Skip to content

To be vegan. Or not to be vegan? That is the question, inspired by a Poem...

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2013
    @alnair, what about our pet dogs and cats? I know we need good spay/neuter programs to reduce the population of unwanted puppies and kitties, but for the ones we do keep, where do you want them to get their food?

Right now, pet food is made from the byproducts of animals slaughtered for human consumption. In the world you envision where no human being eats meat, how do we feed all the dogs and cats?

There's just something about philosophical veganism that seems extremely idealistic and impractical to me. There also seems to be an idea in it that nature should be gentle, with no suffering in it, and that just isn't the case. Nature is "red, in tooth and claw." It's a harsh world we live in.

I might be persuadable to stop eating meat myself, and search for other sources of protein (eggs and cheese are out because producing them makes chickens and cows suffer). Does it all have to come from nuts and soy? Maybe beans?

But, then, what are my cats going to eat? Don't tell me to get rid of the cats. That is not going to happen. Also, if I had a child, I would be extremely uncomfortable not giving that child some meat protein, for fear of hampering its physical growth and development.

Also, almost everything in the supermarket that I can afford has some kind of animal product in it. Pure, guaranteed animal-free vegan food is expensive. I don't have the money to buy that food. Are you going to pay for it for me if I agree to stop eating animal products?

The whole Vegan thing, when pursued as a radical, no-exceptions philosophy, just really strikes me as upper middle-class, and really impractical. Plus, even if you persuade me to agree with you, I can't see how Vegans (it almost seems like a religion to them) are ever going to persuade enough people to make any difference. All those animals in my local supermarket are already dead. They're going to keep killing more of them no matter what I do. And, I still need a lot more convincing that a vegan only diet is going to be good for my health, and for the health of children.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @alnair I think it would be a far bleaker world for animals if we all became vegans. Animals would just take up space...

Remember you can rear sheep on mountain pastures. Pigs on sand (hence why Denmark, a small country with lot of coast exports so much bacon!) whilst they are felling the rainforest for the latest cash crop Soya (although admittedly it used to be to beef... But no money in it now since the various scandals...)

The fact humans practice animal husbandry shows that we care for and nurture our animals and the habitats they need (which in itself promotes the welfare of other wild animals) I can write this poem, because of this relationship. It would not work in a culture of animal apathy which I think your inadvertently promoting. I think it is this that is causing such a reaction.

Lastly, why become a vegan to help animals? It seems odd. You must find wearing a belt or shoes difficult...

Putting it another way... I am against chronic liver failure caused by the mindless abuse they receive from alcoholics, but I'm not going to stop drinking. It would help no one. Just like becoming a vegan is not going to help one animal. The only way is through EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION! (Then a teacher would say that...Plus you do it because you don't like the taste... Then why so passionate?)

@alnair I love passionate people. Do what you feel is right. Don't let anyone dissuade you. I have enjoyed your tenacity against everyone else on this thread. Let it continue!
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited July 2013
    Sorry, this came out very long, but since @Anduin (the OP) is actively involved in the discussion, I'd rather let him or a moderator decide whether to split the thread or not. I'll put a spoiler tag around most of my answer, anyway.

First of all, let me point out that I don't think veganism advocates NEED to have a solution to any issue that a world-wide switch to veganism would arise. For starters because such a transition, if at all possible, wouldn't happen overnight, thus leaving plenty of time to work out those issues gradually; and also, more importantly in my opinion, because I believe that The Right Thing To Do ™ should be done regardless of the difficulties it may entail (again, providing that they might be overcome eventually). Otherwise - let's stick with the classical example once more - slavery couldn't have been abolished because of the white masters' cotton-picking needs...

That being said, let's see what MY PERSONAL OPINIONS on some of those issues are...

[spoiler]

In the world you envision where no human being eats meat, how do we feed all the dogs and cats?

In my ideal world, dogs and cats wouldn't be living inside human houses/cities, but rather free in the wild, so they would be eating the same thing wild animals eat (compatibly with their physiological needs, of course).

More pragmatically, there are several brands of vegan dog food and some even of vegan cat food. They're not their "natural" food AT ALL, of course, but then neither are veal, salmon or even tuna -- do you know how big a tuna fish is? do you think your kitty cat could kill one of those? actually, I think most cats would have to run for their lives even if facing a fierce chicken. But I digress... I don't usually advocate giving vegan food to cats - who, after all, are real carnivores (while dogs are actually omnivores) - but it's an option.

There's just something about philosophical veganism that seems extremely idealistic and impractical to me.

The idealism is there, undoubtedly, but that's what makes the world advance, isn't it? And I'm sure that, as things slowly change, the "impractical" part will be more and more irrelevant.

