Skip to content

Some BG 2 Questions

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2013
    SionIV said:

isn't that the same though? You're the average party when you're alone so they will join at your level. Then everyone in your party is the same level as you which is the average etc.

Oh, yes. If you mean playing solo at the start to gain characters at a higher level, that's the same.
    I was just commenting on how the determination is made (i.e., if you have a high-level party, they count. It's not just your protagonist.)

Edit: also, the determination is made when you first enter the area you find the NPC in, regardless of whether you pick him or her up at the time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Hey guys. I got a specific question again, which I'd rather not check a walkthrough for to avoid potential spoilers...

I have just cleared the D'Arnise Keep of trolls and been made Lord of the Keep. I found two of the heads of the 'Flail of Ages', but could not find the third part. The only thing I think I may have missed was a room with Golems... I guessed that trying to access the statues at the end of the room would result in an attack, and I didn't think my party stood a chance against so many Golems of all types.

After being made Lord of the Keep I thought maybe I could access what I assumed was a treasure room without being attacked... but there was nothing there. No Golems and nothing in the statues... I get the feeling I might have missed something important there. Am I right? If it's just a case of Flail of the Ages... I can/will live with it. But is there anything else important with those Golems?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    There is a fair amount of loot behind those statues. But if its gone now, you missed it. If you have a flail wielder in your party, Flail of Ages is as good as it gets. It can be upgraded in ToB too, or at least the +3 form of it can be, I'm not sure about a +2 form.
    Its not just the damage, its the different types of damage. Flail of Ages can hurt almost anything, and defeat most forms of magical protection. It is a very nice weapon. Although of course, no one weapon is ever mandatory, you can still win without it.

BTW, the golems come at you in small groups. One or two for each statue you loot. Its never overwhelming. And its not really looting either, you're told the Flail should be reassembled for fighting trolls, and in the end you own the keep.
    atcDave said:

There is a fair amount of loot behind those statues. But if its gone now, you missed it. If you have a flail wielder in your party, Flail of Ages is as good as it gets. It can be upgraded in ToB too, or at least the +3 form of it can be, I'm not sure about a +2 form.
    Its not just the damage, its the different types of damage. Flail of Ages can hurt almost anything, and defeat most forms of magical protection. It is a very nice weapon. Although of course, no one weapon is ever mandatory, you can still win without it.

BTW, the golems come at you in small groups. One or two for each statue you loot. Its never overwhelming. And its not really looting either, you're told the Flail should be reassembled for fighting trolls, and in the end you own the keep.

Arg... That's rather annoying... and bad design in my opinion. The Golems should be 'servants' of the D'Arnise Household. I intentionally replaced Anomen with Nalia for the quest inside her family home, she should have been able to speak to the Golems and deactivate them. Failing that, there is no reason why the Golems should be gone or the treasures removed once Charname has defeated the trolls.

Now that I've completed the D'Arnise Keep quest, I watched the 'mynameisnotlilly' playthrough of the area, and apparently the +3 version also slows on hits! Which my +2 version does not possess :(

I also missed out on a nice bow and axe apparently. I don't care so much about them... but that Flail is a big loss, especially if it can be upgraded in ToB...

I feel sorely tempted to cheat it in with Shadowkeeper,the game logic seems wrong in this case. BG 2 is not a hack-and-slash game. I should not have to try to kill everything in sight to get the most out of a situation. I thought my approach was the 'sensible' one. Or maybe I am just making excuses for myself lol
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    well for not exploring and killing you missed the best weapon in the game
    zur312 said:

Oh, sure, rub it in :P

There are many good weapons in BG2. FoA is one of them. There are others. I don't think I've done a BG2 play-through where I've used FoA in, well, forever. It's certainly very possible to get by without it.

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    you could but why would you?
    Because you don't have anyone who uses flail?

I usually use it; Aerie or a dual wielding warrior, but not always.
    Wisp said:

zur312 said:

Oh, sure, rub it in :P

There are many good weapons in BG2. FoA is one of them. There are others. I don't think I've done a BG2 play-through where I've used FoA in, well, forever. It's certainly very possible to get by without it.

