Skip to content

Pricetag of BG IP

killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
Come 19th juli, what Would be the final hammerstroke ?

Or Will it go on auction at all.

Exciting times!!!
  1. Pricetag of BG IP88 votes
    1. Less than 10000 $
        3.41%
    2. 10k - 100k
      14.77%
    3. 100k - 500k
      21.59%
    4. 500k - 1000k
      12.50%
    5. More than a million
        7.95%
    6. Specific amount (type in comment)
        4.55%
    7. It wont go on auction, some other Company Will aquire it before
      15.91%
    8. It wont go on auction, Beamdog Will aquire it before.
      19.32%

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    567435,23€
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited June 2013
    with our luck, it will be someone like RIAA. Or Westboro baptist church.
    ...or staying with video games - EA. (thanks @Kaltzor)
    Post edited by Southpaw on
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    @Southpaw I really doubt either of those two care about video games... But if you want a bad company that could get them... There's always EA...
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    That was the closest choice for what I think.
    I doubt there are any company that really is interested in the BG ip, except Beamdog.

We would have seen a BG3 by now if anyone was really interested in doing one. But instead companies are creating their own universes with their own IP.
    They don't want some other company deciding the rules and ask for permission if they can change some of them so it works with a cRPG.

Main income for acquiring the BG IP will be when BG2EE is released. And that will probably be too little for anyone to really bother with if they have to split it with Beamdog and others.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Fairly sure that whoever bought the bg ip would have to get the approval/go-ahead of at least wotc if not some of the other partners as well .
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It's impossible to give any exact number because we don't know any ins and outs of this auction. We don't know what particular rights regarding BG are affected and in what way. The legal proceedings are not so simple. And if it's a bankruptcy everything becomes much more complicated. And if there're intellectual property rights it's just... so hard to understand and to foresee.

The key subject here is the exact scope of rights.

The situation is different to just selling franchise rights. We do know that the Atari brand itself will start at $15 million, Roller Coaster Tycoon - at $3.5 million, Test Drive - at $1.5 million, Humongous, Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise, and Math Gran Prix - at $500,000 each, Total Annihilation - at $250,000.

But regarding BG selling everything is not possible due to other existing copyright holders. There's probably a vast system of neighboring (related) rights to it and the precise scope of what is on this auction is unknown to the public.

From the legal point of view, even if it's only a right of reproduction, it can have hundreds of forms. And there're also distribution, importation and so on.

Moreover, even if there are some starting numbers they are just what Atari wishes, not necessarily what they will go for.
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    @southpaw the thought of the westborrow baptist church obtaining this game. Their NPC's would just be hilariously bad.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

@southpaw the thought of the westborrow baptist church obtaining this game. Their NPC's would just be hilariously bad.

Dorn would be taken out of the game rofl
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Quartz said:

It might just be rewritten so that he's struck by lightning all the time, because God hates him. In fact, all the NPC's are pagans, witches and assorted other sinners, so they'll all have to be smited.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    No idea on valuation..I do hope its not EA though. Don't know if Beamdog has the coin to aquire either. Obsidian or InExile would work though :-) or even Harebrained Schemes..anybody but EA..ANYBODY!
    If it goes EA I'm out.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    I thought BG would be part of a bundle of IP (I.e. not individually auctioned off)?
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    'Someone' will aquire it, there are still fans out there and money to be done.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i suspect it will have lost a ton of value after more than 10 years of not seeing anything, until the EE. i am sure there will be some sort of legal mess over all this however, considering how many people own a piece of the rights. who knows though, maybe obsidian can see this as another chance to make BG3 as they almost did before.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @bengoshi from where you got those numbers? Any official place where this can be seen?
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    If I were Beamdog, I'd take out a company loan to purchase the rights, then take out a loan on the company itself (now valued much greater, as rights holder) to pay the staff. They're in the hole financially, but as rights holders they would be free to sell the game through whatever channel they want and would no longer be sharing the profit with Atari, just the other contract holders (Hasbro?).

That would really tie their future to success of these games, and they'd be in a shit load of debt.. but at least they'd have a clearer future as rights holders.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    kamuizin said:

@bengoshi from where you got those numbers? Any official place where this can be seen?

"The auctions are scheduled to take place in July, pending court approval. The most valuable single asset is Rollercoaster Tycoon, which will require a £3.5 million minimum bid. The Test Drive racing franchise will be available for $1.5 million.

But the most promising lot may well be the Total Annihilation franchise - a classic RTS designed by Chris Taylor and Cavedog Entertainment - which could be sold for as little as $250,000.

Atari has requested that some of its assets be sold outside of the auction process, on the grounds of their "minor value." "

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-23-atari-seeks-USD22-2-million-in-bankruptcy-auctions

http://www.geek.com/games/atari-plans-to-auction-off-all-its-game-assets-in-july-1556174/

There is also a Wall Street Journal article about it. Apparently its in court documents, though I'm too lazy to figure out where they were filed :) (probably New York).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Mortianna said:

Coutelier said:

Quartz said:

It might just be rewritten so that he's struck by lightning all the time, because God hates him. In fact, all the NPC's are pagans, witches and assorted other sinners, so they'll all have to be smited.
    If the Westboro Baptist Church got a hold of BG, they would probably make Bhaal the Lord of Homosexuality and the protagonist's story would be about resisting the "evil taint" of his diabolically gay father. All of the quests would involve protesting across the Sword Coast, especially at other temples/churches and funerals of any high-profile homosexual, but mainly protesting to piss people off and cause chaos and strife.