There also seems to be an idea in it that nature should be gentle, with no suffering in it

Not in my opinion, nor in that of any other activist I know personally, but I've heard people suggesting things like that lions should stop eating gazelles. Well, that's what I would call nonsense. Yes, it's an harsh world we live in... and that's exactly why each one of us should make our part in making it a little less harsh, since WE have the choice to do so. (Hint: lions don't.)

I might be persuadable to stop eating meat myself, and search for other sources of protein (eggs and cheese are out because producing them makes chickens and cows suffer).

You got that right, but I might add that it also makes them dead, just at a slower (and more painful) pace than "simple" meat production... and anyway meat is what their offspring and used-up individuals (not productive anymore) end up. In fact, one might even argue that beef is a byproduct of milk, and chicken meat of eggs.

Does it all have to come from nuts and soy? Maybe beans?

No, it doesn't. Granted that adults need way less protein than what is usually believed (the so-called "protein myth"), proteins are everywhere: not only nuts and beans, but also fruit, vegetables and cereals contain them, in different proportions and combinations. As always, the best dietary advice is to eat a variety of foods, and believe you me, you might eat a different vegan dish (or two) in every meal of your life....

But, then, what are my cats going to eat? Don't tell me to get rid of the cats. That is not going to happen.

In fact you shouldn't, of course. I think that we shouldn't breed cats, but adoption is the best thing that a stray (or even a shelter dweller) might hope for. And, in order to reduce the number of individuals in need of adoption, spaying/neutering our pets is the lesser of two evils.

Also, if I had a child, I would be extremely uncomfortable not giving that child some meat protein, for fear of hampering its physical growth and development.

That's an unfounded fear. I personally know several children who have been vegan since conception, so to speak: vegan parents, vegan pregnancy, vegan breastfeeding (i.e. the mother was vegan while breastfeeding them), vegan weaning... and they're perfectly healthy and developed, not to mention happy and perky.

But I'm not asking you to believe me on this delicate matter: there is plenty of information out there.

Also, almost everything in the supermarket that I can afford has some kind of animal product in it.

Then you're looking in the wrong section. Ever heard of produce? :)

Pure, guaranteed animal-free vegan food is expensive.

That's simply not true. It may apply to faux-meat and faux-dairy products, but there are plenty of inexpensive vegan options: fruit and vegetables, as long as they're in season and not exotic; beans, nut, cereals; and of course bread and pasta (the "real one" is without eggs, by the way). Here in Italy most regional recipes - the so-called "poor food", in our language - are totally vegan...

Also, do you know how much governments subsidize meat and dairy production? Prices would be very different if that kind of financial help was reserved to farming for direct human consumption - which, by the way, is way more efficient since animals need A LOT of vegetables (not to mention water, up to 15.000 litres for kilogram of beef) to achieve the weight that makes them suitable to slaughtering: "A pound of beef (live weight) requires about seven pounds of feed, compared to more than three pound for a pound of pork and less than two pounds for a pound of chicken." (source: National Research Council. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. National Academy Press.) Most of the time that feed is cereals or beans that could be also eaten directly by humans.

The whole Vegan thing, when pursued as a radical, no-exceptions philosophy, just really strikes me as upper middle-class, and really impractical.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I've been a vegan for several years, and I've never found it "impractical" while having many different kinds of income (or lack thereof) and even traveling extremely low-budget in several different countries.
    And by the way, would you like to know which are the ones I found it the most practical? Romania and Georgia, which are not exactly examples of rich countries... well, over there most people eat only vegan food during certain parts of the year (for religious reasons... pretty much the only time I liked something about any religion :D).

Plus, even if you persuade me to agree with you, I can't see how Vegans (it almost seems like a religion to them) are ever going to persuade enough people to make any difference.

Several possible (and not mutually exclusive) responses to this:
    1) Every single person going vegan makes a huge difference for the animals she's not eating.
    B) Many small drops make an ocean.
    III) As the hummingbird thought while carrying a tiny amount of water to the burning forest, "at least I'll have done my part".
    fourth) We only need to reach the critical mass, then the chain reaction will annihilate the carnist kyriarchy! ;)

All those animals in my local supermarket are already dead.

They have been bred, slaughtered, packaged and delivered to that supermarket because someone is buying their meat. Supply wouldn't exist without demand.

They're going to keep killing more of them no matter what I do.

That's not true (albeit slightly, your reduction of the demand will have an impact), but even if it were, I don't see it as a reason to continue being an accomplice of billions and billions of murders.

And, I still need a lot more convincing that a vegan only diet is going to be good for my health, and for the health of children.

You can find plenty of information about the subject with a cursory search on the engine of your choice (I recommend DuckDuckGo). I will only report my own experience: simply going vegan resolved all the health issues I had, from kidney stones (an inclination to develop them runs through my family), to high sugar blood levels (I have/had three grandparents and my father suffering from insulin-dependent diabetes), to hypertension (my 17 years old brother struggles with cholesterol while I have absolutely none in my blood). I also don't use allopathic drugs anymore and, you know what, I don't remember the last time I caught a flu... I still happen to catch a cold or run some fever during the winter, but I just sleep them off, usually overnight.
    Anduin said:

@alnair I think it would be a far bleaker world for animals if we all became vegans. Animals would just take up space...