I didn't expect to find the 'best weapon in the game' on my second quest after escaping Irenicus' Dungeon. :P

Also as I said, I think the game design is a bit stupid. There is no logical reason why the Golems and the treasure would be gone after I saved the keep.
    atcDave said:

Because you don't have anyone who uses flail?

I usually use it; Aerie or a dual wielding warrior, but not always.

For RP purposes, I'd never use Aerie in a melee role, even if it was somehow possible to make her strong enough for that. I was thinking of giving Anomen the Flail. He has no proficiency right now, but even with 2 heads, the flail still provides better THAC0 than a Mace+1, which he is proficient with.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    You can go into that golem room, take the flail head and only the flail head, and no golems will animate. The other "treasure" is there as bait to the greedy.

I've always gotten it before becoming "Lord of the Keep", though. Are you saying that the flail head disappears if you don't have it before? If so, that's a bummer!
    edited July 2013

You can go into that golem room, take the flail head and only the flail head, and no golems will animate. The other "treasure" is there as bait to the greedy.

I've always gotten it before becoming "Lord of the Keep", though. Are you saying that the flail head disappears if you don't have it before? If so, that's a bummer!

Everything disappeared. Golems, loot and all. :(

If Nalia said something like 'Oh there's a flail head in the left/middle/right statue'... then I'd have tried to take it. But I don't see how I total noob like me could've known that. For all I know the third part was with Nalia's father, and I didn't know how many there are in the 'cellars'.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2013
    Nalia didn't know. The FoA is technically cursed, after a fashion, and her father disassembled it and hide it deliberately so that it's presence couldn't be easily discovered, but since it IS a ridiculously powerful weapon he didn't want to just throw it away (he found it during his wilder days as a part-time adventurer before succeeding his father as Lord).

Did you also know that you can get the fire head without killing the captain? No one tells you that it's possible, and unless you know a somewhat obscure rule about charm spells (not mentioned ANYWHERE in game), you probably would never think of doing it....it gives a MASSIVE boat-load of xp for not killing him too.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    What I would do if I were the OP is close my browser and never look up one more word about bg2 until I was finished with the first play through. The main plot is extremely immersing and I wouldn't want to know anything about it. There's plenty of time to powergame it later. Just play and enjoy

...and shadowkeep in a shiny new FoA ;)
    JLee said:

What I would do if I were the OP is close my browser and never look up one more word about bg2 until I was finished with the first play through. The main plot is extremely immersing and I wouldn't want to know anything about it. There's plenty of time to powergame it later. Just play and enjoy

...and shadowkeep in a shiny new FoA ;)

That's why I've asked nothing about plot :) Only very specific questions because I know some planning is pretty important for BG games.
    Again a very specific question. This time about magic mechanics...

I am still struggling to effectively counter enemy cc spells. Prime amongst them is 'Chaos'. I've tried to Dispel its effect, but all I achieved was to strip the affect characters of the magical protections and buffs I had given them.

I know Chaotic Commands supposedly protects against 'Chaos', but it only protects one individual, and thus seems like a waste of a spell slot... Is there any other effective protections/remedies? (My highest level mage is lv9 right now) Thanks.
    edited July 2013

I know Chaotic Commands supposedly protects against 'Chaos', but it only protects one individual, and thus seems like a waste of a spell slot... Is there any other effective protections/remedies? (My highest level mage is lv9 right now) Thanks.

Chaotic Commands is the mainstay against almost everything mind-affecting that isn't fear. Mages have some ways of protecting themselves, through the spell Spell Immunity, but these methods are more limited (e.g., significantly shorter durations).

Other than Chaotic Commands, there is a Greenstone Amulet, but finding it notwithstanding, it has a finite number of charges.
    Wisp said:

Chaotic Commands is the mainstay against almost everything mind-affecting that isn't fear. Mages have some ways of protecting themselves, through the spell Spell Immunity, but these methods are more limited (e.g., significantly shorter durations).

