Skip to content

Murder in Baldur's Gate

WotC is now making adventure named "Murder in Baldur's Gate" with Bhaal logo on its cover:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/45370000

I guess some people here might be interested by it.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    What is the sundering? Is it set after 4ed? Because I'm not interested in the forgotten realms lore after what happened in 4ed
  • KarsusKarsus Member Posts: 11
    ajwz said:

What is the sundering? Is it set after 4ed? Because I'm not interested in the forgotten realms lore after what happened in 4ed

Sundering magical retcon event 4e->dnd next/5e. Apparently when Fearun Elves made Evermeet 17-19k years before "now" they nuked half of Toril 3 times. Once in their past IIRC -31000, once in their present -17600, and once in their future circa ~1480.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    The sundering is the transition from 4e to D&D Next.

And looking at the cover... maybe Sarevok is back...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do I see Coran...and Edwin..and Minsc...on the cover?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    WOTC

Y U NO MAKE GAME SOONER WHEN AD&D RELAVENT!?!?!?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I am...tempted. If only because I'm curious about the storyline. 4th Ed or not, I can easily adapt the stats of any creatures to any edition with a few hours work.

Release date in August, I think I'll leave this for now, come back when I have more information.

With the text "this product includes a harrowing 32-page adventure in which the player characters defend Baldur's Gate against an ancient evil long thought slain.", the earlier rumors of Bhaal returning and the massive Bhaal logo on the cover, I think I know what it'll be about.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I somehow doubt it'll be related to the BG games...

And the people on the cover, what I see is... A human female thief, elven mage (the one on the left, he seems to be wielding a staff), the guy in the robes could be either a mage or a cleric... The elf in the back is probably a fighter considering he's got a greatsword... And then there's the guy who's got the Flaming Fist emblem on him...

Really there's only the Bhaal symbol, and using the symbol of the universe god for murder on something called "Murder in Baldur's Gate" feels kinda normal.
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    very interesting! definitely going to keep eye on this to see what the storyline is about as well. I agree with @drugar that itll be about Bhaal in some way.

@lunar my eyes must be playing tricks on me as well!

not to start any rumors or beat a dead horse, but does anyone think this could be a possibility for a BG3 story line?
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    lunar said:

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do I see Coran...and Edwin..and Minsc...on the cover?

Well, there's a big bald guy, but he doesn't have Minsc's tattoos or any miniature giant space hamster on him that I can see. Although the elf does somewhat resemble Coran...

If it IS a "Bhaal returns again" storyline, I don't doubt that the release of BG:EE and the increasing public intrest in old D&D RPG's inspired someone at WotC to set that adventure in Baldur's Gate, along with putting some dudes on the cover who are inspired by BG NPC's.

Reactions like "Is that Coran and Sarevok?" or "Is this Baldur's Gate 3?" are probably exactly what they are going for.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I don't really think the guy looks like Sarevok... Two things, I do believe Sarevok has a lighter skin tone than that guy in the picture and Sarevok is gigantic... Big enough to use a normal sized greatsword one handed.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Coran: Hail good friend ! I am most pleased to see you here, you of all people! Your timing could not be better, as I am in most dire need!

Charname: Coran? What are *you* doing here?

Or :Coran? Shouldn't you be dead? :P
  • VishnuVishnu Member Posts: 66
    Price: $34.95 C$41.00

I'm kinda glad I stopped buying anything from them after the release of the 4th Edition. This price is abusive. I'm curious about the storyline though!
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Coran: Hail good friend ! I am most pleased to see you here, you of all people! Your timing could not be better, as I am in most dire need!

Charname: Coran? What are *you* doing here?

Or :Coran? Shouldn't you be dead? :P

Not enough likes! :'D!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Even if that's not Sarevok, that armor is still rad. The artwork in general looks great. I just wish I could find a larger pic.

It's a shame a module like this did not come out when 4E was still being supported.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Vishnu said:

Price: $34.95 C$41.00

I'm kinda glad I stopped buying anything from them after the release of the 4th Edition. This price is abusive. I'm curious about the storyline though!

LOL. I remember when the DMG cost less than that. I want to say it was like $25.00 or some such (back in 1980ish). Modules were like $5 or so and we made sure we got our money's worth.

But then I remember when they created fire, so.... Boy was that a media blitz. I had to jump right on the internet (or as it was called back then a BBS) to see that video. that guy almost burnt his nose off.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, it refers to an ancient evil long thought slain. Which could easily be Bhaal, who would be long dead by the timeframe I think this would take place in, and he was originally a very ancient evil assassin. Kinda expecting some extrapolation of the temple in the undercity.

Laugh my ass off if it is about Myrkul coming back! ;)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    DreadKhan said:

Laugh my ass off if it is about Myrkul coming back! ;)

Yeah. You know, between the Bhaalspawn Saga and NWN2:MotB, I'm really hoping for a game that let's us mess with Bane. Go for the trifecta!
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Didn't Bane recently come back through his offspring who had taken his place? It would be interesting to see something dealing with that and Bane's rise to power again.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    hrm...my wife informs me that you are able to "eat" Myrkul's spirit (what remains of it) if you play through Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2. Couple that with Bhaal's probable return and now you tell me that Bane is returning? So....

...why did we have to go through the Time of Troubles?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880

...why did we have to go through the Time of Troubles?

Indeed. Should've stayed with 1e. :P
    When you eat Myrkul's essence in MotB, you completely devour his essence, destroying him.
    You can also lay it to rest, dissappating it into the cosmos.

Regardless, you utterly destroy Myrkul's remaining divinity so I don't think he's coming back.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Bane came back in 3rd edition. He hid his divinity in Iyatchu Xvim, until he hatched out. All hail the Black Hand!

Nwn games would be no more canon than bg games. What about the Crown? And the kickass horned harbinger class?!?
  • RaistlinroxRaistlinrox Member Posts: 1
    In this module, which is 96 pages, it includes stats/conversion for 3.5, 4e, and (I assume) will have the Next content online for download like they do currently for Encounters.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Very informative, @Raistlinrox!
    If it has content for 4E, I might have to pick it up and run a Baldur's Gate campaign. A blessing and a curse on you both, sir, for tempting me to run a third campaign besides my homebrew 4E game and my Star Wars Saga Edition game!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

LOL. I remember when the DMG cost less than that. I want to say it was like $25.00 or some such (back in 1980ish). Modules were like $5 or so and we made sure we got our money's worth.

Bah... I remember when there were just three classes - fighting men, magic users, and clerics - and we liked it! :-)
  • EejitEejit Member Posts: 55
    **SPOILER**

The Monster Supplement for this module lists Abdel Adrian, and includes Bhaalspawn Slayer and a template for Chosen of Bhaal.

So more related to the shitty novel rather than the games (though the story doesn't appear to match with the novel either)
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    Eejit said:

**SPOILER**

The Monster Supplement for this module lists Abdel Adrian, and includes Bhaalspawn Slayer and a template for Chosen of Bhaal.

So more related to the shitty novel rather than the games (though the story doesn't appear to match with the novel either)

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    Eejit said:

*eyetwitch*
    Any idea what the plot'll be yet? My expectations just went from sea level to Mariana trench.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Eejit said:

Abdel Adrian

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, forget killing Hitler. When I invent my time machine, I'm going to kick Philiip Athans in the groin and make him re-write EVERYTHING! It'd be like 'Misery', but totally justified.

I'd do the same to Lucas when he wrote The Phantom Menace....