The ones that could get accustomed to live in the wild would probably live a happier and quite longer life. Surely they would have to deal with predators and they would have to provide for themselves, but they wouldn't be confined in cages slightly larger than their bodies (sows and hens); they wouldn't be systematically raped (cows) only to see their newborn taken away to be malnourished and then slaughtered (veals) while they finish their life attached to machines causing them mastitis and other infections (dairy cows); they wouldn't be ground up alive by the thousands (male chicks); and so on and so on.

And no, animals wouldn't "just take up space", because I'm confident that humans would be able to establish a much wiser relationship with them, observing them living their life and maybe even interacting without exploiting them.
    Anduin said:

Remember you can rear sheep on mountain pastures. Pigs on sand (hence why Denmark, a small country with lot of coast exports so much bacon!)

So what? Are you suggesting we wouldn't be able to sustain the human population without using every little scrap of land? Actually a vegan lifestyle requires 20 times less land to be sustainable than a omnivore one, so I don't think that would be an issue.
    Anduin said:

whilst they are felling the rainforest for the latest cash crop Soya (although admittedly it used to be to beef... But no money in it now since the various scandals...)

About 70% or 80% (depending on the source) of the world soy crops are still used to feed livestock, so that's what most of the rain forest is being fell for. Other sources go further (I didn't get the last part of your sentence, sorry.)
    Anduin said:

The fact humans practice animal husbandry shows that we care for and nurture our animals

I surely wouldn't like anybody to "care for" me they way humans do for animals: stuffing me with hormones and non-adequate food in order to make me fatter faster, and then cruelly killing me several decades before my natural lifespan's over, is not how I'd like to be nurtured.
    Anduin said:

and the habitats they need

Habitat encroachment and pollution (which is, in turn, largely caused by factory farming) are still the biggest threats to habitats, so that's probably a poor example...
    Anduin said:

I can write this poem, because of this relationship. It would not work in a culture of animal apathy which I think your inadvertently promoting.

I don't see how not killing animals (that's the only thing I'm advocating, after all) would automatically implicate apathy towards them.
    Anduin said:

Lastly, why become a vegan to help animals? It seems odd.

How do you mean? How is refusing to partake in their exploitation not going to help them?
    Anduin said:

You must find wearing a belt or shoes difficult...

There are plenty of vegan belts and shoes, I promise, and usually cheaper and more durable than leather ones :)
    Anduin said:

Putting it another way... I am against chronic liver failure caused by the mindless abuse they receive from alcoholics, but I'm not going to stop drinking. It would help no one.

This makes sense (no matter how much you drink or not drink, alcoholics will still be abusing alcohol)...
    Anduin said:

Just like becoming a vegan is not going to help one animal.

...while this doesn't, to me at least. I've actively helped all the animals I didn't eat since becoming a vegan (sure, they've been eaten by someone else, but the ones they would've eaten instead haven't), and indirectly all the ones that haven't been eaten by people who became vegans thanks to my example/advocacy (I'd dare say quite a few).
    Anduin said:

The only way is through EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION!

Education to what? Be more "humane" while slaughter them? I beg to differ...
    Anduin said:

Plus you do it because you don't like the taste...

I don't understand what gave you that impression... I currently wouldn't stand the taste of meat, that's true, but I loved it before I made the connection between it and the corpses it comes from.

[/spoiler]
    Anduin said:

Then why so passionate?)

Because once you realise the immensely vast carnage going on day after day under the world's nose, you can't keep your eyes shut anymore.
    Anduin said:

@alnair I love passionate people. Do what you feel is right. Don't let anyone dissuade you. I have enjoyed your tenacity against everyone else on this thread. Let it continue!

Oh, don't worry, it's not going to taper off :) I've been involved in such discussions so many times over the years, both online and in real life... in fact I think I definitely should call Bingo :) (I got quite a few of them in this thread alone... not that I'm calling anyone a defensive carnist, of course)
    edited July 2013
    @Alnair, thank you for the long and thoughtful response to my concerns. You've given me a lot to think about.

You know, it's very interesting to me, and on-topic, that now that I reflect on it, when I first read the (harmless?) little children's poem in the OP, and got to the ending where the poor pig, disguised as a lamb, gets killed and eaten anyway, my first, gut, emotional reaction was, "Awww, how sad. That's terrible!"

Then my psychological defenses went into full gear, and, without being conscious of it at the time, I engaged in some extensive reaction formation and rationalization.