It would be pretty easy to implement WBC members in the game. Just use the soundsets for the Unseeing Eye cultists: "Kneel and repent!" "Cast off your old beliefs and be saved!"
    "Evil taint."

Heh.

You said "taint."
    edited June 2013
    @elminster I don't suppose you, or anyone else, have access to Bloomberg Law or the US Court Document system PACER, do you? If so, we could see what they say about the BG IP (valuation, etc).
    edited June 2013
    agris said:

@elminster I don't suppose you, or anyone else, have access to Bloomberg Law or the US Court Document system PACER, do you?

Nope.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Atari don't own the BG IP, from what I understand, Wizards of the Coast do.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Thanks for the explanation, @bengoshi! Awesome to know. :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    You wanna know the truth?
    You can't handle the truth!
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2013
    bengoshi said:

Apparantly WoTC own intellectual property rights as well (but these rights are different).

From what I understand, Wizards of the Coast own the intellectual property rights to D&D. Which means it also has rights based on the derivative works - which is why you can see their logo at the bottom of the screen, and why Overhaul would need to communicate with them on occasion (or regularly?). Atari owns the rights to the Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal titles and distribution rights, and the rights to derivative works (I'll avoid saying that Atari owns the intellectual property, and refer to it further as simply 'rights').

I've dealt with this sort of thing quite a bit due to work, unfortunately, but can't give any insight into a bankruptcy case. Especially in the US. Which is why it's good to see someone here who can give that insight :).

A hobby project* I was doing some time ago where I was rendering reference material for artists on deviantART (from the Mass Effect trilogy) required that I get permission from BioWare/EA. After about three months, I got permission with the following provisions (copied directly from the e-mail):
    • Copyright cannot be assumed over anything created from usage of the reference images (BioWare owns the copyrights to the characters)
    • No commerce. People cannot sell or profit from the images or works based on them – not even for charity (it tends to get very complicated very quickly)
    • BioWare must be credited as the copyright holder for the reference images (which I believe you’ve already done), this holds true for derivative works as well though (things created based on the references you provide).
    • You can’t (and you’re probably already aware of this) represent yourself as a BioWare or EA employee, agent or representative.
    So, basically, BioWare/EA owns the rights to everything I render (models are ripped straight from their game, so that was a given), but they also own the right to everything created using the reference material. So long as people don't try to sell, make a profit from, or claim ownership (even a creative commons licence) of their own work in which they used one of the references, everything is fine.

Technically, in this case, Wizards owns the intellectual property of the D&D universe - which includes the Forgotten Realms, the locations in which the Baldur's Gate games are located in, and the rule-set that the games (mostly) operate by. Atari owns the rights to the Baldur's Gate franchise. Even though they own that, I'm not sure about the rights to create more games based on the BG franchise. I am also not quite sure how Interplay/Titus Software or inXile Entertainment would fit into all of this, since the distribution and derivative rights would apply to just about any company that touched it depending on how the contracts were dealt with.

Given the legal mishmash, the franchise may not go for near as high as people think. No matter who purchases the BG franchise, they will also have to answer to Wizards; that might make people uncomfortable with the idea of not actually owning what they paid for**. If the entity that purchases it owned the entirety of what it had bought, it could go for a couple million. That's not the case, though, and could prove to be something out of a nightmare for the entity that does purchase it.

* I pointed out that it's a hobby project because the legalities of it would probably seem quite restrictive under the circumstances. That can be multiplied by just about any number imaginable in the case of BG.

** Unless they happen to be Beamdog, since they already get along well with Wizards. Or Wizards themselves may place a bid on it, which will probably make life for everyone considerably easier and a lot less uncomfortable.

At least, that's my take on it. It could very well be off the mark. I'm not entirely familiar (not at all familiar, I should say) with U.S. law.
    Interesting to note, in atari's listinging of assets (pdf attached, pg 50) they don't mention anything related to BG or AD&D.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    Indeed intersting. @agris.

Points Towards the fact that, BG wont go ón auction at all. Unless its a part of the 15 mill atari brand package. Which it probaly isnt, as its not displayed there Either.

Which leaves the question, if they arent selling it, what is to become of the franchise. And is it indeed a Sign that BG already is somewhere Else. And that we're just waiting for the 19th to have everything legally back ón wheels again.

agris said:

Interesting to note, in atari's listinging of assets (pdf attached, pg 50) they don't mention anything related to BG or AD&D.

Very insightful find :)
  • MaiNoKenMaiNoKen Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2013
    I put 500k-1000k. To be frank, I think the full cost will be quite steep for Overhaul, but will be affordable for Hasbro and EA. Hasbro is, in my opinion, a much better company than EA - in terms of the management and profitability. :-)

Well let's hope the auction will go well. At least, it should close the chapter with Atari's troubles.

The fact that the BG is not on the list is indeed curious. I am not bankruptcy lawyer, so I do not know if this means that it has already been bought by someone else.