Other than Chaotic Commands, there is a Greenstone Amulet, but finding it notwithstanding, it has a finite number of charges.
    Ok... thanks. I guess I'll start to memorise Chaotic Commands in the future when I get more spell slots. For now it seems like a big investment for a fairly situational spell.
    As you've observed with the frequency of chaos, plus several confusion effects, Chaotic Commands actually comes in handy quite often. It's especially useful to put on your two main tanks. When they charge Umberhulks or Illithids they will draw the attacks on themselves. its also nice for how long lasting it is.
    atcDave said:

As you've observed with the frequency of chaos, plus several confusion effects, Chaotic Commands actually comes in handy quite often. It's especially useful to put on your two main tanks. When they charge Umberhulks or Illithids they will draw the attacks on themselves. its also nice for how long lasting it is.

lol yeah, I say 'situational', but it really is a fairly common situation. It just bothers me a bit that I cannot protect all of my party, and my spell slots are really limited at the moment. I am starting to become a bit more aware of positioning so that my whole party doesn't get hit with one spell.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I still dislike that left out the Mage's Mind Blank (which is a core book spell, while chaotic commands is from a supplement)...which is chaotic commands..except even better. (though also higher level).
    Chaotic Commands is one of the most important spells in BG2. It gets even more important as the game goes on. I always have six divine slots filled with it as soon as I have six appropriate level divine slots available, and I keep it on my whole party at all times. Without it, you are going to be reloading, a lot.
    edited July 2013

Chaotic Commands is one of the most important spells in BG2. It gets even more important as the game goes on. I always have six divine slots filled with it as soon as I have six appropriate level divine slots available, and I keep it on my whole party at all times. Without it, you are going to be reloading, a lot.

I see... I guess I'll start to utilise it more. My theory of magical combat has really focused more on worrying about how to kill the enemy, than how they could kill us. :D But Confusion/Horror/Chaos does seem pretty common.

Oh yeah, without meaning to, I'd ended up with a Divine heavy party, with Jaheira, Aerie and Anomen. I should probably read up on Divine Magic above level 5. lol
    @Heindrich1988, yup - Charm Person, Spook, Command, Hold Person, Horror, Dire Charm, Confusion, Chaos, Domination, Maze (an 8th level mage spell that instantly takes out a toon, and ends the game if it's cast on Charname - with no save!)

These game-ending spells will all be cast with greater and greater frequency as you progress deeper into the game. Chaotic Commands is your best friend. ;)
    edited July 2013
    @belgarathmth

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if you've seen the comment on Youtube, but you mentioned something about Anomen's weapon proficiencies...

Is his proficiencies in spears a bug that misallocated 2 proficiency points on something he cannot use, or 2 extra points that he shouldn't have anyway?

Thanks

ps: I ask cos Anomen is pretty poor in combat at the moment, forcing me to use Jin as my primary (and only effective) tank. I'd thus really like to reallocate Anomen's 2 points into flail so he can properly use the Flail of Ages. Of course, I also don't wanna cheat, so I'll just live with it if Anomen isn't meant to have so many proficiency points anyway.
    I think it's a misallocated 2 points that he should have.

He got four pips at character creation. He went to level 8, which I believe would be two more pips. Then, when he dualed to cleric, he would have gotten at least one more from the dual class. So, he should have 7 pips in proficiencies when you meet him. Or six at the fewest.

Could some rules lawyer please come by and confirm this for us?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@Heindrich1988, yup - Charm Person, Spook, Command, Hold Person, Horror, Dire Charm, Confusion, Chaos, Domination, Maze (an 8th level mage spell that instantly takes out a toon, and ends the game if it's cast on Charname - with no save!)

These game-ending spells will all be cast with greater and greater frequency as you progress deeper into the game. Chaotic Commands is your best friend. ;)

Not only does it cover a fantastic amount of effects but it lasts for 1 turn/level. :D

Is his proficiencies in spears a bug that misallocated 2 proficiency points on something he cannot use, or 2 extra points that he shouldn't have anyway?

It's intended. In one of his banters he claims to have used spears, and in order to preserve balance, some of his missing proficiency points were spent of spears, instead of on something useful (which would have made him more powerful).

Wisp said:

It's intended. In one of his banters he claims to have used spears, and in order to preserve balance, some of his missing proficiency points were spent of spears, instead of on something useful (which would have made him more powerful).

He doesn't seem overpowered at all... His Dex is a major problem, and he doesn't come with nice gear like some other NPCs. What do you mean by 'missing' proficiency points?