"Well, it's a joke. It was written by a child. It's very clever and funny. The little pig thought he was so smart, but he forgot that little boys eat lambs, too. Ha, ha, how amusing. We could put it in a collection of poems and nursery rhymes written by children. Reward that child for his/her brightness! What an intelligent and creative young person!"

And, a flicker of thought went through my head, "I wonder if some vegan is going to come along and point out the darker undertones we're supposed to be ignoring here."

Then, you came in, people locked in their rote opinions, and the topic turned into a debate about veganism.

I believe there are many, many dramas that get played out in families when their children first find out where the meat on their plate came from, and how it was obtained. I think a lot of parents try to avoid letting their younger children find out about it at all. And I do hear all the time about older children and teens steadfastly refusing to eat meat forever after they first "hear the news" about the bloody business of meat.

This issue is also seen in popular culture; for example, we see it in the recurring storyline involving Lisa Simpson's journey toward veganism in "The Simpsons", and with her struggles to hold to her principles over time in the face of almost overwhelming cultural and family pressure to drink blood, umm, I mean, to eat meat.

As an aside, I often wonder whether the current popular stories about vampires might be taken as meat-eating allegories? That's probably not intended by the authors and actors involved, but as I read and watch these stories, it has often occurred to me that we humans, also, survive, thrive, and dominate by "drinking the blood" of other beings, calling them our "lessers," and telling ourselves we have the right to eat them or to do anything we darn well please with them. What will we say if something or someone stronger comes along and says the same to us?

Hmm, you've given me much to think about, indeed.
    edited July 2013
    My apologies. In my long post above, I mistakenly tagged @Anduin, when I meant to tag @Alnair.

Edit @Alnair: How do you feel about fishing? Do you believe fish have a highly developed enough nervous system to be conscious of their pain and to suffer? Many scientists argue that "suffering" as we understand it requires a limbic system in the brain, absent in fish and invertebrates, and that pain and struggle responses are unconscious reactions to adverse stimuli in pre-limbic animals.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    In Days of Olde
    When Knights Were Bolde
    and Toilets weren't Invented

The Left Their Load
    Beside the Road
    and Walked Away Contented

@Alnair, thank you for the long and thoughtful response to my concerns. You've given me a lot to think about.

You're welcome, and you too gave some a new point of view on something... I am, after all, a huge Buffy fan, but I've never thought about vampires that way :)
    (I do recall a few occasions of characters relieved about the fact that the newly-ensoulled vampire of the week was drinking "just pig blood"... apparently Joss, as awesome as he is, is stil a speciesist nevertheless)

How do you feel about fishing?

This way.

Do you believe fish have a highly developed enough nervous system to be conscious of their pain and to suffer? Many scientists argue that "suffering" as we understand it requires a limbic system in the brain, absent in fish and invertebrates, and that pain and struggle responses are unconscious reactions to adverse stimuli in pre-limbic animals.

Many other (e.g. the authors of this paper) reached opposite conclusions from their studies. But do we really need to know for sure how much they're conscious of the pain we're inflicting them - that much is not in discussion - before stopping inflicting it?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Umm, guys, I know I also actively contributed to the whole veganism debate before, but aren't we going off-topic? The topic was about a poem made up by kids, not whether fish could feel pain or not... Besides, if you continue that path of logic, even plants can feel pain, and what will you eat then? Eggs? That would be murder of chicks. And so on. Anyway, maybe @alnair could make a separate topic on this subject? Just a suggestion.
    edited July 2013
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, the topic title is the poem title, and the op contains only the poem, prefaced by a short explanation of its intended audience and educational purpose. It seems to me that discussion of thoughts provoked by the poem are perfectly on topic.

Unless a moderator or the op expresses that he or she sees a problem, I really think people are getting quite oversensitive about this sort of thing. It's turning into a kind of political correctness on this forum, with heavy thought policing starting to occur, and forum members who are not moderators trying to police other forum members. I say, let the moderators do the moderating. That's the job they've agreed to.

And continuing on topic, @alnair has shown me why I had an initial averse emotional reaction to the poem. Anyone sensitive to animal suffering is going to tend to "go there" (i.e., thinking about vegetarianism, carnivorism, omnivorism, and the like), after reading a poem like that, childish playfulness and creativity with rhyme notwithstanding.

In fact, people could discuss whether dark humor was the intent, or whether creativity excuses or trumps ethical meaning or implication, or whether it is beneficial or productive to apply literary criticism to a poem written for children. There are all kinds of thought-provoking ways discussion of poetry can go.

The whole purpose of poetry is to provoke thought and emotion using language. It seems to me, if someone posts a poem, with no other interpretations or points made other than simply posting the poem, that person is inviting whatever discussion their quoted poem brings to mind.

