Skip to content

System requirements

2»

Comments

• ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    I believe you can only get the App Store only as far back as Snow Leopard (10.6)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Just checked. First version that got it was Snow Leopard on 10.6.6.

Check here...

http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/getstarted/
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    @mike-stefan you should always keep your mac as up to date as possible. I'm not sure if Snow Leopard will run App Store or not, but either way, you should upgrade anyways.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289

@minevese - thanks. Whats PPC? My Mac is Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz with Intel Core Duo and 2 GB Memory. Currently i'm running Leopard I think. I suspect I will be ok from a system hardware perspective, I was more concerned about the OS and whether I should buy Snow Leopard (its about £50)

You will need to upgrade. I think it's a bit pointless to spend £50 on an already outdated OS, though. If I were you, I'd obtain a copy of SL, either from a friend or *elsewhere,* and then spend the $20 and buy Mountain Lion on the app store.
  • jonmichaelsjonmichaels Member Posts: 4
    You can upgrade to 10.6.8, the last version of Snow Leopard. Unfortunately 10.7.x requires a Core 2 Duo Processor or better.
  • dam23dam23 Member Posts: 30
    Maru said:

Please make it trackpad-friendly

Actually, it's definitely trackpad friendly.

I'm running the windows version in Crossover and *I can actually zoom in and out* with the trackpad ;)

Great work guys, can't wait for the native OS X and Android versions.
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    I kind of take issue with one bit of theory being thrown around the thread...i.e., "if it can run the mac app store it can run BGEE." I can say from experience that I bought and even downloaded CIV V based on that theory and was practically scolded with righteous indignation by my trusty old macbook when I tried to run the downloaded (and easily installed) game.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Recil BG is over ten years old. That is why the "theory" holds. The demands to run it are far less than the demands to run OS X 10.6. That is certainly not the case for a modern demanding game such as Civ V.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    It isn't a theory - that is what was said by Philip Daigle on this forum. I don't think that his point was that any program on the App Store is compatible with any computer that can access it, it was pretty clear that he was saying that the minimum system requirements for the App Store were the same as BGEE.
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2012
    In order to Run OS X 6.8-8.2 It requires intel processors and 2G of Ram. That said the infinity engine and updated enhancements do not require anything more than this. But they don't make every single mac the same and Macs using integrated intel graphic are a beast all to their own. A Mac with a separate Graphics card will probably run this game better than ones that are integrated... just a thought.
    Okie doke.
  • tasslehofftasslehoff Member Posts: 9
    I don't think It'll make any difference, they've used openGL just for some gfx effects (spells) , the zoom, the scrolling ; anything else (IMHO) is handled by the cpu and a coreDuo is way too powerful to run an isometric game.
    In general for 2d having a better gpu does not improve the performance, I mean you could move things faster but your eye won't be able to see the difference ^__^
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2012
    Been researching this a bit. The core "theoretical" issues are will the older engine using open GL via OS X with a integrated graphics card on a otherwise very powerful computer be messed up? I had Baldur's Gate 2 by MacPlay and other than Pathfinder issues it ran ok on my PowerPC G5. This game is no longer supported by my OS no games or software designed for Power PC will work on a up to date Lion or Mountain Lion OS.

So this tells me 2 things... 1). The game will be made with this format in mind and be optimized for the vast majority of Macs using said OS. 2). Open GL is a far more stable platform on Mac OS X.

I think.. that the Integrated Macs will be just fine considering the facts. But Macs with a Intel processor and a dedicated graphics card might be the best of both worlds.. but I don't have any proof of this its just a gut feeling regarding the way PCs are handling Intel integrated chips.
    I like pizza. 8\... 8/... :|... yep.
  • katernasterkaternaster Member Posts: 1
    Is it not possible to run it on a 10.5.8?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @katernaster - According to Beamdog's website: "Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition for Mac OS X requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or higher."

http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-II-enhanced-edition-for-mac-OS-X