Skip to content

Flesh to Stone vs. Disintegrate

2»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Mathmick said:

In my honest opinion both are really bad.

I remember in one play through against the cult of the unseeing eye, we walked into this one cavern. While looking to see what we could see, I remember seeing this thing moving in slow motion (or so it seemed to me at the time) inexorably towards my Charname. As it got closer, I realized what it was. I was like O... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo! stoned.... Flash to the disintegrating hand cinematic.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    So apparently disintegrate is not as special among death spells as I thought. Things are very different in BG from what I expected... Even golems and many undead are vulnerable to conventional death spells like Wail of the Banshee and Finger of Death. So yeah; FtS and Disintegrate are bad.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    That sounds like shoddy programming if you ask me, since they specify living creatures.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @ZanathKariashi It certainly seems odd... I am not sure they would be interested in changing it though.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I would be glad if a modder made undead immune to stuff they are supposed to be immune to. All death effects except Disintegrate, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, healing spells, etc.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited August 2013
    _N8_ said:

It doesn't make a difference. Ask yourself, would you rather turn your opponent to dust or stone? Which would be more fun?

I would link that one Oglaf comic to show you how petrification can be a lot of fun but I think that'd be going too far...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Well actually...most undead, especially Skeletal/incorporal undead and mummies would actually be immune to horrid wilting. It deals damage by sucking the moisture out of and dehydrating the target.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2013

Well actually...most undead, especially Skeletal/incorporal undead and mummies would actually be immune to horrid wilting. It deals damage by sucking the moisture out of and dehydrating the target.

Exactly! It should only work against vampires, as it can vaporise their bodily liquids:blood. Vampires require copious amounts of blood to survive.

• MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Tresset said:

Mathmick said:

"Magic Resistance/Immunity makes the spell too unreliable to bother".

@Mathmick That is what lower resistance/pierce magic/pierce shield are for!
    For the spells relevant here, all Lower Resistance spells do is reduce the number of Quick-Loads you have to take before you randomly win the encounter. Lower Resistance is a spell better suited for targets you plan to bombard with magical attacks.