EDIT: btw, having said all that, a new thread appropriately titled with "veganism" or a similar keyword might not be a bad idea. But maybe we've already said all that the three of us who've been going on about it can say.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    Well, this animal-friendly topic attracted a bot. Has anyone heard about Google's Penguin before?
    @Edwin said:

In Days of Olde
    When Knights Were Bolde
    and Toilets weren't Invented

The Left Their Load
    Beside the Road
    and Walked Away Contented

Did you write this? Wait... Is this Shakespearean? It has all the qualities of an epic ballad!
    edited July 2013

Umm, guys, I know I also actively contributed to the whole veganism debate before, but aren't we going off-topic? The topic was about a poem made up by kids, not whether fish could feel pain or not... Besides, if you continue that path of logic, even plants can feel pain, and what will you eat then? Eggs? That would be murder of chicks. And so on. Anyway, maybe @alnair could make a separate topic on this subject? Just a suggestion.

Don't stress, but thank you for looking out for me ;-) As @Belgarathmth points out...

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, the topic title is the poem title, and the op contains only the poem, prefaced by a short explanation of its intended audience and educational purpose. It seems to me that discussion of thoughts provoked by the poem are perfectly on topic.

In fact, people could discuss whether dark humor was the intent, or whether creativity excuses or trumps ethical meaning or implication, or whether it is beneficial or productive to apply literary criticism to a poem written for children. There are all kinds of thought-provoking ways discussion of poetry can go.

The whole purpose of poetry is to provoke thought and emotion using language. It seems to me, if someone posts a poem, with no other interpretations or points made other than simply posting the poem, that person is inviting whatever discussion their quoted poem brings to mind.

In fact when people start dissecting your poem and making quotes, you know you have written a poem

As for intentions, there were many. Most to copy Roald's style... Can you spot them? And any discussion could encompass that or how it differs... LOL you discuss why he was such a popular children's author!
    Yeah, ok sorry. The whole vegan debate's just grating on me a bit. I'll focus on the literary aspect of this poem then. It indeed shows a likeness with Dahl's style. Remember the poem where Little Red kills the Wold and dresses herself in his coat? Same thing happens here. Some kind of cruel black humor, but presented in such a way that it still seems suitable for children's eyes. The poem also reminds e of old nursery rhymes, which also usually contained a veiled combination of some kind of cruel humour.

The whole vegan debate's just grating on me a bit.

Sorry about that, that's not what I wanted, of course: although it happens frequently that people get annoyed when speciesism is exposed, it's never done with foul intentions (indeed, quite the contrary).
    @alnair: I just think idealim of that kind is naive. Humans are omnivores. Humans eat meat and fish. Even animals kill each other in nature. We need to use SOME resources offered to us by nature, you know.

@alnair: I just think idealim of that kind is naive. Humans are omnivores. Humans eat meat and fish. Even animals kill each other in nature. We need to use SOME resources offered to us by nature, you know.

Have you read anything I've written? :)
    Short version of it is: we can live using "some resources offered to us by nature" AND without killing animals -- millions of vegan all over the world are living proof of that... we have the choice to do so (while animals in nature don't), thus I believe that's what we should do.
    That's all: call it idealism if you want, I just call it doing - as much as possible - what is fair and right.
    edited July 2013
    I smiled at the synchronicity when this article appeared in the Chattanooga Times this morning, on the front page of the Life section:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jul/21/some-kids-are-raised-in-homes-free-of-meat/

LOL! And, then, there's this in the back of the editorials section:

http://eedition.timesfreepress.com/Olive/ODE/TimesFreePress/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=Q2hhdFRGUHJlc3MvMjAxMy8wNy8yMQ..&pageno=NDI.&entity=QXIwNDIwMg..&view=ZW50aXR5
    @belgarathmth A report that vegans live longer from PETA... Bound to be biased.

Although too much of anything is bad for you. A little bit of everything (food wise) is good for you. People will say chocolate is bad, but in small doses it is a superfood! With antidepressant and toxin removing agents! It will make you happier just by eating it! But is full of fat, and too much fat is bad for you... Not that you eat it as real chocolate needs 5% animal fat in it to make it chocolate according to EU law.

Anyway... The real reason I am posting is @alnair , that your post saying natural resources are better used being vegan is erroneous. Most crops require flat(ish) ground, water and a good soil. This is at a PREMIUM! It is why people starve.

Animals however can be reared on the side of mountains, wasteland and the scraps left over from humans (ever wondered why shots of people living in arid Africa usually show a few heads of cattle?) or (and I know I'm gonna get it in the neck for this...) bonemeal (basically the scraps of part of the animals not eaten by humans i.e. the skeleton, ground up into pellets) although this practice is not carried out in some countries (notably British and New Zealand and any other farm that sell higher grade animal meat) but animals will eat themselves! Because they don't know and if they did know, they would still eat it because they do not come with a set of morals and ethics that humans have. To them food is FOOD.

