Skip to content

Any way to un-update the game ?

Hello there,

Since last current update has a broken console (the one with Italian language), is there anyway to do a downgrade of the current patch to the previous ?

It's such a shame since we don't know if we'll ever have a new patch that will fix the problem.

I guess if I download again the game from Beamdog, I won't have the choice to NOT apply this broken patch...

Maybe an official game downgrader ? ;-)

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Maybe an official game downgrader ? ;-)

Why do I get the feeling that if such a thing were to be made Atari wouldn't let them release that either...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Ikr? The current version of the game does still have some things broken, that were to be fixed in that last patch. So sad. I've gone back to playing Baldur's Gate Trilogy on my Gog.com modded setup for now.

As for the question, I don't know any way to downgrade the game version.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Short of backing up (copy and paste the folder) every update you get (which is what I do), there is no way to downgrade.

It would be nice to get a version selector, but no digital distribution platform that I know of does such a thing. This is, unfortunately, due to storage space for the most part (as well as bandwidth).
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    A version selector when downloading would indeed be a good thing.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    What is the issue you are having with the Console? The Italian update was binary identical to the previous release, except for the dialog.tlk.
    edited July 2013
    Cerevant said:

What is the issue you are having with the Console? The Italian update was binary identical to the previous release, except for the dialog.tlk.

I'm not a programmer so I can't explain it properly but I'm not the only one having these problems (check the bug forum).

I have two PC with Windows 7, similar hardware and drivers updates:

- the first one with BG:EE updated with the "italian language" (patch 8 IIRC).
    - the second one with BG:EE not patched to the "italian language patch" (patch 7 ?).

On my patch 7 BG:EE, the console works properly, as you expect:
    - Numpad and numbers above the letters work to use the console.
    - Special characters ( " , : , ...) can be written.

With the update 8 :

- I can't use the numbers properly (no input when keystroke).
    - I can't use the special characters properly (no input when keystroke).

I have an AZERTY keyboard, and this problem has never occurred before the patch 8 (last patch).
    By default Console is always in QWERTY style, so I guess I could fix this by changing in windows 7 the keyboard style (or with shortcut alt+shift), but this doesn't work either (even if I restart BG:EE)

Therefore, there is indeed a problem (I know it is not linked to the Italian subtitles, but it is certainly in this patch).
    edited July 2013
    @Aasimar069, I cannot replicate the issue on the latest version (2014), with any language (in-game) or any standard keyboard setup (system-wide) (AZERTY, QWERTY, and QWERTZ, just about any non-script language (i.e. Latin layouts)).

What language are you playing the game in (I know you specified the Italian language patch, but are you actually playing with the Italian language)?

For example, using Italian with the French AZERTY layout still allows me to type commands into the console:

So, I am afraid you would need to provide more information - otherwise it is difficult to diagnose.

Anyway, if you have one PC where you only have patch 7, then you can simply remove the newer version and copy the files from the older version to the other PC.
    @Troodon80 : Thanks for replying. I'm not currently playing in Italian, but I can do it if I ever wanted to. I play in English.

I said "italian patch" because it was easier to explain what's the patch. It's the game update 8 from april, 26 2013.

Before this update, everything was working properly (console required characters, selection of characters and dialogues nodes with 1 2 3 4 5 ...)

With this game update 8, there are many problem with everything I mentioned above.

The fact my keyboard is AZERTY is probably irrelevant, but I explained that because I thought it could be the problem.

My keyboard is a Logitech G110 if this can help you.

Concerning data transfer of the game,
    Unfortunately my two pc are in two different houses very far away (work and home place). I'll give it a try when I'll can.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @Aasimar069 - do you have any portrait packs or other mods installed?

Concerning data transfer of the game,
    Unfortunately my two pc are in two different houses very far away (work and home place). I'll give it a try when I'll can.

The game is just under 2GB, so a typical (usually 4GB these days, they cost about $/€/£10) USB storage device should do the trick.

I doubt it is the keyboard, but I don't suppose you have a different keyboard that you could test it out with?
    I could bring a keyboard from work and try this.

I know usb storage drive are cheap now :-)
    I just need an occasion to go to my home town and grab the data