaming site from the 90's you'd get to by clicking the flashing banners. Expecting a BG installment of the same quality from them is a pipe dream.

This is not however a failure or naivete. A lot of potential suitors saw how large and dynamic this series' fanbase is over the past many months, and it'll be much easier to find a respectable company to fund a worthy addition, possibly even BG3, because of this.

I'm curious to know what other games Beamdog has been "pumping out"?
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    In response to my previous comment... Look, we all want there to be a Baldur's Gate III, but I'm sure we all have our doubts. I, too, have my doubts because it's impossible for ANY ONE of us to be completely assured that Baldur's Gate III will live up to its name. Why? Because it's just natural. Baldur's Gate is a sensitive game series!

In my previous comment, I said that I didn't think Beamdog had the abilities to create Baldur's Gate III. Well allow me to be the first, and only person, to revert from that decision and give my fullest support to Beamdog. I'm sure everyone on this topic has already made up their minds. But in this tentative situation, I think we all should give Beamdog our support. Not for if they can or can't create Baldur's Gate III, but because I think Baldur's Gate III needs to happen. As we all do.
    Lions_fan said:

Yeah, note to the wise. There is this book series with really crappy mono color covers. The books look like the outside of a crayon box only with one color per book. Really crappy covers. Therefore the books themselves must also be crappy.

Game of something or another?? Or is it Song of something firey and cold??? Anyway, looks like total crap from the outside. Best steer clear of it entirely. Just sayin.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Ville said:

[...] Maybe make it for Xbox one too but no PS4 please. [...]

I am curious about something, @Ville. Why did you single out the PS4 to not get the hypothetical game? Such a fantastic game idea absolutely deserves to be on all systems.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Whoever does BG3, I hope they do it in 5e rules. BG3 would be great flagship for Wizards D&D Next.
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    Best discussion ever. Pretty please don't make it!
This discussion has been closed.