You think about that when you lick the back of a stamp (glue created from gelatine that is produced from bovine hooves) or tuck into your harribo! (again gelatine! Surely not one part of the animal is wasted! Every resource USED)

edited July 2013
    Anduin said:

@belgarathmth A report that vegans live longer from PETA... Bound to be biased.

The article is signed by a member of PETA, but "the large-scale study was funded by the National Institutes of Health".
    Please don't stray from facts in order to prove a point.
    Anduin said:

Not that you eat it as real chocolate needs 5% animal fat in it to make it chocolate according to EU law.

Don't know what you're talking about, I live in the EU and eat plenty of "real" chocolate (dark, white, hazelnut, almond, you name it) that is completely vegan. My favourite is even a traditional regional recipe, revisited using fair-trade ingredients.
    Anduin said:

Most crops require flat(ish) ground, water and a good soil. This is at a PREMIUM! It is why people starve.

Is that so?
    People starve because they lack food, and as I already said the better part of food (at least cereals and soy) grown in the world is used to feed animals.
    Mentioning how people in arid Africa have to rely on cattle doesn't change the fact that the western way of eating is responsible not only for the death and suffering of BILLIONS of animals every year but at the same time also for the misuse of land and water (12.000 gallons for a pound of beef... again, talking about factory farms, where virtually all of the livestock of the so-called First World is bred).

Inb4 "biased sources": those articles talk about studies by "a celebrated professor of ecology and agricultural science at Cornell University, who has published over 500 scientific articles, 20 books and overseen scores of important studies". There's no indication whether or not he eats animal products.

(Also, I have yet to see ANY source for your assertions...)
    Anduin said:

You think about that when you lick the back of a stamp (glue created from gelatine that is produced from bovine hooves) or tuck into your harribo! (again gelatine!

I don't do any of those things, but thanks for letting me check the "pointing out an infinitesimal amount of animal product" square of the Bingo.
    Apparently you are, after all, a defensive carnist ;)
    Anduin said:

Surely not one part of the animal is wasted! Every resource USED)

Even if every single atom of an animal's body were used in order to fulfil human needs/desires, I wouldn't find ethical to do so (especially, but not exclusively, when there are cruelty-free means of obtaining the same result).

My replies on this thread are starting to become repetitive... maybe it's time we agree to disagree.
    Of course I'm still available for answering any prejudice-free question on veganism, though, either here or in private :)
    edited July 2013
    @Alnair Your right. I have not identified any of my sources. My degree at university was Human Geography specialising in population issues... It was a mostly malthusian affair... This is funny but I doubt you'll get it... Look the guy up on wiki :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Robert_Malthus

The Malthusian catastrophe is that all populations will eventually starve or fight other populations for resources. I had to write endless theses on farming and feeding people... But it is sloppy not to note sources, but it is just what I know... And probably the other reason why I always get into these debates!
    Anyway... We avoid the Malthusian Catastrophe at present by using an amazingly varied supply of food sources... We basically eat everything. However Vegans are an anomaly as they don't eat everything they can...

This is probably the end of the debate then... Let us use a setting from a world suffering from theoretical Malthusian catastrophe. I am thinking you are a martyr to your cause so I am going to put an other into the equation.

All food has been eaten on the planet due to a dimming of the sun causing massive crop failure, trees have become more susceptible to disease and blight has destroyed root vegetables. However grass and scrub is still growing... Just... War has pounded the cities and they are now radioactive dead zones... You have travelled north with two other survivors. You have not eaten for a week. You are close to collapse and you see, to your amazement, a pig, oink oinking... Your fellow survivors have not seen or heard it as they are close to death and are about to succumb to starvation...

You have a rifle. Do you shoot? Or do you let the pig live?

Note I have not said what you would do either way afterwards as that is up to you...

Lets just assume now if the question was asked of myself... I would make sausages, leave the scraps to attract other animals and hunt for the other pigs to start a farm as I know that they are usually a pack animal...

Lastly. Why do I need to defend meat eaters? It is the norm. We are omnivores remember... We have canines in our mouth to shred meat... You need to defend why you don't use those teeth in you head!
    Post edited by Anduin on
    Well, whatever may be the case, I won't miss out on any delicious duck meat or lamb chops... Vegetarians don't know what they're missing! :p
    Besides, I've been wondering why vegans would refuse to use animal products such as milk and eggs? Milk is very healthy, and cows NEED to be milked anyway. What would you do with all of that milk? Throw it away just because it came from an animal? Such a waste, and quite ridiculous in my eyes. Even babies' first food is mother milk from their mom. Milk contains a lot of useful nutrients which help a kid grow. So to not give a child its needed portion of nutrients in the earliest phase of its life, would be criminal in my eyes. As for eggs, and I'm talking about non-fertilized eggs here, same issue. Why not eat them? They also contain lots of nutrients and are jummy on top of that. Would you not eat eggs just because they come from a chicken? What about butter, cream, wool, leather? These are pretty much basic resources small farms thrived on in past ages. My city, for example, became famous because of trade in textile a couple of centuries ago. I just don't see how vegans would not make use of these resources. Well, maybe it's not strictly vegans I'm talking about, but in any case the people who, aside from eating meat 'n fish also refuse to use products produced by animals. I don't see how shaving sheep could be 'harmful' to them in any way, aside from some accidental cuts and wounds. Sheep would actually be glad to be rid of their wool during hot summer days. And so on. Really, there are some weird peeps walking our globe.
    Besides, even vegan patties contain eggs and diary products, just like the bun. Quite ironic to see some vegans eat such patties and think they're free of doing harm.

