Skip to content

Which IE game has the most beautiful scenario design?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
Something that IE games did like no other were the flawless scenarios that contributed so much to the atmosphere of each game. Which one do you think that contributed the most ?
  1. Which IE game has the most beautiful scenario design?153 votes
    1. Baldur's Gate 1 (Candlekeep, The sword coast, The city of Baldur's...)
      16.34%
    2. Shadows of Amn - ToB (Athkatla, countless temples , Underdark, Sahuagin city...)
      26.80%
    3. Icewind Dale -HoW (All the frozen north , dungeons , elven ruins...)
      31.37%
    4. Icewind Dale 2 (Targos, Fortresses , Forests...)
      13.73%
    5. Planescape : Torment (Sigil , other planes...)
      11.76%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Can't judge all those games myself, but I do prefer BG2 to BG1. There's more variety and BG2 looks better overall imo.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Iwd was downright gorgeous for its time. Also, the plot nugget, if examined, was often backed by interesting scenarios. The fate of Dorn's Deep and the Severed Hand hint at some good writing, nd the expansions IMHO were actually quite decent, in terms of plot, if brutally short without Trials. Blood Iron is still so kickass. Heck, I loved the unique items period, and the inane variety of treasure, especially the nifty lore for the unique items. Very appealing to the senses, but dull plot wise.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I was going to say BG1 but you had to throw IWD in there. Dorns Deep and just about everything else is perfect.
  • john_boyjohn_boy Member Posts: 18
    IWD
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I haven't played Planescape before, but my favorite one has to be BG1. Discovering the web of intrigue as you delve deeper and deeper into the Iron Throne conspiracy is something I'll never get to experience again and its beautiful.

The IWD series is good, but I dislike the amount of hack'n'slash there is between plot points. And that's coming from someone who enjoys BG1 and 2's combat. I simply ADORE IWD1 and 2's music though!
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    They are all awesome.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    I wanted to vote for BG1, but IWD 2 had really atmospheric places to find.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I like the variety of Shadows of Amn/ToB. You get everywhere from the underdark to deserts, to a few large cities and to large keeps. Its really quite nice.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Icewind dale without a doubt. Nothing like getting to warm kuldahar and after that having to go into the icy tombs to fight with the undead.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    I think IWD is technically "better", but it's just too desolate for my taste. I like the wilds and open landscapes of BG best.
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    I'm a huge sucker for snow, but honestly all the wilderness areas in BG as well as Baldur's Gate... I don't know, it kinda reminded me of Canadian landscapes, and reeked of adventure
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    BG1 as it set THE scene. BG2 built on it's very firm foundations.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    My answer is to what I think you mean by scenario. IWD I will always think of as the most beautiful atmosphere and locations. But map+ monsters+ associated story that all come together as one thing (scenario, I suppose) has got to be SoA for me.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Bg2 has the best, most detailed and various areas. Te plot is much more engaging thanks to dream sequences, interesting npcs and a very succesful villain you'll come to love to hate. (in SoA, anyway)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    I've always thought that IWD had the most gorgeous art, graphics (such as the wood grain design of the interface), and mood of all the Infinity games.

If by "scenario" you mean "ingenuity of the combats and story progression through the modules", the award would probably go to SoA.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    desolate, romantic snowy mountains with ancient secrets to find, IWD has excellent atmosphere and art. too bad linearity and lack of NPC's ruin it for me.

as a whole i consider SOA and planescape (even with sucky combat) much better games.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    btw i'm really glad the rasaad's quest has similar art direction as icewind dale. (snowy) mountains always had very special appeal to me- calm, majestic and mysterious.
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Icewind Dale for me. It was the first IE game I played. Dorn's Deep and the Severed Hand were really amazing. What the game lacked in party dynamics it made up for in atmosphere.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    IWD is amazing in its atmosphere and setting. All the places you visit are iconic and impressive and fit the overall theme, from temples to glaciers to everything. The game certainly has its flaws in other aspects, but it's amazing in its terrain and atmosphere.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The title and poll description ask 2 different questions. A scenario doesn't have to be beautiful to contribute to the atmosphere of the game. For PS:T it's quite the opposite; it's the bizarre and sometimes jarring nature of the visuals (and music) that make them so well suited to the unique story, characters, and setting of the game.
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    IWD with HoW no doubt. it has the following:

* Excellent interface design with the wooden borders.
    * Excellent character portraits to choose from.
    * Excellent Music, that tune that plays in Kuldahar makes me leave my party in town for ages. I actually like going to town to sell stuff.
    * Character sounds, one of the best is the male dwarven one that just goes mmmgrgmmm and a variety of other mumblings. Perfect for a low intellect permanently pissed of dwarven fighter :)
    * The voice acting of the NPC's one of the best being Kresselack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5CwKKtuBc
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    While IWD's artwork and epic storing line was awe inspiring, PS:T really blew my mind. I think PS:T was by far the most imaginative of the infinity engine games I've ever played. Then again, in terms of "hours played" BG2 wins for me hands down. I found the BG2's open world, with an emphasis on character development and party interactions, to be deeply immersive.

So hats off to the original developers for coming up three game series that seem to each hit dead on on very different notes! :)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @FredSRichardson I am in total agreement. Torment is the best IE game, BG2 is my favorite.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I love the story of IWD2 plus I could roll a evil ranger which was awesome and still is since I bought it last night on gog. My favorite for role playing perposes by far. Yeah its not as open but every dialog has the opertunity of going really good in your favore or going haribly wrong and causing you to fight a horde of monsters well a lot of them any way
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    If I had to name the game with best music I'd probably say IWD. It's just that good!