edited July 2013
    @alnair: Here, I found an interesting article which gives many reasons why a vegetarian diet is actually not healthy at all. It might also provide other arguments against pro-vegetarian arguments used in this topic.

I highly advise to give it a try!

http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/not-to-go-vegetarian

I will quote a couple of arguments I found the most interesting myself:

8. You'll make a strong political statement

"It’s a wonderful thing to be able to finish a delicious meal, knowing that no beings have suffered to make it"
    Not a single bite of food reaches our mouths that has not involved the killing of animals. By some estimates, at least 300 animals per acre—including mice, rats, moles, groundhogs and birds—are killed for the production of vegetable and grain foods, often in gruesome ways. Only one animal per acre is killed for the production of grass-fed beef and no animal is killed for the production of grass-fed milk until the end of the life of the dairy cow. And what about the human beings, especially growing human beings, who are suffering from nutrient deficiencies and their concomitant health problems as a consequence of a vegetarian diet? Or does only animal suffering count?

Of course, we should all work for the elimination of confinement animal facilities, which do cause a great deal of suffering in our animals, not to mention desecration of the environment. This will be more readily accomplished by the millions of meat eaters opting for grass-fed animal foods than by the smaller numbers of vegetarians boycotting meat.

Vegetarians wishing to make a political statement should strive for consistency. Cows are slaughtered not only to put steak on the table, but to obtain components used in soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, plastics, pharmaceuticals, waxes (as in candles and crayons), modern building materials and hydraulic brake fluid for airplanes. The membrane that vibrates in your telephone contains beef gelatin. So to avoid hypocrisy, vegetarians need to also refrain from using anything made of plastic, talking on the telephone, flying in airplanes, letting their kids use crayons, and living or working in modern buildings.

The ancestors of modern vegetarians would not have survived without using animal products like fur to keep warm, leather to make footwear, belts, straps and shelter, and bones for tools. In fact, the entire interactive network of life on earth, from the jellyfish to the judge, is based on the sacrifice of animals and the use of animal foods. There’s no escape from dependence on slaughtered animals, not even for really good vegan folks who feel wonderful about themselves as they finish their vegan meal.

21. You'll provide a great role model for your kids

"If you set a good example and feed your children good food, chances are they’ll live a longer and healthier life. You’re also providing a market for vegetarian products and making it more likely that they’ll be available for the children."

You may not ever have any children if you follow a vegan diet, and in case you do, you will be condemning your kids to a life of poor health and misery. Here’s what Dutch researcher P C Dagnelie has to say about the risks of a vegetarian diet: “ A vegan diet. . . leads to strongly increased risk of deficiencies of vitamin B12, vitamin B2 and several minerals, such as calcium, iron and zinc. . . even a lacto-vegetarian diet produces an increased risk of deficiencies of vitamin B12 and possibly certain minerals such as iron.”27 These deficiencies can adversely affect not only physical growth but also neurological development. And following a vegan diet while pregnant is a recipe for disaster.

You will, however, by embracing vegetarianism, provide a market for vegetarian products—the kind of highly processed, high-profit foods advertised in Vegetarian Times.
    Post edited by Kitteh_On_A_Cloud on
    So, going on about the two quotes I made:

Have you ever thought about the large amount of insects that have to die just so that your own grains and vegetables are safe and healthy, @alnair? Have you ever thought about all the mice, rats and so on that have to die? Aren't you just as cruel as us meat-eaters, then? Just wondering. Oh, and don't say they're pests, even if they are, they're still animals, right?

As for the 'be a good role model for your children' argument, think of all the quarrels you'll have with your children and how miserable you'll make them, not to mention them feeling how they're being treated unfairly when they see all of their other classmates eat a nice piece of beef. Also, if you teach them meat's bad, they might just go against it out of pure rebelliousness. And that would render your efforts useless in the end afterall.
    edited July 2013
    Also, another interesting quote:

17. You'll cool those hot flashes

"Plants, grains and legumes contain phytoestrogens that are believed to balance fluctuating hormones, so vegetarian women tend to go through menopause with fewer complaints of sleep problems, hot flashes, fatigue, mood swings, weight gain, depression and a diminished sex drive."

Let’s see now, hormones in meat and milk are bad (see Item 13), but by tortured vegetarian logic, hormones in plant foods are good. Where is the research showing that vegetarian women go through menopause with fewer complaints? Numerous studies have shown that the phytoestrogens in soy foods have an inconsistent effect on hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause.26

The body needs cholesterol, vitamin A, vitamin D and other animal nutrients for hormone production. A vegetarian diet devoid of these nutrients is a recipe for menopausal problems, fatigue and diminished sex drive—the dietary proscriptions of the puritanical Graham and Kellogg work very well for their intended purpose, which is to wipe out libido in both men and women.

Lack of cholesterol, vitamin D and vitamin B12 is a recipe for mood swings and depression. If you want to have a happy menopause, don’t be a vegetarian!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, risk of libido and menopause issues, especially for vegetarian women. I don't think anybody here is waiting for a diminished sex drive.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    "The norm" is not an acceptable ethical argument, and it is beyond the pale to imply a cause is not worthy of pursuit because it does not completely achieve its objective.

Reverse hypothetical, you're holding a sledge-hammer and wearing rubber boots, a cow has been lead to the killing floor. Where do you strike it to kill it instantly? What do you do if you miss? Did I say hypothetical? Those are questions a young man asks himself every day.

It isn't all burger-wraps, vacuum-seals and nutritional information.

I'm going to cook a nice spaghetti bolegnese now, and I won't feel bad for eating it. But I won't pretend it's better than any meal @alnair chooses to eat.
    edited July 2013
    I'm seeing interesting and well-reasoned arguments on both sides of the debate here. One thing about milk production though, that I almost never see anybody think of, is that cows don't give milk unless they're pregnant. So dairy cows have to be kept pregnant at all times.

When the calves are born, half of them are males. A few are kept for studs, but most are either killed for veal, or raised to young adulthood and then slaughtered for beef. The females can be raised for dairy cows, but I'm told that the mothers are not allowed to raise the calves in a natural manner, causing exteme emotional upset to both mother and calf. And of course, imagine the sad scene when a male calf is born. Many of these are taken from the mother straight out of the birth canal and slaughtered.

As for eggs, those chickens have miserable lives of terrible suffering, crammed by the thousands into small spaces and tiny cages for their whole lives, and never allowed to roam or do anything that chickens do, unless you the consumer pay more than double price for so-called "free range" chickens, which may or may not actually reduce the suffering these poor, miserable, doomed birds endure.

Now, I don't plan to stop drinking milk or eating cheese, eggs, butter and ice cream. Those are some of my favorite foods, and I think cow's milk consumed moderately is good for humans as a source of vitamin D and calcium, and that there are many good, important nutrients in eggs as well.

But, I do it with my eyes open to the harsh reality of how it comes to my refrigerator. I consider it a necessary evil of the natural business of life. For one entity to live, another has to die. That's how life works, and nobody can change it.

My grandmother grew up on a family farm, and she used to tell me what life was like for her. Her family had to raise cows and pigs, and they had to do their own slaughtering, as well as raising a huge vegetable garden for six children and two parents. If they didn't produce it, they didn't eat. She learned to milk, and then slaughter cows and pigs as a little girl. She even had to do stuff like castrate and de-horn bulls.

I think these stories told by my grandmother, who grew up in the harsh economic reality of rural Georgia during the Great Depression, gave me a deep appreciation for the comparative ease of my own life, and respect for the people who toughen themselves up and do what has to be done so that the most people can have a good life.

And I really understand what @Anduin is talking about with that "Malthusian catastrophe". The world lives on the brink of it at all times, with most of the western population of the world oblivious to just how close everybody is to devastating famine. We need every bit of scientific knowledge and technology we can bring to bear to feed humanity's enormous collective appetite, and yes, we need to use every resource, including animal farming, to get enough food.

These assertions need supporting references, I know, but I don't have the time to look up a compelling case for what I'm saying. I suspect that both the vegans and the omnivores in the debate could find plenty of sources to back up information that supports their own arguments. @Alnair has done a really good job backing up his claims with references, better than the rest of us, actually.

I guess I'll just say for now that I believe what the Malthusians say, because it makes the most sense to me, based on my experience of the world. It seems to me that the Malthusians are seeing the world as it is, rather than as how they would wish for it to be.
    Well, I quoted it in one of my posts. For one being to live, another has to die. What concerns me most is the exponential growth of humanity. We are already with so many, and we keep increasing in numbers. And knowing space travel is still limited and has recently pu on hold due to financial reasons, I wonder when Earth will finally have reached her limits when it comes to feeding us. The one-child rule in China already says a lot. Imagine if every Chinese family had up to four children... I can very well imagine that this rule will soon spread to other countries in the world, well, at least in a couple of centuries...
    @belgarathmth: I didn't know that about cows...I thought they gave milk even when not pregnant... Oh god, that's just horrible...